CSNbbs
Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Targets for next Head MBB Coach (/thread-867451.html)

Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Oldduke - 12-31-2018 10:15 PM

Okay, I'll throw a name out there.

Billy Donlon.

Current Northwestern Asst. Coach

Head Coach at Wright State for 6 years before being fired BUT that move was heavily criticized by some.

Article from 2016: https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/college-basketball/tom-archdeacon-wright-state-firing-donlon-angers-many/KF1uHy2XpMAqJojXlrFd8K/ Some very interesting comments from other coaches as well as parent of one of his players.

He's 41 years old and could very well be ready to be the head man of a program once again.

He was a thorn in JMU's side during his playing days with UNCW in the late 90's.

Current position: https://nusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2476&path=mbball

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - #YEEHAWDUKES - 12-31-2018 11:10 PM

Cent

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 01-01-2019 12:02 AM

(12-31-2018 11:10 PM)#YEEHAWDUKES Wrote:  Cent

I might make him my assistant!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Oldduke - 01-01-2019 12:05 AM

Sorry BSKB, we haven’t had much luck with former players as coaches!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - BSKB 24 - 01-01-2019 12:07 AM

(01-01-2019 12:05 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  Sorry BSKB, we haven’t had much luck with former players as coaches!

I'm so old very few would remember I ever played!

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmuroadwarrior - 01-01-2019 05:38 AM

(01-01-2019 12:07 AM)BSKB 24 Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 12:05 AM)Oldduke Wrote:  Sorry BSKB, we haven’t had much luck with former players as coaches!

I'm so old very few would remember I ever played!

Do you even remember? 04-cheers

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 01-01-2019 11:34 AM

Can we stop the DII coaching hire talk?

Is this where we are, we can't even hire a 1A basketball coach anymore. We already have to hire DII football coaches.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - nyduke - 01-01-2019 01:13 PM

not interested in names yet as I feel thats a bit disrespectful to current staff. Lots of basketball to be played still and Im hoping they can turn it around. However, I will say if change is made we must pay at top level of league. I would use 700k as a starting point.

you get what you pay for and with returning talent, new arena and incoming recruits we have alot to offer.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMUNation - 01-01-2019 01:22 PM

Top level in CAA is something like $460k. I believe that is the NU coach. Salaries were in another thread. The cost of living in Boston is quite a bit higher than Harrisonburg. I am thinking $400k is the most JMU would have to pay for the coach to be at the top of the CAA salary scale with the cost of living adjustment. It is likely lower. I am too lazy to do the research.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - HyperDuke - 01-01-2019 01:30 PM

More important than what other CAA schools pay, how much does JMU need to pay to attract a winner? The peer-comparison approach is only smart when the coach hired is a winner. I would argue comparing to other CAA salaries is foolish because no other CAA school has a sleeping giant fanbase like JMU.

Does $400k bring a guaranteed winner to Harrisonburg? We don’t need to be cute with our math based on saving a few pennies. Winning is what matters. Attendance and revenue will follow.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Purplehazed - 01-01-2019 01:51 PM

(01-01-2019 01:30 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  More important than what other CAA schools pay, how much does JMU need to pay to attract a winner? The peer-comparison approach is only smart when the coach hired is a winner. I would argue comparing to other CAA salaries is foolish because no other CAA school has a sleeping giant fanbase like JMU.

Does $400k bring a guaranteed winner to Harrisonburg? We don’t need to be cute with our math based on saving a few pennies. Winning is what matters. Attendance and revenue will follow.

Plus, how many CAA programs are building a $90,000,000 basketball arena and are supposedly positioning themselves for a conference move. Mid pack CAA for MBB does not make dollars and sense especially with the athletic budget even if the athletic budget fully supports every sport every gender in the ncaa.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmufan2008 - 01-01-2019 02:17 PM

Yes and yes, Hyper and Hazed. Time to stop cheaping out. Sure, maybe $400k would get us someone who could keep us between #100-150 in the country and top 3-4 in the CAA, but is that our goal? If we find a great coach that wants to come here, but it takes $600k+ then we need to do that. Let's aim for top 50-75 in the country. Again, $88 million arena on the way. We're averaging a little over 2k in attendance right now, but the new arena will hold 8,500...that's a 6k swing in attendance and $1.3 million in lost ticket sales if we were to fill the house.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 01-01-2019 02:48 PM

Danny Manning may soon be unemployed

Also don’t know much about the Gardner-Webb Head Coach but they’ve beaten Ga Tech and Wake Forest on the road this season. Given GT and WF are perhaps the two worst teams in the ACC but still.

