CSNbbs
2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting (/thread-811241.html)

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - TribePride91 - 05-14-2019 04:39 PM

At these on this thread, our first contact with Zac Ervin was back in Feb of 2018. He just recently signed with Elon. It would appear we were making the same efforts with multiple 2020 recruits this season. So, the success that was achieved in the past took a lot of contact and time. For 2019, we have neither of those at this point. But, on this thread, 2019 recruiting started in 2017. So, for 2020.......

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - TribeFan1983 - 05-14-2019 05:02 PM

(05-14-2019 04:22 PM)nj alum Wrote:  I just finished reading an article on a pay Purdue web site about Matt Painter, so I can’t link it.

The gist is this.

Purdue’s MBB program and Painter are one and the same. Painter is coming off his 14th season. Izzo has the longevity crown in the Big Ten; Painter is second.

Painter has never made the Final Four. He won’t be fired for that “sin”. Keady, his predecessor, never made the Final Four, either. Keady wasn’t fired, and retired gracefully.

Purdue’s recruiting is off the charts right now ... due in large part to program stability.

William and Mary threw all of that away. W&M basically has no MBB program at the moment because Dane, the face of the program, is basically an unknown ... hence the recruiting woes.

The AD was looking to replace Tony with a “name”, it didn’t materialize, and it all blew up. Recruiting is back to square one. The returning team has been hit with a slew of transfers.

Self-inflicted. AD malpractice.

—————————————————

The firing of Tony Shaver- the shame of William and Mary

You simply can't compare Shaver to Painter. In 15 seasons at Purdue, Painter went 321-159. He won the Big 10 regular season championship 3x and went to the NCAA tournament 11x. In 16 seasons, Tony went 226-268, won 1 regular season championship and never went to the NCAAs.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - TribePride91 - 05-14-2019 05:09 PM

(05-14-2019 03:25 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I honestly never thought that I would =ever be jealous of Elon. Not only have they whipped our butts in football the last 2 times we have played them, now they are wiping the floor in basketball recruiting with us.

I'm hoping that this is not the new normal.

Does Elon own us now? Hopefully not. But, the loss in football at home to them a few years back was a sign of changing times. Looking forward to football season as a chance to establish something new there. As for basketball, J. Holmes and the Elon staff are doing great. In fact, UNCW and Elon have both gotten some excellent prospects in the last 2 months. Certainly will be watching Zac Ervin next year like we all watch he who shall not be named at Hofstra.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-14-2019 05:58 PM

(05-14-2019 04:39 PM)TribePride91 Wrote:  At these on this thread, our first contact with Zac Ervin was back in Feb of 2018. He just recently signed with Elon. It would appear we were making the same efforts with multiple 2020 recruits this season. So, the success that was achieved in the past took a lot of contact and time. For 2019, we have neither of those at this point. But, on this thread, 2019 recruiting started in 2017. So, for 2020.......
I agree it takes time. And normally Id agree to be patient because they are building a new program. But then comes a peer school with new coaches and our same disadvantages that didn't seem to have a problem convincing kids that their school is the place to be.

Whether it's timeliness, a lack of scouting of CAA/W&M caliber athletes, unfamiliarity with the admissions process, or a failure to convey a vision of how the recruit fits in, I am unsure. Bottom line is it isn't getting done. That's where my frustration lies. 2020 is important and I can see the importance of devoting attention towards it. But we are treating 2019 like we have a completed class rather than the 7 person hole that I see looking at the roster. I chuckled when I saw the post suggesting the plan was open try outs. If something doesn't change, we are likely heading towards them.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Old tribe - 05-14-2019 06:06 PM

(05-14-2019 12:37 PM)FauqDawg10 Wrote:  
(05-14-2019 11:01 AM)Tribester Wrote:  Signing period ends tomorrow for 19-20 right? So 6 walk ons next season is the plan?

Loewe, Jihar, Blair, AVV, Knight, with Scott backing up both guard spots and Mehkel playing spot minutes at the 5, and then...whoever looks best at the Rec on whatever day the coaches show up?

Normally I would say whoever's giving the best high fives but (a) I'm not sure there will be much to high-five about and (b) it looks like walk-ons are gonna actually have to play serious minutes if anyone gets here.

