CSNbbs
2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting (/thread-811241.html)

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - nogretheogre - 02-28-2019 11:42 AM

(02-28-2019 06:14 AM)bubbadog57 Wrote:  One other note of interest for Tribe fans...Tony says that Omar is tearing it up over in Europe;
is a star over there.

Looks like he is trademarking a white guy headband thing over there.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 03-02-2019 07:21 AM

Northeastern picks up their second commit (CAA’s 19th I think) with a commit from Quirin Emanga from Wissembourg, France.

@DraftExpress tweets:

“6'5 2019 wing Quirin Emanga has committed to Northeastern, a source told ESPN. Former national team player with a 7-foot wingspan has seen real minutes in Germany's first division and the FIBA Champions League with Ludwigsburg. Had quite a few college offers including high majors”

For what it’s worth Jonathan Holmes had followed a couple of these European basketball twitter accounts in the last month but since I couldn’t make an educated guess on what player was the target I didn’t post. But the Tribe could be looking overseas too.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - tribetime10 - 03-02-2019 12:05 PM

Jamison Glover's brother received a full ride academic scholarship to W&M.

https://twitter.com/__23___/status/1101516715362529281

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - billymac - 03-02-2019 12:44 PM

Congrats!!

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribeheart - 03-02-2019 12:47 PM

(02-12-2019 09:16 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Austin Shaver now following 6’10” F Jacco Fritz of the Netherlands who is currently doing a post grad year at DME Academy.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LwQQEyWBVig

This would be a great late addition, if we could pull it off.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Tribeheart - 03-02-2019 01:07 PM

I know it wouldn't help us long term, but I hope they are still possibly involved with Nate Sestina as a post grad transfer. He's had a really good year, and besides giving us the depth to play two big men together next year, he would bring that much more leadership for next year's run.

Footage from his senior game intro this afternoon with a surprise appearance from his Marine brother in their home game against Army. Good stuff.
https://twitter.com/Bucknell_MBB/status/1101891474302648320?s=20

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 03-04-2019 07:36 PM

Elon picks up a commitment from 6’3” PG Ade Adebayo, originally from Nigeria but currently playing in the UK. He also had an offer from Montana State according to Verbal Commits. This is Elon’s second commit; their first one was 6’11” Goran Miladinovic from Montenegro.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Blow Gym rat - 03-04-2019 07:58 PM

I hereby volunteer to be Tony’s recruiting liaison to my favorite European country, our new NATO ally (and home to many very tall people and a great water polo team), Montenegro.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WillaMary08 - 03-05-2019 11:32 AM

Cameron Brown chosen for the DMVelite Nations Classic All Star Game:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NationsClassic_/status/1102939028779868161

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 03-05-2019 11:42 AM

No additional tweets or talk regarding unsigned PG Shykeim Phillips. I would LOVE to add him to this class.

-Effective 3pt shooter and scorer
-High level ball handler
-High level defender
-Deadly in transition.
-3 year starter with a 71-4 record. Winner.
-Played in high level HS program and should be ready to help early.

I have no clue whether there is any real interest on his part. It seems he was very under recruited for a while, but more and more D1 programs are getting involved. Especially for next year's team, I can't think of a more important addition than an impactful PG.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - zablenoise - 03-05-2019 12:46 PM

(03-05-2019 11:42 AM)mrjoolius Wrote:  No additional tweets or talk regarding unsigned PG Shykeim Phillips. I would LOVE to add him to this class.

-Effective 3pt shooter and scorer
-High level ball handler
-High level defender
-Deadly in transition.
-3 year starter with a 71-4 record. Winner.
-Played in high level HS program and should be ready to help early.

I have no clue whether there is any real interest on his part. It seems he was very under recruited for a while, but more and more D1 programs are getting involved. Especially for next year's team, I can't think of a more important addition than an impactful PG.

