CSNbbs
Keatts to NC State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Keatts to NC State (/thread-812769.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 01-03-2018 01:44 PM

(01-03-2018 01:29 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(01-03-2018 01:25 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Definitely had an issue with that. Had he been good at making in game Adjustments, we likely beat UVA. Difference is though, he won enough that we were able to write it off as a bump. He was very very stubborn. We saw this with the Chuck situation.

Not sure what adjustments were to be made against UVA though that could have helped us. Once they went small while also starting to swarm Cacok in the post, what were we going to do, respond by going big? Take Flemmings of the court and replace him with Marcus or Chuck? We didn't have the personnel to shift our gameplan entirely.

He didn't make the change McGrath has made the past two games...ZONE. They were taking it to the bucket at will to close the gap in the 1st half and extend the lead in the 2nd. half. Shayock and Perrantes scored 47 of their 77 points against our smaller guards. We only scored 29 in the first half and were down by one, we then scored 42 in the second half but they scored 46. It was only a 5 point loss.

RE: Keatts to NC State - surfsalot - 01-03-2018 03:46 PM

He didn't make the change McGrath has made the past two games...ZONE. They were taking it to the bucket at will to close the gap in the 1st half and extend the lead in the 2nd. half. Shayock and Perrantes scored 47 of their 77 points against our smaller guards. We only scored 29 in the first half and were down by one, we then scored 42 in the second half but they scored 46. It was only a 5 point loss.
[/quote]

01-ncaabbs01-ncaabbs01-ncaabbs

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawk Nation 08 - 01-03-2018 04:17 PM

(01-03-2018 01:36 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  He stuck with Bryant for an extended period of time and his guy scored like 10 of 12 points all easy layups. THAT was the difference in the game, from up huge, to lead completely disappearing in a matter of minutes. If he wasn't so stubborn with Chuck, Zero chance that guy gets all those easy points.

That's fair. Marcus is not a 5. Chuck was the only true 5 on the roster.

RE: Keatts to NC State - billthebighawksfan - 01-03-2018 08:25 PM

Hawks played a lot of man too last night. They were getting burned on both but the effort was better. The execution and effort needs to step up. At least he's mixing and matching.

RE: Keatts to NC State - jumpinmullet - 01-04-2018 04:14 PM

Watched State vs ND last night and it was pitiful. State has decent talent but were just terrible and it looked like they quit mid way in the 2nd half. Lets see if they get better towards the end of the season.

RE: Keatts to NC State - herdfifteen - 01-05-2018 07:57 PM

(01-04-2018 04:14 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Watched State vs ND last night and it was pitiful. State has decent talent but were just terrible and it looked like they quit mid way in the 2nd half. Lets see if they get better towards the end of the season.
You can't play at that level if you don't play defense, I have seen no evidence Keatts has the patience for it. I realize he presently doesn't have the talent to competent but in reading the State board his 'pressing ' style has not changed. Unlike UNCW he will not have superior talent at State.

RE: Keatts to NC State - B_Hawk06 - 01-05-2018 08:10 PM

(01-05-2018 07:57 PM)herdfifteen Wrote:  
(01-04-2018 04:14 PM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Watched State vs ND last night and it was pitiful. State has decent talent but were just terrible and it looked like they quit mid way in the 2nd half. Lets see if they get better towards the end of the season.
You can't play at that level if you don't play defense, I have seen no evidence Keatts has the patience for it. I realize he presently doesn't have the talent to competent but in reading the State board his 'pressing ' style has not changed. Unlike UNCW he will not have superior talent at State.

Just to clarify, are you saying he was able to attract top mid-major talent to UNCW (and we could out-athlete our conference foes), but won't be able to do the same at State due to programs like UNC, Duke, etc?

RE: Keatts to NC State - herdfifteen - 01-05-2018 08:44 PM

(01-05-2018 08:10 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Just to clarify, are you saying he was able to attract top mid-major talent to UNCW (and we could out-athlete our conference foes), but won't be able to do the same at State due to programs like UNC, Duke, etc?
Yes

RE: Keatts to NC State - B_Hawk06 - 01-05-2018 09:28 PM

(01-05-2018 08:44 PM)herdfifteen Wrote:  

Yes

Okay. I don't think we attracted talent beyond the capability of any other CAA team. Not similar in relation to how UNC and Duke bring in talent far superior to the rest of the ACC. Let's face it, Keatts got lucky concerning Flemmings. That one fell into his lap. Outside of that, I think Keatts just executed better at UNCW than he has thus far at State. A lot of that does amount to talent level, but part of that is because of the guys he has to play right now. He's playing with a team that wasn't built for his "system".

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawkhoops - 01-05-2018 09:50 PM

(01-05-2018 09:28 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  

Yes

Okay. I don't think we attracted talent beyond the capability of any other CAA team. Not similar in relation to how UNC and Duke bring in talent far superior to the rest of the ACC. Let's face it, Keatts got lucky concerning Flemmings. That one fell into his lap. Outside of that, I think Keatts just executed better at UNCW than he has thus far at State. A lot of that does amount to talent level, but part of that is because of the guys he has to play right now. He's playing with a team that wasn't built for his "system".

