CSNbbs
How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? (/thread-848423.html)

Pages: 1 2

How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - GaSoEagle - 04-19-2018 12:20 PM

12 or 8 or 6 or 4 or 2 or just have no tourney?

For me 6 is the right number

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - EigenEagle - 04-19-2018 12:34 PM

Should've made it a poll.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - GSUALUM17 - 04-19-2018 12:38 PM

Top 4. Make it a quick weekend event

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - itsmeagain - 04-19-2018 01:18 PM

Top 8. Go back to the old style that we used, top two seeds get double byes to semi-finals, seeds 5, 6, 7, and 8 have essentially play-in games that put them against the 3rd and 4th seeds. Gives some real meaning to the regular season in that every team will have something to fight for (whether it's actually getting to play in the tournament or getting a very tangible benefit to having a greater seed), along with protecting the top seeds.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Yosef Himself - 04-19-2018 01:22 PM

All the teams.

If you're afraid of being knocked out by a lower seed, play better.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - TrueBlueDrew - 04-19-2018 01:25 PM

(04-19-2018 01:22 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  All the teams.

Only the top teams.

If you're afraid of being left out of the tourney, play better during the regular season.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Yosef Himself - 04-19-2018 01:37 PM

(04-19-2018 01:25 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  

Only the top teams.

If you're afraid of being left out of the tourney, play better during the regular season.

Spoken like someone who's drunk off crap creek water

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - CAJUNNATION - 04-19-2018 01:39 PM

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn1.ijr.com%2Fwp-conte...mp;amp;f=1]

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - CardinalBlackTrojan - 04-19-2018 01:48 PM

I say 10. The bottom two teams shouldn't go. #1 and #2 seeds get a first round bye.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Yosef Himself - 04-19-2018 01:48 PM

It's funny to me that teams in this conference would poopoo on giving every team a chance to get hot in March when a team, in this conference, without March Magic wouldn't get beyond the first round.

How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - grumpdoggMav - 04-19-2018 01:49 PM

I say we should scrap the tournament. It's hard enough to win the regular season let alone turning around less than a week later to win a tournament where the top team has to win 3 games in 3 days. I'd much rather we just sent the regular season champ to the tournament.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - jag313 - 04-19-2018 01:55 PM

I will always be a "have all teams play" guy.

I can remember when the Sun Belt tourney was a hot ticket with 8-10k in attendance. UAB, VCU, ODU, WKU, etc were in the belt which made it fun.

Would love to see the tourney as an "event" again but those days may be gone.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - TrueBlueDrew - 04-19-2018 01:58 PM

(04-19-2018 01:37 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

Only the top teams.

Spoken like someone who's been snowed in inside his cabin since November

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Yosef Himself - 04-19-2018 02:00 PM

(04-19-2018 01:49 PM)grumpdoggMav Wrote:  I say we should scrap the tournament. It's hard enough to win the regular season let alone turning around less than a week later to win a tournament where the top team has to win 3 games in 3 days. I'd much rather we just sent the regular season champ to the tournament.

1. That'd make the conference look lower major.
2. That'd ensure the sun belt has zero representation in the NIT
3. That'd rob the team sent to the NCAA tourney the chance to play in a high stress environment and get ready for the NCAA Tourney. Also, would rob them of the conference tourney trophy.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Yosef Himself - 04-19-2018 02:00 PM

(04-19-2018 01:58 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 01:37 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

Only the top teams.

Spoken like someone who's been snowed in inside his cabin since November

That cuts deep, man.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - grumpdoggMav - 04-19-2018 02:10 PM

(04-19-2018 02:00 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 01:49 PM)grumpdoggMav Wrote:  I say we should scrap the tournament. It's hard enough to win the regular season let alone turning around less than a week later to win a tournament where the top team has to win 3 games in 3 days. I'd much rather we just sent the regular season champ to the tournament.

3. That'd rob the team sent to the NCAA tourney the chance to play in a high stress environment and get ready for the NCAA Tourney. Also, would rob them of the conference tourney trophy.
I'll give you each point except the one about the NIT. We've only have had teams in the NIT lately because the regular season champ didn't win the conf tourney. I can guarantee they would rather be in the NCAA tourney.

If our regular season champ does win the tourney we won't have a team in the NIT anyway. When is the last time a Sun Belt team received an at-large bid to the NIT?

We need to be sending our strongest team to the NCAA tourney to give us the best chance of winning games and getting the money that comes from each game played.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - Yosef Himself - 04-19-2018 02:22 PM

(04-19-2018 02:10 PM)grumpdoggMav Wrote:  
(04-19-2018 02:00 PM)Yosef Himself Wrote:  

I'll give you each point except the one about the NIT. We've only have had teams in the NIT lately because the regular season champ didn't win the conf tourney. I can guarantee they would rather be in the NCAA tourney.

If our regular season champ does win the tourney we won't have a team in the NIT anyway. When is the last time a Sun Belt team received an at-large bid to the NIT?

We need to be sending our strongest team to the NCAA tourney to give us the best chance of winning games and getting the money that comes from each game played.

If our strongest team can't get hot enough in March to win the Sun Belt tourney then a hot team needs to go. Hot > Good when it comes to March Madness.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - EigenEagle - 04-19-2018 02:40 PM

No more than 4, and don't do anything that is single elimination. Send the best team to the NCAAs.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - _x_ - 04-19-2018 02:45 PM

Instead of focusing on out of the box gimmicks maybe we should focus on non-conference scheduling and non-conference wins to put our regular season champ in a situation where if they win 25+ games they can make the tournament without having to win the sun belt tournament.

This past season was pretty bad for the sun belt league wide. Louisiana couldn't get out of the first round of the NIT. What makes anyone think they'd have gotten past the first round of the NCAA tournament?

There's some factors outside our control like newer selection criteria benefiting the power conferences, but we've done a poor job the last 5 years of controlling what we can through putting resources into our programs and scheduling in a manner that at least gives you a shot if you win a lot of games.

RE: How many teams should go to Belt basketball tourney? - SkullyMaroo - 04-19-2018 03:33 PM

Scenario 1:

#1 team finished 14-4 in league play, but is 0-4 in its last 4 games. This could be with or without an injury that changes the dynamics of the team. #2 team finishes 13-5 in league play, but has won its last 12 games all by double digits. Should there be a tournament or do you just send team #1?

Scenario 2:

The top 2 teams tie with a 15-1 record. Let’s say their one loss is to each other, then who goes? There isn’t a tiebreaker to be had unless you use RPI rank. Would you have a one game free for all? If so, who hosts? If the loss wasn’t to each other, are we really going to tiebreaks to determine champ?