CSNbbs
2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting (/thread-811241.html)

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - tribalwarfare - 05-07-2019 08:49 AM

(05-07-2019 07:50 AM)Zorch Wrote:  Anyone else on here concerned that the names of our "peer" institutions (as far as recruiting goes) have dipped significantly since the changeover? The posts immediately above highlight what i mean: UMASS-Lowell, Presbyterian, Belmont Abbey, Newberry (BELMONT ABBEY, NEWBERRY -- seriously??). I get the ones from Ohio since Kemp came from there ...but these other sorts of schools are NOT our peers in basketball.

Yes, made this comment earlier I think in this thread. There is a notable difference in peer schools, both in basketball stature and, more importantly, in academic quality.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-07-2019 05:13 PM

(06-14-2018 11:21 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Julian Boatner now following 6’2” G Shykeim Phillips of Winterville, NC (high school teammates with aforementioned Luke Davis). He holds offers from Kent State, ODU, and ECU.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9094533/5a52bc445ef70427fc5bb767

Phillips commits to UNCW.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - tribeintexas - 05-07-2019 05:51 PM

I know this staff was just assembled, but I am beginning to worry about our team. What is going on?????

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - billymac - 05-07-2019 06:33 PM

Yeah, you have to figure the "blind squirrel" theory has to kick in pretty soon...

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - zablenoise - 05-07-2019 09:57 PM

(05-07-2019 05:13 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  
(06-14-2018 11:21 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Julian Boatner now following 6’2” G Shykeim Phillips of Winterville, NC (high school teammates with aforementioned Luke Davis). He holds offers from Kent State, ODU, and ECU.

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/9094533/5a52bc445ef70427fc5bb767

Phillips commits to UNCW.

2 years in a row they've snagged a PG I wanted for us.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-08-2019 05:28 AM

(05-07-2019 06:48 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Coach Kemp and 6’5” Donovan Ivory of Kaukauna, WI are now following each other. He holds offers from Milwaukee and UMass-Lowell. Previously committed to Minnesota-Duluth.

https://www.prephoops.com/2019/03/senior-highlights-donovan-ivory/

Ivory commits to UMass-Lowell.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-08-2019 07:49 AM

I am trying to be patient, and I get that I am not privy to everything moving behind the scenes, but what are we doing? We have between 6 and 9 scholarship players returning. That leaves anywhere from 4-7 available scholarships. We have zero public offers or official visits out there. We should be casting a wide and aggressive 2019 net. Can these coaches recruit? There are few schools that offer as much opportunity to play as a freshman. At a minimum, they should have been full court press on all of the previously offered 2019s. Didn't see any of that. So, a future All-CAA guard in Phillips is headed to UNCW without a fight. All I see are some Twitter follows with no signs of a serious recruiting effort. Where is the pulse? Sell the school and the plans for the program. Right now W&M has the feel of a place no one wants to be at.

I don't want to hear responses about firing Shaver as the reason. That's done. I'm talking about moving forward. This is all about the new staff. Again, I may have no clue to the actual goings on inside, but the view looking in feels like a less than aggressive staff at a time when they should be kicking and clawing for survival. I'm sure Dane is overwhelmed right now and I want to give a little slack, but he needs to establish a direction of travel and get the car in gear. This idling in neutral isn't getting us anywhere.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - wml33t - 05-08-2019 08:00 AM

(05-08-2019 07:49 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I am trying to be patient, and I get that I am not privy to everything moving behind the scenes, but what are we doing? We have between 6 and 9 scholarship players returning. That leaves anywhere from 4-7 available scholarships. We have zero public offers or official visits out there. We should be casting a wide and aggressive 2019 net. Can these coaches recruit? There are few schools that offer as much opportunity to play as a freshman. At a minimum, they should have been full court press on all of the previously offered 2019s. Didn't see any of that. So, a future All-CAA guard in Phillips is headed to UNCW without a fight. All I see are some Twitter follows with no signs of a serious recruiting effort. Where is the pulse? Sell the school and the plans for the program. Right now W&M has the feel of a place no one wants to be at.

