CSNbbs
Oklahoma attendance - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+---- Forum: WAC Southwest Division (/forum-1009.html)
+----- Forum: Texas - Rio Grande Valley (/forum-992.html)
+----- Thread: Oklahoma attendance (/thread-863114.html)

Oklahoma attendance - SeattleVandals - 11-11-2018 02:42 PM

I saw over 5,000 people attended the game and nearly doubled the capacity of the on-campus arena. How many were Oklahoma fans and does that kind of attendance numbers at a larger arena possibly signal a need to move to Bert Ogden?

RE: Oklahoma attendance - edinburger - 11-11-2018 06:25 PM

(11-11-2018 02:42 PM)SeattleVandals Wrote:  I saw over 5,000 people attended the game and nearly doubled the capacity of the on-campus arena. How many were Oklahoma fans and does that kind of attendance numbers at a larger arena possibly signal a need to move to Bert Ogden?

In the section I was sitting in (kind of nosebleedy, maybe 100 people) there was one guy clapping loudly when OU made a basket. Extrapolating to the whole place, I'd say about fifty Oklahoma fans. Maybe a few more who were keeping their heads down.

Move to the BOA? I think not for two reasons.

One, this game wasn't typical. We only go over 2000 in the old gym when it's something special - a name brand opponent, homecoming, or some kind of special promotion. In this case it was a combination of name brand opponent and a first look at the BOA.

Also, I don't think it's sustainable. It looked like the BOA had at least 100 and maybe as many as 200 staff on duty. 20+/- directing traffic outside, 20+/- running the box office, 20+/- running metal detectors and frisking people (that's a first for a UTRGV game), 10+/- checking tickets, dozens of ushers, 40 or so in the concessions area, a bunch of heavyset guys in yellow shirts that stood on the court and glared at the crowd during timeouts (guess they thought we'd rush the court or something), a bunch of LEOs paid overtime, plus who knows how many behind the scenes in the staging areas and locker rooms. Considering that half the crowd were students who got in free, I don't see how anyone breaks even paying all those wages.