CSNbbs
Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam (/thread-849954.html)

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Wear Purple - 03-13-2020 08:55 AM

(03-13-2020 08:46 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Nobody asked me to design the building. I'm more concerned with where the flaps will be placed.

I miss the good old days of micropiling

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Longhorn - 03-13-2020 08:56 AM

(03-13-2020 08:46 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 08:38 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 07:14 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 07:41 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 07:23 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I saw those too. They are ugly. Gotta figure they'll be covered eventually, though I have no in depth construction knowledge.

That’s what I’m hoping too (that they’ll be covered, or removed if they’re temporary). I’m not an HVAC guy, but I do find it strange that two large pipes like that would be run up the outside of the building. I’d like to think they’re temporary so fresh air can be pumped-in and circulated while construction is going on inside the arena.

patience grasshopper. The building is not finished yet. They'll closely match the outside finish to be concealed.

04-cheers We’ll be watching with interest!

Can you help us understand why the giant metal ductwork wasn’t placed internally, within the structure? Or planned for the roof, and then skirted to hide them?

Nobody asked me to design the building. I'm more concerned with where the flaps will be placed.

So you think it’s just a design issue? I’m asking, because I suspected that the location of the external ductwork may have come down to just that simple a decision, but was hoping there’s either an efficiency or cost savings involved, or maybe both.

We all know that JMU is not getting another chance to build an arena in our lifetimes, so I hope the job is being done right, from the mechanical, usability and aesthetic points of view. Whatever it looks like and how it functions...well, that’s it. Ugly, exposed, external pipes on the facade facing University Blvd. doesn’t cut it.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 03-13-2020 09:36 AM

(03-13-2020 08:48 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 07:41 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 07:23 PM)olddawg Wrote:  I saw those too. They are ugly. Gotta figure they'll be covered eventually, though I have no in depth construction knowledge.

That’s what I’m hoping too (that they’ll be covered, or removed if they’re temporary). I’m not an HVAC guy, but I do find it strange that two large pipes like that would be run up the outside of the building. I’d like to think they’re temporary so fresh air can be pumped-in and circulated while construction is going on inside the arena.

patience grasshopper. The building is not finished yet. They'll closely match the outside finish to be concealed.

Can you help us understand why the giant metal ductwork wasn’t placed internally, within the structure? Or planned for the roof, and then skirted to hide them?
If you are talking about the HVAC outside the the wall facing E Hall, then that is the exterior of the blank wall above the club section. I have yet to hear a good reason why there is a blank wall in a prime seating area.
Somebody actually signed off on that and said yeah that sounds like a good idea.

I asked a staff member at a recent game. The explanation I was given is that originally it was intended for future expansion, premium seating etc. I envisioned a box area over the club area. That all sounds good... until you realize all of the facility's HVAC equipment is set along both sidelines of the arena. So I don't understand that line of thought. It's also not a faux wall that goes away structurally... the arena roof is set there, so it's never going to be expanded sideline seating like the other side will be. So you'll have to ask somebody else if you want a better answer. It may have been a capacity thing. You can get MORE seats by having seating around the south baseline "bowl" or "horseshoe". Your counter argument is that the sideline seats are more quality seats. Did it come down to quantity over quality? I don't know. Like I said... you'll have to ask somebody else.

All in all it'll be a great upgrade, and we surely don't need another thousand seats in the upper deck area. The blank wall will probably look less blank than everybody thought at first.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - JMU - 03-13-2020 09:40 AM

(03-13-2020 08:56 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 08:46 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(03-12-2020 07:41 PM)Longhorn Wrote:  That’s what I’m hoping too (that they’ll be covered, or removed if they’re temporary). I’m not an HVAC guy, but I do find it strange that two large pipes like that would be run up the outside of the building. I’d like to think they’re temporary so fresh air can be pumped-in and circulated while construction is going on inside the arena.

Nobody asked me to design the building. I'm more concerned with where the flaps will be placed.

So you think it’s just a design issue? I’m asking, because I suspected that the location of the external ductwork may have come down to just that simple a decision, but was hoping there’s either an efficiency or cost savings involved, or maybe both.

