CSNbbs
New School maybe - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: WACbbs (/forum-376.html)
+--- Thread: New School maybe (/thread-861608.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

RE: New School maybe - KingSean - 02-22-2019 03:43 PM

Crazy thought but what if the GNAC schools moved up to the WAC

RE: New School maybe - KingSean - 02-22-2019 03:44 PM

I know it's a long long shot but kinda funny thought

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-22-2019 04:32 PM

(02-22-2019 01:45 PM)Columbia Blue Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 10:59 PM)KingSean Wrote:  D2 attendance doesn't really mean a team wont have success at the D1 level. Sadly no one cares about D2 or D3 even if the team is good

Perhaps, but I would think the WAC would rather take a chance on a school that is having at least moderate success attendance wise, rather than a one that is playing in a empty gym. Seeing CSU-L.A. (316) and Metro State's (397) lack of people attending games is a little concerning. Also noting that Metro St. is only a year or so removed from playing for the Division 2 title.

I thinking that the WAC would be better served in going after (for instance) a Tarleton State, or Washburn U., who are doing reasonably well in getting people to games. You would think that moving up would only add to those figures. Those particular universities also have football, which I'm guessing would please Dixie State as well. Washburn is in Topeka however, so unless UMKC is sticking around, that may be a bit out of the WAC's preferred range.

Metro State and CSU-L.A. have to fight with other D1 schools and the pro-sports for fans. Dixie State, Washburn, Colorado Mesa, Montana State-Billings, Tarleton State and other schools that do not have other schools or pro-sports teams might be the way to go. Central Washington used to be a foe against Portland State and Eastern Washington when those 2 schools were D2 at one time. So, we know fans from schools in smaller towns do travel. Eastern Washington, Boise State and North Dakota State are good examples.

RE: New School maybe - Pounder - 02-22-2019 05:00 PM

(02-22-2019 04:32 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Metro State and CSU-L.A. have to fight with other D1 schools and the pro-sports for fans. Dixie State, Washburn, Colorado Mesa, Montana State-Billings, Tarleton State and other schools that do not have other schools or pro-sports teams might be the way to go. Central Washington used to be a foe against Portland State and Eastern Washington when those 2 schools were D2 at one time. So, we know fans from schools in smaller towns do travel. Eastern Washington, Boise State and North Dakota State are good examples.

First off, Portland State never tussled with Central or Eastern when they were D2 (EWU moved to D-1 around the time PSU moved down, and Central was NAIA and/or D3). Sac State, Northridge, Cal Poly, and Santa Clara generally (and not all concurrently) made up the sort-of football conference that existed back then, and Humboldt State usually popped up on the schedule. Portland State did not have men's basketball during the entirety of their D2 days. If there was a rivalry that automatically drew fans for Portland State football, it was Texas A&I (now A&M Kingsville).

So, as to somebody's GNAC-to-WAC dreams, never mind that Western Oregon has had some recent D2 basketball success... there's more pressure on Western Oregon (and NAIA Southern and Eastern) to go to D3 than to move up. Central Washington, who basically has Yakima to draw from, isn't exactly working from a base of a lot of people from where to move up... and it's over a sometimes (like at present) troublesome mountain pass from Sea-Tac Airport. Nowhere in Montana really screams "easy to travel." Concordia gets about the same amount of attention the NAIA schools get in Portland (aka only when a national championship game happens). MAYBE Northwest Nazarene or Saint Martin's could move up and be viable for current WAC schools (where the advantage is being close to good-size markets for ease of flying). Maybe.

RE: New School maybe - Lopes87 - 02-22-2019 05:04 PM

(02-22-2019 04:32 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(02-21-2019 10:59 PM)KingSean Wrote:  D2 attendance doesn't really mean a team wont have success at the D1 level. Sadly no one cares about D2 or D3 even if the team is good

Perhaps, but I would think the WAC would rather take a chance on a school that is having at least moderate success attendance wise, rather than a one that is playing in a empty gym. Seeing CSU-L.A. (316) and Metro State's (397) lack of people attending games is a little concerning. Also noting that Metro St. is only a year or so removed from playing for the Division 2 title.

I thinking that the WAC would be better served in going after (for instance) a Tarleton State, or Washburn U., who are doing reasonably well in getting people to games. You would think that moving up would only add to those figures. Those particular universities also have football, which I'm guessing would please Dixie State as well. Washburn is in Topeka however, so unless UMKC is sticking around, that may be a bit out of the WAC's preferred range.

