CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - AssyrianDuke - 02-06-2019 10:13 AM

Didn't SLAW have twins as well? Or am I thinking about someone else?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-06-2019 12:56 PM

(02-05-2019 03:32 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 02:56 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 01:15 PM)Dukes84 Wrote:  
(02-04-2019 06:21 PM)PGJMU2 Wrote:  
(02-04-2019 06:00 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  His father had an agreement with UNCG that he would pay Wes’s salary if Wes was given the job of head coach. That made it much easier to remain patient plus who knows how much else the elder Miller has donated to the school.

I imagine the school started paying Wes’s salary once Wes started to win but before that, they had a free head coach.

well that is interesting. the point remains, that it can take more than 3 years and in Wes's case, 4 years, to see if a coach can build a program.

BTW, what is Richmond paying Mooney? $1 million bucks. what is miami paying laranagga, $1.5million. so paying big bucks doesnt guarantee success. what did mason pay Hewitt, $1 million?

I think Georgetown is paying Ewing about $4M a year. Hewitt probably made close to $1M. Paulsen was making about $750K a year as his replacement. Mooney is probably around $1M. Smart is getting something like $3.5M a year with Texas and Wade is getting $2.5M with LSU.

Richmond is a tough place to coach basketball so Mooney is only part of the problem over there. It's tough to recruit good athletes that want to attend a school of 3000 students, not to mention the work load for their "high academic standards" and the UofR culture (or lack of) Mooney and the ticks are much more suited to be playing in the CAA compared to the A10. He's a good coach but wont find success on a regular basis when you don't have the athletes to compete with your real peers. Mooney at JMU would be worth around 500 - 600K plus incentives and would probably be quite successful.

I believe JMU has the athletes but not the commitment to the coaching.

doesnt Davidson face the same issues as Richmond? Davidson is currently 7-1 and in first place in the A10.

although generally, I agree with you, Richmond sux and no body should ever want to go there.

I don't think Davidson and Richmond are similar "campus culture" wise. Davidson (not far from Charlotte) is a very dynamic place than many kids could see themselves living for 4 years, Richmond is more about the name on their front door. Davidson is affiliated with the Presbyterian Church

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-06-2019 12:58 PM

(02-05-2019 03:54 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(02-05-2019 02:56 PM)RamDawg Wrote:  Richmond is a tough place to coach basketball so Mooney is only part of the problem over there. It's tough to recruit good athletes that want to attend a school of 3000 spoiled rich kids from New Jersey and the UofR culture (or lack of) Mooney and the ticks are much more suited to be playing in the CAA compared to the A10. He's a good coach but wont find success on a regular basis when you don't have the athletes to compete with your real peers. Mooney at JMU would be worth around 500 - 600K plus incentives and would probably be quite successful.

I believe JMU has the athletes but not the commitment to the coaching.

FIFY

Thank you for correcting my oversight! 04-bow

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Dukeman2 - 02-06-2019 08:29 PM

There is no gray area in sports. Every game has a winner and a loser. Louis Rowe and JMU basketball are losers again this year.

The performance appraisal expectations for the program do not change based on who the coach is. Either you meet the metrics or you do not.

JMU is last in the poorly ranked CAA again this year

JMU tied for the worst record in the CAA last year and they held the worst record overall by themself.

In postseason, Coach Rowe lost in the Keener round and didn’t even get to the quarterfinals of the CAA which Bourne expects JMU to advance beyond the quarterfinals.

Once again this year, The Whole was less than the sum of the parts.

When you are not coming close to the metrics for winning and you rank last among your peers for raw performance, then you get a fail every time.

If Rowe doesn’t have a Bourne ultimatum in his performance tracker for this year, I will be shocked and question if JMU wants it bad enough. The program is bigger than one person and JMU absolutely cannot go into a new arena with a losing, or even mediocre coach. I suspect Rowe is tasked with finishing in the top 4 of the CAA and advancing to at least the semifinals of the tourney. If he can do that, he gets to come back for a 4th year and the expectations would be higher. Get to the NCAA that year or get replaced with an experienced head coach who has a winning track record and can open the new arena with excitement and winning in 2020.

Prior to the hiring Bourne stated “With a strong presence on next year's team of upperclassmen who have experienced winning, a new coach can be successful right out of the gate.“
Nope.
Rowe took a program with 80% of its starters returning and 8 seniors (more than any team in the nation) and transformed them from a squad that won 40 games finishing in the top 3 of the CAA in the previous 2 years into a squad that went 10-23, played in the Keener round, and then lost in the quarterfinals.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 02-06-2019 08:58 PM

Unsubscribe

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMUDunk - 02-07-2019 07:14 AM

(02-06-2019 10:13 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Didn't SLAW have twins as well? Or am I thinking about someone else?

*sigh

All the kids are growing up.

After Slaw hitting (not really) on my 13 YO daughter, I was happy to see him have one of his own. Or if two, even better.

We should get ‘Holic and Co to put together a CaaZone reunion game for the fall. I think the first one was 2004-5, we could make up some kinda dumb reason. 15 yr reunion?

Let everyone actually meet dukeman and decide whether he’s actually the debil or not.

Gotta get purplehazed and bulldog out there too! Could be epic.

This could be GREAT!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Deez Nuts - 02-07-2019 08:22 AM

DukemanX gonna act all shocked and stuff when HCLR is coaching next season.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BleedingPurple - 02-07-2019 04:18 PM

(02-07-2019 08:22 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  DukemanX gonna act all shocked and stuff when HCLR is coaching next season.

