CSNbbs
Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? (/thread-858054.html)

Pages: 1 2

Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - HighlandsApp - 09-14-2018 10:16 PM

Does not look like city of Mobile wants anything to do with football tourism.

https://www.wkrg.com/news/mobile-county/mayor-has-issue-with-dollar-general-bowl-contract/1445379287

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - TrojansOneandAll - 09-14-2018 10:38 PM

I'm from Mobile, the mayor is showing his a$$ because he couldn't get the stadium for south.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Usajags - 09-14-2018 11:11 PM

The article doesn’t make the mayor sound bad, just sounds like he’s attempting to be financially responsible with the cities money. With the cost of maintenance that Ladd needs, plus the money the city is paying it doesn’t make sense. Even the city council members that are for the game can’t say the $900k is a good investment or not, which tells me they know it’s not.

We are going to see more bowl games contract because the sponsorship money isn’t there anymore, NASCAR is having the same financial issues because of the same reason. Lack of sponsorship dollars could be the forcing factor to actually start a real playoff format for FSB, and give us a true opportunity at a championship.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Tiguar - 09-15-2018 01:13 AM

(09-14-2018 10:38 PM)TrojansOneandAll Wrote:  I'm from Mobile, the mayor is showing his a$$ because he couldn't get the stadium for south.

The mayor is telling it like it is.

Mobile pays the DG bowl 900k to exist.

John Williams, a Troy grad, says its probably justified because two college teams and their bands come I to town once a year.

Math seems to be poorly taught in pike co, as south was asking the city for 500k a year, would give the DG bowl free rent, and brings 6 outside schools into town yearly, and John Williams was outspoken on how the city cannot afford that.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Tom in Lazybrook - 09-15-2018 01:21 AM

Yea, Williams needs to go. Bess Rich too. 900k a year for one weekend vs 500k to help keep the DG Bowl Senior Bowl and help out USA, which provides exponentially more tourism and economic development than the DG Bowl. Besides, the bowl isnt exactly USA friendly. Apply the same metrics to other city investments that the city did for USA. If you cant justify helping USA out, you cant justify spending more to provide teams not named USA a place to play on ESPN.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Tiguar - 09-15-2018 01:25 AM

(09-15-2018 01:21 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  Yea, Williams needs to go. Bess Rich too. 900k a year for one weekend vs 500k to help keep the DG Bowl Senior Bowl and help out USA, which provides exponentially more tourism and economic development than the DG Bowl. Besides, the bowl isnt exactly USA friendly. Apply the same metrics to other city investments that the city did for USA. If you cant justify helping USA out, you cant justify spending more to provide teams not named USA a place to play on ESPN.
Exactly. The mayor is doing nothing but exposing those tools for what they are: self serving morons.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - TrojansOneandAll - 09-15-2018 03:17 AM

(09-15-2018 01:13 AM)Tiguar Wrote:  
(09-14-2018 10:38 PM)TrojansOneandAll Wrote:  I'm from Mobile, the mayor is showing his a$$ because he couldn't get the stadium for south.

John Williams, a Troy grad, says its probably justified because two college teams and their bands come I to town once a year.

Math seems to be poorly taught in pike co, as south was asking the city for 500k a year, would give the DG bowl free rent, and brings 6 outside schools into town yearly, and John Williams was outspoken on how the city cannot afford that.

Johnny Williams was an ROTC instructor at Troy, not a graduate.
http://www.cityofmobile.org/citycouncil/?district=4&b=y

Apparently they don't teach history at south, but they have a first class program in conspiracy theories.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - rokamortis - 09-15-2018 04:37 AM

Would the $500K for USA's stadium completely relieve the city of their financial commitment to the DG bowl?

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - jag313 - 09-15-2018 07:24 AM

(09-15-2018 03:17 AM)TrojansOneandAll Wrote:  

Apparently they don't teach history at south, but they have a first class program in conspiracy theories.

Williams is also a high level donor for Troy. He used to show up at USA-Troy basketball decked out in Troy gear. He has burned a lot of bridges over the last few months. Don’t see anyway he gets re-elected in 2021.

“Major John C. Williams is listed on the Troy website as a Champion level donor to the Trojan Warrior Fund in 2016 (the most recent year available on the website), a designation that requires a gift of $5,000 to $9,999 to Troy athletics. Further, a John Williams of Mobile is listed as a member of the Troy University Sports Hall of Fame Board of Advisors.”

