CSNbbs
Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam (/thread-849954.html)

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Longhorn - 01-22-2019 08:40 AM

(01-21-2019 10:22 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  
(01-21-2019 02:06 PM)Halz87 Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 04:42 PM)AllForDukes Wrote:  1979/1980 Concerts in Godwin

Hall and Oates (not my fav)
Kenny Logins with Dave Mason to open
The Outlaws with Molly Hatchet to open
Jimmy Buffett
Boston

All of them were headliners at the time.

I saw Eddie Money open for Heart at Convo. great show

and caught Three Dog Night at Wilson Hall
and a ton of good shows at the Mystic Den, basement of current Ramada, and Calhoun's (?)

Agreed. That was a great show. Also saw the Kinks at the Convo Spring of 85.

I think the historic evidence is in, and the new venue should only make booking attractive acts more possible, and the audience will be there to support those concerts. The question remains who’s going to be in charge of booking concerts?

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmutoml757 - 01-22-2019 09:15 AM

(01-22-2019 08:40 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(01-21-2019 10:22 PM)JMU85 Wrote:  
(01-21-2019 02:06 PM)Halz87 Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 04:42 PM)AllForDukes Wrote:  1979/1980 Concerts in Godwin

Hall and Oates (not my fav)
Kenny Logins with Dave Mason to open
The Outlaws with Molly Hatchet to open
Jimmy Buffett
Boston

All of them were headliners at the time.

I saw Eddie Money open for Heart at Convo. great show

and caught Three Dog Night at Wilson Hall
and a ton of good shows at the Mystic Den, basement of current Ramada, and Calhoun's (?)

Agreed. That was a great show. Also saw the Kinks at the Convo Spring of 85.

I think the historic evidence is in, and the new venue should only make booking attractive acts more possible, and the audience will be there to support those concerts. The question remains who’s going to be in charge of booking concerts?

I admittedly do not know much about concert promotion, but I know that a separate management company handles the booking for the UB&T Pavilion in portsmouth, a company separate from ticketmaster, whose site you are sent to if you click “tickets” where they make a mint off of fees. . I wonder if live nation or some of those ticket companies also handle booking? Who foots the marketing/promotion feess- booking people, ticketing company, or some venue management group? Inquiring minds want to know about this...and, is a UPB sponsored event separate from the ticketing for other events, and what about JMU athletic events? Are they tied to live nation, ticketmaster etc too?

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - ParentofJMUMRDs - 01-23-2019 07:51 AM

Looks like another set of stairs and a stairwell is going in. Guys are moving right along!!

Brian

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - ShadyP - 01-24-2019 12:42 PM

(01-19-2019 08:38 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  James Taylor played at the Convo in the late 90s. Great concert and packed.

That was a good show.

I also saw Alabama play at the convo in the 90's (when Alabama was still really big act) place was packed.

I saw Confederate Railroad in the 90's at the convo who were pretty big at the time. (P.S. this new guy no one had ever heard of ---- Kenny Chesney opened up for them)

I think Country Concerts would do well in Harrisonburg with the local community. Maybe not the HUGE-A1 acts doing the big stadium tours, but for sure that next rung of acts that are still very popular just cannot headline a Big Arena Tour.

The Rockingham County Fair does a pretty good job hosting concerts and have good crowds.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 01-24-2019 01:51 PM

Buddy of mine saw Panic last night at JPJ and sent a ton of pics/vids to me. It would be super awesome if that's what we wound up with in Harrisonburg. Hopefully that's the goal. The plans for this building are so hush hush it has me a little concerned. Nobody seems to know what we're getting. I'm usually one of the first to point to the fact that JMU has built slam dunk facilities in the last decade, but there's a lot riding on this one.

For those of us on the routine webcam snooping - tough view on cam #2 now where they built a quarter of a parking deck to hide progress going on down in that bowl! I guess now they're going to flip over and build the other quarter on the soccer field side.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - HyperDuke - 01-24-2019 08:51 PM

Widespread Panic plays JPJ???

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmufan2008 - 01-24-2019 09:24 PM

Panic last night was the best produced show I've ever seen. 100% impossible to do in the current Convo for lots of reasons. Really hoping we can host shows on par with that.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 01-24-2019 10:23 PM

(01-24-2019 09:24 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Panic last night was the best produced show I've ever seen. 100% impossible to do in the correct Convo for lots of reasons. Really hoping we can host shows on par with that.

It really looked like something. Jealous you went!

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - BleedingPurple - 01-25-2019 02:54 PM

(01-24-2019 01:51 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Buddy of mine saw Panic last night at JPJ and sent a ton of pics/vids to me. It would be super awesome if that's what we wound up with in Harrisonburg. Hopefully that's the goal. The plans for this building are so hush hush it has me a little concerned. Nobody seems to know what we're getting. I'm usually one of the first to point to the fact that JMU has built slam dunk facilities in the last decade, but there's a lot riding on this one.

