CSNbbs
UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days (/thread-853663.html)

Pages: 1 2

UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - hooverblazer - 07-19-2018 09:38 AM

Where can I find UAB coverage from CUSA Media Days? Nothing on al.com....

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - busch - 07-20-2018 12:44 PM

(07-19-2018 09:38 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Where can I find UAB coverage from CUSA Media Days? Nothing on al.com....

I expect al.com to start treating UAB like Samford, where the only coverage comes from the SID. I'm surprised that hasn't happened already. I think that's crappy but al.com, obviously, has no interest in covering UAB.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - B'ham Blazer - 07-20-2018 01:10 PM

(07-20-2018 12:44 PM)busch Wrote:  
(07-19-2018 09:38 AM)hooverblazer Wrote:  Where can I find UAB coverage from CUSA Media Days? Nothing on al.com....

I expect al.com to start treating UAB like Samford, where the only coverage comes from the SID. I'm surprised that hasn't happened already. I think that's crappy but al.com, obviously, has no interest in covering UAB.

Yeah, and that makes no sense at all for them, considering how big of a deal the return was last year, and good good the team is going to be on the field in 2018!

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - BatesUAB - 07-20-2018 01:48 PM

They're too busy putting together slideshows about "The (insert random nonsense that nobody cares about) from every Alabama county."

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - the_blazerman - 07-20-2018 02:21 PM

Exactly. & what Alabama fans were wearing when they are around other Alabama fans at an insignificant Alabama gathering.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Auburn_Blazer - 07-20-2018 02:35 PM

Meanwhile, Troy & South have articles written for them in the past 2 days. I'm happy for them to get some coverage, but don't understand how they can't throw UAB a bone.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - WesternBlazer - 07-20-2018 03:02 PM

Do we have a SID anymore?

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - josephblazer2770 - 07-20-2018 04:58 PM

Nothing to find. If you do, post please.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - busch - 07-22-2018 09:08 AM

(07-20-2018 03:02 PM)WesternBlazer Wrote:  

Do we have a SID anymore?

Ted Feeley is an excellent SID. He works his butt off to get UAB coverage (local, regional and national). He can't make al.com care about UAB athletics (no matter how hard he tries.) It's up to them to cover UAB and they've decided it's not important.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - ATTALLABLAZE - 07-22-2018 10:24 AM

Agree busch. This is where if we had a strong AD he would approach the media and have a little chat. Cant blame the sid.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - UAB Band Dad - 07-22-2018 11:22 AM

I agree in general, but I'll throw out a small defense of al.com. Their paper and staff have been been cut to the bone, to include a generous hunk of muscle and sinew. They are short staffed and over stretched. 90% + of their sports readership is focused on AU/UA, with the other 10% (or maybe 5%) split between other SEC and other state schools. They're putting their coverage where their readership is.

That may not be palatable, but it's no different from merchants having ten times more bammer gear than UAB gear. They *sell* ten times more bammer gear, that's where they make money.

Harsh truth. The only way we get more is to grow the fan base to the point that the market is there. You know that I'm Blazer to the bone, but facts are facts when you deal with how a business makes decisions.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Memphis Blazer - 07-22-2018 12:54 PM

(07-22-2018 10:24 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Agree busch. This is where if we had a strong AD he would approach the media and have a little chat. Cant blame the sid.

You can’t blame the AD either, if you can’t blame the SID. What they cover is decided by the media and the fans, who should be complying to al.com and not on the Internet.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Memphis Blazer - 07-22-2018 12:56 PM

(07-22-2018 11:22 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I agree in general, but I'll throw out a small defense of al.com. Their paper and staff have been been cut to the bone, to include a generous hunk of muscle and sinew. They are short staffed and over stretched. 90% + of their sports readership is focused on AU/UA, with the other 10% (or maybe 5%) split between other SEC and other state schools. They're putting their coverage where their readership is.

That may not be palatable, but it's no different from merchants having ten times more bammer gear than UAB gear. They *sell* ten times more bammer gear, that's where they make money.

Harsh truth. The only way we get more is to grow the fan base to the point that the market is there. You know that I'm Blazer to the bone, but facts are facts when you deal with how a business makes decisions.

Agree. Al.com is the last place I would look for UAB coverage.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - BlazerMatt - 07-22-2018 01:59 PM

(07-22-2018 12:54 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(07-22-2018 10:24 AM)ATTALLABLAZE Wrote:  Agree busch. This is where if we had a strong AD he would approach the media and have a little chat. Cant blame the sid.

You can’t blame the AD either, if you can’t blame the SID. What they cover is decided by the media and the fans, who should be complying to al.com and not on the Internet.

We once had a university president tell the Birmingham news that if their paper did not have a UAB beat writer, their paper would not be sold on the UAB campus or hospital.

Something tells me Ray Watts won’t be making that phone call anytime soon.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Memphis Blazer - 07-22-2018 03:18 PM

(07-22-2018 01:59 PM)BlazerMatt Wrote:  
(07-22-2018 12:54 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  

We once had a university president tell the Birmingham news that if their paper did not have a UAB beat writer, their paper would not be sold on the UAB campus or hospital.

Something tells me Ray Watts won’t be making that phone call anytime soon.

That had weight then because at that time, people read newspapers. Something tells me that if that threat was made today, it would be meaningless.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - the_blazerman - 07-22-2018 04:31 PM

Kind of hard for UAB to get any significant bump in fandom from al.commie regardless of whether or not they cover UAB.

Most going to al.commie have a reason and/or agenda for going there.

Seeing an article on UAB on al.commie isn't going to make most non-fans interested in UAB.

It will take time to increase the number of core fans although we seemed to have a good bump last year even without the first game attendance.

Playing teams a lot better than Savannah State on days other than Thursday night along with winning will increase the core number of fans.

From there, these same fans will know to go to Blazertalk.com for their source for UAB athletics.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Memphis Blazer - 07-22-2018 05:24 PM

And the are more likely to get coverage on a Thursday night than on a Saturday, when they will get ignored because of other games being played.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - ATTALLABLAZE - 07-22-2018 05:36 PM

At least we will have coverage of a smaller crowd! Hope you have your tickets and will see you there.

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - UAB Band Dad - 07-22-2018 10:47 PM

(07-22-2018 05:24 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  And the are more likely to get coverage on a Thursday night than on a Saturday, when they will get ignored because of other games being played.

Then you'd better hope that the old advertising adage that "Any publicity is good publicity" is true, because that Thursday night coverage is going to be "UAB home opener attendance drops by 50%".

RE: UAB Coverage for CUSA Media Days - Auburn_Blazer - 07-23-2018 11:32 AM

(07-22-2018 11:22 AM)UAB Band Dad Wrote:  I agree in general, but I'll throw out a small defense of al.com. Their paper and staff have been been cut to the bone, to include a generous hunk of muscle and sinew. They are short staffed and over stretched. 90% + of their sports readership is focused on AU/UA, with the other 10% (or maybe 5%) split between other SEC and other state schools. They're putting their coverage where their readership is.

Totally understand this sentiment. Scarbo's victory lap made me realize how much he brought to basketball reporting in this state. I'm not expecting them to have someone at every press conference, but the least they could do would be to re-blog things that have been posted elsewhere.