CSNbbs
2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting (/thread-811241.html)

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribal - 05-16-2019 05:56 PM

Wight, not Wright.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 06:13 PM

Seriously, no feedback good or bad on my amazing nickname?

The Wight Walker

Looking forward to the Wight Knight lineup.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Blow Gym rat - 05-16-2019 06:31 PM

I think there a lot of potential for the broadcast team to come up with a good “Wight Stuff” line.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 06:38 PM

Will there be "Wight man can jump" signs at the games?

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 07:02 PM

Charlie Weber committed to East Tennessee State

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - wml33t - 05-16-2019 07:31 PM

What a day to be in an all day, no laptop meeting!

This is GREAT news! Still a long way to go, but this really gets a big fat sigh of relief in my house.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-16-2019 08:38 PM

(04-11-2019 06:16 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Dion Bethea, the head coach at Gray Collegiate Academy in Columbia, SC tweets:

“Latest schools to reach out about Gray Collegiate Academy unsigned senior 6’2 CG @tommykingbruner Georgia State, Gardner-Webb & William & Mary. He will be taking an official visit to Hofstra April 18th.”

Verbal Commits lists offers from Hofstra, CofC, Missouri State, UNLV, South Carolina State, Wyoming, and ECU.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3JevWz4ev60

Bruner commits to USC Upstate.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-16-2019 08:55 PM

The following are all the players I've seen connected to WM since the hiring of the new staff:

Committed to the Tribe!
Ben Wight 6'9 Worthington, OH
Miguel Ayesa 6'5 Miami, FL

Followed and Followed Back:
Malik Tidwell 5'9 Chicago Heights, IL
Benson Lin 6'4 Taipei, Taiwan (former Manhattan commit)

Followed and a Parent Followed Back but not Player:
Ahmir Langlais 6'8 Lilburn, GA
Terrell Ard Jr. 6'6 Acworth, GA

Followed with no Follow Back:
Benjamin Bosmans-Verdonk 6'6 Belgium
Elias King 6’8 Carmichael, CA

Not Followed but Twitter says WM called about them:
Zeke Littlejohn 6'2 Kings Mountain, NC (former UMES commit)

Committed or Re-classified:
Cameron Brown 6'5 Greenbelt, MD -> St. Joe's
Jaylin Hunter 6'2 Lincoln, NE -> ODU
John Michael Wright 6'0 Fayetteville, NC -> High Point
Alyn Breed 6'3 Powder Springs, GA -> Re-classified
Marcus Domask 6'6 Waupun, WI -> Southern Illinois
Tay Howard 6'4 Commerce, GA -> Coastal Georgia
Kendall Lewis 6'5 Snellville, GA -> App State
Tyrin Lawrence 6'3 Madison, GA - > Re-classified
Tristan Newton 6'3 El Paso, TX -> ECU
Zac Ervin Gate City, VA -> Elon
Savion Gallion 6'4 Washington, DC -> Buffalo
Donovan Ivory 6'4 Kaukauna, WI -> UMass Lowell
Ade Adebayo 6'5 Nigeria -> UC Davis
Jordan Hairston 6'0 Chantilly, VA -> Texas A&M Corpus Christi
Luke Howard 6'9 Vancouver, BC -> Lipscomb
Maks Klanjscek 6'5 Slovenia -> UMKC
Zion Richardson 6'4 Frisco, TX -> Wofford
Hunter Woods 6'6 Pasadena, CA -> Elon
Noah Hutchins 6'0 Buffalo, NY -> Re-classified
Zane Meeks 6'9 Prairie Village, KS -> Nevada
Chris Shelton 6'4 Gum Springs, VA -> Hampton
Anwar Gill 6'4 Washington, DC -> Re-classified
Tommy Bruner 6'2 Columbia, SC -> USC Upstate

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 09:17 PM

(05-16-2019 05:28 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Not to be a jerk, but Ohio is a step up in hoops compared with the CAA.

It's not being a jerk to think the MAC is a step up from the CAA. They have some strong athletic schools there. We all recruit a lot of the same kids, as does the A10, Big South, and some Patriot schools. Being a former Ohio commit doesn't make him any higher regarded than most other caa level recruits.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribe32 - 05-17-2019 05:40 AM

(05-16-2019 09:17 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(05-16-2019 05:28 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Not to be a jerk, but Ohio is a step up in hoops compared with the CAA.

It's not being a jerk to think the MAC is a step up from the CAA. They have some strong athletic schools there. We all recruit a lot of the same kids, as does the A10, Big South, and some Patriot schools. Being a former Ohio commit doesn't make him any higher regarded than most other caa level recruits.

That's where we'll agree to disagree. Top to bottom the MAC has more talent than the CAA. I'm not trying to compare the MAC to the ACC, but it is a better league than the CAA. Good CAA teams will definitely compete/beat MAC teams, but the RPI for the MAC is quite a bit higher than CAA. As for Wight, we'll see. He looks very talented to me on the highlights. If the highlights are really representative of his game we would have been excited about this kid no matter the situation.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-17-2019 06:14 AM

(05-17-2019 05:40 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  

That's where we'll agree to disagree. Top to bottom the MAC has more talent than the CAA. I'm not trying to compare the MAC to the ACC, but it is a better league than the CAA. Good CAA teams will definitely compete/beat MAC teams, but the RPI for the MAC is quite a bit higher than CAA. As for Wight, we'll see. He looks very talented to me on the highlights. If the highlights are really representative of his game we would have been excited about this kid no matter the situation.
I'm not debating one way or the other the strength of teams or conference. My only point was based on recruiting, something I follow fairly closely, we recruit from the same pool. Some with MAC or A10 offers come to the CAA and vice-versa. Where a guy ends up isn't necessarily indicative of where they could play or who was after them.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribe32 - 05-17-2019 06:23 AM

(05-17-2019 06:14 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(05-17-2019 05:40 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  

I'm not debating one way or the other the strength of teams or conference. My only point was based on recruiting, something I follow fairly closely, we recruit from the same pool. Some with MAC or A10 offers come to the CAA and vice-versa. Where a guy ends up isn't necessarily indicative of where they could play or who was after them.

