CSNbbs
Keatts to NC State - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: Keatts to NC State (/thread-812769.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 04-25-2017 04:54 PM

What purge do you speak of? One S and C coach and the assistants that came with Keatts 3 years ago? How will we ever go on?

RE: Keatts to NC State - bricksnivy - 04-25-2017 05:17 PM

As long as we don't end up with the same strength coach that we had during the Benny/Buzz era, I think we'll be okay.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Proff - 04-25-2017 05:21 PM

I could be mistaken but that was Murphy wasn't it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Keatts to NC State - SEA33HAWK - 04-25-2017 05:38 PM

Don't confuse coaching with S&C. If he wasn't that good, Keatts wouldn't be taking him.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Proff - 04-25-2017 05:43 PM

It is a loss for the other sports as well because he worked with all sports. At least that's what the write up on him on the website said.

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 04-25-2017 08:42 PM

Keatts took him because he knew what he was getting and they worked well together. It's that simple. Yes, we have to replace him, but it's not the end of the world for god's sake people. Geez, get a grip. In fact, we all had this exact discussion right after Keatts left, so this really isn't a surprise.

RE: Keatts to NC State - GrayHawk - 04-25-2017 09:05 PM

Make no mistake, this is a TOTAL purge..That said, yes we will be ok. Keatts took Murphy because he's damn good, they work well together, and Keatts is loyal to the guys who work under him.

Keatts to NC State - Seahawkhoops - 04-25-2017 10:01 PM

(04-25-2017 09:05 PM)GrayHawk Wrote:  Make no mistake, this is a TOTAL purge..That said, yes we will be ok. Keatts took Murphy because he's damn good, they work well together, and Keatts is loyal to the guys who work under him.

Our base is so divided right now. Where we came from and where we appear headed I'm just not sure how some are not seeing the red flags here. Hope I'm proven wrong

RE: Keatts to NC State - solohawks - 04-25-2017 10:50 PM

I couldn't name any assistant coach to save my life but I knew Murphy. Players were constantly thanking him and giving him shout outs. Not a back breaker but another shot to the kidneys so soon really sucks

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 04-26-2017 04:04 AM

People, he's a strength and conditioning coach. Cardiovascular and weight lifting work. If anything, Keatts drove him to a higher level, not the the other way around. Keatts demanded we have the best conditioned players. Lest we forget, Murphy was on board for Benny and Buzz as well and I don't recall hearing how incredibly conditioned our players were then.

Keatts introduced UNCW to a higher level of expectation overall. That included conditioning. Murphy simply pushed the players to meet that expectation. Any trainer can do,this, but it's up to the coach to have the expectations.

Ya'll have lost your minds.

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 04-26-2017 04:17 AM

Here's the real problem.

Keatts came to UNCW as a winner, and with an expectation that UNCW be a winner. He instilled that in our program top to bottom. He never thought of UNCW as "just" UNCW. He acted like a powerhouse coach, exuded a championship attitude, and led in that manner. And lo and behold, we became champions.

I see that same expectation and background in McGrath. He has been in winning cultures his whole basketball career. Nobody would say that UNC players don't play hard and aren't in shape. Every aspect of that program exudes the expectation of championships. He is likely to aim higher and expect more as well. But, that means recruiting the right players and coaches. So far, he has produced what I would consider to be quality coaches. The only thing that sucks about losing Murphy is that it puts another task on the plate and reminds the players that NCSU is leaving them behind with another loss of a familiar face.

How about waiting for the first game of this coaches time at UNCW before hitting the panic button? Worrying about what COULD be is useless. Until we see actual failure, projecting failure as a fan base is like a coach with low expectations.

And, get over yourselves. You're not taking a single shot or playing a single game for UNCW. Most of you don't spend a nickel to help this program based on our own polls here. What, exactly, do you have to lose?

RE: Keatts to NC State - tke75hawk - 04-26-2017 06:34 AM

I hope we win many games but I do not consider a this as a quality hire as a head coach until I see the the team play real games and we win.this would be true for any coach we hired with no track record as a head coach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Keatts to NC State - Coast2Coast - 04-26-2017 06:48 AM

82hawk-

Here's my two cents...random thoughts:

I want to be excited about McGrath and really hope he can take our program to the next level. So far, he's not doing a good enough job creating excitement. Many on the board don't feel it, and I suspect recruits and our current players don't feel it.

I like UNC, but I don't have any clue what kind of style McGrath plans to play. He said "fast", that's really about the only thing he's said. This brings back nightmares of Benny Moss to me. I believe he described his style in similar fashion.

