CSNbbs
The neighbors are talking expansion - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: The neighbors are talking expansion (/thread-846220.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The neighbors are talking expansion - Usajags - 03-20-2018 12:31 PM

On the CUSA sight, is was snooping, they are talking about rumors of the MWC going to 16 teams, including NMSU(good for you guys) and UTEP. They are also talking about back filling and who they take or is it a complete merger of SBC and CUSA.

If the MWC expands, we should push for USM and Marshall. Put the nail in the coffin that is CUSA.

In a quick look, they are wanting TxSt for the UTEP replacement, for both of them I think that would be a good thing. That is the only school I hope would entertain the idea of going over to CUSA. Maybe if TxSt goes, we just grab USM, make the swap.

Let the realignment fun begin!!! 04-cheers

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - TrueBlueDrew - 03-20-2018 12:37 PM

(03-20-2018 12:31 PM)Usajags Wrote:  On the CUSA sight, is was snooping, they are talking about rumors of the MWC going to 16 teams, including NMSU(good for you guys) and UTEP. They are also talking about back filling and who they take or is it a complete merger of SBC and CUSA.

If the MWC expands, we should push for USM and Marshall. Put the nail in the coffin that is CUSA.

In a quick look, they are wanting TxSt for the UTEP replacement, for both of them I think that would be a good thing. That is the only school I hope would entertain the idea of going over to CUSA. Maybe if TxSt goes, we just grab USM, make the swap.

Let the realignment fun begin!!! 04-cheers

While realignment threads are fun, I really think this is much ado about nothing. Even if the MWC took UTEP, I don't see why CUSA wouldn't just stay at 13 teams. I figure having one less mouth to feed and no more traveling to El Paso would make all the teams in CUSA happier. There's really no need to add anyone unless they are just hellbent on having an even 14.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - CardinalBlackTrojan - 03-20-2018 12:45 PM

(03-20-2018 12:37 PM)TrueBlueDrew Wrote:  While realignment threads are fun, I really think this is much ado about nothing. Even if the MWC took UTEP, I don't see why CUSA wouldn't just stay at 13 teams. I figure having one less mouth to feed and no more traveling to El Paso would make all the teams in CUSA happier. There's really no need to add anyone unless they are just hellbent on having an even 14.

I'm thinking along those same lines.

CUSA's eastern AD's already dislike having to go travel that far out West. They also are struggling with revenue distribution ever since their original TV deal was shot.

CUSA will most likely not expand if UTEP leaves. UTEP leaving shrinks their geographic footprint by about 600 miles, and puts a little more money in every other school's pocket.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - EigenEagle - 03-20-2018 12:54 PM

Won't happen.

Colorado State, Boise, Air Force, and San Diego State are basically the only reason that conference's TV contract is worth more than the Sun Belt's and CUSA's. Those schools aren't going to vote to bring in more members from CUSA to share that money with.

A 16-team G5 conference is a bat-poop insane idea.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - arkstfan - 03-20-2018 01:09 PM

Only way UTEP to MWC makes sense is if BYU returns.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - airtroop - 03-20-2018 01:27 PM

(03-20-2018 01:09 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  Only way UTEP to MWC makes sense is if BYU returns.

And even then, you'd think NMSU would also be in the conversation and may be even preferable to UTEP with both strong hoops and football...if they can just get New Mexico to play nice that is.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Tom in Lazybrook - 03-20-2018 02:04 PM

They can talk all they want.

How bad did CUSA botch realignment?

Here's how bad

Last year, TEN CUSA teams were bowl eligible and they got a team in the Round of 32 in the NCAA tournament. Both better results than the Sun Belt. And its CUSA, not the Belt, that is looking for a fix.

Can you imagine the meltdown if the Sun Belt actually has a better season in football and basketball?

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Oldyeller - 03-20-2018 03:07 PM

GS should jump immediately! Somehow the dbags on the CUSA board forced Saint to eat a nasty and defend GS. If I knew how I’d grab the comment and make it my signature. Reminds me of a guy lobbing disrespect at my high school rival. That’s normally welcomed but he was from Atlanta a long way from Valdosta. If we hadn’t been attending a church function he may have been met with more than profanity. Had to gather myself and brush off the dirty. [/align]

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - CardinalBlackTrojan - 03-20-2018 03:35 PM

(03-20-2018 02:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  They can talk all they want.

Here's how bad

Last year, TEN CUSA teams were bowl eligible and they got a team in the Round of 32 in the NCAA tournament. Both better results than the Sun Belt. And its CUSA, not the Belt, that is looking for a fix.