For those of us on the routine webcam snooping - tough view on cam #2 now where they built a quarter of a parking deck to hide progress going on down in that bowl! I guess now they're going to flip over and build the other quarter on the soccer field side.

JPJ is roughly an hour from Richmond, the general public has no problem with that distance/time. Harrisonburg is double that and a tougher sell to all but the diehard no matter the event.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Dukester - 01-25-2019 03:01 PM

Why not have a Rock and Roll HOF band with a JMU alumni play in the new arena?

Keith Howland

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmutoml757 - 01-25-2019 04:43 PM

Do any of you more “mature” fans remember seeing Joe Cocker in Godwin way back in the day?? A townie buddy of mine recalls that show, and he said ole Joe had 2 cases of Schlitz beer right beside his piano bench, which he drank one after another all night. Toward the end of the show he simply leaned over to the other side of the piano and yacked right there on stage. Sad, gross, tragic and kind of a classic memory of Joe Cocker I suppose.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - JMaddy - 01-25-2019 10:29 PM

(01-24-2019 01:51 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Buddy of mine saw Panic last night at JPJ and sent a ton of pics/vids to me. It would be super awesome if that's what we wound up with in Harrisonburg. Hopefully that's the goal. The plans for this building are so hush hush it has me a little concerned. Nobody seems to know what we're getting. I'm usually one of the first to point to the fact that JMU has built slam dunk facilities in the last decade, but there's a lot riding on this one.

Widespread Panic, Panic! at the Disco or is there some other band named "Panic" not previously associated with David Mustane that I'm too old to know about?

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmuroadwarrior - 01-26-2019 06:52 AM

(01-25-2019 04:43 PM)jmutoml757 Wrote:  Do any of you more “mature” fans remember seeing Joe Cocker in Godwin way back in the day?? A townie buddy of mine recalls that show, and he said ole Joe had 2 cases of Schlitz beer right beside his piano bench, which he drank one after another all night. Toward the end of the show he simply leaned over to the other side of the piano and yacked right there on stage. Sad, gross, tragic and kind of a classic memory of Joe Cocker I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCrlyX6XbTU

I guess his best friend was Schlitz

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - ParentofJMUMRDs - 01-27-2019 08:59 AM

I see the big crane got moved to the far end of the parking garage over the past couple of days. Starting a new section I would guess.

Brian

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Dukester - 01-27-2019 09:23 AM

(05-15-2018 11:33 AM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  What is the right number of suites ShadyP? It is a legit question and the official answer has changed multiple times.
Having faith is fine if you are just a fan. Faith isn’t sufficient if you are donating money to a $88 million arena.

I'd suggest more bleachers and less club and suites seats based on Men's basketball program.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - HyperDuke - 01-27-2019 12:28 PM

We either need a few suites and a big club or a ton of suites.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - olddawg - 01-27-2019 12:36 PM

Although I personally don't care for the suites (feel too removed from the game), I think it would be a mistake not to have them. Fat cats love them. I would imagine that comparably sized, newly constructed arenas all have them. Having only two would just seem cheap.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Hart Foundation - 01-27-2019 12:56 PM

Options for Luxury seating is the right financial play. You can look at arenas built in the last decade and see evidence in arenadigest.com and similar industry websites.

Fewer John Q Public seats and more premium options.
A few large suites for the Prez and some Fortune 500 types
Some Mini-Suites for local smaller businesses
Some Club seats for the Duke Club members that want to socialize in the club room.
Some Public Premium seats for those that would like a restricted access beer garden pregame and halftime

Arenas don’t make their money by selling out 8500 general seats.
They do it by having many options for premium seating that are far more profitable.
I still think 6500 is the right capacity number, but there should be chunks of that dedicated to different levels of premium seating

Here is an article that talks about arena capacity strategy. One of the things it mentions is Richmond’s renovation of the Robins Center. Their average attendance only went up 242 people in the first season, but revenue went up 31%. People will pay more if they have the right amenities.
https://www.athleticbusiness.com/stadium-arena/spectator-venues-are-realizing-the-benefits-of-downsizing-seating-capacity.html

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - 2Buck - 01-28-2019 12:51 PM

Silly morons, there will be only one suite-

A shadowy lair from which our king can continue his inconspicuous mastery of cost accounting and capital expenditures, with only the occasional peak between the blinds to admire the abundance of underutilized seating.

[Image: 6KIhVH4.jpg]

[Image: PUvVCMh.jpg]

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - mad_dog97 - 02-01-2019 09:48 AM

Got some rebranding work to do. No longer Union Bank:

Union Bank --> Atlantic Union

[Image: DyU2kYWW0AAvgJB.jpg:small]