I wonder what the Radford HC is making???

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - dukes5 - 01-01-2019 03:47 PM

Jones is scheduled to make $230k the next 4 years.

Sent from my FRD-L14 using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Wear Purple - 01-01-2019 06:19 PM

The Detroit Lions have released their Offensive Coordinator, Jim Bob Cooter. I don’t know if he has any experience coaching basketball but it doesn’t really matter to me. I just would like to see us with a head coach named Jim Bob Cooter. Make it happen, Bourne (and Alger).

:-)

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - EvanJ - 01-01-2019 09:35 PM

Donlon coached Wright State in a loss at Hofstra on December 15, 2012, and Hofstra went 7-25 that season.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - JMad03 - 01-01-2019 09:44 PM

Who shouldn't be a target:
-JMU Alumnus
-No head coaching experience
-Losing record

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - RamDawg - 01-02-2019 09:53 AM

(01-01-2019 02:17 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Yes and yes, Hyper and Hazed. Time to stop cheaping out. Sure, maybe $400k would get us someone who could keep us between #100-150 in the country and top 3-4 in the CAA, but is that our goal? If we find a great coach that wants to come here, but it takes $600k+ then we need to do that. Let's aim for top 50-75 in the country. Again, $88 million arena on the way. We're averaging a little over 2k in attendance right now, but the new arena will hold 8,500...that's a 6k swing in attendance and $1.3 million in lost ticket sales if we were to fill the house.

Agree 100%! We need to stop thinking "$ XXX,000 will be top pay in the CAA." Except for one or two programs, CAA Basketball in it's current state isn't even mid-major, more like low major. (IMHO) JMU has/will have everything in place to be a top destination basketball job/program. How many quality coaching prospects will show interest when we say we're paying around $400K? A top 50-75 coach with the tools to build a successful program is at least $600K.

It's way too early in the season to call for Coach Rowes head but I do believe this is the "do or die" year for him. I hope I'm wrong, I really like LR but....JMU took a shot and if this doesn't pan out, I hope our admin puts their big boy pants on.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - jmudukes - 01-02-2019 09:57 AM

(01-02-2019 09:53 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 02:17 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Yes and yes, Hyper and Hazed. Time to stop cheaping out. Sure, maybe $400k would get us someone who could keep us between #100-150 in the country and top 3-4 in the CAA, but is that our goal? If we find a great coach that wants to come here, but it takes $600k+ then we need to do that. Let's aim for top 50-75 in the country. Again, $88 million arena on the way. We're averaging a little over 2k in attendance right now, but the new arena will hold 8,500...that's a 6k swing in attendance and $1.3 million in lost ticket sales if we were to fill the house.

Agree 100%! We need to stop thinking "$ XXX,000 will be top pay in the CAA." Except for one or two programs, CAA Basketball in it's current state isn't even mid-major, more like low major. (IMHO) JMU has/will have everything in place to be a top destination basketball job/program. How many quality coaching prospects will show interest when we say we're paying around $400K? A top 50-75 coach with the tools to build a successful program is at least $600K.

It's way too early in the season to call for Coach Rowes head but I do believe this is the "do or die" year for him. I hope I'm wrong, I really like LR but....JMU took a shot and if this doesn't pan out, I hope our admin puts their big boy pants on.
We have the talent on this team. Louis Rowe played under Lefty Drisell (one of our best coaches) played pro ball, so what is the problem? We still have time to get it together.

RE: Targets for next Head MBB Coach - Oldduke - 01-02-2019 10:13 AM

(01-02-2019 09:57 AM)jmudukes Wrote:  
(01-02-2019 09:53 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  

We have the talent on this team. Louis Rowe played under Lefty Drisell (one of our best coaches) played pro ball, so what is the problem? We still have time to get it together.

I have never understood why it is automatically assumed that if a person has been exposed to good coaching, played well as a collegian and/or professional that it translates to being a good head coach. We have two prime examples (Sherman and Lou) where that hasn't been the case. Being able to coach at your alma mater is a nice feel good story, but doesn't necessarily results in wins. This next hire NEEDS to have a decent track record of serving under quality head coaches as assistants (and not just Director of Operations) as well as having actual (successful) head coaching experience himself. I would say a minimum of 5 years as HC experience. Also, some coaches just seem to be better as assistants/recruiters rather than the head coaches. You can't substitute experience. We have great examples of that with our last two football hires. That mind set needs to be translated over to the MBB program also.