CSNbbs
Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam (/thread-849954.html)

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - JMUTrippster - 10-30-2019 08:40 AM

So uh, what's going on with construction?

This seat discussion has me 07-coffee3... write to someone who can change this, debating it on here won't do anything and it seems like the administration already has their minds set at least for year 1...

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Bill - 10-30-2019 08:48 AM

(10-30-2019 08:40 AM)JMUTrippster Wrote:  So uh, what's going on with construction?

This seat discussion has me 07-coffee3... write to someone who can change this, debating it on here won't do anything and it seems like the administration already has their minds set at least for year 1...

For year 1 is right. I think once they see how many (or few) people are willing to cough up $525+ for one season ticket, they'll make adjustments. There is a March 2020 deadline to order premium tix, I wonder if that date was set so they would have time to make seating adjustments before the season starts.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - ShadyP - 10-30-2019 09:02 AM

(10-29-2019 05:32 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  It seems like a solid sports discussion IMO. I see it as pointing out good opportunities to get better, not as complaining.
Maybe it comes down to if people really believe Homecourt advantage matters in college basketball. There is a lot of data out there to show that it does indeed matter and it is statistically significant in college hoops even moreso than other sports.

So far, I have seen some examples given where JMU's one baseline student seating configuration matches others in the country like ODU and Richmond. I agree. But I am saying those are examples of the worst student seating configurations. So if JMU is building a $103 million Taj Mahal wouldn't we want to have the best student seating configuration to maximize homecourt advantage? Why would we elect to have the worst student seating configuration?

Easy Fix - release a new diagram that puts student seats on both baselines and let them in 30 minutes before the public. Then allow General admission tickets to sit in the endzones only if there are any remaining seats in the upper rows, otherwise up to the 2nd deck you go. Also take the first 5 rows of the sideline opposite the benches and dedicate that to student seating. This would leave the club section alone and it would still allow for courtside foldout chairs on the hardwood like many arenas have.
JMU can max out its premium seating dollars and also have student seating on 3 sides for maximum homecourt advantage.

Here are 2 recently built arenas at Auburn and Ole Miss that have 3 sides for student seating. What would be the reason that JMU could not and should not do this?

[Image: MBB_Seating_Map_2019_20.jpg]

[Image: pavilion_seating.jpg]

Come on man, you asked for examples and literally the first 3 I looked at. And to that point Richmond (Robbins Center) and ODU (Constant Center) are newer arenas which are also local to the state of Virginia and peer type institutions for basketball.

George Mason is similar - student seating behind both baskets.
VCU similar - student seating behind both baskets
VT - student seating is all on one end; there are like 3 rows in one section that connect to the student seating on that end, but very limited (similar to very limited availability at UVA).

I also picked a random SEC schools since those seem to be the example you provided:
LSU - Student seating being one basket

The new arena is going to be very nice and the sight lines will be excellent from almost everywhere. There is no need to make it seem like an epic fail b/c you don't like the student seating layout. It is not at all uncommon, sure some larger schools and those with a rich bball history may do it different and that is ok.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 10-30-2019 09:10 AM

(10-30-2019 08:48 AM)Bill Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 08:40 AM)JMUTrippster Wrote:  So uh, what's going on with construction?

For year 1 is right. I think once they see how many (or few) people are willing to cough up $525+ for one season ticket, they'll make adjustments. There is a March 2020 deadline to order premium tix, I wonder if that date was set so they would have time to make seating adjustments before the season starts.

They set that date because in April, season ticket holders will begin selecting their seats. It's a done deal, and it will be a lovely setup - one that puts JMU in a better financial position to start earning income on this expensive facility.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 10-30-2019 09:18 AM

(10-29-2019 05:32 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Easy Fix - release a new diagram that puts student seats on both baselines and let them in 30 minutes before the public.

It's not 1986. Nobody, ESPECIALLY 18-22 year olds, are showing up 2 hours before a basketball game tipoff. There's sh!t to do man!

