CSNbbs
2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting (/thread-811241.html)

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - SoCal Frank - 06-09-2019 06:20 PM

(06-09-2019 05:54 PM)HoopManVA Wrote:  Looks like a great pickup..... Nice.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Latvia is a basketball crazed culture and country. They emphasize the three B’s. Beer, bread, and basketball. You see courts all over. Latvians love the game. I like big, talented guards.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 06-09-2019 06:38 PM

One thing for sure, the new European distance 3 point line shouldn't bother him.

I like that he is very fluid in his game and appears quick and in control. He seems to take pride in his defense as well. I would guess that coming from high level European play that the physicality of the college game won't be as daunting. Hopefully we found our Vasa Pusica.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - nj alum - 06-09-2019 06:49 PM

Did he have any other offers?

Is it fair to say that we have replaced Brown with Hermanovskis?

If so, is it a wash, or did we come out ahead/behind?

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Naptown Tribe - 06-09-2019 06:59 PM

(06-09-2019 06:38 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  One thing for sure, the new European distance 3 point line shouldn't bother him.

I like that he is very fluid in his game and appears quick and in control. He seems to take pride in his defense as well. I would guess that coming from high level European play that the physicality of the college game won't be as daunting. Hopefully we found our Vasa Pusica.

Vasa was the first comparison that popped into my mind watching him play which would be awesome.

He is definitely an aggressive on ball defender and can do a bunch of things offensively.

Could be a really good find by our staff and he could see the court early at either guard position. Kudos to Coach Dane and staff for this pickup.

Our depth for next year keeps increasing which is great. Lots of competition for playing time at the 1,2, and 3 positions. Should be really interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - TDenverFan - 06-09-2019 07:02 PM

Looks like he plays some solid defense, which is nice

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 06-09-2019 07:12 PM

(06-09-2019 06:49 PM)nj alum Wrote:  Did he have any other offers?

Offers are hard to judge with euros. Past the elite guys they are often under recruited. College coaches like to keep it that way too. Easier to get talent with less eyes on them. Gonzaga made a living on this in their rise to national prominence.

Brown and Rainers are two completely different style of players. I'd have loved them both.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribeheart - 06-09-2019 07:57 PM

Very quick release on his shot. Definitely added some outside scoring. Saw him rated anywhere from #13 to #22 regarding top class of 2019 international recruits.

So, a Belgian, a Spaniard, and now a Latvian. Great having some international flavor.

Welcome to the Tribe family, Rainers!

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - ColonelEbirt - 06-09-2019 08:48 PM

Rainers looks athletic and smooth. Unsure about the competition level he played against, but those highlight clips make him look far better than any other unsigned prospects we’ve been talking about at this stage in the 2019 class. Let’s see how his game translates to the CAA, but I’m excited about him right now.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - nj alum - 06-09-2019 09:31 PM

(06-09-2019 07:12 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(06-09-2019 06:49 PM)nj alum Wrote:  Did he have any other offers?

Offers are hard to judge with euros. Past the elite guys they are often under recruited. College coaches like to keep it that way too. Easier to get talent with less eyes on them. Gonzaga made a living on this in their rise to national prominence.

Brown and Rainers are two completely different style of players. I'd have loved them both.

Merci!

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - hktribefan - 06-09-2019 11:20 PM

Europe always a hard one for schools like ours because the resources needed to scout are hard to pull together. Would be interested to know if he reached out to us, us to him, or perhaps a connection through someone on the staff. It's a great window though, and as others have noted Europe can be a great source for some quality talent.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribeheart - 06-10-2019 03:07 AM

(06-09-2019 08:48 PM)ColonelEbirt Wrote:  Rainers looks athletic and smooth. Unsure about the competition level he played against, but those highlight clips make him look far better than any other unsigned prospects we’ve been talking about at this stage in the 2019 class. Let’s see how his game translates to the CAA, but I’m excited about him right now.

Sent frrom my iPhone using Tapatalk

The competition in the first highlight video of his play this year was in the Latvian-Estonian Basketball League which is a professional league and the highest league in both countries.
https://youtu.be/5CBEip9S0Ak
He obviously was not paid, so, he maintained his amateur status.

