CSNbbs
Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: MemphisTigers.org (/forum-446.html)
+------ Forum: Dockery-Finch Memorial Tiger Sports Forum (/forum-499.html)
+------ Thread: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant (/thread-848186.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - mempho_to_diego - 04-16-2018 01:14 PM

Hmmmmmm interesting.

Penny has 3/4 other coaches in the works too.

RE: Sam Mitchelle, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - Seabee TIger Fan - 04-16-2018 01:15 PM

0 college experience.

RE: Sam Mitchelle, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - Joe1 - 04-16-2018 01:15 PM

You deleted my thread/post man.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - jgardne - 04-16-2018 01:16 PM

From doc Holliday. Does that mean it’s Bowen’s preference?

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - mempho_to_diego - 04-16-2018 01:17 PM

(04-16-2018 01:15 PM)Joe1 Wrote:  You deleted my thread/post man.

Couldn't merge it ... sorry man.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - BigTigerMike - 04-16-2018 01:17 PM

(04-16-2018 01:15 PM)Seabee TIger Fan Wrote:  0 college experience.

Penny ‘had’ someone lined up for the job that had college coaching experience and NBA experience *cough* but somebody(s) said no.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - stratecashomie - 04-16-2018 01:17 PM

(04-16-2018 01:16 PM)jgardne Wrote:  From doc Holliday. Does that mean it’s Bowen’s preference?

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - mempho_to_diego - 04-16-2018 01:17 PM

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - TigerSeth - 04-16-2018 01:19 PM

Puts a lot on Tony Madlock IMO....3 guys with no college experience.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - WColt45 - 04-16-2018 01:22 PM

(04-16-2018 01:15 PM)Seabee TIger Fan Wrote:  0 college experience.

but 0 recruiting violations, right? Now Tommy can feel good about himself that he showed Penny who was boss. At the expense of having a great resource that would really help the program as a whole. Meanwhile, the first P5 that he can convince to hire him, he's out of here. No different than the rest of the carpetbaggers who come here and then leave us high and dry. I hope we replace him with someone that IS Memphis.

That being said, if we couldn't get LB, I'd be ok with Sam as an X's and O's guy. He knows how to run a set.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - HarvardTiger - 04-16-2018 01:22 PM

LB, take that full time consultant's job!

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - gusrob - 04-16-2018 01:34 PM

(04-16-2018 01:22 PM)HarvardTiger Wrote:  LB, take that full time consultant's job!

I'm a Tiger all the way. But he should tell Bowen to shove it!

Try to pretend the LB thing never happened. It makes this hire easier to stomach.

[Image: File:Neuralizer1.jpg]

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - TigersOhMy - 04-16-2018 01:38 PM

He can sell NBA coaching experience, but 0 college is concerning, as is his overall record.

I do understand that a lead assistant with previous head coaching experience is there because they got fired somewhere, but I would prefer if said coach had good seasons every now and then. Hiring a previous head coach that has been nothing but a career loser probably isn't going to give you the best coaching advice...jmo.
I mean his absolute best season as a head coach ended with a .573 record.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - gusrob - 04-16-2018 01:42 PM

(04-16-2018 01:38 PM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  He can sell NBA coaching experience, but 0 college is concerning, as is his overall record.

I do understand that a lead assistant with previous head coaching experience is there because they got fired somewhere, but I would prefer if said coach had good seasons every now and then. Hiring a previous head coach that has been nothing but a career loser probably isn't going to give you the best coaching advice...jmo.

And had solid team with Indiana Pacers in 90s: Reggie Miller, Rik Smitts, Antonio Davis, Mark Jackson.....

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - BigTigerMike - 04-16-2018 01:44 PM

Well, no one should complain. Penny can’t hire who he wants so this the result unless somebody else really special walks through that door 07-coffee3

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - rolexjames - 04-16-2018 01:45 PM

(04-16-2018 01:42 PM)gusrob Wrote:  
(04-16-2018 01:38 PM)TigersOhMy Wrote:  He can sell NBA coaching experience, but 0 college is concerning, as is his overall record.

And had solid team with Indiana Pacers in 90s: Reggie Miller, Rik Smitts, Antonio Davis, Mark Jackson.....

Penny also played against his game plans, so he would know if he was worth his salt as an coach.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - 80sTiger - 04-16-2018 01:50 PM

I thought Penny needed someone with college HC experience to help him with "running the program" ?

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - HometownTiger - 04-16-2018 01:51 PM

I’m concerned about the lack of college experience. I’m sure he knows basketball Xs and Os, but the day-to-day program management experience would be lacking.

Ill trust Penny though

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - memtigbb - 04-16-2018 01:51 PM

(04-16-2018 01:50 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  I thought Penny needed someone with college HC experience to help him with "running the program" ?

Most people think he does, including me. Like Mike Miller was saying earlier, they are wearing Madlock out with all the questions.

RE: Sam Mitchell, ex-Raptors player, leading candidate for Lead Assistant - MTiger'14 - 04-16-2018 01:56 PM

(04-16-2018 01:50 PM)80sTiger Wrote:  I thought Penny needed someone with college HC experience to help him with "running the program" ?

I think that is why Hamilton was brought in as DOBO. He has experience handling all of the administrative/behind the scenes stuff at other D1 programs. I think (and hope) that the plan is for Dwight Boyd and Hamilton take some of those things off of his plate so that he can focus on recruiting and the on-the-floor product.