CSNbbs
Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: AACbbs (/forum-460.html)
+---- Forum: Members (/forum-401.html)
+----- Forum: UAB (/forum-448.html)
+------ Forum: UAB Blazers (/forum-384.html)
+------- Forum: The Gene Bartow Memorial Forum (/forum-388.html)
+------- Thread: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? (/thread-846101.html)

Pages: 1 2

Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - BlazerPhil - 03-19-2018 11:08 AM

Penny Hardaway was just announced at HC of the Tigers.

I like Hardaway and what I've seen of him on TV. He seems to be very personable and have his heart in the game. I think if he keeps the right people around him and keeps Memphis clean-ish, He's going to do well.

But then I thought Clyde would do OK at Houston too.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - iam4uab - 03-19-2018 11:17 AM

Has our recruiting class imploded yet?

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - BlazerMatt - 03-19-2018 11:27 AM

There have been former NBA players who have been good college head coaches, but in every case I can think of, they have paid their dues learning the college game as an assistant first.

You mentioned Drexler, and he was obviously a disaster coaching at Houston, but there are more recent examples, Chris Mullin at St. Johns, Mark price only had one year as a college assistant, and that was years before he got his first head coaching job at the college level at Charlotte.

To make that transition, you have to be able to recruit and you have to be able to motivate your players to get the most out of their natural ability. Both can be hard for NBA guys who don't feel as if they need to sell themselves to 17 year old kids and who can't understand why someone doesnt have the drive and work ethic that came naturally to them when they were that age.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 11:35 AM

I'm not sure how clean he will be. He has been pretty manipulative behind the scenes in pushing Tubby out and taking his job. Some have hinted that the reason Tubby's recruiting has been a bad is because Penny has been keeping players from signing with him. It was also believed that it was Penny's people who leaked the information right before the conference tournament that Memphis was considering dumping Tubby for Penny, the worst possible timing. Pretty crappy move in my opinion.

Keep in mind that Penny was responsible for getting an NBA coach fired when he was at Orlando.

Penny has coached a lot of the same kids since middle school. He took over coaching middle school when a friend of his got sick. He then got a high school job and started AAU team. He has been a great father figure to those kids and is now following them to college. Memphis will be loaded for the next couple of years and the city is on fire with excitement. The most excitement since Calipari was hired.

The question remains is how he does after the first couple of years. Does he follow his kids to the NBA? Will he be able to meet the Tiger fans extremely unrealistic expectations? Will the administration put a focus back on basketball and away from football? No one here is asking these questions right now.

And no. I'm not concerned about Boyce. In all the talk about players he will bring or get to renege on their commitments, I have seen no mention of Boyce outside paranoid Blazer fans or so called Blazer fans trying to stir of crap.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 11:41 AM

The best part of this hire is that Penny will probably steal James Wiseman the #1 2019 pick away from Calipari.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - WesternBlazer - 03-19-2018 11:47 AM

(03-19-2018 11:41 AM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  The best part of this hire is that Penny will probably steal James Won semantics, the #1 2019 pick away from Calipari.

"Wiseman"?

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 11:51 AM

Yes, autocorrect is drunk.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - BlazerPhil - 03-19-2018 11:58 AM

There is also rumors out there that the Lawson boys will transfer back to Tiger High from Kansas, but I don't know if anyone has really thought that through.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - blazers9911 - 03-19-2018 12:08 PM

I think he has the chance to be very successful early on, especially if he hires some good, veteran assistants. As MB stated, i do wonder what will happen when this group passes through and it’s time to truly recruit. If he has success early though, that should make life easier. The hire at least makes Memphis somewhat relevant going into next year, which would not have been the case with Tubby.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 12:15 PM

(03-19-2018 12:08 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I think he has the chance to be very successful early on, especially if he hires some good, veteran assistants. As MB stated, i do wonder what will happen when this group passes through and it’s time to truly recruit. If he has success early though, that should make life easier. The hire at least makes Memphis somewhat relevant going into next year, which would not have been the case with Tubby.

One of the veteran coaches being rumored is Tony Barbee. 03-lmfao

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 12:18 PM

(03-19-2018 11:58 AM)BlazerPhil Wrote:  There is also rumors out there that the Lawson boys will transfer back to Tiger High from Kansas, but I don't know if anyone has really thought that through.