What kind of players are we trying to recruit? I have no idea. I see where schools all over the country are making offers and ALREADY HAVE commitments but I hear very little about UNCW.

We have a team that is a player or 2 away from competing for the CAA Championship again. We have a great campus in a beach town. Although late to recruiting, this should be an easy sell. I get frustrated when I see all these freshman and Grad transfers signing in other places and don't even hear UNCW mentioned. Let's get somebody to commit to build some momentum.

With most of the staff leaving, all of our recruits gone, no recruits signed, and little noise about recruits, I am frustrated and have lost my excitement. Again, McGrath needs to do something to bring excitement back to the program - for the players, recruits, and the fans!

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawkhoops - 04-26-2017 06:55 AM

(04-26-2017 06:48 AM)Coast2Coast Wrote:  82hawk-

Here's my two cents...random thoughts:

I want to be excited about McGrath and really hope he can take our program to the next level. So far, he's not doing a good enough job creating excitement. Many on the board don't feel it, and I suspect recruits and our current players don't feel it.

I like UNC, but I don't have any clue what kind of style McGrath plans to play. He said "fast", that's really about the only thing he's said. This brings back nightmares of Benny Moss to me. I believe he described his style in similar fashion.

What kind of players are we trying to recruit? I have no idea. I see where schools all over the country are making offers and ALREADY HAVE commitments but I hear very little about UNCW.

We have a team that is a player or 2 away from competing for the CAA Championship again. We have a great campus in a beach town. Although late to recruiting, this should be an easy sell. I get frustrated when I see all these freshman and Grad transfers signing in other places and don't even hear UNCW mentioned. Let's get somebody to commit to build some momentum.

With most of the staff leaving, all of our recruits gone, no recruits signed, and little noise about recruits, I am frustrated and have lost my excitement. Again, McGrath needs to do something to bring excitement back to the program - for the players, recruits, and the fans!
How dare you bring facts to the board. The fact that some don't see or put on their homer glasses and ignore the red flags are beyond me.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Coast2Coast - 04-26-2017 06:56 AM

I also think UNCW Athletics needs to do a better job building excitement - post pics of McGrath out the recruiting trail, show pics of him practicing with the players, show him out on campus, etc. I'm sure McGrath's busy but it seems like he's disappeared for 2-3 weeks. The only news we are getting is bad news.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Seahawkhoops - 04-26-2017 06:58 AM

(04-26-2017 06:56 AM)Coast2Coast Wrote:  I also think UNCW Athletics needs to do a better job building excitement - post pics of McGrath out the recruiting trail, show pics of him practicing with the players, show him out on campus, etc. I'm sure McGrath's busy but it seems like he's disappeared for 2-3 weeks. The only news we are getting is bad news.
Also, a fair point.

RE: Keatts to NC State - Dash Rip Rock Jr - 04-26-2017 07:15 AM

Local media coverage has gotten pretty slack. I good interview article would be nice. Mull would have let us know everything that was going on from day one and lots of updates on recruits

RE: Keatts to NC State - 82hawk - 04-26-2017 07:54 AM

Gawd, you sound like some overbearing, needy girlfriends I had in college. You didn't call me right when you got home...how do I know you were where you said you were?

You need pictures and tweets that they are "out recruiting"? You need pictures to prove they are practicing? Why, do you doubt they are? Has any coach you've ever known of done that?

The excitement will come when we actually get commits. The rest is fluff. Shows me the staff is working their tails off doing what they need to do. I ASSUME they are recruiting and practicing as any coach on earth is doing. The rest of the UNCW world isn't on a message board daily fretting over every minute detail in the program. Do they really need a media campaign for this over analytical crew on a message board(me included)?

RE: Keatts to NC State - GrayHawk - 04-26-2017 08:06 AM

For Gods sake people..Coach McGrath and staff are out recruiting their butts off. THAT is the main point of emphasis right now I'm POSITIVE...Get players committed for next season and fill the remainder of the staff. I do however believe that it's imperative that we find a good strength and conditioning coach and the sooner the better. The remaining players can miss a few basketball workouts without much harm, but they need to continuously work on getting stronger/faster

RE: Keatts to NC State - Dash Rip Rock Jr - 04-26-2017 08:31 AM

They haven't bee n out recruiting that much because they haven't been allowed to. They were out last weekend and will be this upcoming weekend. Guys were put into a really tough situation to recruit this year.