CSNbbs
An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: Lounge (/forum-564.html)
+---- Forum: College Sports and Conference Realignment (/forum-637.html)
+---- Thread: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms (/thread-820296.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - solohawks - 09-11-2017 11:36 PM

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/streaming-sports-tv-espn-fox-cable-sling-hulu-directv-playstation/

Here is a quick sports channel guide showing the streaming platform they are on, the package required, and if authentication to the channels app is provided

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - indianasniff - 09-12-2017 08:29 PM

Did Apple announce anything related to programming innovations

Like regional sports channels

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - Hood-rich - 09-13-2017 03:22 PM

(07-12-2017 08:47 PM)rokamortis Wrote:  Suppose.tv just launched a comparison tool to help users find the best OTT deal based on their location and channel preferences.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/07/11/suppose-tv-launches-a-service-that-helps-cord-cutters-find-the-best-deal/

This is awesome. It's Hulu Live or Youtube TV for me. Now they need to hurry up and get it available for Roku (in the works).

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MWC Tex - 09-14-2017 01:33 PM

Updated first post to included CBS Sports Network for PSVUE. It is on their Core package $44.99/month.

Apparently, CBS SN is working with Direct TV Now to get on one of their packages.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - solohawks - 09-14-2017 03:41 PM

It will be the $60 package. Don't know why it's taking so long as they have already added CBS and CW affiliates

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - solohawks - 09-14-2017 03:43 PM

Hey MWC I would recommend adding the $60 tier to Directv Noe and PS vue $55 tier as both add a good amount of sports channels

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - TexanMark - 09-14-2017 05:09 PM

http://cordcuttersnews.com/playstation-vue-just-added-cbs-sports-network-1-channel/

Playstation Vue just added CBS Sports Network

Included with: Vue's Ultra, Elite, or Core packages.
Not available on (least expensive) Access package.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MWC Tex - 09-14-2017 08:27 PM

Post updated with new info and re formatted.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - solohawks - 09-22-2017 07:53 AM

CBS Sports Network now live on DirectvNow $60 package. Sling only one without it now

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - TexanMark - 09-22-2017 06:34 PM

Just signed up for YouTube TV trial...so far so good

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - DavidSt - 10-01-2017 04:50 AM

Pluto.TV is something new, and it is free. They do have Stadium and Big Sky Network on their channels. They also have TNA Wrestling, kick boxing, and other sports channels. They are still small and could grow. You could watch it on your laptop or regular computer besides phones and all that which have a much more advantage than the others.

http://pluto.tv/watch

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MWC Tex - 10-04-2017 09:59 PM

Ok....so according to Direct TV Now's website, CBSSN is on the $35 tier but not on the $50 tier. It is also on the $60 & $70 tier.

By the way, I'm switching to Direct TV Now from PS Vue since Vue raised the Access tier rate to $40 from $30. I could get by with Sling Blue but the wife and daughter need a couple of channels that Sling does offer.

Edit: Ok when you sign up, CBS SN doesn't show up on the $35 tier.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - mj4life - 10-05-2017 08:08 AM

(10-04-2017 09:59 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Ok....so according to Direct TV Now's website, CBSSN is on the $35 tier but not on the $50 tier. It is also on the $60 & $70 tier.

By the way, I'm switching to Direct TV Now from PS Vue since Vue raised the Access tier rate to $40 from $30. I could get by with Sling Blue but the wife and daughter need a couple of channels that Sling does offer.

Switched to Now from Vue a couple months ago because AT&T gave me a 30 day trial & upgraded my cell plan in the process. I do like the channel lineup up as well as the app's user interface which allows you to switch channels similar to regular tv or thru the TV Guide

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MplsBison - 10-05-2017 10:57 PM

So I recently learned that Charter Spectrum has a Roku app. Stay with me here.

