CSNbbs
Biggest Home Game Ever? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Biggest Home Game Ever? (/thread-860762.html)

Pages: 1 2

Biggest Home Game Ever? - the Dragon - 10-16-2018 03:55 PM

Rivals for biggest home game in UAB history (in no particular order):

1. TCU, 2004 (att. 33,280)

UAB played TCU on ESPN when TCU was doing VERY well nationally. Darrell Hackney had the famous stiff arm run, and UAB won 41-25.

2. Southern Miss, 2003 (att. 44,669)

UAB played USM on ESPN2 and Ruben Studdard performed at halftime. The crowd set a C-USA regular season home record that was broken shortly after (by Louisville?). UAB lost in a tight game.

3. Memphis, 2004 (att. 27,192)

Both teams were pretty good. UAB was driving late to try to kick a game winning FG when Corey White broke up the middle and scampered about 40 yards for the game-winning TD. It was a great win!

4. Southern Miss, 2009 (att. 26,871)

After years of losing tight games to USM, and after some hard setbacks for our program, UAB finally beat USM on a Thursday night televised game. It was a sweet victory that was long overdue. Most will remember the Hiram Atwater interception that sealed the win!

5. Troy, 2010 (att. 23,681)

The HAIL MARY - Ellis to Williams on the final play!

6. Marshall, 2014 (att. 28,355)

This was our last home game before the shutdown, a game we feared was our last home game ever. We gave Marshall all they wanted only to fall 23-18.

7. ECU, 1999 (att. 18,062)

Rodregis Brooks had a giant day in helping UAB upset #17 ECU!

8. Alabama A&M, 2017 (att. 45,212)

The RETURN! It was emotional and glorious! It was the culmination of a hard fight for our team. We won big!

9. LA Tech, 2017 (att. 27,213)

We looked like we had come up short and were going to lose to an excellent team on a last second FG, but we BLOCKED it!! It was Homecoming, and we wore the Children's Harbor uniforms for the first time! It was like a fairy tale!

Some of these games are legendary games for us, but only the 2017 return game could rival the anticipation of this week's game, and it was for a different reason. If we lose, this UNT game will go down as well-attended big game, but if we win, it could be as big a win as we've ever had!

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - biglizard - 10-16-2018 04:18 PM

A loss doesn't define the season.

But a win completely changes the landscape. We go from the hunter to the hunted. Every game after is a playoff game.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - BlazerMatt - 10-16-2018 04:19 PM

It's honestly hard to say. I definitely agree with the TCU game being number one, and thats with a lot of its luster being lost with the egg we laid against Tulane the next week. The biggest difference between that game and Saturdays game is exposure. That was a Friday night game, and we were quite literally the only sporting event on national TV all across the country that night. The only other game in town was a World Series game, and that game was a rain out. Every sports bar in the country was showing our game and only our game and we rose to the occasion in impressive fashion.

If we win Saturday, with all of the extra meaning from Children's Harbors and how special the names on the backs of our players are. Then yes, Saturday could overtake the TCU game if we take care of business the rest of the season. Because if we do win Saturday, and then win the games we would be favored in the rest of the way, the Saturday could legitimately be looked on as a coronation of sorts. Something we have never come close to having in football.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - Steel Dragon - 10-16-2018 04:19 PM

Biggest until next week

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - jcduncan13 - 10-16-2018 04:58 PM

Yes it is. Don't tell coach or the players, but this IMO is the biggest game (not just home game) we've played to date. Go blazers!

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - Memphis Blazer - 10-16-2018 07:17 PM

I would think last year's first game was the biggest home ever for what it signified.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - cb4029 - 10-16-2018 09:36 PM

Are they ranked?

The return can't be topped.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - the Dragon - 10-17-2018 08:36 AM

(10-16-2018 09:36 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  Are they ranked?

On one hand I agree. The Return was a unique event that we will never see again (I hope!!). It was emotionally satisfying like no other game could be.

However, we all want our team to be a championship team, and we are in contention like we haven't been since 2004, and Saturday is a huge game to that end.

With that said, I can see the Southern Miss game in a few weeks being as big! It's great to have so many significant games in one season. It means you're having a great season, which for us has been very rare!

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - biglizard - 10-17-2018 08:39 AM

(10-17-2018 08:36 AM)the Dragon Wrote:  
(10-16-2018 09:36 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  Are they ranked?

On one hand I agree. The Return was a unique event that we will never see again (I hope!!). It was emotionally satisfying like no other game could be.

However, we all want our team to be a championship team, and we are in contention like we haven't been since 2004, and Saturday is a huge game to that end.

With that said, I can see the Southern Miss game in a few weeks being as big! It's great to have so many significant games in one season. It means you're having a great season, which for us has been very rare!

