CSNbbs
Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: ACCbbs (/forum-381.html)
+---- Forum: ACC Conference Talk (/forum-351.html)
+---- Thread: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change (/thread-865613.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - OrangeDude - 12-05-2018 08:01 PM

Delany wants two best teams to meet in CCG

Tweet from Brett McMurphy:

B1G commish Jim Delany asked if B1G champ game should match 2 best teams instead of division champs: “It’s an item that has been discussed before. There is actually more discussion now than there was 4 years ago"

Not a great article but it does show the tweet from Brett McMurphy. I guess being left out twice in 5 years has Delany rethinking his stance.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - CardinalJim - 12-05-2018 08:49 PM

Next thing you know he’ll want just conference champs eligible for the playoffs....

Delaney is used to stacking the deck in his favor. He’s not used to the rules he championed being used to restrict his conference’s access to the big prize. You can bet he’s hearing it from the Presidents of his conference.

Just watch he’ll be more vocal this off season about changing to the CFP.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Schema - 12-05-2018 09:44 PM

Maybe this will lead to revisiting the requirement of having divisions in order to have a conference championship game. If I remember correctly, the Big 12 and ACC were in favor of removing this requirement, but the B1G and others shot it down.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - nole - 12-05-2018 09:52 PM

Didn't he block the ACC from doing this? Am I remembering that right?

Sweet justice if that is the case and it blew up in his face. Screw him and the B1G

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Wilkie01 - 12-05-2018 10:17 PM

He may realize that an 8 team playoff is what is needed. 07-coffee3

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - bluesox - 12-05-2018 11:09 PM

I think the issue was the big 10 wanted to block the acc from finding a way to get ND into their title game. The acc could go with 3 pods of 5 if ND is included and jumped to 6 games, 4-1-1 format for them.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - TIGER-PAUL - 12-06-2018 06:18 AM

So now he's crying? B12, ACC wanted to have the option and he quashed it.
f off Jim.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - ken d - 12-06-2018 07:52 AM

(12-06-2018 06:18 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  So now he's crying? B12, ACC wanted to have the option and he quashed it.
f off Jim.

If we still want it (or better yet want divisionless) should we reject this just to spite Delaney? How does that help the ACC?

Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Lenvillecards - 12-06-2018 09:41 AM

(12-06-2018 07:52 AM)ken d Wrote:  
(12-06-2018 06:18 AM)TIGER-PAUL Wrote:  So now he's crying? B12, ACC wanted to have the option and he quashed it.
f off Jim.

If we still want it (or better yet want divisionless) should we reject this just to spite Delaney? How does that help the ACC?

If he wants it now than the ACC should request something else to go along with it. Maybe join forces with the B12 in negotiations. What else would the ACC want? Champs only? B12 might like that to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - ken d - 12-06-2018 10:42 AM

(12-06-2018 09:41 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
f off Jim.

If he wants it now than the ACC should request something else to go along with it. Maybe join forces with the B12 in negotiations. What else would the ACC want? Champs only? B12 might like that to.

Nothing beats having leverage in any negotiation.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Schema - 12-06-2018 10:45 AM

If I recall correctly, everything was moving towards completely deregulating the way a conference determines the teams that play in the conference championship game, but at the last minute, that changed. The end result being that things stayed the same, in that you had to divide into divisions and play everyone in your division. However, they added the extra clause that says you could also host a championship game if all teams played a complete round-robin schedule, which is how the Big 12 was able to have the game with only ten members.

If the B1G really wants to fill their conference championship game with the top two teams, the only realistic way I see that happening is if they remove the requirement regarding divisions.

As a Clemson fan, I most definitely cannot complain about the current system. It has worked out pretty darn well for us. However, I would be in favor of changes that allowed the ACC to get rid of divisions so that everyone in the conference can play one another on a more frequent schedule. Of course, having the top two teams face one another in the championship game increases the odds of the top team losing and being left out of the CFP, but if all of the P5 conferences were using this setup, it would be acceptable.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - CardinalJim - 12-06-2018 12:16 PM

(12-06-2018 09:41 AM)Lenvillecards Wrote:  
f off Jim.