End of the signing period doesn’t mean the end of guys committing to schools. Just means they don’t sign a letter of intent. They just sign a scholarship agreement instead.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Old tribe - 05-14-2019 06:10 PM

(05-14-2019 12:52 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  I think it's a likely possibility that the staff came in with the intention to put resources towards the '20 class. I don't love it as a strategy but it certainly explains why we haven't seen a single offer in this year's recruiting class. (Would be nice for the staff/admin to just come out and say so. The rumor mill swirling around the program can't possibly be helping.)

As for the 9 players listed above, is there any real chance we land any of them? Is it possible that we've offered some of them but that hasn't made it's way onto social media? There are some very talented players up there that would be in line with what the previous staff was able to recruit (eg: Bruner is listed as a 3* recruit by some services). Hopefully someone with a better recruiting background knows how that would work out with the signing period ending tomorrow. Is everything officially finished tomorrow or is there another milestone down the road that the staff would be working towards?

See the post I just made. Guys can still sign after the end of the signing period. They just sign a scholarship agreement instead of a letter of intent.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - nj alum - 05-14-2019 06:10 PM

(05-14-2019 05:02 PM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  
(05-14-2019 04:22 PM)nj alum Wrote:  I just finished reading an article on a pay Purdue web site about Matt Painter, so I can’t link it.

The gist is this.

Purdue’s MBB program and Painter are one and the same. Painter is coming off his 14th season. Izzo has the longevity crown in the Big Ten; Painter is second.

Painter has never made the Final Four. He won’t be fired for that “sin”. Keady, his predecessor, never made the Final Four, either. Keady wasn’t fired, and retired gracefully.

Purdue’s recruiting is off the charts right now ... due in large part to program stability.

William and Mary threw all of that away. W&M basically has no MBB program at the moment because Dane, the face of the program, is basically an unknown ... hence the recruiting woes.

The AD was looking to replace Tony with a “name”, it didn’t materialize, and it all blew up. Recruiting is back to square one. The returning team has been hit with a slew of transfers.

—————————————————

You simply can't compare Shaver to Painter. In 15 seasons at Purdue, Painter went 321-159. He won the Big 10 regular season championship 3x and went to the NCAA tournament 11x. In 16 seasons, Tony went 226-268, won 1 regular season championship and never went to the NCAAs.

This is the comparison.

Purdue’s Holy Grail is the Final Four. W&M’s Holy Grail is to make the Dance.

The Purdue naysayers fashioned an argument questioning how a coach, who has Painter’s record and players, can’t make the Final Four, and wanted him canned. The Indians’ naysayers fashioned an argument questioning how a coach, who has a UNC transfer, a UCF transfer, an NBA center, etc., can’t win the conference/make the Dance, and wanted him canned.

The difference?

Purdue’s second year AD didn’t lose his head, and commit a major screw-up. Maybe his extensive prior AD experience came into play.

Regardless, Painter is still at Purdue, and the recruiting is exceptional right now. Tony is no longer at W&M, and the recruiting, WHICH HASN’T BEEN AN ISSUE for at least 12 years, is now an issue. Imagine that?

—————————————————

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - zablenoise - 05-14-2019 06:45 PM

(05-14-2019 06:10 PM)Old tribe Wrote:  
(05-14-2019 12:52 PM)zablenoise Wrote:  I think it's a likely possibility that the staff came in with the intention to put resources towards the '20 class. I don't love it as a strategy but it certainly explains why we haven't seen a single offer in this year's recruiting class. (Would be nice for the staff/admin to just come out and say so. The rumor mill swirling around the program can't possibly be helping.)

As for the 9 players listed above, is there any real chance we land any of them? Is it possible that we've offered some of them but that hasn't made it's way onto social media? There are some very talented players up there that would be in line with what the previous staff was able to recruit (eg: Bruner is listed as a 3* recruit by some services). Hopefully someone with a better recruiting background knows how that would work out with the signing period ending tomorrow. Is everything officially finished tomorrow or is there another milestone down the road that the staff would be working towards?

See the post I just made. Guys can still sign after the end of the signing period. They just sign a scholarship agreement instead of a letter of intent.
Great info! Thanks for the heads up OT!