I don't want to hear responses about firing Shaver as the reason. That's done. I'm talking about moving forward. This is all about the new staff. Again, I may have no clue to the actual goings on inside, but the view looking in feels like a less than aggressive staff at a time when they should be kicking and clawing for survival. I'm sure Dane is overwhelmed right now and I want to give a little slack, but he needs to establish a direction of travel and get the car in gear. This idling in neutral isn't getting us anywhere.

This has been said elsewhere on the boards, but look no further than the football program. The energy and excitement with the staffs is completely different. Even our old basketball staff, which was fairly subdued, had more presence/energy.

Same as you, moving passed the past..... I'm growing increasingly antsy/worried about the lack of... anything.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribe32 - 05-08-2019 08:01 AM

Well, the guy from Mason told us that Fischer can't recruit. I've got no clue on the guy from Winthrop. Looks like Kemp is trying hard. So maybe they are just throwing in the towel on freshmen recruits. We have two walk on players from last year. Maybe they are sticking around. Reality is that we need to field practices and have enough players to play in the games. It might be messy. If we do have Knight and Van Vliet back, that should be tough to defend. Have a pressure defense and try to win ugly.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - LeadBolt - 05-08-2019 08:06 AM

(05-08-2019 07:49 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  I am trying to be patient, and I get that I am not privy to everything moving behind the scenes, but what are we doing? We have between 6 and 9 scholarship players returning. That leaves anywhere from 4-7 available scholarships. We have zero public offers or official visits out there. We should be casting a wide and aggressive 2019 net. Can these coaches recruit? There are few schools that offer as much opportunity to play as a freshman. At a minimum, they should have been full court press on all of the previously offered 2019s. Didn't see any of that. So, a future All-CAA guard in Phillips is headed to UNCW without a fight. All I see are some Twitter follows with no signs of a serious recruiting effort. Where is the pulse? Sell the school and the plans for the program. Right now W&M has the feel of a place no one wants to be at.

AMEN! PREACH IT BROTHER!

When I think of recruiting effort I remember the story of how Lefty went after Terry Holland to come to Davison before it established a good basketball tradition and he had no budget to speak of.

A basketball tradition can be established at W&M, as it was at Davidson, but there needs to be a ton of effort and shoe leather put in to do so.

BTW, I know times have changed and recruiting methods are vastly different now than then and I'm not suggesting that our coaches use his approach from 50 yrs ago, but rather the determination, persistence and level of effort that Lefty put forth at that point in his career needs to be the standard that our guys need to be exerting at this time in what is a similar quest to elevate a program.

This may be happening, but evidence is not apparent at this time.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-08-2019 08:06 AM

(05-08-2019 08:01 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Well, the guy from Mason told us that Fischer can't recruit.

I'm guessing autocorrect got you. I thought that recruiting was supposed to be a Fischer strength.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribe32 - 05-08-2019 08:24 AM

You are correct. It was Paulsen who he called out. Fischer recruits zero and one star gym rats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WMInTheBurg - 05-08-2019 08:24 AM

(05-08-2019 08:06 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(05-08-2019 08:01 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Well, the guy from Mason told us that Fischer can't recruit.

I'm guessing autocorrect got you. I thought that recruiting was supposed to be a Fischer strength.

He's talking about the GMU fan that posted about Fischer and Paulsen's strengths being finding 0-1 star gym rat recruits and turning them into all-conference players.

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - zablenoise - 05-08-2019 08:38 AM

I can understand no commitments at this point. The staff stepped into a tough situation and the program is a little shaky. But no offers is unacceptable.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-08-2019 09:56 AM

Yeah, I get the no commitments. It just feels like we are a step slow on everything. I'll see the coaches showing interest in a 2019 recruit, go to research the player and see that all of our peer schools have already offered. Still no W&M offer and probably too late to the party even if we offered. Everything seems so reactive and nothing proactive

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - billymac - 05-08-2019 10:33 AM

(05-08-2019 09:56 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  Yeah, I get the no commitments. It just feels like we are a step slow on everything. I'll see the coaches showing interest in a 2019 recruit, go to research the player and see that all of our peer schools have already offered. Still no W&M offer and probably too late to the party even if we offered. Everything seems so reactive and nothing proactive

Well, an obvious problem was when a lot of these kids were getting offers, we already had a commit and only one free schollie, so we were being VERY careful with who we offered. Now, that seems like a mistake, but we were really being position specific then.

