CSNbbs
Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again (/thread-867317.html)

Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - Statefan - 12-30-2018 11:32 AM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25642158/cotton-bowl-notre-dame-fighting-irish-say-clemson-tigers-result-sway-future-cfp

One ass-whippin' and the media pounces. Ohio State could have taken that same ass-whippin' if they had not laid an egg at Purdue.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - BePcr07 - 12-30-2018 12:13 PM

Nothing new but always a hot topic. I don’t expect Notre Dame to join the ACC unless access to the playoffs is severely or even entirely hindered by its independence.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - domer1978 - 12-30-2018 12:47 PM

These types of whoppings may make access for us tighter. I believe after what I witnessed yesterday I understand the thought. It was embarrassing to do this again.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - georgia_tech_swagger - 12-30-2018 01:35 PM

The reason for ND to join a conference vanishes when the playoff expands to 8. That's a sneaky reason why the Big 12 and B1G and Pac-12 want it. If the ACC is the swing vote they'd better demand massive regulatory changes to CFB as a condition of voting yes.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - Statefan - 12-30-2018 01:48 PM

(12-30-2018 12:47 PM)domer1978 Wrote:  These types of whoppings may make access for us tighter. I believe after what I witnessed yesterday I understand the thought. It was embarrassing to do this again.

Your players are not as good as Clemson's. Your coaches are not as good as Clemson's. You know your overall talent level is below Clemson, Bama, Georgia, and OU. It may be below Ohio State and LSU. You overachieved. In a pre-playoff era with just polls you might have won half the title.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - ndlutz - 12-30-2018 03:53 PM

I think talk of ND needing to abandon their history of independence because of a year where they went 12-1 and lost in the playoffs to a terrific Clemson team is crazy.

This is knee jerk reaction. Nothing will change in the future on this.

I'm a lot more interested to hear talk about expansion to 8 teams in the playoffs. I truly believe that's on the horizon. The B1G being left out two years in a row is a huge impetus for change in college football.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - random asian guy - 12-30-2018 04:06 PM

The decison makers will need to make some changes eventually. 8 team play off or maybe champs only model. The article says Mr Swofford likes the current four team playoff. Big ten will be fine with the four team playoff as long as its team gets selected. The champs only will nearly ensures it.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - BePcr07 - 12-30-2018 04:15 PM

(12-30-2018 03:53 PM)ndlutz Wrote:  I think talk of ND needing to abandon their history of independence because of a year where they went 12-1 and lost in the playoffs to a terrific Clemson team is crazy.

This is knee jerk reaction. Nothing will change in the future on this.

I'm a lot more interested to hear talk about expansion to 8 teams in the playoffs. I truly believe that's on the horizon. The B1G being left out two years in a row is a huge impetus for change in college football.

Exactly. It would take the committee specifying it was conference champs only or a perfect season Irish getting left out.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - Hokie Mark - 12-30-2018 04:23 PM

(12-30-2018 04:06 PM)random asian guy Wrote:  The decison makers will need to make some changes eventually. 8 team play off or maybe champs only model. The article says Mr Swofford likes the current four team playoff. Big ten will be fine with the four team playoff as long as its team gets selected. The champs only will nearly ensures it.

Top 4 conference champions is better than what we have now (let's be honest: what are the odds of the ACC ever getting 2 teams into the playoffs anyway?). I still prefer all P5 champs + best G5 champ + 2 at-large, but this is a compromise I could live with -- anything to prevent the SEC from getting 2 teams in while the ACC is left out -- that would be my worst-case scenario (which has already happened to the Big Ten!)

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - DawgNBama - 12-31-2018 03:06 AM

(12-30-2018 11:32 AM)Statefan Wrote:  http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25642158/cotton-bowl-notre-dame-fighting-irish-say-clemson-tigers-result-sway-future-cfp

One ass-whippin' and the media pounces. Ohio State could have taken that same ass-whippin' if they had not laid an egg at Purdue.

Much ado about nothing. Next!!

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - XLance - 12-31-2018 05:49 AM

(12-30-2018 01:35 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The reason for ND to join a conference vanishes when the playoff expands to 8. That's a sneaky reason why the Big 12 and B1G and Pac-12 want it. If the ACC is the swing vote they'd better demand massive regulatory changes to CFB as a condition of voting yes.

Even if the playoff expands to 8 with some form of champs only (plus wildcards), an undefeated Notre Dame will have a hard time getting an invitation next time. They may choose to stay semi-independent but their "golden ticket" has been used up.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - random asian guy - 12-31-2018 08:55 AM

(12-31-2018 05:49 AM)XLance Wrote:  
(12-30-2018 01:35 PM)georgia_tech_swagger Wrote:  The reason for ND to join a conference vanishes when the playoff expands to 8. That's a sneaky reason why the Big 12 and B1G and Pac-12 want it. If the ACC is the swing vote they'd better demand massive regulatory changes to CFB as a condition of voting yes.

Even if the playoff expands to 8 with some form of champs only (plus wildcards), an undefeated Notre Dame will have a hard time getting an invitation next time. They may choose to stay semi-independent but their "golden ticket" has been used up.

12-0 ND will get selected even if there is only one at-large spot in my opinion. ACC should push for the four team champs only playoff at this point. Once ND is in, we can start talking about the 8 team playoff.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - ndlutz - 12-31-2018 09:58 AM

Undefeated ND gets in unless a rule prevents it due to having to select conference champions or the best G5 team.

RE: Media Vultures Question ND Indepencence Again - Hokie Mark - 12-31-2018 12:06 PM

(12-31-2018 09:58 AM)ndlutz Wrote:  Undefeated ND gets in unless a rule prevents it due to having to select conference champions or the best G5 team.

It's theoretically possible that you could have four 13-0 conference champs selected ahead of a 12-0 Notre Dame... but it would have to be the "right" four teams, IMO. Like if those teams were Alabama, Ohio State, Texas and either USC, Clemson, FSU or maybe Oregon... even then I think there's a lot of pressure on the committee to pick ND as the 4th team.

However, that's an extremely unlikely scenario - in a realistic case (i.e. fewer than four unbeaten champs) I agree with you - an undefeated ND gets in every time. The issue for them is if they lose just one game, they're probably out - and that's most years, IMO.