We all know that JMU is not getting another chance to build an arena in our lifetimes, so I hope the job is being done right, from the mechanical, usability and aesthetic points of view. Whatever it looks like and how it functions...well, that’s it. Ugly, exposed, external pipes on the facade facing University Blvd. doesn’t cut it.

Any chance we can get pics of this? Curious what this looks like.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - 2Buck - 03-13-2020 09:44 AM

They better have a 27B Stroke-6 before tampering with that thing...

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 03-13-2020 09:56 AM

(03-13-2020 09:40 AM)JMU Wrote:  Any chance we can get pics of this? Curious what this looks like.

Camera view 3
https://app.oxblue.com/open/sbballard/jmuconvocationcenter

The HVAC will be concealed with some sort of paneling once the roof membrane is finished (currently in progress). The duct work is still being wrapped.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - JMU - 03-13-2020 10:03 AM

(03-13-2020 09:56 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(03-13-2020 09:40 AM)JMU Wrote:  Any chance we can get pics of this? Curious what this looks like.

Camera view 3

The HVAC will be concealed with some sort of paneling once the roof membrane is finished (currently in progress). The duct work is still being wrapped.

Thanks.

Yes, not a good look, but, it is under construction so hopefully the pipes will be concealed or they are of a temporary nature.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - 2Buck - 03-13-2020 10:11 AM

(03-13-2020 10:03 AM)JMU Wrote:  

Camera view 3

Thanks.

Yes, not a good look, but, it is under construction so hopefully the pipes will be concealed or they are of a temporary nature.

As bad as it looks, nothing is going to make that building look worse than a horrible men's BB program.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Bawlmer Duke - 03-13-2020 10:13 AM

Camera view 3

Nice photos. Some nice looking RTUs and fart fans. Feed that building some air you gorgeous metallic duct work!

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 03-13-2020 10:22 AM

yesterday coronavirus, today pipes! we have concerns damnit

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - RamDawg - 03-13-2020 10:23 AM

Camera view 3

The tube steel frames are in place for the screen panels that haven't been installed yet. Most places I work in have codes that require all roof top equipment to be screened so it's not visible from the streets. I assume Harrisonburg is no different.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - RamDawg - 03-13-2020 10:32 AM

(03-13-2020 10:13 AM)Bawlmer Duke Wrote:  

Camera view 3

Nice photos. Some nice looking RTUs and fart fans. Feed that building some air you gorgeous metallic duct work!

Something only a "Tin-Knocker" would say and find arousing. 04-cheers

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Purplehazed - 03-13-2020 11:14 AM

(03-13-2020 10:22 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  yesterday coronavirus, today pipes! we have concerns damnit

I will voluntarily self inflict myself with coronavirus and donate $1k to the DC in exchange for Bourne providing a conference move update.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - bobbyjmu - 03-13-2020 03:20 PM

Those big arse pipes don't look temporary to me. Paint 'em Purple!

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - PGJMU2 - 03-13-2020 04:21 PM

we need an inside camera!!!!!

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - DukedoG06 - 03-16-2020 05:17 PM

Wonder if all of this could/will delay the opening? Could there be more games in the Convo to start next year?

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Wear Purple - 03-16-2020 07:09 PM

(03-16-2020 05:17 PM)DukedoG06 Wrote:  Wonder if all of this could/will delay the opening? Could there be more games in the Convo to start next year?

I doubt it. Should be on schedule for November as far as games go and practice facility, meeting rooms, etc., for the teams in September. Just one idiot's opinion of course.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Longhorn - 03-16-2020 07:09 PM

(03-16-2020 05:17 PM)DukedoG06 Wrote:  Wonder if all of this could/will delay the opening? Could there be more games in the Convo to start next year?

I suppose anything is possible, but my guess is the last game has been played in the Convo, and the opening in the new arena will go off as planned. Ballard will make it happen.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - ParentofJMUMRDs - 03-16-2020 07:42 PM

Would agree with the above but it does look like they still have a lot to do. Would really like to see some more inside shots of the facility. Where is CourtCam when you need it!!

Brian

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Bawlmer Duke - 03-17-2020 12:29 PM

It's definitely possible. Boston shut down all construction work.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/03/16/marty-walsh-orders-construction-to-stop-in-boston-to-guard-against-coronavirus/