CSNbbs
Wrestling Program Endowment? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: MACbbs (/forum-513.html)
+---- Forum: MAC - West Team Talk (/forum-464.html)
+----- Forum: Eastern Michigan (/forum-478.html)
+----- Thread: Wrestling Program Endowment? (/thread-847529.html)

Pages: 1 2

Wrestling Program Endowment? - Block_E - 04-06-2018 09:08 AM

I got this rumor from the "Save EMU Wrestling" facebook page. Look it up if you like, but I warn you that it's too toxic to ever change anyone's mind.

They are claiming there is a $500,000 endowment for EMU Wrestling. Does anyone know what they're talking about?

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - emu79 - 04-06-2018 09:41 AM

http://news.theopenmat.com/blog/2018/03/23/fight-save-eastern-michigan-take-time-preemptive-support-elsewhere/

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - ljmhurons - 04-07-2018 07:59 AM

The U should give it back.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - emu steve - 04-07-2018 08:30 AM

(04-07-2018 07:59 AM)ljmhurons Wrote:  The U should give it back.

Did it come from Dean Rockwell? If so, EMU has a legitimate question how to handle those funds.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Jerry Weaver - 04-07-2018 08:06 PM

I agree, if a donation was targeted for a stated specific program the University should return it if that program is discontinued. That's just good honest business. I made a targeted donation recently to the Champions Building program and if the University decides to abandon the project, I would certainly expect a refund.

While I regret deeply the discontinuation of the Men's wrestling and swimming programs, I feel that many are missing the Title IX implications of restoring those activities. If they come back then so do women's softball and tennis as well. In essence the costs of participating in the men's sports also include those of a women's sports or sport activity. To analyze the viability of an individual sport is far more complex than it seems. Say what you will about Title IX but it is the law.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - ljmhurons - 04-08-2018 07:55 PM

(04-07-2018 08:30 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Did it come from Dean Rockwell? If so, EMU has a legitimate question how to handle those funds.

Dean made a donation to the wrestling program, but I don't know about the size.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Luckeyone - 04-08-2018 09:46 PM

(04-08-2018 07:55 PM)ljmhurons Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 08:30 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Dean made a donation to the wrestling program, but I don't know about the size.

I hope remaining funds go to Football and basketball .

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - EagleTough - 04-09-2018 09:04 AM

Bunsis is asking that those funds be added to his pension........it's only 'fair'.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - alum93 - 04-14-2018 06:30 PM

(04-07-2018 08:06 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I agree, if a donation was targeted for a stated specific program the University should return it if that program is discontinued. That's just good honest business. I made a targeted donation recently to the Champions Building program and if the University decides to abandon the project, I would certainly expect a refund.

While I regret deeply the discontinuation of the Men's wrestling and swimming programs, I feel that many are missing the Title IX implications of restoring those activities. If they come back then so do women's softball and tennis as well. In essence the costs of participating in the men's sports also include those of a women's sports or sport activity. To analyze the viability of an individual sport is far more complex than it seems. Say what you will about Title IX but it is the law.

I don't often post here although an alumni and season ticket holder for football and basketball. Today in an antique store in Wiliamston, MI I bought a blanket embroidered with the name Dean Rockwell, football and track. The logo is a large M with Eastern written within it. It also has a Huron logo with the two feathers pointing to the rear. Anyone know if I have an EMU heirloom, something mass produced or a fake? Either way its cool!

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Jerry Weaver - 04-14-2018 06:58 PM

(04-14-2018 06:30 PM)alum93 Wrote:  
(04-07-2018 08:06 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  I agree, if a donation was targeted for a stated specific program the University should return it if that program is discontinued. That's just good honest business. I made a targeted donation recently to the Champions Building program and if the University decides to abandon the project, I would certainly expect a refund.

I don't often post here although an alumni and season ticket holder for football and basketball. Today in an antique store in Wiliamston, MI I bought a blanket embroidered with the name Dean Rockwell, football and track. The logo is a large M with Eastern written within it. It also has a Huron logo with the two feathers pointing to the rear. Anyone know if I have an EMU heirloom, something mass produced or a fake? Either way its cool!

Antiquing is not my area of expertise but WOW what a find! I can honestly say I have never seen anything of the sort. Treasure it please.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - TheWoodenNickle - 04-15-2018 10:15 AM

(04-14-2018 06:30 PM)alum93 Wrote:  

That sounds like a great piece. Are you able to post a picture of it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Ken Barna - 05-01-2018 08:35 AM

Dear Friends,
I'm not sure where to put the latest article from the Free Press this morning, May 1, 2018. Very lengthy article about the protests over the dropping of sports. What caught my eye, was the statement that the protest groups have pledges of $300,000 to keep the sports alive, but as Athletic Director Wetherbee said, you would need an endowment of millions to keep the sports.
That is what the people who want to keep the cancelled sports don't understand. The hundreds of thousands of dollars raised for a one year continuance fo the sports, is just that. It would only keep them alive for one year without the endowment.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - FrankAnderson - 05-01-2018 08:50 AM

People also need to understand that you can't bring back only one sport. If you raise enough money for only wrestling, that isn't enough, because you need to bring back a women's sport to match the returning scholarships.