I'm with you. I absolutely love his film and would like to see him in green and gold. Of particular concern to me is that I'm seeing offers from Towson and Elon. He's not a guy I want to be playing against at least twice a year.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - tribeinexile - 03-05-2019 03:14 PM

I’m gorging this week on replays of games I missed over the last couple of weeks. My impression is that if Shaver is all in on next year he’ll look for a grad transfer big man. Knight needs a backup badly and if Harvey isn’t able to beat out Rowley for minutes in the post this year, it suggests he has has a long way to go. (Still love his potential.)

OTOH, I think of Shaver as a program builder and I think he’ll shoot for a player who has eligibility in 20-21 and perhaps beyond.

I am interested in the thinking of those who believe that a Freshman PG wcould help us more in 19-20 than another interior player would. Loewe is progressing and Scott was showing potential before he was hurt. It would have to be a remarkable recruit to come in as a freshman and outplay those guys.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - zablenoise - 03-05-2019 03:40 PM

(03-05-2019 03:14 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I’m gorging this week on replays of games I missed over the last couple of weeks. My impression is that if Shaver is all in on next year he’ll look for a grad transfer big man. Knight needs a backup badly and if Harvey isn’t able to beat out Rowley for minutes in the post this year, it suggests he has has a long way to go. (Still love his potential.)

OTOH, I think of Shaver as a program builder and I think he’ll shoot for a player who has eligibility in 20-21 and perhaps beyond.

I am interested in the thinking of those who believe that a Freshman PG wcould help us more in 19-20 than another interior player would. Loewe is progressing and Scott was showing potential before he was hurt. It would have to be a remarkable recruit to come in as a freshman and outplay those guys.
I think it all depends on what kind of identity Tony wants the team to have. If he wants the run and gun high flying seasons of the last few years (I'd say last 3) then we need a quick, pass first PG. If he's content with a more defensive, interior based team like we've morphed into this season then I say get the back up big.

Both are good options imo.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 03-05-2019 04:06 PM

(03-05-2019 03:14 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I am interested in the thinking of those who believe that a Freshman PG wcould help us more in 19-20 than another interior player would. Loewe is progressing and Scott was showing potential before he was hurt. It would have to be a remarkable recruit to come in as a freshman and outplay those guys.

We have seen this season that an impactful freshman guard can change things around in a hurry. There are a number of high impact freshman guards around the CAA. We have also seen what this offense is capable of when the point guard attacks and prevents defenses from overextending the wings. An offense where the defense is forced back on its heels and the perimeter guys can play from their comfort spots. A guy like Phillips would also continue our trend towards a decent defensive unit as well--which is exciting.

I think I'm looking mainly beyond 19-20. It's not reasonable to expect a freshman, guard or big, to be the difference maker next year. Next season, though more inside depth would be great, we are blessed with the top interior talent in the CAA. I expect Nate to pick up where he left off this year--favorite for conference POY. All reports are that Van Vliet is a matchup nightmare. I expect Harvey to make the normal strides between frosh/soph seasons. The questions marks for me all fall on production from the point. I think Loewes improvement has been notable and I think he will be valuable, but he is easily the most upgradable spot on the team.

Bottom line. I'd be pleased with another big or an athletic guard. I think an athletic guard that plays the way we need would pay dividends sooner next season. I could see a talented PG stealing minutes next season. I have a hard time seeing a freshman big stealing minutes from any of the big 3. A talented grad transfer big is a different story. I'd be all in Sestina. He would make an impact. Adding a guy like Phillips paired next to Chase would be a scary amount of perimeter athleticism and quickness.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Biggjohn43 - 03-05-2019 04:46 PM

(03-05-2019 04:06 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(03-05-2019 03:14 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  I am interested in the thinking of those who believe that a Freshman PG wcould help us more in 19-20 than another interior player would. Loewe is progressing and Scott was showing potential before he was hurt. It would have to be a remarkable recruit to come in as a freshman and outplay those guys.

