CSNbbs
Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? (/thread-838840.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - EigenEagle - 01-01-2018 11:19 AM

Over on the CUSA board they've got a thread calling for FAU to be ranked, so why not a thread for Troy?

1. Troy has fewer losses than FAU.
2. Troy has a win over a ranked SEC West team that can and more likely than not will reach double-digit wins with a win over ND today.
3. They whooped the second-best CUSA team.
4. Memphis and USF are ranked and their only P5 wins are over 6-win teams. And they aren't that much better than the rest of the G5 as shown by their 2-10 record.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - USAJag2011 - 01-01-2018 11:29 AM

I think they’ve earned it this year.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - TroyFootball05 - 01-01-2018 11:40 AM

We also beat a MAC divisional champ. Two champs and a Top level SEC team. Also beat the defending SBC champs with 5 of the last 7 titles. Down by only 4 to a ranked Boise in Idaho with 2 minutes left.

Close games vs teams that voters don't like (Akron, NMSU, and Idaho) won't help us. The loss to USA dooms us. Kiffin is a household name and Memphis has been there before. Not looking good for Troy.

I think we're good, somewhere in the 20 to 40 range. Won't be surprised if we're left out. I would be more surprised if we actually got in.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - Atlanta Trojan - 01-01-2018 11:42 AM

If Troy isn’t ranked FAU def shouldn’t be ranked.

They have no signature win like we do, and they have that loss to Buffalo which is our equivalent to south maybe even worse

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - EigenEagle - 01-01-2018 11:44 AM

(01-01-2018 11:40 AM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  We also beat a MAC divisional champ. Two champs and a Top level SEC team. Also beat the defending SBC champs with 5 of the last 7 titles. Down by only 4 to a ranked Boise in Idaho with 2 minutes left.

Close games vs teams that voters don't like (Akron, NMSU, and Idaho) won't help us. The loss to USA dooms us. Kiffin is a household name and Memphis has been there before. Not looking good for Troy.

I think we're good, somewhere in the 20 to 40 range. Won't be surprised if we're left out. I would be more surprised if we actually got in.

Sorry, but it would be ridiculous to rank FAU and not Troy.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - Atlanta Trojan - 01-01-2018 11:46 AM

It’s gonna be close tho... Memphis lost and a few others in the 20s lost. We might be in the 25-29 range

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - OsageJ - 01-01-2018 12:01 PM

I would like to see a SBC team ranked at the end of the year. You have best resume so here's hoping. Troy deserves it.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - BurlingtonApp - 01-01-2018 12:06 PM

Troy undeniably has a better resume than FAU. Unfortunately, they don't have the Lane hype train, nor did they run up the score on their overmatched bowl opponent, so I don't think they get in.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 12:59 PM

(01-01-2018 11:42 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  If Troy isn’t ranked FAU def shouldn’t be ranked.

They have no signature win like we do, and they have that loss to Buffalo which is our equivalent to south maybe even worse

Massey's composite has South Alabama ranked #116 (in the bottom 15), while Buffalo is ranked #88. Buffalo is ranked higher than 9 Sun Belt teams and 9 CUSA teams. And we lost to Buffalo by 3, whereas Troy lost to South Alabama by 11. I'm not sure how our loss could be seen as worse than yours...

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 12:59 PM

(01-01-2018 12:06 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  Troy undeniably has a better resume than FAU. Unfortunately, they don't have the Lane hype train, nor did they run up the score on their overmatched bowl opponent, so I don't think they get in.

Massey has Troy's SoS ranked #118 and Florida Atlantic's ranked #88. I'm not sure 6 wins (and 1 loss) over bottom 30 ranked Sun Belt teams will do you favors. (Florida Atlantic has only 2 wins over bottom 30 ranked CUSA teams.)

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - EigenEagle - 01-01-2018 01:20 PM

Honestly, does it really matter that the fifth-best conference opponent is ranked 95th or 105th? At the top Conference USA is not really better (as evidenced by Troy convincly beating the second-best CUSA team).

If Troy played FAU's conference schedule they would've won every game FAU did.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - Atlanta Trojan - 01-01-2018 01:23 PM

(01-01-2018 12:59 PM)thefaU Wrote:  
(01-01-2018 11:42 AM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  If Troy isn’t ranked FAU def shouldn’t be ranked.

Massey's composite has South Alabama ranked #116 (in the bottom 15), while Buffalo is ranked #88. Buffalo is ranked higher than 9 Sun Belt teams and 9 CUSA teams. And we lost to Buffalo by 3, whereas Troy lost to South Alabama by 11. I'm not sure how our loss could be seen as worse than yours...

It’s basically the same.

Our game is also a rivalry game and anything goes there, records out the window

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 01:25 PM

(01-01-2018 01:23 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  It’s basically the same.

The statistics say otherwise.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - Atlanta Trojan - 01-01-2018 01:27 PM

Having been ranked before could help us too.

FAU has never been ranked Lane Kiffin or not

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 01:28 PM

(01-01-2018 01:20 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  Honestly, does it really matter that the fifth-best conference opponent is ranked 95th or 105th? At the top Conference USA is not really better (as evidenced by Troy convincly beating the second-best CUSA team).

If Troy played FAU's conference schedule they would've won every game FAU did.

I was just responding to BurlingtonApp's comment that "Troy undeniably has a better resume than FAU." I don't doubt Troy could've won.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 01:30 PM

(01-01-2018 01:27 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  Having been ranked before could help us too.

FAU has never been ranked Lane Kiffin or not

That's true. What could help us, though, is receiving more votes in the last AP Top 25 and Coaches' Poll.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - Atlanta Trojan - 01-01-2018 01:30 PM

(01-01-2018 01:25 PM)thefaU Wrote:  
(01-01-2018 01:23 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  It’s basically the same.

The statistics say otherwise.

You were also blown out by unranked Navy and a ranked Wisconsin

Our only other loss was to a ranked Boise who we were 1 score down late in the 4th

Troy obviously has the better resume.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 01:48 PM

(01-01-2018 01:30 PM)Atlanta Trojan Wrote:  You were also blown out by unranked Navy and a ranked Wisconsin

Our only other loss was to a ranked Boise who we were 1 score down late in the 4th

Troy obviously has the better resume.

But a loss to #53 Navy and #88 Buffalo (both of whom were bowl-eligible) are not as bad as a loss to #116 South Alabama.

Besides the win over LSU, Troy's best win is #66 North Texas (who we beat by a larger margin twice), #79 Arkansas State, and #86 Akron (who we beat by a larger margin). All of your other wins are over those ranked in the bottom 30 (and many of those wins are by fewer than a touchdown).

While we may not have a signature win, Florida Atlantic obviously has the overall better resume.

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - GreatAppSt - 01-01-2018 01:53 PM

05-bump

RE: Should Troy be ranked in the final AP poll? - thefaU - 01-01-2018 02:00 PM

AP Top 25 - Week 15
Florida Atlantic received 8 votes
Troy received 1 vote

Coaches' Poll - Week 15
Florida Atlantic received 24 votes
Troy received 11 votes

S&P+ Ratings
Florida Atlantic ranked #12
Troy ranked #37

Massey's Composite