Metro State and CSU-L.A. have to fight with other D1 schools and the pro-sports for fans. Dixie State, Washburn, Colorado Mesa, Montana State-Billings, Tarleton State and other schools that do not have other schools or pro-sports teams might be the way to go. Central Washington used to be a foe against Portland State and Eastern Washington when those 2 schools were D2 at one time. So, we know fans from schools in smaller towns do travel. Eastern Washington, Boise State and North Dakota State are good examples.

If a state like Utah can have 7 D-1 schools I'm sure MSUDenver and CSULA will be fine if and when they go D-1.

Everyone in Utah only care about U of Utah and BYU and sometimes USU but the rest of them don't really move a needle.

RE: New School maybe - SeattleVandals - 02-22-2019 05:15 PM

No doubt to me Metro State or CSLA can get fans. It's called WINNING. You win, they will come. At the D1 level especially.

CWU is a perfect school especially with football. I have tons of friends who go there and it's the University I think most people end up at along with WSU from King County. You get them D1, fans will come

RE: New School maybe - DavidSt - 02-22-2019 05:16 PM

(02-22-2019 05:00 PM)Pounder Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 04:32 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Metro State and CSU-L.A. have to fight with other D1 schools and the pro-sports for fans. Dixie State, Washburn, Colorado Mesa, Montana State-Billings, Tarleton State and other schools that do not have other schools or pro-sports teams might be the way to go. Central Washington used to be a foe against Portland State and Eastern Washington when those 2 schools were D2 at one time. So, we know fans from schools in smaller towns do travel. Eastern Washington, Boise State and North Dakota State are good examples.

First off, Portland State never tussled with Central or Eastern when they were D2 (EWU moved to D-1 around the time PSU moved down, and Central was NAIA and/or D3). Sac State, Northridge, Cal Poly, and Santa Clara generally (and not all concurrently) made up the sort-of football conference that existed back then, and Humboldt State usually popped up on the schedule. Portland State did not have men's basketball during the entirety of their D2 days. If there was a rivalry that automatically drew fans for Portland State football, it was Texas A&I (now A&M Kingsville).

So, as to somebody's GNAC-to-WAC dreams, never mind that Western Oregon has had some recent D2 basketball success... there's more pressure on Western Oregon (and NAIA Southern and Eastern) to go to D3 than to move up. Central Washington, who basically has Yakima to draw from, isn't exactly working from a base of a lot of people from where to move up... and it's over a sometimes (like at present) troublesome mountain pass from Sea-Tac Airport. Nowhere in Montana really screams "easy to travel." Concordia gets about the same amount of attention the NAIA schools get in Portland (aka only when a national championship game happens). MAYBE Northwest Nazarene or Saint Martin's could move up and be viable for current WAC schools (where the advantage is being close to good-size markets for ease of flying). Maybe.

Would Seattle block Saint Martin's from joining?

Ellensberg is growing. CWU have over 12,000 students. Hop a plane to Seattle than take another plane (Alaska Airlines) to Yakima and then take a bus.

The problem with NW Nazarene is that they do not have the money. Concordia is too new. Saint Martin could be blocked.

RE: New School maybe - SeattleVandals - 02-22-2019 05:18 PM

(02-22-2019 05:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 05:00 PM)Pounder Wrote:  

Would Seattle block Saint Martin's from joining?

Ellensberg is growing. CWU have over 12,000 students. Hop a plane to Seattle than take another plane (Alaska Airlines) to Yakima and then take a bus.

The problem with NW Nazarene is that they do not have the money. Concordia is too new. Saint Martin could be blocked.

St Martin's would be terrible. A tiny school most never even hear of in the area. If you're actually going to add GNAC non-football schools, it's Western Washington and maybe Seattle Pacific (SU wouldn't like that one). It ends there. St Martin's is about 1,800 and completely unknown to anyone in the area.

Nobody is taking flights to Yakima and then driving the same amount of time to Ellensburg when it's literally the same time of drive from Seattle to Ellensburg. Only would do that when the pass is closed for snow

RE: New School maybe - AZcats - 02-22-2019 05:29 PM

(02-22-2019 04:32 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Colorado Mesa (4 hours from Denver) and Montana State-Billings are in fairly isolated areas. How will Montana State-Billings afford D1 if they can't afford to add a D2 football team? Washburn is 1 hour from Kansas City and Kansas State U with U of Kansas only 30 minutes away and 2 hours from Wichita. Tarleton State does have to fight for fans with 4 schools in FBS conferences and 6 major pro sport teams less than 2.5 hours away in the Metroplex.

