CSNbbs
2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: Rice (/forum-444.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter (/thread-866404.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-16-2018 07:02 PM

With the completion of Fall Ball, and the end of the semester, it's time to turn our thoughts in earnest toward the upcoming 2019 season, and our prospects for the inaugural season of the Matt Bragga era. Despite Bragga's reputation as an offensive-minded coach (with his recent Tennessee Tech teams among the national leaders in almost all offensive categories), it would appear from the outset that the success of this Rice squad will ride on the depth and quality of our pitching staff.

While still early, here's how I see our lineup and pitching staff shaping up...

C DiCaprio/Collins/Frazier
1B DiCaprio/Collins (I believe the current game plan is to have the two rotate between 1B and C)
2B Edwards/Gneitting/Jefferies (assuming Edward's elbow issue finally allows him to hit-- still TBD)
SS T.Cruz
3B Comeaux
LF A.Dunlap/Cox (assuming Andrew applies and gets accepted into grad school-- still TBD)
CF Cox/Beaulaurier/A.Cruz
RF Gneitting/Brewer/Duluc (perhaps a righty-lefty platoon?)
DH A.Dunlap/Brewer/Duluc

Obviously, if Andrew Dunlap enrolls and returns for his final season, it provides our offense with a huge boost, and gives the lineup 3 power hitters (Dunlap, DiCaprio, Collins). My biggest concern is that we're going to be fielding an overwhelmingly right-handed lineup, with only Trei Cruz (switch hitter) and Gneitting as left-handed bats....and there are no other left-handed hitting position players on our roster. Quite the change from the past several seasons when we had Proctor, Chandler and Gray as central figures in the lineup. If Andrew Dunlap enrolls and Cade Edwards is healthy-- both big "ifs"-- I think the offense can hold its own. If not, we're really going to struggle scoring runs-- against anybody, and the defense will suffer, as well. Outfield defense is likely to be an issue regardless.

Friday starter: Canterino
Saturday starter: Moss
Sunday starter: Parthasarathy, Greenwood, Jefferies
Midweek starter: Parthasarathy, Greenwood, Jefferies

Jack-of-all-trades (the Abe Gonzales/Bobby Bramhall role of years past): Kendall Jefferies (I actually love him in this role, and think he's more valuable here than strictly as a starter)

Closers: Gayle, Garcia (both somewhat unproven, but both with unquestionable talent and upside)

Middle relief: Esquivel (finally healthy again), Kravitz, Deskins, Lewis, Jackson

If Kendall is used in the role I prescribe, we could have the best bullpen we've had in years, especially if Corey Barton can get Kravitz, Garcia and Gayle to take it to the next level (and from everything I've heard, Barton has become a big fan of Evan). And though our starters are all right-handers, Deskins and Kravitz give us two solid southpaw arms out of the pen. And while Esquivel doesn't have plus stuff, people forget how effective he was for us as a 5-inning starter a couple years back, before he suffered dead arm. I really like him as a 1 - 2 inning reliever, who doesn't have to face the lineup a second time through.

Clearly, our greatest strength is in our starting pitching, with Canterino-Moss arguably the best 1-2 in CUSA, and capable of keeping us in the game against anybody. Parthasarathy appeared in Fall Ball to have regained his early Freshman year form, before he got injured, and he (and Kravitz) both lost a ton of weight and appear to be in the best shape of their lives. Greenwood and Deskins did nothing but impress throughout Fall Ball, and should be major contributors.

I welcome opposing thoughts.

UPDATE: Based on the post below from SwedeOwl, Andrew Dunlap has been accepted into the Jones School, where he will seek his MBA, while playing his final season for Rice. Great news! Now to get Dom and Cade healthy!

2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - owl at the moon - 12-16-2018 08:08 PM

(12-16-2018 07:02 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  I welcome opposing thoughts.

Good. I disagree with your premise.

It’s not “way too early” to talk baseball.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-16-2018 08:10 PM

(12-16-2018 08:08 PM)owl at the moon Wrote:  

True, but it is too early to put forth an accurate preview of the upcoming season.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - mrbig - 12-17-2018 12:49 PM

I appreciate the preview, however early.