To put it in perspective, the leading scorer in the league this season was one time Tribe recruit, Justin Johnson, who was the leading scorer and rebounder for Western Kentucky his senior year (10th/pts and 5th/rebs all time program history), 1st team All-CUSA and made the NIT All-Tournament team. The leader in assists was Tony Wroten, who played at Washington and was the 25th pick in the 2012 NBA draft after his freshman year. I glanced at some of the rosters and the American players in the league and there were several, previous NBA players. The fact that he was able to hit double digit scoring in some games is impressive, even if he was on a young team that didn't win many games.

Bottom line is that Hermanovskis was an 18 year old playing with grown men. Not to overestimate, but he should be ready for CAA level play more than any freshman we have ever had. Reminds me an awful lot of UVA's Kyle Guy, except 2 inches taller, if his listed height is to be believed.

One schollie still available.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 06-10-2019 05:29 AM

(06-09-2019 11:20 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  Europe always a hard one for schools like ours because the resources needed to scout are hard to pull together. Would be interested to know if he reached out to us, us to him, or perhaps a connection through someone on the staff. It's a great window though, and as others have noted Europe can be a great source for some quality talent.

Maybe a third party connected them. On May 6 Howland followed USA College Network, a recruiting and scouting service for international players. They just tweeted an announcement of the commitment with a #UCN hashtag. They also started following the WMTribeMBB account.

https://mobile.twitter.com/usacollegenet/status/1138031154441928704

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 06-10-2019 05:46 AM

Eurohopes tweets that Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk committed to Illinois. Coach Kemp followed him soon after joining the Tribe coaching staff.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 06-10-2019 05:55 AM

(05-06-2019 03:20 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Coach Howland started following USA College Network, an international scouting and recruiting service. They just tweeted out highlights for 25 players they represent so you can see what Howland is looking at:

https://mobile.twitter.com/usacollegenet

https://mobile.twitter.com/usacollegenet/status/1125491331294482432

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - ColonelEbirt - 06-10-2019 07:53 AM

Well...however we found him, I’m glad we did. Based on video, I have some questions about his 3-point shot / release, but his PG potential seems legit given handles, passing ability, and quickness. And given overall soundness on basic fundamentals, my questions on his ability as a #2 will hopefully be proven wrong in due time.

Practices should be really fun and competitive at the 1/2 and 4/5 positions this year.

Would love for our final schollie to go to a legit wing, which is where we’re thin. But those guys aren’t easy to find at this point. Perhaps a sit-out transfer.

Let’s go Dane and staff! Has been a good last few weeks in Tribeland.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Naptown Tribe - 06-10-2019 12:07 PM

Thankful to have Rainers and believe he will be an asset to our program from the start and be incredibly fun to watch play and develop.

A backcourt of Barnes and Rainers together would be quite interesting at times given both of their ability to penetrate and create which is something we’ve struggled with. Pick and rolls with Knight and drive and dishes to Nate could be plentiful as well as pick and pops with Andy and drive and kicks to Andy spotting up.

Would love if we could get a little more wing depth with the last scholarship (even if it’s a grad transfer) but that might be a little greedy.

Honestly a month ago having 12 scholarship players at this point felt like a pipe dream for next year so congrats and thanks to the coaching staff for their hard work.

It’ll be really interesting to see how this team and Dane’s style come together and mesh. Lots of competition and playing time opportunities so hopefully the cream rises and the team comes together to truly play as one.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - HyperDuke - 06-10-2019 12:59 PM

Guys, this is really coming together for your basketball team. It was looking grim initially & I'm sure there's still some appropriate negative outlook for some, but these look like good gets by your new coach.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WMInTheBurg - 06-10-2019 01:14 PM

(06-10-2019 12:59 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  Guys, this is really coming together for your basketball team. It was looking grim initially & I'm sure there's still some appropriate negative outlook for some, but these look like good gets by your new coach.

Not as good as JMU's team. This is definitely the year it all comes together for the Dukes.

(Don't bring that reverse jinx in here)

In all seriousness, it was said best by someone else, if Shaver had retired, Dane would have been the perfect hire. It makes sense that once he got his staff and his bearings that we'd be happy with the results.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - A Quest Called Tribe - 06-10-2019 01:20 PM

Glad that Dane was able to get himself a full pantry. 2020 will be a bellwether year.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribe32 - 06-10-2019 03:53 PM

Just remember that everyone's highlight tape looks good. I'll be excited to see them at homecoming if they have an open scrimmage. My gut tells me that Fischer will put something together in terms of scheme that fits who he has as opposed to forcing a system on the team. We have a lot of size at every position with the exception of the transfer PG, but he's built like a truck.