It's the exact same thing as Vue, Sling, DTV Now 's apps ... you load one app that gives you a quasi/software cable box feel/interface. You have access to the channels that you pay for in your Spectrum subscription. So you don't technically even need a cable box. You can just use your Roku.

This is what everyone will do. DTV, DISH, Comcast, Charter, etc. At a minimum, they'll have it as an option. Probably some will go completely this route and do away with their entire box rental operation altogether.

So at that point ... there's no difference. You have a Roku, you pay $20, $35, $50 a month, whatever, and you get some amount of channels that you view through a Roku app. What's the difference if you pay the bill to Sling or to Comcast??

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - TerpsNPhoenix - 10-06-2017 05:00 AM

(10-05-2017 10:57 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  So I recently learned that Charter Spectrum has a Roku app. Stay with me here.

It's the exact same thing as Vue, Sling, DTV Now 's apps ... you load one app that gives you a quasi/software cable box feel/interface. You have access to the channels that you pay for in your Spectrum subscription. So you don't technically even need a cable box. You can just use your Roku.

This is what everyone will do. DTV, DISH, Comcast, Charter, etc. At a minimum, they'll have it as an option. Probably some will go completely this route and do away with their entire box rental operation altogether.

So at that point ... there's no difference. You have a Roku, you pay $20, $35, $50 a month, whatever, and you get some amount of channels that you view through a Roku app. What's the difference if you pay the bill to Sling or to Comcast??

If you bundle internet/tv and have a really good deal? Maybe none but l suspect that in many places OTT will be cheaper than cable. Also with OTT, you can cancel your subscription anytime you want with no penalty. Not an option with cable (that I'm aware of). You only want TV for 9 months a year for football/basketball/hockey or whatever? No problem. I'm not a baseball fan and there's nothing interesting for me in summer. Why pay for it?

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MplsBison - 10-06-2017 07:27 AM

Comcast is cancel anytime you want. You just bring your box in and that's that. Been like that for a while. Only one I know where it's contracts is satellite, which makes sense because they have to offer the install for free to get people hooked ... and then offset that big upfront cost.

But if it's all just Roku apps ... zero difference.

Not saying Sling, VUE, et al are going to get muscled out. Not at all. I'm just saying it's all going to be exactly the same.

You pay $35 to get 30 chains through VUE Roku app, I pay $35 to get 30 chans through Comcast Roku app. Same thing

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - dreamlander - 10-06-2017 07:55 AM

(10-06-2017 07:27 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Comcast is cancel anytime you want. You just bring your box in and that's that. Been like that for a while.

Baloney. I re-upped my Comcast internet last month. Here's the exact verbiage from Comcast: "$54.99 for 12 months, then regular rates apply. The pricing for XFINITY Blast! Internet Service is subject to the terms of your 12-month term agreement: $54.99 per month for 12 months. $110 Early Termination Fee for Internet applies."

Want to cancel your service? Just do it quickly and easily online! No wait, "We’re sorry, it looks like you'll need some help completing your order. Call us at 1-877-680-7173." Gotta love the inevitable sales pitch from Comcast "customer service."

I'm waiting patiently for the new fiber optic ISP in town to install their equipment in my neighborhood. $50 a month for unlimited devices on my network, 150 mbps speed and no data cap.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - TexanMark - 10-06-2017 11:17 AM

Ok...my Youtube TV report

I have a Sling Orange account for $25+tax for awhile now (about 2 years). It is a great low cost alternative for very small families. Works really well if you primarily watch sports on the ESPN family. Downside...only 1 device at a time...also you have to figure out how to get your locals separately.

I'm switching to Youtube TV now from Sling. Cost is $35+tax but you get locals in larger markets, also FS1, FS2,Fox Regionals, NBCSN, CBSSN, main BTN feed, etc...