I will believe the bullpen will be better when the results start rolling in. I feel like you have prognosticated this each of the last few years, and the bullpen just didn’t click during the season. Lots of the same names have been inconsistent each of the past few seasons.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - ExcitedOwl18 - 12-17-2018 01:50 PM

I will judge Barton's work off two things:

1) Whether or not our pitchers' control improves (It was better in '18 than '17 but still far from good).
2) Decreased "burnout" in our pitchers as our season progresses. Less dead arms, etc.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - Frizzy Owl - 12-17-2018 02:16 PM

We have a pretty good pitching staff.

I'm not as optimistic that the pitching staff will be great this year. That projection depends a little too much on hope that this time things will be different - and injury-free.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-17-2018 05:43 PM

Exactly 60 days to opening day!

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-17-2018 06:39 PM

(12-17-2018 12:49 PM)mrbig Wrote:  I appreciate the preview, however early.

I will believe the bullpen will be better when the results start rolling in. I feel like you have prognosticated this each of the last few years, and the bullpen just didn’t click during the season. Lots of the same names have been inconsistent each of the past few seasons.

Yes and no.

Canterino-Moss-Jefferies are all proven commodities, and all three upped their game last season. No reason to believe the trio won't be at least as good, if not even better, in 2019.

Few of us knew that Zach Esquivel pitched all last year despite never recovering from the dead arm he developed late in the 2017 season. From what I heard, he couldn't throw a curveball without pain and, consequently, was forced to pitch with only a fastball - changeup arsenal, which is awfully hard to do successfully when your fastball is not a plus pitch. He's finally fully healthy, and there's no reason to not be the same key contributor he was in 2017.

Similar story with Jackson Parthasarathy. Lights out his first 5 starts his Freshman year before suffering the arm injury. He then essentially missed the next 1 1/2 years, returning to shutout LSU for 4+ innings in relief in the Baton Rouge regional. For whatever reason (he looked out of shape) he never put it together last year. His Fall Ball performance was one horrendous outing after another. This year has been different. Not only is he in the best shape of his life (according to his dad), but he was impressive in almost every Fall Ball outing, as well as his one-inning stints in both exhibition games against SHS and the Aggies. And he's striking people out with a high frequency. He makes a perfect change-of-pace Sunday starter for us, following two hard throwers in Canterino and Moss. Jackson has good movement on his 88 - 90 fastball, which sets up his plus changeup as his out pitch. He also has a more traditional, swooping curveball as opposed to the hard, hammer curves of our 1-2 starters.

I admit I've always been a fan of Evan Kravitz, but he did pitch much more consistently toward the second half of last season. For the first time in his Rice career he was throwing strikes. Wayne just never had any confidence in him, and he was always on the shortest hook of anyone on the staff. From what I've heard, Corey Barton loves Evan, and expects big things from him this year.

Newcomers Greenwood and Deskins are obviously unproven, but they certainly were consistent and impressive throughout Fall Ball.

The wild cards, admittedly, are Garcia and Gayle. Both have elite stuff and have flashed signs of greatness (and against quality teams), but both have struggled with their control and consistency. It remains to be seen whether Corey Barton can get them to step up to the next level. If he can, we have the potential to be a VERY, very good pitching staff.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - ExcitedOwl18 - 12-17-2018 06:56 PM

If Esquivel couldn’t throw a curve without pain, why was he pitching in the first place? He should have been redshirted (typically not a thing in baseball but I don’t see him as a high draft pick who will bolt before his eligibility is up).

Those are the type of reckless personnel decisions I hope to see greatly reduced under the new staff.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-17-2018 08:35 PM

(12-17-2018 06:56 PM)ExcitedOwl18 Wrote:  If Esquivel couldn’t throw a curve without pain, why was he pitching in the first place? He should have been redshirted (typically not a thing in baseball but I don’t see him as a high draft pick who will bolt before his eligibility is up).

Those are the type of reckless personnel decisions I hope to see greatly reduced under the new staff.