I agree Lou will be guiding the Dukes next season. Not stating whether he should or shouldn't be the HC for another year, but he'll be there. Sure would be easier to accept it we could walk away from this season with 15+ wins.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 02-07-2019 05:35 PM

(02-07-2019 03:49 PM)fanofallthatisjmu Wrote:  Also, put together a Zone reunion and I'll be there.

Why's holic crying? CAUSE HE JUST GOT DUNKED ONNNNN

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 02-19-2019 11:08 AM

Not really related to Coach Rowe or "Targets for next....." but interesting article showing who may be on the coaching hot seats. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

If I were the person responsible for hiring a mid-major coach, I wouldn't be looking at head coaches from unsuccessful major programs like those mentioned in the ESPN article but an assistant from a successful major program.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 02-19-2019 11:47 AM

(02-19-2019 11:08 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  Not really related to Coach Rowe or "Targets for next....." but interesting article showing who may be on the coaching hot seats. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

If I were the person responsible for hiring a mid-major coach, I wouldn't be looking at head coaches from unsuccessful major programs like those mentioned in the ESPN article but an assistant from a successful major program.

Like Dean Keener?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 02-19-2019 11:59 AM

(02-19-2019 11:08 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  Not really related to Coach Rowe or "Targets for next....." but interesting article showing who may be on the coaching hot seats. http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/25930674/reverse-hot-seat-why-embattled-coaches-stay

I'll only disagree in that there are good coaches that wilt on the vine at schools that are set up to fail. There are many coaches that do well at mid-majors but take jobs with ACC and B1G basement dwellers and flop due to being unable to compete with the entrenched top schools. Not saying Jim Christian is our answer but I wouldn't eliminate a guy with a strong HC record because he couldn't win at Pitt or Rutgers.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - 2Buck - 02-19-2019 12:13 PM

(02-07-2019 04:18 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 08:22 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  DukemanX gonna act all shocked and stuff when HCLR is coaching next season.

I agree Lou will be guiding the Dukes next season. Not stating whether he should or shouldn't be the HC for another year, but he'll be there. Sure would be easier to accept it we could walk away from this season with 15+ wins.

He will be, and my biggest fear is the sheer talent he's recruiting brings about a slight improvement (18 wins, 10-8 in the CAA or something) but the team never plays to its potential due to Coach Rowe's limitations. We could have Brady 2.0 but with the opposite problem (good coach/mediocre program leader vs good program leader/mediocre coach) but the same middling results. If Christmas is a stud, is he going to stay around for an under-performing team? Rowe really needs a mentor.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BleedingPurple - 02-19-2019 12:25 PM

(02-19-2019 12:13 PM)2Buck Wrote:  
(02-07-2019 04:18 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  

He will be, and my biggest fear is the sheer talent he's recruiting brings about a slight improvement (18 wins, 10-8 in the CAA or something) but the team never plays to its potential due to Coach Rowe's limitations. We could have Brady 2.0 but with the opposite problem (good coach/mediocre program leader vs good program leader/mediocre coach) but the same middling results. If Christmas is a stud, is he going to stay around for an under-performing team? Rowe really needs a mentor.

Your words are heard loud and clear. We got a mess...

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - AssyrianDuke - 02-19-2019 01:42 PM

I'm sure he's been mentioned in here before, but how would Mike Lonergan jive among the fans here?

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Hart Foundation - 02-19-2019 02:00 PM

(02-19-2019 01:42 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  I'm sure he's been mentioned in here before, but how would Mike Lonergan jive among the fans here?

Humpty Hitchens would say NO.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMUskinsCaps - 02-19-2019 04:06 PM

(02-19-2019 01:42 PM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  I'm sure he's been mentioned in here before, but how would Mike Lonergan jive among the fans here?

I think that'd be as close to a perfect hire as you could get. The somewhat recent Deadspin article did a good job of showing that Lonergan got screwed over pretty badly at GW.

https://deadspin.com/the-real-story-behind-the-lewd-video-and-bitter-feud-th-1830223615

Someone get this done ASAP.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - NJDuke97 - 02-19-2019 04:29 PM

Lonergan May be a good coach who was railroaded to some degree but I doubt he’ll get another shot in D1 - in today’s environment being caustic/abusive to kids and saying inappropriate things are career killers. You or I may agree with that or not but it’s jyst the way it is. Universities are conservative and they won’t risk the potential backlash. You’re better off cheating or having a recruiting violation that saying something rough to a student athlete. It’s just the environment we are in.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 02-19-2019 04:35 PM

Lonergan could have been an exceptional coach, but doesn’t have enough self-control to bite his tongue. I don’t think that deadspin article exonerated him at all. He came across as childish & immature. Yeah, the AD was a complete turd too, but that doesn’t make Lonergan better.

If he was a viable coach, he would have another gig by now.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMURocks - 02-19-2019 06:26 PM

The problem is it’s hard to know what Lonergan did or didn’t say, and he isn’t publically discussing it. Most of the news quotes were anonymous and could have been part of a “hit piece” retribution for his whistle blowing on the AD’s behavior. The public facts are fuzzy at best on this.

It sounds like GW signed some type of non-disclosure settlement with him, which suggests the school/AD were in the wrong here.

This is the type of coach uncle Ron may have given a shot (Lefty was considered toxic too), but I doubt the current admin will.