A few cautions. If you don't have this (Google Chromecast thingie shown below) up front be prepared to watch the first month on your smartphone or computer (USE GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER, Firefox no beuno). After your 15 day trail they will send you a link to order 1 chromecast for free. The new generation looks like this
[Image: 50072152_Alt03?wid=520&hei=520&a...;fmt=pjpeg]

About the locals...you don't get everything...just the main feed for ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. Your call if getting all the sub-channels, CW and ION are worth it. I will be setting up an antenna to pick up the extra locals soon.

What I liked is as I traveled it recognize where I was and would allow me to watch the locals in Raleigh. Up at my cottage...the local TV market is way too small to support this. Just drive to the City (NYC) to visit my son. Youtube recognized I was in NY...switched over to the 4 local NY feeds.

Finally the upside is 3 devices at one time...and remote locations (i.e. Millennial children) seems to work...so about $39 a month is what I pay (includes tax) and I'm currently not wanting for much and I get 3 devices versus 1. I also get the FOX family which Sling Orange didn't give along with several extra sports channels.

Downside: No HGTV, Food, Animal Planet, CW, ION, TBS/TNT

Finally, can't complain about the picture quality...looks 1080P or near it.

My feelings is this is a strong contender for a household that watches a lot of college sports. However, some spouses might not be as happy as other plans.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MWC Tex - 10-06-2017 11:20 AM

(10-05-2017 10:57 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  So I recently learned that Charter Spectrum has a Roku app. Stay with me here.

Hmm...that is interesting. there really is no difference who you pay the bill too in that scenario.
Maybe the cable companies will head in that direction. The big issue right now with cable is the box and how they charge $7 - $10 per box each month. Then the DVR fee on top of that if you want that capability. Take that away and the overall price can come down pretty sharp without any internet package tied to it.

I tell ya, in about another 2 years, we'll see even more internet companies that a customer can choose for their home. Hughes Satellite is pretty expensive right now, but when they come down in price, that give the consumer at least 3 choices (cable internet, phone line, satellite). Then the wireless companies my get involved for the home depending on the 5G technology and bandwidth they may have. We already see them offering deals for the phone like ATT's offer DirecTV Now for $10 with wireless service. T-Mobile picking up the tab for Netflix steaming..etc.

RE: An Analysis of TV OTT Platforms - MWC Tex - 10-06-2017 11:33 AM

(10-06-2017 11:17 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Ok...my Youtube TV report

I have a Sling Orange account for $25+tax for awhile now (about 2 years). It is a great low cost alternative for very small families. Works really well if you primarily watch sports on the ESPN family. Downside...only 1 device at a time...also you have to figure out how to get your locals separately.

I'm switching to Youtube TV now from Sling. Cost is $35+tax but you get locals in larger markets, also FS1, FS2,Fox Regionals, NBCSN, CBSSN, main BTN feed, etc...

A few cautions. If you don't have this (Google Chromecast thingie) up front be prepared to watch the first month on your smartphone or computer (USE GOOGLE CHROME BROWSER). After your 15 day trail they will send you a link to order 1 chromecast for free. The new generation looks like this
[Image: 50072152_Alt03?wid=520&hei=520&a...;fmt=pjpeg]

About the locals...you don't get everything...just the main feed for ABC, CBS, Fox and NBC. You will need to set up a remote antenna or order the "lifeline" cable TV with your internet. It cost me under $10 to do this. Your call if getting all the sub-channels is worth it. I will be cancelling this and setting up an antenna to pick up the locals soon.

What I liked is as I traveled it recognize where I was and would allow me to watch the locals in Raleigh. Up at my cottage...the local TV market is way too small to support this.

Finally the upside is 3 devices at one time...and remote locations (i.e. Millennial children) seems to work...so about $39 a month is what I pay (includes tax) and I'm currently not wanting and I get 3 devices versus 1. I also get the FOX family which Sling Orange didn't give along with several extra sports channels.

Finally, can't complain about the picture quality...looks 1080P or near it.

Thanks for update and letting us know your experience. It seems like once you get signed up in an available market you are in and can view the app in markets not available for local channels.
I was unable to sign up because I don't live in a market for local channels.