Couldn't agree more. The other thing with Zach, which I mentioned in my original post above, though he was effective as a starter for us through much of the 2017 season, his lack of elite and overpowering stuff makes him much more effective as a 1 - 2 inning reliever. He relies on changing speeds and location, and keeping hitters off-balance, which rarely works a second or third time through the lineup as hitters make the necessary adjustments. (Note-- he was used as our closer early in the 2017 season, before Otto returned from injury.)

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - Swede Owl - 12-17-2018 08:49 PM

An early Christmas present for Owl fans--Dunlap will be getting his MBA at Rice, and will be on the team this year.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - NYNightOwl - 12-17-2018 09:49 PM

(12-17-2018 08:49 PM)Swede Owl Wrote:  An early Christmas present for Owl fans--Dunlap will be getting his MBA at Rice, and will be on the team this year.

04-cheers

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-17-2018 10:43 PM

(12-17-2018 09:49 PM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  
(12-17-2018 08:49 PM)Swede Owl Wrote:  An early Christmas present for Owl fans--Dunlap will be getting his MBA at Rice, and will be on the team this year.

04-cheers

BTW, for those who missed it, Andrew and his wife welcomed their first child, a baby boy, a couple weeks ago...and from the picture on Facebook, it appears Andrew has lost a good deal of weight.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - HawaiiOwl - 12-18-2018 02:53 PM

(12-17-2018 10:43 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(12-17-2018 09:49 PM)NYNightOwl Wrote:  

04-cheers

BTW, for those who missed it, Andrew and his wife welcomed their first child, a baby boy, a couple weeks ago...and from the picture on Facebook, it appears Andrew has lost a good deal of weight.

as the father of 18 month old twin girls, I can attest to the infant diet.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - gmath - 12-18-2018 06:15 PM

(12-16-2018 08:10 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

True, but it is too early to put forth an accurate preview of the upcoming season.

Here's one accurate preview for the upcoming season:

The baseball scheduling gods have smiled upon us: Rice @ Western Kentucky in Bowling Green the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby @ Churchill Downs in Louisville. Road trip.

I love the smell of mint juleps in the morning.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - ExcitedOwl18 - 12-18-2018 06:33 PM

(12-18-2018 06:15 PM)gmath Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 08:10 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  

Here's one accurate preview for the upcoming season:

The baseball scheduling gods have smiled upon us: Rice @ Western Kentucky in Bowling Green the same weekend as the Kentucky Derby @ Churchill Downs in Louisville. Road trip.

I love the smell of mint juleps in the morning.

I went to the derby in 2016 and then went to the Corvette Museum in Bowling Green on that Sunday... Lots of fun.

That said, I’d recommend going to both the Oaks and Derby Friday/Saturday, and then go see the Sunday game in Bowling Green... Fly out of Nashville as the airport is closer to BG than Louisville.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 12-28-2018 06:22 PM

Seven short weeks from today (February 15th) is the season opener at Reckling against Rhode Island.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - mysticman - 01-01-2019 09:15 PM

(12-16-2018 07:02 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  With the completion of Fall Ball, and the end of the semester, it's time to turn our thoughts in earnest toward the upcoming 2019 season, and our prospects for the inaugural season of the Matt Bragga era. Despite Bragga's reputation as an offensive-minded coach (with his recent Tennessee Tech teams among the national leaders in almost all offensive categories), it would appear from the outset that the success of this Rice squad will ride on the depth and quality of our pitching staff.

1B DiCaprio/Collins (I believe the current game plan is to have the two rotate between 1B and C)
2B Edwards/Gneitting/Jefferies (assuming Edward's elbow issue finally allows him to hit-- still TBD)
SS T.Cruz
3B Comeaux
LF A.Dunlap/Cox (assuming Andrew applies and gets accepted into grad school-- still TBD)
DH A.Dunlap/Brewer/Duluc

Obviously, if Andrew Dunlap enrolls and returns for his final season, it provides our offense with a huge boost, and gives the lineup 3 power hitters (Dunlap, DiCaprio, Collins). My biggest concern is that we're going to be fielding an overwhelmingly right-handed lineup, with only Trei Cruz (switch hitter) and Gneitting as left-handed bats....and there are no other left-handed hitting position players on our roster. Quite the change from the past several seasons when we had Proctor, Chandler and Gray as central figures in the lineup. If Andrew Dunlap enrolls and Cade Edwards is healthy-- both big "ifs"-- I think the offense can hold its own. If not, we're really going to struggle scoring runs-- against anybody, and the defense will suffer, as well. Outfield defense is likely to be an issue regardless.