Secondly, most of our experienced recruiters are not using their recruiting contacts for us. (Elon does have a couple recent recruits). Many of the recruits previously chased by the new hires may not fit the W&M profile.

In my opinion, Coach Fischer ought to be on the road, constantly, with Julian. He has the long time contacts with people who have been recruited by us for this class and had some interest in coming to W&M. If anyone is going to be able to get a player late, it will be Julian with one of those guys he has been following all year.

Also, we are probably being counter-recruited by coaches with rumors about how bad it has gotten at W&M, even if it is just unsubstantiated rumors. You use what is out there.

I, too, am a bit surprised that they are not throwing out, at least, a few offers, but I have to hope there is a plan in place.

I hope...

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-08-2019 10:45 AM

I agree. Dane and Julian could focus on the 2019s. Let Kemp and Howland start working the 2020s

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - TribePride91 - 05-08-2019 10:55 AM

I hear you, Mr. J. At least in the past 6-7 years, not only did Coach Holmes, Kimble, Boatner and Shaver recruit tirelessly, they likely had some help from the current players and former players with positive things to say about the school and the program. Now, we are totally starting over. None of the guys, save Julian, has any even potential relationship with the guys we were after. Add to that the negative press from many respected people and the potential that most or nearly all of the top guys from last year's team are leaving(likely I guess not certain) and it is about as hard as it gets for new recruits. The truth is that the staff likely already knows who is returning and who is not. We just don't know it officially yet. If Chase and LJ truly wanted to stay, they would have likely withdrawn their names from the portal by now. You cannot fault LJ, Chase, Nathan or anyone else if they do something else at this point. Their only public comments have been very respectful and kind about W&M and also their prior coaches. If no other school makes an offer to them, then they can return it appears. I expect that there are offers, so I expect they are both gone. It has been a month since the announcement of Coach Fischer. Their withdrawal of their names from the portal or the draft also sends a message to potential recruits. Nathan was likely declaring for the draft either way, but his return does depend some on what he returns to. But, they owe us nothing. Any semblance of that(if it ever existed) ended when the coaches got fired and the team began breaking up.
None of the guys on the new staff had any prior relationship with each other. It is a massive tall task for which there was likely little or no advance preparation.

Not that it is totally similar, but when Mike Young ended up at Tech, he basically had contacts already set for several players. Are guys recruited for the old school the same as Tech? No. It represents a chance to play for the coach that recruited them at an ACC school. Also, Young had recent success and Tech has great consistent exposure. But, in our situation, if Dane were reaching out for guys that Mason recruited, he is competing with Paulson. Paulson has head coaching experience and Dane doesn't. A lot of kids now play for the coach more than the school. Seems to me like 2019 is going to be a total dumpster fire and it might take a lot of effort to get a good class for 2020 at this point. But our standards for players are likely going to be much different in the short-term than they were 6 months ago. Detractors can say what they want about Shaver's record, but it is hard to argue that Shaver/Kimble/Holmes got a lot of good players beyond what I was used to watching Tribe basketball.

If they know 2019 is going to be very rough, they might be making a tactical decision already to focus on 2020. I am certain that an announcement would be made immediately if there were any good news to report. It might be as simple as all our competitors were on lap 2 of the process when Dane was able to get started. Hopefully, proactive comes with the 2020 group.

The football staff has been amazing in their approach. I give full credit to Coach London and staff, but also the timing was much, much better for them. Also, Coach London has been an outstanding recruiter wherever he has been.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 05-08-2019 11:10 AM

Coach Howland has started following 6’6 Hunter Woods of Pasadena, CA. He’s taken recent officials to Drexel and GMU plus just picked up an offer from Elon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QmrvDPIEs

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 05-08-2019 11:50 AM

(05-08-2019 11:10 AM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Coach Howland has started following 6’6 Hunter Woods of Pasadena, CA. He’s taken recent officials to Drexel and GMU plus just picked up an offer from Elon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h2QmrvDPIEs
Nice looking athlete. But, late to the party...