RE: New School maybe - KingSean - 02-22-2019 07:07 PM

Now here is a good question. Are schools able to block other schools from moving up. Like can Evansville block Southern Indiana from being D1

RE: New School maybe - Pounder - 02-22-2019 07:14 PM

I only cited Saint Martins because they have a better gym than one might expect, men's basketball has the most recent success in the GNAC and, given Seattle traffic, they're not exactly competing with SU.

Like I said... maybe. Size doesn't always matter as much as funds able to be applied. However, I offer none of these schools without reminding anyone concerned to not hold their breath.

I'll give you this about Western Washington: prior success. Renovated arena or gym, however you want to call it. Bellingham also gets some flight traffic to interesting places because people in Vancouver sometimes don't want to pay the "crossing the border flight tax" to go to Vegas, so Alaska/Horizon and Allegiant (occasionally) fly out of there. However, their administrative decisions over the last several years do not really shout "let's move up" to me.

RE: New School maybe - Pounder - 02-22-2019 07:35 PM

(02-22-2019 07:07 PM)KingSean Wrote:  Now here is a good question. Are schools able to block other schools from moving up. Like can Evansville block Southern Indiana from being D1

If a D-1 conference wants Southern Indiana, it's more about the schools in that conference than someone else's school. The NCAA has minimum standards, but generally goes along with the member conferences on these decisions.

If they're trying to get into Evansville's conference, yeah, that's a problem. It's less of a problem if Evansville is a black sheep in that conference and the other schools vote Southern Indiana in for spite... but that's an entertaining hypothetical and nothing to do with reality.

The question to ask in this case... is the WAC kind of a beggar? Or how much of a beggar are they? In reality, I don't see any GNAC schools stepping up to the plate, so the WAC kind of dodges the question here.

However, my question: would the WAC be negligent by not asking any GNAC institutions about their desire to move up?

RE: New School maybe - MidWestMidMajor - 02-22-2019 09:09 PM

(02-22-2019 07:35 PM)Pounder Wrote:  However, my question: would the WAC be negligent by not asking any GNAC institutions about their desire to move up?

How about ... Simon Fraser of suburban Vancouver, BC, Canada? Just 136 miles of interstate from Seattle. They became a full NCAA d2 member in 2012. They have 35,000 students, a $530 million endowment, and are a highly rated Canadian university. They have a football team, so that's a complication. You need a school that is ambitious. A school that wants to go d1 because it wants to associate with d1 schools. They certainly would seem to have the financial resources to make the jump.

Has anyone read anything about Simon Fraser's vision? Are they content to be a d2 school with 35,000 students??? Maybe the WAC goes big and bold by being the first d1 conference with a Canadian school? A lot of good athletes get recruited out of Canada into American schools. Could this become the "Keystone Pipeline" of talent into the WAC??

Plus, they have a great mascot. Meet "McFogg the Dog":
[Image: SFU_McFog_vectorized.png]

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 02-22-2019 09:14 PM

(02-22-2019 07:35 PM)Pounder Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 07:07 PM)KingSean Wrote:  Now here is a good question. Are schools able to block other schools from moving up. Like can Evansville block Southern Indiana from being D1

If a D-1 conference wants Southern Indiana, it's more about the schools in that conference than someone else's school. The NCAA has minimum standards, but generally goes along with the member conferences on these decisions.

If they're trying to get into Evansville's conference, yeah, that's a problem. It's less of a problem if Evansville is a black sheep in that conference and the other schools vote Southern Indiana in for spite... but that's an entertaining hypothetical and nothing to do with reality.

The question to ask in this case... is the WAC kind of a beggar? Or how much of a beggar are they? In reality, I don't see any GNAC schools stepping up to the plate, so the WAC kind of dodges the question here.

However, my question: would the WAC be negligent by not asking any GNAC institutions about their desire to move up?
The OVC will take USI when they need backfill schools. The OVC currently has its tournament in Evansville, so USI is certainly on its radar. The MVC and Horizon can’t take D2 schools, so USI can only go to the OVC. USI has recently built an on campus arena, so it’s not relying on Evansville’s civic center like the Aces.

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 02-22-2019 09:17 PM

(02-22-2019 09:09 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  
(02-22-2019 07:35 PM)Pounder Wrote:  However, my question: would the WAC be negligent by not asking any GNAC institutions about their desire to move up?

How about ... Simon Fraser of suburban Vancouver, BC, Canada? Just 136 miles of interstate from Seattle. They became a full NCAA d2 member in 2012. They have 35,000 students, a $530 million endowment, and are a highly rated Canadian university. They have a football team, so that's a complication. You need a school that is ambitious. A school that wants to go d1 because it wants to associate with d1 schools. They certainly would seem to have the financial resources to make the jump.