Jack-of-all-trades (the Abe Gonzales/Bobby Bramhall role of years past): Kendall Jefferies (I actually love him in this role, and think he's more valuable here than strictly as a starter)

Closers: Gayle, Garcia (both somewhat unproven, but both with unquestionable talent and upside)

Middle relief: Esquivel (finally healthy again), Kravitz, Deskins, Lewis, Jackson

If Kendall is used in the role I prescribe, we could have the best bullpen we've had in years, especially if Corey Barton can get Kravitz, Garcia and Gayle to take it to the next level (and from everything I've heard, Barton has become a big fan of Evan). And though our starters are all right-handers, Deskins and Kravitz give us two solid southpaw arms out of the pen. And while Esquivel doesn't have plus stuff, people forget how effective he was for us as a 5-inning starter a couple years back, before he suffered dead arm. I really like him as a 1 - 2 inning reliever, who doesn't have to face the lineup a second time through.

Clearly, our greatest strength is in our starting pitching, with Canterino-Moss arguably the best 1-2 in CUSA, and capable of keeping us in the game against anybody. Parthasarathy appeared in Fall Ball to have regained his early Freshman year form, before he got injured, and he (and Kravitz) both lost a ton of weight and appear to be in the best shape of their lives. Greenwood and Deskins did nothing but impress throughout Fall Ball, and should be major contributors.

UPDATE: Based on the post below from SwedeOwl, Andrew Dunlap has been accepted into the Jones School, where he will seek his MBA, while playing his final season for Rice. Great news! Now to get Dom and Cade healthy!

Cade Edwards is fully recovered. I spoke to JP Bramhall, the team Doctor for Texas ATM who trained under Dr. Andrews. He told me he worked on Cade all fall (PRP Injections) and pronounced Cade 100% healthy. You might
remember that JP's son played at Rice, Bobby Bramhall. JP used to be the Rice team Doctor when Mike Taylor was at Rice.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - waltgreenberg - 01-01-2019 10:49 PM

(01-01-2019 09:15 PM)mysticman Wrote:  
(12-16-2018 07:02 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  With the completion of Fall Ball, and the end of the semester, it's time to turn our thoughts in earnest toward the upcoming 2019 season, and our prospects for the inaugural season of the Matt Bragga era. Despite Bragga's reputation as an offensive-minded coach (with his recent Tennessee Tech teams among the national leaders in almost all offensive categories), it would appear from the outset that the success of this Rice squad will ride on the depth and quality of our pitching staff.

SS T.Cruz
3B Comeaux
DH A.Dunlap/Brewer/Duluc

Cade Edwards is fully recovered. I spoke to JP Bramhall, the team Doctor for Texas ATM who trained under Dr. Andrews. He told me he worked on Cade all fall (PRP Injections) and pronounced Cade 100% healthy. You might
remember that JP's son played at Rice, Bobby Bramhall. JP used to be the Rice team Doctor when Mike Taylor was at Rice.

That's terrific news-- thanks for sharing. I know when I spoke to coach in late October, Cade still had the nerve issue in his elbow and he was about to begin the injection treatment. And, yes, i met JP several times during Bobby's playing days-- great guy.

Given Cade hasn't swung a bat in almost a year, it's going to be interesting to see how quickly he can get his swing back. Regardless, he provides a HUGE defensive upgrade at 2B, and solidifies what should be an outstanding infield. Now, to get Dom's back healthy. Things are looking up.

RE: 2019 Rice Baseball Way Too Early Preview & Thought Starter - RiceOL83 - 01-09-2019 01:57 PM

Tyner and Dunlap on the Roster now