Can you imagine the meltdown if the Sun Belt actually has a better season in football and basketball?

You sound like a CUSA apologist.

Sun Belt finished better than CUSA in football and basketball in the last athletic year. It will likely always fluctuate every year as to which conference finishes better in certain sports. That's been the trend ever since the last round of realignment.

Of course CUSA is going to have more bowl eligible teams... they have 14 football teams compared to 10 in the Sun Belt. I would hope that they would get more teams in bowls than us. Likewise, I'm glad we don't have bowls that force us to travel to Hawaii or the Bahamas, which many of their fans already complain about.

CUSA IS looking for the fix. They have some of the longest travel among G5 conferences, they just got dealt a crap TV deal, the eastern school AD's want a more eastern-centric conference instead of what they perceive to be a Texas-favored conference.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - CAJUNNATION - 03-20-2018 03:42 PM

(03-20-2018 03:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  ...CUSA IS looking for the fix. They have some of the longest travel among G5 conferences, they just got dealt a crap TV deal, the eastern school AD's want a more eastern-centric conference instead of what they perceive to be a Texas-favored conference.

And if CUSA East forces an "add an eastern team or nobody" ultimatum, that may be the last straw for the CUSA West schools to leave and make a new league.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Georgia_Power_Company - 03-20-2018 04:20 PM

(03-20-2018 03:42 PM)CAJUNNATION Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 03:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  ...CUSA IS looking for the fix. They have some of the longest travel among G5 conferences, they just got dealt a crap TV deal, the eastern school AD's want a more eastern-centric conference instead of what they perceive to be a Texas-favored conference.

And if CUSA East forces an "add an eastern team or nobody" ultimatum, that may be the last straw for the CUSA West schools to leave and make a new league.

CUSA in it's current form is very unwieldy and it seems to me it's only a matter of time before they are headed to splitsville.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - balanced_view - 03-20-2018 05:04 PM

was all those Texas teams in the conference when the newest eastern teams joined?

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Michael in Raleigh - 03-20-2018 05:30 PM

(03-20-2018 05:04 PM)balanced_view Wrote:  was all those Texas teams in the conference when the newest eastern teams joined?

I don't remember the exact years each team moved, but the only schools who were in C-USA in 2012 and are still there are Texas schools UTEP and Rice, plus Southern Miss, Marshall, and UAB.

All seven teams who left C-USA earlier this decade (Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, and ECU) joined what wound up being the AAC.

UTSA and North Texas were scheduled to be in (or were already in) C-USA for only some of the eastern teams who joined.

I do remember ODU and Charlotte joined fully expecting ECU to be in the league only to watch ECU leave.

Anyway, I don't blame most schools for being frustrated. The Catholic 7 were in the old Big East becase they liked being with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and others. When they all left and saw who would replace them (and the poor contract they'd have gotten), they turned to split the league in a way they wanted. Time will tell if C-USA schools (and/or SBC schools) will make a similar choice.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Oldyeller - 03-20-2018 06:16 PM

(03-20-2018 05:30 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 05:04 PM)balanced_view Wrote:  was all those Texas teams in the conference when the newest eastern teams joined?

I don't remember the exact years each team moved, but the only schools who were in C-USA in 2012 and are still there are Texas schools UTEP and Rice, plus Southern Miss, Marshall, and UAB.

All seven teams who left C-USA earlier this decade (Tulsa, Houston, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, UCF, and ECU) joined what wound up being the AAC.

UTSA and North Texas were scheduled to be in (or were already in) C-USA for only some of the eastern teams who joined.

I do remember ODU and Charlotte joined fully expecting ECU to be in the league only to watch ECU leave.

Anyway, I don't blame most schools for being frustrated. The Catholic 7 were in the old Big East becase they liked being with Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, and others. When they all left and saw who would replace them (and the poor contract they'd have gotten), they turned to split the league in a way they wanted. Time will tell if C-USA schools (and/or SBC schools) will make a similar choice.