I get that you want to maximize home court advantage. Putting students in the first 10 rows could be an answer, but it's not THE answer, and clearly JMU has decided to go another direction (student club, better student amenities, etc). At least with there will be a potential student section identity - something we have had NOTHING of for the last decade.

Call the Duke Club - 540-568-6461 and I'm sure any one of the staff there will be happy to explain how JMU arrived at this decision. I promise you it wasn't made on a whim.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - ShadyP - 10-30-2019 09:20 AM

(10-30-2019 09:18 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(10-29-2019 05:32 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  Easy Fix - release a new diagram that puts student seats on both baselines and let them in 30 minutes before the public.

It's not 1986. Nobody, ESPECIALLY 18-22 year olds, are showing up 2 hours before a basketball game tipoff. There's sh!t to do man!

I get that you want to maximize home court advantage. Putting students in the first 10 rows could be an answer, but it's not THE answer, and clearly JMU has decided to go another direction (student club, better student amenities, etc). At least with there will be a potential student section identity - something we have had NOTHING of for the last decade.

Call the Duke Club - 540-568-6461 and I'm sure any one of the staff there will be happy to explain how JMU arrived at this decision. I promise you it wasn't made on a whim.

Scooter Renkin will be happy to chat with anyone on the topic of the new arena.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - RamDawg - 10-30-2019 09:37 AM

If I were someone that is donating and paying 5, 10 or $20K for a center court seat, I wouldn't want it behind students that are standing, not at a mid-major arena like the Bank Center. I believe most of the arenas that have court side students are configured where the first 10 or so rows for students are separated by a walkway to the section above for the big donors. At Cameron, where students surround the court, they are basically risers/modular benches on the floor. Then about 15 feet above the court level is a walkway to the reserved seating. So the folks in row 1 above the student section could sit and not lose the view of the court because of standing students. Yes I know there aren't a whole lot of folks that sit at Cameron but if JMU has 1/2 the success of Duke, we're going to need a bigger boat anyway.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - RamDawg - 10-30-2019 09:44 AM

Yeah, Mason doesn't appear to be doing much unless they are working out of camera view. Maybe the architect/Owner doesn't like the shade/match of the brick and or mortar. If they are trying to match Festival, the Bank brick does look off.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - RamDawg - 10-30-2019 09:48 AM

Heard something funny from a friend that happens to be a Tick supporter. "You all need to name your arena the Vault, it's where you keep all your gold in a purple safe." He was complaining about how much money JMU spends/has.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - ShadyP - 10-30-2019 09:54 AM

(10-30-2019 09:48 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  Heard something funny from a friend that happens to be a Tick supporter. "You all need to name your arena the Vault, it's where you keep all your gold in a purple safe." He was complaining about how much money JMU spends/has.

I think 'The Vault' would be a pretty cool name to call it, especially with the bank tie in.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Bill - 10-30-2019 10:08 AM

(10-30-2019 09:10 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  

They set that date because in April, season ticket holders will begin selecting their seats. It's a done deal, and it will be a lovely setup - one that puts JMU in a better financial position to start earning income on this expensive facility.

Right, but what does JMU do if only 250 of 500 club seats are sold? I don't see them selling out that section at $525 a ticket, IMHO of course.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - AssyrianDuke - 10-30-2019 10:32 AM

(10-30-2019 09:48 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  Heard something funny from a friend that happens to be a Tick supporter. "You all need to name your arena the Vault, it's where you keep all your gold in a purple safe." He was complaining about how much money JMU spends/has.

That's rich (no pun intended) considering their $2B endowment.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - RamDawg - 10-30-2019 10:59 AM

(10-30-2019 10:32 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  

That's rich (no pun intended) considering their $2B endowment.

What can I say, he's a typical entitled tick fan.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - NJDuke97 - 10-30-2019 11:21 AM

May be a silly question but aren’t kids behind the basket part of a home field advantage on free throws etc? Not sure hi kids sitting behind the bench is better? Are we expecting the kids to trash talk the coaches and players on the opposing team or talk to other players and coaches behind our bench and that will give JMU an advantage?