But that's not what David Jesse is going to write about. He's going to write anyway he can to vilify the EMU Board and President, because he decided he doesn't like them. He brings up issues about EMU athletics that have fallen off everyone's radar. Remember after our 2016 and the bowl game, in the middle of winter, he wrote an article raising the issue of EMU football and the HBO report again. Literally NO ONE else was talking about it. It had been a dead issue. So he wanted to insert it into the news again himself.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - masttg - 05-01-2018 08:58 AM

The article that Ken is referring to was not written by David Jesse, but Carlos Monarrez.

One point that is being made is that the sports need to be taken in context of the whole university. For example, the football team deserves credit for getting national exposure, TV time, MAC bowl revenue sharing, etc. For these olympic sports the amount of tuition generated needs to be discussed. When tuition revenue is credited then these sports do not need million-dollar endowments. This is exactly why D3 sports survive. To look at the case for EMU: http://sportsgeekonomics.tumblr.com/post/173192441908/eastern-michigan-aint-saving-money-by-cutting
In a nutshell, the EMU is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - EagleTough - 05-01-2018 09:46 AM

05-deadhorse

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - emu steve - 05-01-2018 09:58 AM

(05-01-2018 08:58 AM)masttg Wrote:  The article that Ken is referring to was not written by David Jesse, but Carlos Monarrez.

One point that is being made is that the sports need to be taken in context of the whole university. For example, the football team deserves credit for getting national exposure, TV time, MAC bowl revenue sharing, etc. For these olympic sports the amount of tuition generated needs to be discussed. When tuition revenue is credited then these sports do not need million-dollar endowments. This is exactly why D3 sports survive. To look at the case for EMU: http://sportsgeekonomics.tumblr.com/post/173192441908/eastern-michigan-aint-saving-money-by-cutting
In a nutshell, the EMU is cutting off its nose to spite its face.

All I know about Carlos is that Lions' fans wanted to run him out of town Tuesday night.

I know little about him, but what I know is very negative (how he gave the Lions a "F" for drafting Frank Ragnow, C, Arkansas with their first pick. Most now realize that it was a solid pick, he was ranked #19 by Mike Mayock and went #20 to the Lions).

Guys, guys, guys, get off this David Jesse business. He writes about high education.
Many higher education stories these days ACROSS the nation are negative. Howard U. students occupied the admin building and faculty voted no confidence. Today's Washington Post story is Catholic U. cutting faculty 9%.

Except for the rich private and 'flagship' universities, many colleges and universities are living under tight budgets.

THIS IS NOT UNIQUE TO EMU OR THE MAC.

And it is a widespread issue in high schools in many states.

Please try not to blame the messenger. I can read these stories in the Detroit papers or the Washington Post.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - emu steve - 05-01-2018 10:04 AM

After what seems like a zillion posts we are still back to a few basic points:

1). EMU, and many other similar schools, have tight budgets because of declining enrollment (some blame the states for cutting back funding thereby making tuition more expensive).

2). EMU had 21 sports which is like my dad used to say, "some people try to s*it bigger than their hole." We can not support 21 sports.

3). With Title IX, EMU needed to cut some even number of sports (2 or 4). Folks are going to be unhappy one way or another.

4). Which MEN'S sports do our wrestling supporters wanted us to cut? There are really 7 men's sports (T&F and X-country are really companion sports). NO one would (or in some cases 'could') cut FB, MBB, baseball, T&F/X-cross country). That leaves 2 of the following 3: Golf, S&D, and wrestling.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Luckeyone - 05-01-2018 10:17 AM

(05-01-2018 10:04 AM)emu steve Wrote:  After what seems like a zillion posts we are still back to a few basic points:

1). EMU, and many other similar schools, have tight budgets because of declining enrollment (some blame the states for cutting back funding thereby making tuition more expensive).

2). EMU had 21 sports which is like my dad used to say, "some people try to s*it bigger than their hole." We can not support 21 sports.

3). With Title IX, EMU needed to cut some even number of sports (2 or 4). Folks are going to be unhappy one way or another.

4). Which MEN'S sports do our wrestling supporters wanted us to cut? There are really 7 men's sports (T&F and X-country are really companion sports). NO one would (or in some cases 'could') cut FB, MBB, baseball, T&F/X-cross country). That leaves 2 of the following 3: Golf, S&D, and wrestling.

Who cares about what sports wrestlers would rather cut.

Decision made - case closed - move on to discuss sports that we have especially football and basketball.

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Jerry Weaver - 05-01-2018 11:07 AM

Straight from Wetherbee:

Mens Swim and Dive Athletic scholarship costs: $344,124
Mens Swim and Dive Academic scholarships: 327,391

RE: Wrestling Program Endowment? - Ken Barna - 05-01-2018 03:38 PM

Dear masttg,
Mr. Schwarz, in my opinion, is making many assumptions that do not necessarily make any sense. He continually says; "In my opinion, with the assumption, I don't know for sure, if we look at, etc." EagleTough is correct. Some of us are beating a dead horse. I only brought up the Free Press article to show how Eastern is getting hammered, for the same policies our sister institutions also hold. They spend about the same amount of money from their general fund as Eastern, and have four fewer sports.
I guess I never should have mentioned the article.