Has anyone read anything about Simon Fraser's vision? Are they content to be a d2 school with 35,000 students??? Maybe the WAC goes big and bold by being the first d1 conference with a Canadian school? A lot of good athletes get recruited out of Canada into American schools. Could this become the "Keystone Pipeline" of talent into the WAC??

Plus, they have a great mascot. Meet "McFogg the Dog":
[Image: SFU_McFog_vectorized.png]

Canadian or foreign schools can not join DI right now. Only DII schools can. Simon Fraser could start hockey and move to the WCHA now, and compete as a DI school in that sport. There is no regulation preventing that.

RE: New School maybe - NoDak - 02-22-2019 09:24 PM

A school to watch out for is Texas A&M San Antonio.

They don’t have any intercollegiate teams yet, but are planning for eight in the near future.

https://www.expressnews.com/news/education/article/A-M-San-Antonio-has-a-plan-for-intercollegiate-13625968.php

They would be NAIA to begin with, move to DII when they get 10 teams, and move to DI when they have 14 teams and have spent eight years in DII. The school may have 10k students in the near future and has much bigger enrollment plans.

RE: New School maybe - AZcats - 02-22-2019 09:39 PM

(02-22-2019 09:09 PM)MidWestMidMajor Wrote:  

Has anyone read anything about Simon Fraser's vision? Are they content to be a d2 school with 35,000 students??? Maybe the WAC goes big and bold by being the first d1 conference with a Canadian school? A lot of good athletes get recruited out of Canada into American schools. Could this become the "Keystone Pipeline" of talent into the WAC?

Having international members is not a NCAA policy; this policy is set by each of the three NCAA divisions separately. D1 would have to allow international schools first. D2 is the only division that allows Canadian and Mexican schools. Simon Fraser is not the only D2 school with a 30,000+ enrollment.

RE: New School maybe - NotANewbie - 02-22-2019 09:42 PM

(02-22-2019 07:14 PM)Pounder Wrote:  I only cited Saint Martins because they have a better gym than one might expect, men's basketball has the most recent success in the GNAC and, given Seattle traffic, they're not exactly competing with SU.

Like I said... maybe. Size doesn't always matter as much as funds able to be applied. However, I offer none of these schools without reminding anyone concerned to not hold their breath.

I'll give you this about Western Washington: prior success. Renovated arena or gym, however you want to call it. Bellingham also gets some flight traffic to interesting places because people in Vancouver sometimes don't want to pay the "crossing the border flight tax" to go to Vegas, so Alaska/Horizon and Allegiant (occasionally) fly out of there. However, their administrative decisions over the last several years do not really shout "let's move up" to me.

Saint Martin's does have what would be a low end DI arena, certainly bigger than Seattle's on-campus facility. However, their finances have been tenuous, and their small endowment is substantially leveraged. There's no way they're going DI without a significant financial windfall. They haven't been able to find one yet. Even if they got one, I doubt they would make the jump.

RE: New School maybe - Lopes87 - 02-23-2019 02:23 AM

Saint Martin's would have less of a chance then their current member Seattle Pacific. I would love to see WWU and UAA or SPU to join the WAC but UAA and WWU are the only non football schools in GNAC to be a possibility.

RE: New School maybe - MidWestMidMajor - 02-23-2019 09:57 AM

(02-22-2019 09:17 PM)NoDak Wrote:  Canadian or foreign schools can not join DI right now. Only DII schools can. Simon Fraser could start hockey and move to the WCHA now, and compete as a DI school in that sport. There is no regulation preventing that.

I wonder if allowing Simon Fraser to go d2 was a "trial balloon": try it for awhile and see how it goes, how does it work having players cross an international border, etc. There is nothing magical about d1 except more scholarships and more requirements. Maybe Simon Fraser has been an NCAA experiment. There is a rule right now that says a Canadian school can't go d1. But rules can be changed.

That's an interesting idea about hockey. From what I can tell, Canadian university hockey teams are not as strong as American: not as well funded, etc. The really good Canadian hockey talent either plays in Canadian junior leagues or comes to the US to play college. Maybe that is ultimately why SF wanted to join the NCAA. Currently they have a club hockey team. I found this on their website:

The SFU Men’s Hockey program originally competed in the late 60’s and early 70’s, but was resurrected in 2004 with the goal of one day recruiting top college athletes and providing another alternative for the many local athletes that travel to the United States to compete and go to school.

Maybe the door isn't completely shut on Simon Fraser if the WAC advocates to get the rule changed that currently prevents a Canadian school from being d1. It seems like Simon Fraser would be must about the perfect school to open that door.