CSNbbs
2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread (/thread-833696.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-15-2017 09:52 PM

Coming off an 81-37 exhibition win over D-III Greensboro College and a 73-64 win over UNC Pembroke on Sunday, the Seahawk Women won an exciting and impressive game over ECU, 66-62 at Trask tonight.

ECU pressed nearly the whole game, and did give the Hawks problems with it. They also had some very good outside shooting. But UNCW had leads of 11 at the half and 10 entering the 4th quarter, and in scrappy, fashion, held on to the victory. This is a game we surely would have lost in the past; we lost to the Pirates 75-65 last year in Greenville.

What was particularly impressive about tonight's win was that the Seahawks survived despite a quiet night from Senior shooting guard Madison Raque (4 points, 1-8 shooting). We made up for it with impressive efforts from Sophomore point guard Moriah Crisp (17 points, 6 assists, 3 steals), Sophomore guard Lacey Suggs off the bench (20 points on 6-7 shooting, 8 rebounds), and RS Senior forward Jenny DeGraaf (13 points, 4-5 from three, 6 rebounds). Crisp and DeGraaf each played a gutty 40 minutes, seemingly willing the team to victory. And Suggs' stat-line would have been even more impressive if she hadn't gotten into foul trouble, limiting her to 26 minutes.

Coach Barefoot is impressing already with her scheme and energy from the sidelines. The 2-0 Hawks appear to be in very good hands.

Next up, the Seahawks hit the road to face Coastal Carolina on Saturday at 2 PM, followed by a date with UNC in Chapel Hill on Wednesday, November 22.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-22-2017 01:17 AM

The Women's team faces UNC (2-2) on the road tomorrow @ 2 PM. It will be just the 2nd meeting between UNCW and UNC all-time. The last game between the 2 squads was in 1998, when UNC won by an 88-43 margin.

The Lady Seahawks (2-1) look to bounce back after a 57-41 loss @ Coastal Carolina on Saturday. In fact, we've now lost 5 straight road games dating back to last season. Our most recent road win was on February 10th against Towson.

Senior shooting guard Madison Raque especially hopes to get back on track. In her last 2 games against ECU and Coastal, she's only made 1 shot in 20 attempts (.050 FG %).

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - EvanJ - 11-24-2017 09:58 AM

Raque made 5 out of 9 field goals including 4 out of 7 three-pointers, but UNCW was down 15 after one quarter and lost 86-60. How do you pronounce "Raque"?

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - AlexRileySN - 11-25-2017 12:00 PM

Rocky. I spent all of last year saying Rack and then was corrected finally.

(11-24-2017 09:58 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  Raque made 5 out of 9 field goals including 4 out of 7 three-pointers, but UNCW was down 15 after one quarter and lost 86-60. How do you pronounce "Raque"?

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-29-2017 10:08 PM

The Seahawks beat VCU (0-6) tonight, 83-67, to improve to 4-3. We're now 4-0 at Trask so far this season under Coach Barefoot.

The team looked good tonight. We had a lot of pretty finishes around the rim and attacked the offensive glass (12 OREB's, 15 second chance points).

Lacey Suggs led the way in scoring with 24 points (9-18). Madison Raque finished with 17 and had 6 rebounds and 3 steals, while Timber Tate added 16. Jenny DeGraaf (8 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 1 steal) would have had a bigger impact on the game had she not gotten called for a few ticky tack fouls, keeping her off the floor with foul trouble most of the way.

I was also impressed with freshman PG Grace Sacco, who started the game and played 14 of the 20 first half minutes and collected 6 assists. She looked like Ricky Rubio out there with some of her passes. Though, much like Rubio, she needs to work on her jumper (0 points, 0-2 shooting). She has plenty of time to do that, and confidence seems to be her biggest issue there.

Our usual starting PG, Moriah Crisp, played 26 minutes off the bench, most of them in the 2nd half. I think Coach Barefoot wanted to split the duties for the two PG's and see how they'd handle, essentially, one half each. Combine the efforts of the two PG's and they finished with 7 points, 11 assists and a steal in their 40 combined minutes on the court. Very solid.

The team is playing hard and has provided a lot of entertainment value so far in the young season. Already they're passing the "eye test" under Coach Barefoot in ways I never saw under the previous regime. There's a solid plan in place and the team is responding to her well.

The Seahawks stay home to face NC Central (1-3 vs. D-I) on Sunday @ 2 PM.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - B_Hawk06 - 11-30-2017 06:51 AM

I played ball with a guy the other night that goes to ODU. While Coach Barefoot was at ODU, he assisted as a member of their practice squad for the ODU women's team (and still does as a grad student). He saw my UNCW warmup jacket and struck up a conversation praising Coach Barefoot. Was a cool experience.