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - HoopManVA - 05-15-2019 08:07 AM

No compelling story. Forget WM degree, 18yos don't value aa much as parents. With Elon as an example. New coach from power 5 conference. Got our assistant with the best basketball pedigree in my opinion. New facility for only basketball. Compare that to Kaplan, assistant coach now head from A10 conference. Any recruit would wonder why we couldn't convince anyone to stay, and we can't sign a new one. That's tough if we compete against any school in any conference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Old tribe - 05-15-2019 11:03 PM

(05-15-2019 08:07 AM)HoopManVA Wrote:  No compelling story. Forget WM degree, 18yos don't value aa much as parents. With Elon as an example. New coach from power 5 conference. Got our assistant with the best basketball pedigree in my opinion. New facility for only basketball. Compare that to Kaplan, assistant coach now head from A10 conference. Any recruit would wonder why we couldn't convince anyone to stay, and we can't sign a new one. That's tough if we compete against any school in any conference.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Just because a new coach was an assistant at a P5 it doesn’t make him better than an assistant from a non-P5. It wasn’t that long ago we hired a P5 assistant from the very school that Schrage came from. We all know how that turned out. There are high school coaches that are better basketball coaches than some P5 assistants.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-16-2019 05:19 AM

Ben Wight has started following the WMTribeMBB account and AD Huge is following him.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 05:22 AM

(05-16-2019 05:19 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Ben Wight has started following the WMTribeMBB account and AD Huge is following him.
The AD is following a recruit? That's kind of weird.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribal - 05-16-2019 05:34 AM

(05-16-2019 05:22 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(05-16-2019 05:19 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Ben Wight has started following the WMTribeMBB account and AD Huge is following him.
Probably so she can DM him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-16-2019 05:38 AM

(05-16-2019 05:34 AM)Tribal Wrote:  

She can only DM him if he follows back. Regardless I think it is a positive sign.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 05:40 AM

It just seems odd. Coaches follow players all the time. I've never seen an AD follow a non committed/enrolled athlete.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-16-2019 05:45 AM

(05-16-2019 05:40 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  

It just seems odd. Coaches follow players all the time. I've never seen an AD follow a non committed/enrolled athlete.

So again maybe it’s a good sign. WMTribeMBB is the 17th account Wight has followed; the 15th account was Ohio Men’s Basketball presumably when he committed in the fall.

AD Huge did follow Josh Oduro when WM was courting him - that was the only other time I’ve seen her do it.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-16-2019 05:48 AM

Coach Kemp is now following 6’8 Elias King of Carmichael, CA. VC lists offers from Northeastern and UC Santa Barbara. I saw on twitter that Elon, Colgate, and UC Irvine are still very interested and that he is taking (or already took) an official to Elon this week.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vo65Q_WAA00

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - TribeFan1983 - 05-16-2019 07:32 AM

(05-14-2019 06:10 PM)nj alum Wrote:  
(05-14-2019 05:02 PM)TribeFan1983 Wrote:  

The gist is this.

—————————————————

This is the comparison.

Purdue’s Holy Grail is the Final Four. W&M’s Holy Grail is to make the Dance.

The Purdue naysayers fashioned an argument questioning how a coach, who has Painter’s record and players, can’t make the Final Four, and wanted him canned. The Indians’ naysayers fashioned an argument questioning how a coach, who has a UNC transfer, a UCF transfer, an NBA center, etc., can’t win the conference/make the Dance, and wanted him canned.

The difference?

Purdue’s second year AD didn’t lose his head, and commit a major screw-up. Maybe his extensive prior AD experience came into play.

Regardless, Painter is still at Purdue, and the recruiting is exceptional right now. Tony is no longer at W&M, and the recruiting, WHICH HASN’T BEEN AN ISSUE for at least 12 years, is now an issue. Imagine that?

—————————————————

Making the NCAA tournament shouldn't be our "Holy Grail;" it should be a fairly routine achievement. The CAA is a second rate conference. Tony could not win its hoops tournament, even once, despite 16 years of trying. He lost to Elon and Radford at home, even with guys good enough to transfer to UNC & N'western. You can't fault the AD for refusing to accept more of that mediocrity moving forward.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-16-2019 08:15 AM

Can we try to keep threads on topic?

There are plenty of Shaver is the best/must go threads.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - nj alum - 05-16-2019 08:27 AM

2019 Men’s Basketball Recruiting has been negatively affected by the firing of Tony Shaver. Recruiting hasn’t been a problem for at least 12 years. It remains to be seen how long the Shaver firing will affect future recruiting classes, and/or when, if ever, Indians’ MBB recruiting will reach the level of recruiting in the Shaver era.

For a comparison on how the decision to fire / retain a head coach affects recruiting, see Purdue as an example.

How’s that?

:-)

———————————————

The firing of Tony Shaver- the shame of William and Mary and the bane of MBB recruiting