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - USAJag2011 - 09-15-2018 07:26 AM

You are correct. It is Levon Manzie that is a Troy graduate (he also voted against USA), not Williams. Williams is a big donor to Troy athletics though.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Florida RedWolf - 09-15-2018 08:36 AM

The surprise to me is the failure of USA to raise significant money with private donors or the indication of being able to do that. I know a formal effort is just developing but their must be real concern of gaining pledges.

I know its taboo but is their any way of using your endowment to help in the effort? What restrictions are placed on that money? What is the state of Alabama officially telling USA regarding possibe support?

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - SkullyMaroo - 09-15-2018 08:50 AM

(09-15-2018 07:26 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  

You are correct. It is Levon Manzie that is a Troy graduate (he also voted against USA), not Williams. Williams is a big donor to Troy athletics though.

Levon Manzie stated several times he attended South, but had to finish at Troy because he couldn’t pass Spanish at South and the degree from Troy didn’t require it. He voted because his district is the area around Ladd and his constituents wanted him to vote No. I’m not upset at him for representing his constituents. Now Bess Rich is another story; she went against her constituents and voted No.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - SkullyMaroo - 09-15-2018 09:03 AM

(09-15-2018 08:36 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  The surprise to me is the failure of USA to raise significant money with private donors or the indication of being able to do that. I know a formal effort is just developing but their must be real concern of gaining pledges.

I know its taboo but is their any way of using your endowment to help in the effort? What restrictions are placed on that money? What is the state of Alabama officially telling USA regarding possibe support?

I don’t think there is failure, just a bunch of tight lips. Joel Erdman does not let things get out. Keep in mind our stadium announcement was within the last three months, and since then our board approved the site work and a few days ago they voted to allow bids to go out.

The endowment is restricted for academic purposes only.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - USAJag2011 - 09-15-2018 09:07 AM

(09-15-2018 08:50 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 07:26 AM)USAJag2011 Wrote:  

Levon Manzie stated several times he attended South, but had to finish at Troy because he couldn’t pass Spanish at South and the degree from Troy didn’t require it. He voted because his district is the area around Ladd and his constituents wanted him to vote No. I’m not upset at him for representing his constituents. Now Bess Rich is another story; she went against her constituents and voted No.

I’m upset with him because he refused to explain the benefits to his constituents. Instead, he just echoed the same talking points about keeping Ladd to make them happy.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - AppManDG - 09-15-2018 09:09 AM

The Mayor is using perfectly sound reasoning. He was elected to look out for the well being of Mobile, not USA.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - SkullyMaroo - 09-15-2018 09:18 AM

(09-15-2018 09:09 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  The Mayor is using perfectly sound reasoning. He was elected to look out for the well being of Mobile, not USA.

By the way, the mayor supported South.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Usajags - 09-15-2018 09:36 AM

(09-15-2018 09:18 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 09:09 AM)AppManDG Wrote:  The Mayor is using perfectly sound reasoning. He was elected to look out for the well being of Mobile, not USA.

By the way, the mayor supported South.

The mayor supported South and the idea of being able to get Ladd off the books for the city. Which both would’ve good for the city. It makes financial sense, something politicians generally don’t care about. It’s not their money, it’s our money, but they spend it like it’s unlimited money.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Florida RedWolf - 09-15-2018 09:59 AM

(09-15-2018 09:03 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 08:36 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  The surprise to me is the failure of USA to raise significant money with private donors or the indication of being able to do that. I know a formal effort is just developing but their must be real concern of gaining pledges.

I don’t think there is failure, just a bunch of tight lips. Joel Erdman does not let things get out. Keep in mind our stadium announcement was within the last three months, and since then our board approved the site work and a few days ago they voted to allow bids to go out.

Teaching football is academic isn't it? What about the state?

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - Usajags - 09-15-2018 10:06 AM

(09-15-2018 09:59 AM)Florida RedWolf Wrote:  
(09-15-2018 09:03 AM)SkullyMaroo Wrote:  

Teaching football is academic isn't it? What about the state?

Unlike Birmingham and them building a municipal stadium for UAb to use, and getting the ability from the state to use tax dollars for it, this is an OCS, essentially a private stadium. I don’t see the state putting money in this, which I’m ok with. People in Birmingham don’t want to pay for a stadium in Mobile no more then people in Mobile want to pay for a stadium in Birmingham.

Side Note: The tax dollars used in Birmingham are taxes collected in that area, but the state had to approve them to do that.

RE: Will Dollar General Bowl end in 2020? - OsageJ - 09-15-2018 03:11 PM

Mobile is losing their Double A baseball team too. Over a 100 thousand people out and about a year that won't be.[/i]