We have seen this season that an impactful freshman guard can change things around in a hurry. There are a number of high impact freshman guards around the CAA. We have also seen what this offense is capable of when the point guard attacks and prevents defenses from overextending the wings. An offense where the defense is forced back on its heels and the perimeter guys can play from their comfort spots. A guy like Phillips would also continue our trend towards a decent defensive unit as well--which is exciting.

I think I'm looking mainly beyond 19-20. It's not
Jîreasonable to expect a freshman, guard or big, to be the difference maker next year. Next season, though more inside depth would be great, we are blessed with the top interior talent in the CAA. I expect Nate to pick up where he left off this year--favorite for conference POY. All reports are that Van Vliet is a matchup nightmare. I expect Harvey to make the normal strides between frosh/soph seasons. The questions marks for me all fall on production from the point. I think Loewes improvement has been notable and I think he will be valuable, but he is easily the most upgradable spot on the team.

Bottom line. I'd be pleased with another big or an athletic guard. I think an athletic guard that plays the way we need would pay dividends sooner next season. I could see a talented PG stealing minutes next season. I have a hard time seeing a freshman big stealing minutes from any of the big 3. A talented grad transfer big is a different story. I'd be all in Sestina. He would make an impact. Adding a guy like Phillips paired next to Chase would be a scary amount of perimeter athleticism and quickness.

Don't forget, we actually have 2 scholarships that we can give. If the right two guys come along, I am sure Tony would gladly give out both scolly's!! Why not one big and a very dynamic PG.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - mrjoolius - 03-05-2019 04:49 PM

(03-05-2019 04:46 PM)Biggjohn43 Wrote:  

Jîreasonable to expect a freshman, guard or big, to be the difference maker next year. Next season, though more inside depth would be great, we are blessed with the top interior talent in the CAA. I expect Nate to pick up where he left off this year--favorite for conference POY. All reports are that Van Vliet is a matchup nightmare. I expect Harvey to make the normal strides between frosh/soph seasons. The questions marks for me all fall on production from the point. I think Loewes improvement has been notable and I think he will be valuable, but he is easily the most upgradable spot on the team.

Don't forget, we actually have 2 scholarships that we can give. If the right two guys come along, I am sure Tony would gladly give out both scolly's!! Why not one big and a very dynamic PG.
If there are truly 2 remaining schollys, my vote would be a freshman guard and a grad transfer big. I think both, along with Brown, could meaningfully contribute. Of course, having a freshman big to compete against our seniors would be huge for future years.

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - tribe_pride - 03-05-2019 05:00 PM

Unless you are including Cameron Brown, we only have 1 to give I believe.

Next year Sr status is
Milon
Pierce
Knight
Van Vliet
Next year JR status is
Loewe
Williams
Next year So status is
Owens
Scott
Audige
Blair
Harvey
Next Year FR status is
Brown

That is 12 of 13 right there. Only have 1 to go unless one in that group of schollys is leaving

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - Biggjohn43 - 03-05-2019 05:49 PM

(03-05-2019 05:00 PM)tribe_pride Wrote:  

Unless you are including Cameron Brown, we only have 1 to give I believe.

Next year Sr status is
Milon
Pierce
Knight
Van Vliet
Next year JR status is
Loewe
Williams
Next year So status is
Owens
Scott
Audige
Blair
Harvey
Next Year FR status is
Brown

That is 12 of 13 right there. Only have 1 to go unless one in that group of schollys is leaving
I stand corrected. I was going by Verbal Commits, a foolish thing to do. They said we have 2 left. Seems they didn't count Van Vliet!!

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WM Beancounter - 03-05-2019 08:50 PM

Maybe Jack Whitman will come back

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

RE: 2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting - WMInTheBurg - 03-05-2019 10:02 PM

(03-05-2019 08:50 PM)WM Beancounter Wrote:  Maybe Jack Whitman will come back

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Wouldn't he have to sit a year after transferring back from Kansas?