He immediately won at Uncw with a team that wasn’t built for his system... so there’s that

RE: Keatts to NC State - B_Hawk06 - 01-05-2018 09:58 PM

(01-05-2018 09:50 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 09:28 PM)CG_Hawk06 Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 07:57 PM)herdfifteen Wrote:  You can't play at that level if you don't play defense, I have seen no evidence Keatts has the patience for it. I realize he presently doesn't have the talent to competent but in reading the State board his 'pressing ' style has not changed. Unlike UNCW he will not have superior talent at State.

Yes

He immediately won at Uncw with a team that wasn’t built for his system... so there’s that

I get that, but our roster was vastly different than what he currently has at NC State right now. He has a bunch of huge players. Here at the mid major level, you don't typically see rosters stacked with that kind of size too often. He's not gonna be able to run and gun with that State roster like he was able to with our smaller roster. Plus, I can't be sure off the top of my head, but I think he had more roster spots available to him here and just stacked it with bodies to deliver that quicker paced offense. That doesn't seem to be the case at State. I'm not attempting to make excuses for him, I just think the teams aren't comparable.

RE: Keatts to NC State - bricksnivy - 01-05-2018 10:18 PM

State is a much tougher job than many people want to admit. In the history of the program, no coach has had success there without NCAA violations. Someone pointed out on Twitter today, he's always had a talent advantage...at Hargrave, Louisville and at UNCW. The only exception was his first year at UNCW and the CAA was down that year. Earlier this week he came out and said that he doesn't have ACC-level talent right now. He's facing an uphill climb and I'm not sure going with a smaller, athletic roster is the formula for sustainable success in the ACC.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawkhoops - 01-06-2018 08:44 AM

(01-05-2018 10:18 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  State is a much tougher job than many people want to admit. In the history of the program, no coach has had success there without NCAA violations. Someone pointed out on Twitter today, he's always had a talent advantage...at Hargrave, Louisville and at UNCW. The only exception was his first year at UNCW and the CAA was down that year. Earlier this week he came out and said that he doesn't have ACC-level talent right now. He's facing an uphill climb and I'm not sure going with a smaller, athletic roster is the formula for sustainable success in the ACC.

I think everyone here acknowledges that’s it is a tough job. I know most did when his name was originally mentioned. Why bring up the NCAA stuff? In the grand scheme the stuff that happened on Jimmy V’s watch is nothing compared to what happened down the road. But this isn’t the place for that discussion.

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 01-06-2018 09:41 AM

Keatts has a pretty simple formula, but it requires certain types of players. He needs scorers, three point shooting guards and athletic bigs. He doesn't have any of that at NCSU right now. His bigs are slow post players who can't run the court. His guards are not good three point shooters. And the team isn't athletic overall. His goal is to have better scoring at each position than you do. He then relies on the press and pressure to allow great scorers to be good defenders and to get easy buckets off TO's and steals.

He'll land some transfers and get some good recruits. I expect next year the team will be much better, and by his third year competing at a high level.

As far as talent level, Keatts recognizes talent and knows how to use it. Cacok was under recruited but Keatts saw the talent. Ingram was barely used at Charlotte but Keatts turned him loose as a sharp shooting PG who played incredibly smart. He was all over Ingram until Wichita State showed up late.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawk2010 - 01-06-2018 01:29 PM

Looking forward to Duke trouncing State tonight! I hope they run up the score.

RE: Keatts to NC State - billthebighawksfan - 01-06-2018 02:11 PM

You would think that State could at least be somewhat competitive but my guess is that Duke is going to beat State down like dogs.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawk2010 - 01-06-2018 02:30 PM

I thought so too, until State played Notre Dame on Wed and got KILLED!

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 01-06-2018 10:22 PM

Kevin Keatts can flat out coach. That is all.....

RE: Keatts to NC State - billthebighawksfan - 01-06-2018 10:41 PM

He's good at getting guys to believe in themselves and loses against disciplined teams that play defense. If you can guard the pick and roll, you can beat him. If you can't, he will beat you some nights. He did a lot for UNCW during his time here but defense wasn't there. Duke can't defend at all and that's why they got beat. And, Duke has all the players LOL! Good for State and Keatts. They won't win many this year, but they did get to celebrate at least once. He will make them competitive over time probably/maybe.

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 01-07-2018 06:40 AM

They won't win many games? Wanna' bet Bill(I know you don't and neither do I)? I've watched them all year, and last night I saw a team come away with a win nobody expected. I also saw a team gain a tremendous amount of confidence in themselves and each other. Keatts has a stable of big men that can't be matched in the CAA, and last night he found a way to use them in his system. He also has a young PG who went toe to toe against a very good Duke team and beat them down the stretch.

This isn't the long, athletic team filled with guards and wings Keatts prefers, but like I said, he can flat out coach and he is finding his way with this roster. They still get TO's, they still get out on the break, and they still press to run clock and force tempo. He's just adjusting his game plan to be more oriented towards his big men. The ACC better watch out.