Noticeably frustrated. Throwing conference mates under the bus seems to be the norm over there. Too many programs with little to identify with. Am I reaching or does anyone else notice. We're on track in the current arrangement with parity in the Sun Belt. Some a little more at the top than others but there's hope for the rest that quick change is just around the corner. Personally I think it would inhale vigorously if Texas state leaves. They need to stay put and enjoy building rivalries within the Sun Belt. The ship will turn soon enough. Stay the course and forget these dbags.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Saint3333 - 03-20-2018 06:31 PM

(03-20-2018 03:07 PM)Oldyeller Wrote:  GS should jump immediately! Somehow the dbags on the CUSA board forced Saint to eat a nasty and defend GS. If I knew how I’d grab the comment and make it my signature. Reminds me of a guy lobbing disrespect at my high school rival. That’s normally welcomed but he was from Atlanta a long way from Valdosta. If we hadn’t been attending a church function he may have been met with more than profanity. Had to gather myself and brush off the dirty. [/align]

I love you guys.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Bobcat87 - 03-20-2018 06:36 PM

According to Wikipedia, The current CUSA Line Up and when they joined:

UAB 1995
FAU 2013
FIU 2013
La Techsters 2013
We are Marshall 2005
Middle Tenn 2013
UNCC 2013
UNT 2013
ODU 2013
Rice 2005
Southern Miss 1995
UTEP 2005
UTSA 2013
WKU 2014

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - arkstfan - 03-20-2018 08:03 PM

(03-20-2018 06:36 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  

According to Wikipedia, The current CUSA Line Up and when they joined:

UAB 1995
FAU 2013
FIU 2013
La Techsters 2013
We are Marshall 2005
Middle Tenn 2013
UNCC 2013
UNT 2013
ODU 2013
Rice 2005
Southern Miss 1995
UTEP 2005
UTSA 2013
WKU 2014
Round one of CUSA 3.0 was:
FIU, ODU, La.Tech, UNT, UTSA, Charlotte.

Then ECU and Tulane jump so round two
FAU and MTSU

Then Tulsa jumped and round three was WKU

The only schools in CUSA today who had input on the UTSA/UNT addition were UAB, USM, Marshall, UTEP, and Rice. UTEP was brought in to replace TCU's slot.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - 97App - 03-21-2018 08:44 AM

(03-20-2018 05:30 PM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  

The schools may have known or had a good idea as to who their conference mates would be, however, what changed was the cost vs benefit of the conference alignment. The original thought was that the addition of media markets alone would maintain or possibly increase their TV/media rights money. The climate at the time had only seen media rights increase each contract renewal. Things changed and now they are caught with the same costs yet significantly lower benefit.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - Tom in Lazybrook - 03-21-2018 10:06 AM

(03-20-2018 03:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Here's how bad

Sun Belt finished better than CUSA in football and basketball in the last athletic year. It will likely always fluctuate every year as to which conference finishes better in certain sports. That's been the trend ever since the last round of realignment.

Of course CUSA is going to have more bowl eligible teams... they have 14 football teams compared to 10 in the Sun Belt. I would hope that they would get more teams in bowls than us. Likewise, I'm glad we don't have bowls that force us to travel to Hawaii or the Bahamas, which many of their fans already complain about.

CUSA IS looking for the fix. They have some of the longest travel among G5 conferences, they just got dealt a crap TV deal, the eastern school AD's want a more eastern-centric conference instead of what they perceive to be a Texas-favored conference.

I'm not an apologist for CUSA. Just pointing out that even when they could be crowing, they aren't anymore. Conferences like to brag and make puffed up claims (see AAC and P6 for example). CUSA has been very quiet. They know that they're the unstable one now. Even when they could show some data points (yes, it was only one season - but it hasn't stopped them before), they're not using terms like 'separation'. And no one else is either.

Even they understand that parity is here. MAC=CUSA=SBC. For those of us who suffered through the bad years, its interesting. Lets work on moving beyond them.

RE: The neighbors are talking expansion - arkstfan - 03-21-2018 11:24 AM

(03-21-2018 10:06 AM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(03-20-2018 03:35 PM)CardinalBlackTrojan Wrote:  

Here's how bad

I'm not an apologist for CUSA. Just pointing out that even when they could be crowing, they aren't anymore. Conferences like to brag and make puffed up claims (see AAC and P6 for example). CUSA has been very quiet. They know that they're the unstable one now. Even when they could show some data points (yes, it was only one season - but it hasn't stopped them before), they're not using terms like 'separation'. And no one else is either.

Even they understand that parity is here. MAC=CUSA=SBC. For those of us who suffered through the bad years, its interesting. Lets work on moving beyond them.

It's like Ralphie discovering Annie's secret message is a crummy commercial.

They don't like CUSA 3.0 because they wanted it to be CUSA 1.x or 2.x

Sun Belt 4.x is an improvement.

It's like two people ending up with a top of the line Camry. One person thought they were being given a Kia Soul and discovered it was a Camry. The other thought he was getting a Range Rover and discovered a Camry.