CSNbbs
Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt East Team Talk (/forum-289.html)
+----- Forum: James Madison (/forum-685.html)
+----- Thread: Atlantic Union Bank Center Webcam (/thread-849954.html)

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Longhorn - 01-04-2019 10:50 AM

(01-04-2019 10:08 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Does this mean we can get more/bigger artists to play in Harrisonburg? The only artist of note that I know played in Hburg was Common, and that was 2006 or 07.

The new arena will be an excellent venue for many top performers. As has been pointed out, the Convo was a complete disaster for virtually anything it was used for, and it will be difficult (and expensive) to convert to anything approaching usable. Not so for the new arena.

The question I have about the new arena is who will be working to promote and book shows? And is there a potential line-up of concerts, etc. already in the books?

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - BleedingPurple - 01-04-2019 11:05 AM

(01-04-2019 10:50 AM)Longhorn Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 10:08 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Does this mean we can get more/bigger artists to play in Harrisonburg? The only artist of note that I know played in Hburg was Common, and that was 2006 or 07.

The new arena will be an excellent venue for many top performers. As has been pointed out, the Convo was a complete disaster for virtually anything it was used for, and it will be difficult (and expensive) to convert to anything approaching usable. Not so for the new arena.

The question I have about the new arena is who will be working to promote and book shows? And is there a potential line-up of concerts, etc. already in the books?

A concern of mine as well. Just curious if anyone knows who, what department of the university, or any particulars, that UVA has in place for JP Jones. They seem to have it figured out.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmufan2008 - 01-04-2019 11:22 AM

It won't hurt, for sure. The logistics to have an artist perform in the Convo makes it difficult for some. But the main thing hurting JMU in bringing in big artists is the setup of the Convo. We could generally only sell ~3,300 tickets max (from what I remember...give or take a few hundred probably). The stage would back up against press row, have a few hundred floor tickets, a few thousand in the stands behind the team benches, and then a few up in the sideline stands (but no many since it's only a handful of rows). The new Center won't just bring an increase from 7k-and-change seats total to 8,500 seats total, but a much better setup. From the mockups I've seen, it looks like they'll be able to use at least 2/3 or 3/4 of the seats for concerts, plus potentially more floor tickets than we currently can. If they can double the number of tickets they can potentially sell, they can use that money to increase the amount they pay for an artist. Not only that, but the bigger the artist, the more people will pay for a ticket. That means with twice the tickets and potentially a 50% increase in ticket costs for a bigger artist, they could bring in 3x the ticket revenue to get that bigger artist.

The cost is also subsidized from the UPB budget to decrease costs for student tickets, so it's not like they can just bring in an artist 3x as big just from upping ticket revenue, but probably 2x as big. For example: https://variety.com/2014/music/news/degy-entertainment-breaks-down-artist-booking-fees-1201189498/ (btw it's hilarious looking at this from 4.5 years ago, several of those artists are easily $1MM+ now). If you hear them on the radio frequently and they've been around for more than a couple years, they're out of JMU's range. The hope is to get someone small with a cult following, get someone early right as they're starting to blow up (keep in mind these are booked months in advance and in that time they can get big or they can fizzle out quickly so that track is risky), or someone past their prime. With the new arena, JMU will be able to bring some mid-range artists, but still none of the biggest names unless they hold it in Bridgeforth or charge $150/ticket. If you keep up with what the JPJ gets, I would imagine it'll be similar to that, but slightly smaller...but could up the number of mid-range acts we get in the area, which is awesome.

Either way, the quality of the artist and the quality of the show will definitely go up significantly. And JMU would definitely be missing the bus if that didn't drop double the budget for the initial grand opening concert.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmufan2008 - 01-04-2019 11:29 AM

I'd love to know the booking operation as well. I would imagine there would be a separate entity in charge of booking a steady stream of bands instead of one each semester in the Convo. Any more than one per semester is too much for UPB. There's a lot more logistics involved for that vs. the smaller venue shows.

Another great thing that will come out of this that I failed to mention above. It was always a PITA trying to schedule a concert in the Convo...not just because of games getting in the way, but because we had to work around both teams' practice schedules. Now that we'll have a separate practice facility, things will be much easier to schedule. We had a handful of dates that were available, which made it impossible to work out things with some artists. Now they should have at least 3-4 days/week available to bring in concerts (not saying they would use all those dates, just saying that you're not winning the lottery to get a free date for artist and venue anymore).