They're all playoff games from here on out

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - BatesUAB - 10-17-2018 08:50 AM

I think what sets this game apart from the others on the list is how consequential it is. True, all of those games were big moments, but they didn't have near as much riding on the outcome, i.e. championship implications.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - the Dragon - 10-17-2018 09:20 AM

(10-17-2018 08:50 AM)BatesUAB Wrote:  I think what sets this game apart from the others on the list is how consequential it is. True, all of those games were big moments, but they didn't have near as much riding on the outcome, i.e. championship implications.

Exactly.

I think the last time we were in this spot, we went to Tulane and lost that ridiculous shootout when we were set to compete for a conference title and climb the BCS rankings.

We can make arguments about how "big" some games were compared to others, and they were all big in some way. This one is different because we are on top of our division and we get another top contender at home in mid October. Some schools see games like this year after year. We haven't seen it in a long time if ever.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - iam4uab - 10-17-2018 10:15 AM

This week's game is bigger than The Return.

The Return was a feel good game. We had won a battle (not the war, mind you). It was our victory lap for having come back from the dead. More of us showed up than had ever done so before. We loudly proclaimed that we were back for all to hear. But we came back from the dead to be taken seriously, to succeed, to win championships.

The Return was step one...this week is a significant next step for The Return to have meant anything. This weekend is our chance to loudly yell once again and tell everyone that we meant what we said when we returned last September.

You may not agree that this week is a bigger home game, but if we forever feel that nothing will ever top The Return, then we effectively say that our best days are behind us.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - ATTALLABLAZE - 10-17-2018 02:12 PM

This won’t even be the biggest game this year if we make the CUSA Championship game. That said USM could clinch it making that game bigger than this one.

I don’t think this game is in our top 10 and top 20 is a debate.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - BlazerMatt - 10-17-2018 02:20 PM

The CUSA championship wont be a home game. The Southern Miss game could end up being huge though, I agree.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - the Dragon - 10-17-2018 02:59 PM

(10-17-2018 02:12 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  This won’t even be the biggest game this year if we make the CUSA Championship game. That said USM could clinch it making that game bigger than this one.

I think some of our biggest games are big because of the result.

Very few have had as great of a build up in anticipation as this one. It's hard for me to outright say this is the biggest build up ever (I think TCU 2004 and Southern Miss 2004 had as much or more). But this is the biggest build up we've had since then, with the unique exception of the Return game. The last time we were legitimate contenders for the conference title this late was 14 years ago!!! It's been a long time coming. It also starts to ring true that we have NEVER won a football conference title. Even Rice did that a few years ago.

Remember, the most important teams play in the most important games, so for us to be in such an important game shows how irrelevant we were for so many years. It's nice on this side of things!

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - ATTALLABLAZE - 10-17-2018 03:12 PM

Your right as it’s the context. As far as build up this one will set up possibly USM this year as bigger and that one would set up CUSA Championship game. That would be huge.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - BatesUAB - 10-17-2018 03:17 PM

(10-17-2018 02:12 PM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  This won’t even be the biggest game this year if we make the CUSA Championship game. That said USM could clinch it making that game bigger than this one.

I defy you to list for me 10 games that UAB has played that actually carried any significance whatsoever. And I don't mean some feel good story, or historical milepost, or anything like that. Don't tell me our first club game, don't tell me the first game as DI against Auburn, don't tell me about attendance numbers or that we happened to beat a ranked opponent, and don't tell me about games that 'might' happen in the future like a championship game. Name 10 games (home games was the title of the thread, but go home and away if you like), which going in had more riding on the outcome than the game this weekend. Where we were actually playing for something. Where the game actually meant something. Remembering that the last time we even sniffed a championship was 14 years ago. I'll hang up and listen.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - UABslant - 10-17-2018 03:38 PM

Coach Clark says this is the biggest game. I'll second him.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - ATTALLABLAZE - 10-17-2018 03:58 PM

Context. Ok it’s the biggest game ever.

RE: Biggest Home Game Ever? - GoBlazers468 - 10-17-2018 06:35 PM

(10-17-2018 03:17 PM)BatesUAB Wrote:  

I defy you to list for me 10 games that UAB has played that actually carried any significance whatsoever. And I don't mean some feel good story, or historical milepost, or anything like that. Don't tell me our first club game, don't tell me the first game as DI against Auburn, don't tell me about attendance numbers or that we happened to beat a ranked opponent, and don't tell me about games that 'might' happen in the future like a championship game. Name 10 games (home games was the title of the thread, but go home and away if you like), which going in had more riding on the outcome than the game this weekend. Where we were actually playing for something. Where the game actually meant something. Remembering that the last time we even sniffed a championship was 14 years ago. I'll hang up and listen.

04-rock I'll second this!