I think that is just dreaming from delirious fans. I do think he will land the two younger Lawson's, one of which is supposed to be the Lawson of all. The two younger, Chandler and Jonathan play for Penny on his high school team.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - BlazerFromMD - 03-19-2018 01:54 PM

They don't have a dad like Lonzo Ball's, do they?

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - blazers9911 - 03-19-2018 02:08 PM

(03-19-2018 12:15 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 12:08 PM)blazers9911 Wrote:  I think he has the chance to be very successful early on, especially if he hires some good, veteran assistants. As MB stated, i do wonder what will happen when this group passes through and it’s time to truly recruit. If he has success early though, that should make life easier. The hire at least makes Memphis somewhat relevant going into next year, which would not have been the case with Tubby.

One of the veteran coaches being rumored is Tony Barbee. 03-lmfao

Haha, they are all set then.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 02:28 PM

(03-19-2018 01:54 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  They don't have a dad like Lonzo Ball's, do they?

Why yes they do.
One Keelon Lawson. Former UAB signee, who back in the 80's came to play at UAB but quit the team before the season started because "he had a falling out with Gene Bartow". That tells you everything you need to know about him.

Josh Pastner gave Lawson a job as assistant coach in order to get the two oldest Lawson's. when he left and Tubby came in, Tubby did not retain him as assistant coach because he had his own staff. Lawson promptly pulled both sons off of Tubby's team and sent him to Kansas, promising that none of his other two sons would ever sign with Tubby Smith.

Smith is old school and perhaps the first time since Gene Bartow at Memphis, the school played by the rules. It appears Lawson and Penny have been sabotaging his recruiting efforts. Lawson will almost 100% deliver his chattel to Memphis, unless of course he can get a better deal somewhere else.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - UAB Band Dad - 03-19-2018 07:03 PM

I figure that Memphis will get better for a couple of years, it would be hard to be worse and if nothing else Penny's hiring will sell tickets. The question is how good his assistants are, can Penny not get busted for all sorts of recruiting violations, and will he stay good after his high school kids.

Not my circus, not my monkeys. The MT fans will be crazed till next season, though.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - Memphis Blazer - 03-19-2018 07:48 PM

Actually Memphis exceeded all reasonable expectations this year, emphasis on reasonable . They were picked to finish ninth and they finished fifth. The only reason a coaching change was made was attendance and fan support. They dipped below a contractual average attendance and forfeited a huge check from the Grizzlies.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - cotton1991 - 03-19-2018 08:30 PM

(03-19-2018 02:28 PM)Memphis Blazer Wrote:  
(03-19-2018 01:54 PM)BlazerFromMD Wrote:  They don't have a dad like Lonzo Ball's, do they?

Why yes they do.
One Keelon Lawson. Former UAB signee, who back in the 80's came to play at UAB but quit the team before the season started because "he had a falling out with Gene Bartow". That tells you everything you need to know about him.

Josh Pastner gave Lawson a job as assistant coach in order to get the two oldest Lawson's. when he left and Tubby came in, Tubby did not retain him as assistant coach because he had his own staff. Lawson promptly pulled both sons off of Tubby's team and sent him to Kansas, promising that none of his other two sons would ever sign with Tubby Smith.

Smith is old school and perhaps the first time since Gene Bartow at Memphis, the school played by the rules. It appears Lawson and Penny have been sabotaging his recruiting efforts. Lawson will almost 100% deliver his chattel to Memphis, unless of course he can get a better deal somewhere else.

Tubby replaced Lawson with his own son, Saul, who has followed his dad from Minnesota to Texas Tech to Memphis and literally contributed nothing. Running Lawson off for no reason other than giving his son a cushy job didn't sit well with fans. And it wasn't just the Lawson kids leaving, 6 scholarship players left after Tubby's first year. For 2019--when all the jucos graduate--he had literally no one coming in for a complete rebuilding year.

Penny interfering with Tubby--those are allegations from Tubby's agent. Take it for what you will, but there has been no other source or corroboration.

As far as being clean goes, are you saying that Pastner wasn't clean?

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - UABslant - 03-20-2018 08:31 AM

He'll be able to recruit, that's for sure.

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - ATTALLABLAZE - 03-20-2018 08:40 AM

Oh yea, he can recruit $$$$$

RE: Penny Hardaway is Memphis' New HC - Opinion's ? - randy22263 - 03-20-2018 01:45 PM

Deserved Oscar consideration for his role in Blue Chips.