CSNbbs
Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament (/thread-847858.html)

Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - rokamortis - 04-11-2018 04:27 PM

The inaugural Myrtle Beach Invitational will be held November 15, 16, and 18 2018.

Unfortunately we aren't participating this year but the field includes West Virginia, Western Kentucky, St. Josephs, Valparaiso, Cal State Fullerton, Wake Forest, and a yet to be announced school.

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/news/local/article208588359.html

http://espnevents.com/myrtle-beach-invitational/news-and-updates/espn-events-announces-new-early-season-tournament-2018/

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - troutbummike - 04-11-2018 04:50 PM

That's awesome.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - SkullyMaroo - 04-11-2018 07:10 PM

(04-11-2018 04:50 PM)troutbummike Wrote:  That's awesome.

I don’t know. I would be disappointed if USA hosted a tournament it wasn’t even playing in.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - Tealblood - 04-11-2018 09:21 PM

We aren’t allowed to participate but 1 time every 4 years

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - Tealblood - 04-11-2018 09:22 PM

Since it is an exempt tournament

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - SkullyMaroo - 04-11-2018 10:38 PM

I would want to participate in the first one then.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - chiefsfan - 04-12-2018 02:06 AM

(04-11-2018 09:21 PM)Tealblood Wrote:  We aren’t allowed to participate but 1 time every 4 years

That rule has long changed. You are allowed to play 1 exempt tournament a year now.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - bodoyle - 04-12-2018 06:25 AM

But I don't think it can be the same tourney every year Chief.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - rokamortis - 04-12-2018 07:29 AM

It would be cool to participate, but even if we don't it still brings good exposure to the university and somewhat to the conference.

I'm hoping by hosting regular events like these that the area can justify a new arena.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - BKTopper - 04-12-2018 08:33 AM

We're very excited about it. Trying to justify going down there and making a week out of it!

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - Usajags - 04-12-2018 08:47 AM

Hopefully they include a SBC team each year.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - MOTIAW - 04-12-2018 09:04 AM

(04-12-2018 08:47 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Hopefully they include a SBC team each year.

Don’t hold your breath... As far as I know the American is still the “conference sponsor” (all these early events have to have a conference sponsor technically). If they are still going to be, I don’t see them wanting to throw us any exposure.

Though I think App St did get one of the non-bracketed, on campus games last year?

And... there’s not an American team in the seven listed thus far... maybe it’s changing.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - rokamortis - 04-12-2018 09:21 AM

(04-12-2018 08:33 AM)BKTopper Wrote:  We're very excited about it. Trying to justify going down there and making a week out of it!

Very cool. Many of the teams are in areas / states that have a large number of visitors to the MB area - so I think there will be a decent number of traveling fans. I read some comments from WVU fans and they seemed to be pretty excited about it as well.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - rokamortis - 04-12-2018 09:23 AM

(04-12-2018 09:04 AM)MOTIAW Wrote:  
(04-12-2018 08:47 AM)Usajags Wrote:  Hopefully they include a SBC team each year.

Don’t hold your breath... As far as I know the American is still the “conference sponsor” (all these early events have to have a conference sponsor technically). If they are still going to be, I don’t see them wanting to throw us any exposure.

Though I think App St did get one of the non-bracketed, on campus games last year?

And... there’s not an American team in the seven listed thus far... maybe it’s changing.

ESPN said this doesn't replace the PR Tipoff even though it may effectively be doing just that this year but they are working with PR representatives. If they can get the PR Tipoff back up and running then maybe the SBC will be the sponsor for the MB Invitational moving forward.

RE: Coastal Carolina to host new ESPN owned early season basketball tournament - wh49er - 04-12-2018 01:09 PM

The cool thing here, all the teams will have airbrushed alternate unis for the tournament.