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Wear Purple - 01-04-2019 12:41 PM

I believe UVA's JPJ has both an Events Manager and a Facility Manager. The Events Manager knows contracts, books events as well as being the go-to person when approached by the entity wanting to utilize the facility, and so forth. The Facility Manager does the physical work overseeing before set up, during event management, and post-event clean up...along with continuous preventative maintenance and general upkeep. The Facility Manager has a small staff dedicated to JPJ. Events Manager might have an assistant, but not much more than that.

I am unsure which branch of the University these colleagues report to. I saw an ad at UVa's Job Link portal a couple of years ago for one of these positions but can't recall which department. I'm wanting to say it does NOT report under Athletics, but obviously could be wrong.

edit note: speaking of UVA, George Welsh has died...RIP.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Hart Foundation - 01-04-2019 03:30 PM

I don’t particularly care which concerts might come to the new arena because I live too far away, but who do you think will be on the schedule?

My take is that there won’t be many, if any significant concerts.
1 Tiny market that will struggle to sell enough tickets for promoters liking
2 JPJ is less than an hour away and will always get the select shows.

I foresee college concerts from the artists that do cross country campus tours and then some mid level shows for those artists on their way up or on their way down.

But if we have a music fanatic that wants to fund the $88 million oversized basketball arena so they can see more 2nd tier concerts, I will shake your hand and say thank you. 04-cheers

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - AssyrianDuke - 01-04-2019 04:18 PM

I've driven to Baltimore to watch shows at standing room only venues, and that drive takes me about as long as driving to Harrisonburg. There were some pretty good names on the list that JMUFan2008 sent out, although it might be out of date, as stated.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmufan2008 - 01-04-2019 05:14 PM

(01-04-2019 03:30 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I don’t particularly care which concerts might come to the new arena because I live too far away, but who do you think will be on the schedule?

I foresee college concerts from the artists that do cross country campus tours and then some mid level shows for those artists on their way up or on their way down.

But if we have a music fanatic that wants to fund the $88 million oversized basketball arena so they can see more 2nd tier concerts, I will shake your hand and say thank you. 04-cheers

I mean, even if they can somehow squeeze 7,000 tickets into the Bank (though probably closer to 6k), you're still talking 1/3 the size of the student body. Add in BC and EMU, plus the fact that it (along with JPJ) are the only venues within a couple hours and if it's a weekend show their friends from other VA colleges will drive in for the party. Otherwise you're driving 2 hours to Richmond, Roanoke, or Dulles/DC. JPJ can only fit but so many concerts into their schedule. It's not like they're hosting every artist that comes through the east coast. There's plenty to go around. While UPB has had some misses, even with a much smaller budget than what they'll have they've had several sellouts or near sellouts. Basically, JMU will be able to go from tier 3 to tier 2 artists. They'll never get tier 1 (hell, even JPJ usually doesn't get those), but it's a whole different class of artist when you have the potential to get a ~300k or above artist.

Also, don't underestimate what stations like Q101 can do to sponsor bands coming in if the venue booking is done separately from the University (or at least if the University allows outside entities to book concerts).

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - JMU John - 01-04-2019 07:05 PM

Saw Tom Petty and 38 Special on same billl in Godwin in Feb 83. I know different times but TP was on SNL the night before.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?artist=6bd6e20a&page=5&query=tour:%28Long+After+Dark%29

I guess the days for thinking BIG died in a lot of ways from JMU since those days.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Longhorn - 01-04-2019 09:32 PM

(01-04-2019 07:05 PM)JMU John Wrote:  Saw Tom Petty and 38 Special on same billl in Godwin in Feb 83. I know different times but TP was on SNL the night before.

https://www.setlist.fm/search?artist=6bd6e20a&page=5&query=tour:%28Long+After+Dark%29

I guess the days for thinking BIG died in a lot of ways from JMU since those days.

No, it only died in the minds of some people...the new arena will rock, but unless we get a new HC in MBB that knows what the hell is going on, it won't be in MBB.

Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - JMUDunk - 01-05-2019 08:02 AM

(01-04-2019 05:14 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 03:30 PM)Hart Foundation Wrote:  I don’t particularly care which concerts might come to the new arena because I live too far away, but who do you think will be on the schedule?

I mean, even if they can somehow squeeze 7,000 tickets into the Bank (though probably closer to 6k), you're still talking 1/3 the size of the student body. Add in BC and EMU, plus the fact that it (along with JPJ) are the only venues within a couple hours and if it's a weekend show their friends from other VA colleges will drive in for the party. Otherwise you're driving 2 hours to Richmond, Roanoke, or Dulles/DC. JPJ can only fit but so many concerts into their schedule. It's not like they're hosting every artist that comes through the east coast. There's plenty to go around. While UPB has had some misses, even with a much smaller budget than what they'll have they've had several sellouts or near sellouts. Basically, JMU will be able to go from tier 3 to tier 2 artists. They'll never get tier 1 (hell, even JPJ usually doesn't get those), but it's a whole different class of artist when you have the potential to get a ~300k or above artist.