The best part, was he thought I was a grad student and asked if I'd be interested in practicing with them. Told the fella I'm 36, with a full time job and wish I had the time for such things. Plus, if I were ever to assist a team it would be UNCW. He chuckled and said, "fair enough".

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - SEA33HAWK - 11-30-2017 10:31 AM

Timber Tate finally broke loose with a solid all around game. She was overdue. We need her to play that way for this team to succeed.
Hard to believe VCU hasn't won a game. They tall and long down low and had a number of blocked shots. The Lady Seahawks battled through foul trouble and played hard, taking advantage of a number of VCU miscues.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 11-30-2017 11:31 AM

(11-30-2017 10:31 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Timber Tate finally broke loose with a solid all around game. She was overdue. We need her to play that way for this team to succeed.
Hard to believe VCU hasn't won a game. They tall and long down low and had a number of blocked shots. The Lady Seahawks battled through foul trouble and played hard, taking advantage of a number of VCU miscues.

VCU looked out of sorts very early in the game, like they were a D-II or D-III squad. But over the course of the game, they played us tough, and we didn't put them away until pretty late.

# 20 for them made something like her first 8 shots. She was impressive.

Agreed on Timber. She wasn't in there late in the contest despite not being in foul trouble (while just about everyone else was), which makes me think maybe she still has some work to do on the defensive end. But she's been one of my favorite players since she arrived on campus. She can knock down shots from everywhere. And I think if she uses shot fakes and attacks the rim a little more, she can draw a lot of fouls too.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - SEA33HAWK - 11-30-2017 01:47 PM

(11-30-2017 11:31 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(11-30-2017 10:31 AM)SEA33HAWK Wrote:  Timber Tate finally broke loose with a solid all around game. She was overdue. We need her to play that way for this team to succeed.

VCU looked out of sorts very early in the game, like they were a D-II or D-III squad. But over the course of the game, they played us tough, and we didn't put them away until pretty late.

# 20 for them made something like her first 8 shots. She was impressive.

Agreed on Timber. She wasn't in there late in the contest despite not being in foul trouble (while just about everyone else was), which makes me think maybe she still has some work to do on the defensive end. But she's been one of my favorite players since she arrived on campus. She can knock down shots from everywhere. And I think if she uses shot fakes and attacks the rim a little more, she can draw a lot of fouls too.

Funny thing is VCU was hitting everything in warmups. But when the game started, it was like they got super anxious. They threw up some ugly bricks early on. #20 seemed to get them settled and on track with her scoring. Can't believe they are 0-6.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawkhoops - 11-30-2017 04:05 PM

Timber Tate is a hell of a sports name

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - SEA33HAWK - 12-03-2017 08:34 PM

Lady Hawks defeat N C Central 89-63. It was a more exciting game than the score indicates. Timber Tate hits her first four 3 point attempts. And both teams were playing a physical style of game. Our ladies didn't back down.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - bricksnivy - 12-04-2017 09:25 AM

Our most impressive win is against ECU/VCU, but 5-3 seems like an improvement over years past. Disappointing loss to Coastal and weren't competitive against Carolina. How do we stack up in conference play?

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawkhoops - 12-04-2017 09:31 AM

(12-04-2017 09:25 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Our most impressive win is against ECU/VCU, but 5-3 seems like an improvement over years past. Disappointing loss to Coastal and weren't competitive against Carolina. How do we stack up in conference play?

I don't follow closely either, but it certainly feels like a big improvement(at least on the surface).

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - B_Hawk06 - 12-04-2017 09:37 AM

(12-04-2017 09:25 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Our most impressive win is against ECU/VCU, but 5-3 seems like an improvement over years past. Disappointing loss to Coastal and weren't competitive against Carolina. How do we stack up in conference play?

I have to agree, like others I've never followed the women's program closely, but having a winning record going into conference play sounds (albeit without a lot of knowledge here) like a better start than usual for sure.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 12-04-2017 11:54 AM

Well, we're 5-0 at home but 0-3 on the road. So of course we need to start winning away from Trask. But that will come.

We definitely look like a team capable of winning CAA games. We have more offensive firepower than I've seen in years. We've got solid distributors who can penetrate and dish (Crisp and Sacco), rangy shooters (Tate, Raque and DeGraaf) and slashers (Suggs especially). And our defensive intensity has been high and occasionally suffocating. Yesterday, we took three charges in one quarter, if I recall correctly.