I agree with you completely that we're going after some of the same players.

So what's the reason for the better league RPI? Coaching? Strength of schedule? Talent on an overall basis?

Somewhere or another there has to be a difference that puts MAC ahead of CAA.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - HoopManVA - 05-17-2019 06:42 AM

Who cares about the conferences recruiting these kids. I was worried 2 days ago that we didn't have any recruits, we've now got two really good ones in my opinion watching their clips. We all know at the end of the day it's such a small margin between a kid that's going to Notre Dame vs. a kid that's going to William and Mary. I think a lot of times really the only variance is the fact that our recruits are not physically mature yet. The higher conferences want guys in most cases that are already men. You see it time and time again that the kids that are skilled and physically immature, guys like Gordon Hayward etc, end up achieving a higher level than the better athletes that schools try and teach skill. If we can get good skilled kids in, put them on a college weight and conditioning program, very quickly they become equally as good as any other player in the country. Why we've got guys that have moved on to North Carolina, trying out for the pros etc. Reeling into recruits and those positions is not only going to help the sense of urgency of other people considering William and Mary, we're also going to perform better first year than we would have without them. Plus, I'd rather have two guys coming in excited and wanting to be a part of something special than to have retained a couple kids that were on the fence and considering leaving.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - HoopManVA - 05-17-2019 06:47 AM

It also will be helpful if Dane can reel in some high-profile 2020s for early signing. That's the draw to other recruits that see that going on and think, man I want to be a part of that.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-17-2019 06:49 AM

Video list of Miguel provided by his father Carlos.

https://vimeo.com/306944652

Especially like watching his workout video. You can see just how potentially dangerous that jumper can be. If open, he doesn't miss much.

Saw a video of him from 2017 of just the 8 minute 1st quarter of a game. I think he made his 1st 4 threes and finished 5 of 7 for all 15 of his team's points. Not a bad 1st quarter output.

https://youtu.be/YzdpBdv7-UU

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - ColonelEbirt - 05-17-2019 08:04 AM

Congrats to the staff (and the current remaining players) for this great news! Momentum matters. My guess is we'll add at least 1 grad transfer and 1 sit-out transfer, but who knows. Perhaps one other high school senior will come our way too.

Both Wight and Ayesa are good gets. Initial reactions below. Summary is that we did not 'settle' with either of these, though they both need to put in a lot of work and grow in their game to have significant impact on the court next season. Projecting any impact beyond next season is silly (and sure, it's probably silly to project impact even next year, but that's what we all have fun doing!)

Wight: I love to see someone that explosive around the rim. He dunks everything. Decent hops. Good hands. Can run the floor. I assume his handles need some work, because given the talent around him on his high school team, if he could have created his own shot, we would have seen a lot more of that. If we run a 2-post offense, I could see him slotting into the 4. But if it's more of the 4-guard line-up we've seen the past few years, right now he seems like a 5 only.
Disappointing production numbers his senior year, but sounds like he dealt with injuries. Similar to many big men coming out of high school, he needs to put on muscle or he's gonna get beat up down low. I think Harvey will help toughen him up. If Knight comes back, we suddenly have some legit depth in the post. Right now, I don't see Wight slotting in as anything more than 3rd-string behind Knight and Harvey, with his playing time very dependent on what sort of offense we run. This guy would have been a perfect redshirt candidate a few years ago (before the dynamics of the college game changed and redshirting seems like a thing of the past).

Ayesa: Wow, what a stroke. Deadly shooter. Far more physically mature than others we've brought in with a 'shooter only' reputation. He's pretty flat-footed on his shot, so I worry whether he can get it up over larger defenders. Also expect him to struggle defensively with lateral quickness limitations. His handles were better than I expected. He's not terribly fast nor quick, but his hard-nosed and aggressive approach suggests he will be able to get to the hoop, with an ability to finish because of his strength. If his posted videos and his story paint a true picture of who he is, that is exactly the kind of guy and work ethic we want to bring onto this team. I have a feeling the current guys will love practicing / playing with him. He should push Jihar for some playing time at the 2/3.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-17-2019 08:37 AM

For whatever reason, saying Wight's senior year was a disappointment is an understatement. I saw a scouting service last summer list Wight as the #6 2019 prospect in Ohio https://bigshots.net/big-shots-ohio-2019-rankings/ . He finished as an honorable mention in the Columbus area. Going from a potential top 10 player in a strong basketball state to a recruiting afterthought is not easy to do.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - LeadBolt - 05-17-2019 09:26 AM

(05-17-2019 06:47 AM)HoopManVA Wrote:  It also will be helpful if Dane can reel in some high-profile 2020s for early signing. That's the draw to other recruits that see that going on and think, man I want to be a part of that.

Burke Smith, perhaps?

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - HoopManVA - 05-17-2019 10:22 AM

Big Shots rankings have about as much value as the local YMCA. The more events you attend etcetera the higher they rank you. Even the teams go by a point system and you get points for games played in their tournaments. So if you do one event, beat a team by 50, and that same team plays six events they're going to be ranked much higher. It's a money maker. Unless it's ESPN or 247sports all the other rankings don't mean crap.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - HoopManVA - 05-17-2019 10:39 AM

Dude was injured too evidently. [Image: 3b127d79bc4040bc75476ef42e265e82.jpg]