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 10-30-2019 11:21 AM

(10-30-2019 10:08 AM)Bill Wrote:  

Right, but what does JMU do if only 250 of 500 club seats are sold? I don't see them selling out that section at $525 a ticket, IMHO of course.

If JMU doesn't win, and win fast, we'll be lucky to draw 250 students to games. They'll be empty whether they're marked for students or season ticket holders if we don't improve the product. The argument that students will fill sideline seats if they're given sideline seats holds no truth at all.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - 2Buck - 10-30-2019 12:15 PM

Why on Earth would you put "friend" and "tick" in the same sentence, let alone be one with a tick? Must be your VCU half 03-nutkick

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - jmufan2008 - 10-30-2019 02:05 PM

(10-30-2019 11:21 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  May be a silly question but aren’t kids behind the basket part of a home field advantage on free throws etc? Not sure hi kids sitting behind the bench is better? Are we expecting the kids to trash talk the coaches and players on the opposing team or talk to other players and coaches behind our bench and that will give JMU an advantage?

I mean...these days no. Trash talking and distracting players was banned at JMU games a decade ago. However, there are many people on here that were students during the Keener years that stood a foot from the baseline and did exactly that. And I can guarantee you between the dozen of us and the pep band we were basically the only reason for the 5 wins we got some of those seasons lol.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - NJDuke97 - 10-30-2019 04:31 PM

(10-30-2019 11:21 AM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 10:08 AM)Bill Wrote:  

If JMU doesn't win, and win fast, we'll be lucky to draw 250 students to games. They'll be empty whether they're marked for students or season ticket holders if we don't improve the product. The argument that students will fill sideline seats if they're given sideline seats holds no truth at all.

Students and non students will fill the arena initially. It will be a great new arena with amenities and it’s convenient as well. Sure winning will be needed to built on and keep the momentum but I really find it hard to fathom that the arena will be empty early on- anything but and it just happens to coincide with what should be a veteran laden competitive team for year 1 as well.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - DoubleDDuke - 10-30-2019 06:59 PM

(10-30-2019 09:44 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  

Yeah, Mason doesn't appear to be doing much unless they are working out of camera view. Maybe the architect/Owner doesn't like the shade/match of the brick and or mortar. If they are trying to match Festival, the Bank brick does look off.

That's how I would have done it, and I think that's exactly what Auburn and Ole Miss did. I completely understand wanting to be able to sit down and not be blocked out from seeing the game because those in front of you are standing. That would be a terrible deal.

I'm relatively young and even I don't want to stand throughout the game. It seems like something could have been done in compromise like making a section or 2 for the students on the sidelines, not necessarily center court.

RE: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - olddawg - 10-30-2019 08:47 PM

(10-30-2019 09:37 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  If I were someone that is donating and paying 5, 10 or $20K for a center court seat, I wouldn't want it behind students that are standing, not at a mid-major arena like the Bank Center. I believe most of the arenas that have court side students are configured where the first 10 or so rows for students are separated by a walkway to the section above for the big donors. At Cameron, where students surround the court, they are basically risers/modular benches on the floor. Then about 15 feet above the court level is a walkway to the reserved seating. So the folks in row 1 above the student section could sit and not lose the view of the court because of standing students. Yes I know there aren't a whole lot of folks that sit at Cameron but if JMU has 1/2 the success of Duke, we're going to need a bigger boat anyway.

(10-30-2019 06:59 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  
(10-30-2019 09:44 AM)RamDawg Wrote:  

That's how I would have done it, and I think that's exactly what Auburn and Ole Miss did. I completely understand wanting to be able to sit down and not be blocked out from seeing the game because those in front of you are standing. That would be a terrible deal.

I'm relatively young and even I don't want to stand throughout the game. It seems like something could have been done in compromise like making a section or 2 for the students on the sidelines, not necessarily center court.

Yup- exactly right. And I'm sure those two were designed that way on purpose. Once I saw our design, I was resigned to the reality that students wouldn't have low seats along the sidelines. It's probably a factor of needing the revenue from the best seats available. P5 schools have so much disposable income from TV contracts that they can be more accommodating in design and implementation. It can still be a tough place to play if the students feel the product is decent.