3 of our next 4 are on the road, including the CAA opener against Elon, so we'll have a better idea where we stand when the calendar moves closer to January.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 12-06-2017 08:18 AM

Tate was named CAA Player-of-the-Week on Monday afternoon:

http://uncwsports.com/news/2017/12/4/womens-basketball-tate-named-caa-player-of-the-week.aspx

Tate Named CAA Player-of-the-Week

RICHMOND, Virginia – UNCW sophomore guard Timber Tate has been named Colonial Athletic Association Women's Basketball Player-of-the-Week for the week ending Dec. 3.

Tate, who earns the first Player-of-the-Week honor of her career, led the Seahawks to wins over VCU and N.C. Central by averaging 18.0 points per game. The Thomasville, N.C., product shot a blistering 63.2 percent from the field, including a 10-for-14 effort from three-point range, in the two victories.

In addition, the sharpshooting sophomore eclipsed her career single-game scoring high in both games. After scoring 16 points in the Seahawks' 83-67 win over VCU, Tate erupted for 20 points on 7-of-10 shooting from the field, including a 6-for-8 showing from long range, against NCCU.

"Timber had an outstanding week for us and has helped us get off to a great start by playing well on both ends of the floor," Coach Karen Barefoot said. "This is great recognition for Timber and our program and we look forward to what's ahead for our team."

A starter in all eight games, Tate is the Seahawks' fourth-leading scorer with a 9.9 average and has connected on 36.5 percent of her three-point field goal attempts.

UNCW, off to a 5-3 start, returns from its fall semester exam break on Saturday, Dec. 9, to face Pittsburgh at 1 p.m. in a non-conference road contest.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - tke75hawk - 12-09-2017 12:54 PM

Uncw game is on roku at 1:00 watchespn.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 12-11-2017 08:51 AM

Didn't get a chance to watch/follow this one but despite the 74-55 final against Pitt, there appeared to be some positives. Most notably, 6-0 forward and George Mason transfer Chinyere Bell saw her first action of the season and made the most of it. 15 points, 5 boards, and went 7-10 from the line in 20 minutes of action.

Bell did commit 4 turnovers though, part of the team's 18 total turnovers on the day. We also only had 7 assists as a team, and our low foul count (7 total team fouls) tells me needed to be a little more aggressive on the defensive end. When a team is scoring on the inside like Pitt was (32 of their 74 points were from within the paint), you need to "use your fouls" a bit and make them earn it at the line more often. No one on our squad ended up with more than 2 fouls, so no one on our roster really needed to be protected late in the game.

Next up is another road contest against Wofford on Saturday night. The Terriers are having a very similar season as us, numbers-wise. Both us and Wofford are 3-4 against D-I competition, with our RPI sitting at 248 and Wofford's 247. We also each have wins over a common opponent, NC Central.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 12-18-2017 09:49 PM

The Lady Hawks grabbed their first road win of the season on Saturday, a 65-60 victory @ Wofford.

Despite a game where we didn't move the ball effectively (9 assists) or protect the ball very well (18 turnovers), we gutted this one out. Lacey Suggs and Jenny DeGraaf each nearly has double-doubles, posting 15 points and 8 rebounds apiece. Chinyere Bell also had 15 points in the effort.

Where we won this game was at the free throw line. We were there 19 times compared to Wofford's 11, and shot at a better clip (73.7 %) than the Terriers did (63.6 %)

Chalk this up as another win we would NOT have gotten in season's past.

We've now won 3 of our last 4, improving to 4-4 vs. D-I competition with just one more non-conference game to go. We are # 200 in the RPI and will have plenty of opportunities to improve on that in CAA play. The league is ranked 10th in D-I based on RPI.

Next up: A very winnable home game against Georgia St. (1-6 vs D-I) on Thursday @ 1 PM.

RE: 2017-18 Women's Basketball Thread - B_Hawk06 - 12-19-2017 08:37 AM

(12-18-2017 09:49 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  The Lady Hawks grabbed their first road win of the season on Saturday, a 65-60 victory @ Wofford.

Despite a game where we didn't move the ball effectively (9 assists) or protect the ball very well (18 turnovers), we gutted this one out. Lacey Suggs and Jenny DeGraaf each nearly has double-doubles, posting 15 points and 8 rebounds apiece. Chinyere Bell also had 15 points in the effort.

Where we won this game was at the free throw line. We were there 19 times compared to Wofford's 11, and shot at a better clip (73.7 %) than the Terriers did (63.6 %)

Chalk this up as another win we would NOT have gotten in season's past.

We've now won 3 of our last 4, improving to 4-4 vs. D-I competition with just one more non-conference game to go. We are # 200 in the RPI and will have plenty of opportunities to improve on that in CAA play. The league is ranked 10th in D-I based on RPI.

Next up: A very winnable home game against Georgia St. (1-6 vs D-I) on Thursday @ 1 PM.

Great to have the Ladies playing so well now. New coach definitely has things going in the right direction.