Also, don't underestimate what stations like Q101 can do to sponsor bands coming in if the venue booking is done separately from the University (or at least if the University allows outside entities to book concerts).

My daughter is now a soph and lives off campus. She has someone from Vippysue, GMCC or c-vile at her place seemingly every weekend.

We used to travel for a party in our beaters, kids now REALLY like to travel in their Honda’s with the gps and auto iTunes hook ups wherever it may take them.

You get one of those (rather creepy IMO) emo guys to come strum a few cords and I’d bet she could rent her couch and floor space.

It’d be OMG! ErmmiGod!!! All over the place

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmuroadwarrior - 01-05-2019 09:28 AM

(01-05-2019 08:02 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 05:14 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  

My daughter is now a soph and lives off campus. She has someone from Vippysue, GMCC or c-vile at her place seemingly every weekend.

We used to travel for a party in our beaters, kids now REALLY like to travel in their Honda’s with the gps and auto iTunes hook ups wherever it may take them.

You get one of those (rather creepy IMO) emo guys to come strum a few cords and I’d bet she could rent her couch and floor space.

It’d be OMG! ErmmiGod!!! All over the place

I agree. My daughter went to W&M for the academics. On the weekends she went to JMU to get away from the academics. My son who went to JMU, often had his buddies from HS (who lost their way and went to the other VA colleges) come on the weekends. The son never went to their places.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - ParentofJMUMRDs - 01-18-2019 03:25 PM

Looks like the parking garage is moving along well.

Brian

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - jmutoml757 - 01-18-2019 03:37 PM

(01-18-2019 03:25 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Looks like the parking garage is moving along well.

Brian

Thanks to Brian this thread is back on topic. But as a former employee of the Commonwealth who worked for JMU as a student I was often involved in the “townie” concerts that came to the convo back in the 87-91 era...they could pack em in there for the likes of Alabama, George Jones etc. It was a fun to people watch at those events. I remember the UPB bringing in UB40, Bruce Hornsby, Smithereens, Public Enemy (we were so gangsta), the Fixx, and many more. Some shows in Wilson and were always packed, while others were in convo. The townie country shows were always a packed convo. Stage was situated on the home bench basket end.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Dignan - 01-18-2019 03:53 PM

I went to several concerts at the Convo while I was a student. The biggest one was probably Live, which I think was booked before they got big and happened at pretty much the apex of their popularity. I have to say it was a fantastic concert. I saw some others that were quite good... P-Funk and Coolio (although this one was good because Coolio’s tardiness meant The Roots played an extended set).

A few years ago Phish played at JP Jones for their tour closer. I think their management company is based in Charlottesville so that’s probably why they played there but that would be a big one to book.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - AllForDukes - 01-18-2019 04:42 PM

1979/1980 Concerts in Godwin

Hall and Oates (not my fav)
Kenny Logins with Dave Mason to open
The Outlaws with Molly Hatchet to open
Jimmy Buffett
Boston

All of them were headliners at the time.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Purplehazed - 01-19-2019 08:38 PM

James Taylor played at the Convo in the late 90s. Great concert and packed.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Deez Nuts - 01-21-2019 08:35 AM

(01-18-2019 03:25 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Looks like the parking garage is moving along well.

Brian

Worth mentioning that the parking deck is 25% completed. It's pretty big as it is but to think it's only a quarter of the way set gives you a sense of how big it's going to be when completed.

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - Halz87 - 01-21-2019 02:06 PM

(01-18-2019 04:42 PM)AllForDukes Wrote:  1979/1980 Concerts in Godwin

Jimmy Buffett
Boston

I saw Eddie Money open for Heart at Convo. great show

and caught Three Dog Night at Wilson Hall
and a ton of good shows at the Mystic Den, basement of current Ramada, and Calhoun's (?)

RE: Union Bank & Trust Center Webcam - JMU85 - 01-21-2019 10:22 PM

(01-21-2019 02:06 PM)Halz87 Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 04:42 PM)AllForDukes Wrote:  1979/1980 Concerts in Godwin

Jimmy Buffett
Boston

I saw Eddie Money open for Heart at Convo. great show

and caught Three Dog Night at Wilson Hall
and a ton of good shows at the Mystic Den, basement of current Ramada, and Calhoun's (?)

Agreed. That was a great show. Also saw the Kinks at the Convo Spring of 85.