I don't believe The ACC would do that to our partners at Notre Dame. Speaking strictly as a Louisville fan I would hope they wouldn't. The folks in South Bend were instrumental in helping UofL move from CUSA to The Big East and then on to The ACC. As Jurich always said Louisville fans should always support Notre Dame.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - CardinalJim - 12-06-2018 12:33 PM

(12-05-2018 10:17 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  He make realize that an 8 team playoff is what is needed. 07-coffee3

This is what I hope happens. I hope Delaney, Scott and Bowlsby - commissioners of the conferences that have gotten left out of the CFP - come together and realize they need to put their greed away and give The American's undefeated champion, or any deserving G5 champ a shot at the title.

Expanding the playoffs to include the Top 8 is the logical next step. If the champs of The Big Ten, PAC and Big 12 keep getting left out maybe the play offs will be expanded.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - bluesox - 12-06-2018 12:50 PM

I like a 6 team playoff more than an 8 since 8 devalues the conference title game which really should be considered the 1st round of a playoff. Under the current 4 team playoff I would have a rule where a conference title game loser is ineligible, no need for rematches. If you jumped to six, I would give out 5 auto bids to to the P5 champs and keep the loser from title games are ineligible for the playoffs. 2 teams would get a bye, than 4 teams play at the higher seed 2 week of December. Winners from game go to playoff,losers go to bowl.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - OrangeDude - 12-06-2018 01:10 PM

(12-05-2018 11:09 PM)bluesox Wrote:  I think the issue was the big 10 wanted to block the acc from finding a way to get ND into their title game. The acc could go with 3 pods of 5 if ND is included and jumped to 6 games, 4-1-1 format for them.

I believe the ND part (which was never actually mentioned in any articles) was a specific Delany concern (which I probably started 03-wink ).

But as others have pointed out in the past the likely reason why both the Big Ten and the SEC squashed the rule change the ACC had requested was each of them were probably thinking that if the ACC didn't get their best team in 8 times out of 12 (which is the trajectory the PAC is actually on now) the league would implode making it easier for them to pick and choose who they wanted.

Cheers,
Neil

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - ren.hoek - 12-06-2018 08:07 PM

This would be huge and possibly trigger another realignment when the Big12 GOR ends. The reason is that larger numbers become much more viable. Conferences could have 3 divisions and pick the top 2 division winners to play in the title game (this is my preferred solution). Them 3 divisions of 5, 6, or 7 teams would be manageable. Being able to expand beyond 16 without as much s scheduling headaches would make it easier to invite tag along schools with the prize schools.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Hokie Mark - 12-06-2018 08:36 PM

A "champs only" rule would do 3 things (2 of which the Big Ten would like, 1 they NOT):
1. Even at 4 teams it would virtually guarantee the Big Ten champ gets into the playoffs
2. It would move Notre Dame to join the ACC for football - possibly with Cincinnati
3. It would effectively kill realignment - nobody wants to make it even HARDER to get into the playoffs!

They wouldn't like #2, but 1 and 3 might be to their liking.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Hokie Mark - 12-06-2018 08:37 PM

On the other hand, eliminating divisions while still having ALL at-large playoffs could ACCELERATE realignment.

RE: Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - XLance - 12-06-2018 09:05 PM

(12-05-2018 10:17 PM)Wilkie01 Wrote:  He make realize that an 8 team playoff is what is needed. 07-coffee3

Nothing will change until the CFP contract expires after the 2023 season.

Delany wants to revisit CCG Rule Change - Lenvillecards - 12-07-2018 09:29 AM

ND, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, BC, Louisville

NC, Duke, Virginia, VT, Miami

FSU, Clemson, GT, WF, NC State

ND plays 6 games with a shot at the ACC CG, everyone else plays 8?