CSNbbs
JMU Part 2 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: JMU Part 2 (/thread-809109.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

JMU Part 2 - Naptown Tribe - 02-14-2017 05:35 PM

Gotta get the Dukes on Thursday night. Would love to continue to build confidence heading down the home stretch here.

Let's keep it going. Hopefully our guys are over the flu and the nagging injuries are feeling better.

Go Tribe!

RE: JMU Part 2 - LeadBolt - 02-14-2017 06:12 PM

I'm not sure I can make it, but I'm hoping to get up to JMU to see the game Thursday. Does anyone know how practical it will be just to walk up and buy a ticket?

RE: JMU Part 2 - billymac - 02-14-2017 07:08 PM

Yeah, you should be able to. It's not as tough a ticket as it used to be.

RE: JMU Part 2 - TribePride52 - 02-14-2017 09:23 PM

We badly need this game.

RE: JMU Part 2 - hktribefan - 02-15-2017 08:56 AM

(02-14-2017 06:12 PM)LeadBolt Wrote:  I'm not sure I can make it, but I'm hoping to get up to JMU to see the game Thursday. Does anyone know how practical it will be just to walk up and buy a ticket?

A friend and I went up there last year when their team was good on a Saturday afternoon; the arena was only half full and plenty of tickets. This year it's a weeknight and their team is a trainwreck.

RE: JMU Part 2 - Rocco - 02-15-2017 09:37 AM

JMU's offense is 289th in KenPom, and 9th in pts/game in CAA play at 64.4. W&M's defense is 257th in KenPom and 9th in pts/game in CAA play at 77.3. Stoppable force versus movable object.

On the flip side JMU's defense has only given up 65.9 pts/game in the CAA. Part of that is due to their slow pace- they're 336th in tempo this year. They're 8th in defending the 3 point line (opponents make ~36% of their threes). W&M has hit on about 40% of their threes in conference play.

RE: JMU Part 2 - zablenoise - 02-15-2017 10:27 AM

With JMU's pace we can't have any wasted possessions on offense. Misses are fine as long as we run the offense and look for good shots. If our offense clicks, their speed of play will definitely end up hurting them.

RE: JMU Part 2 - TribePride91 - 02-15-2017 10:27 AM

After the performances on the road this year, we cannot expect to win any game no matter how the other team is playing. I have never seen such a disparity between home and road. At home, we look like we could play with anyone. On the road, we look like we might lose to a high school team. We just need any road win, in whatever fashion. A win tomorrow would effectively move us out of consideration for any Friday night games in N Charleston. The Elon/Towson game is a huge one as well.

RE: JMU Part 2 - Sitting bull - 02-16-2017 06:11 AM

Tribe by 4 on the betting line.

If we are all healthy, this will be our first road game with everyone set in some time.

The team is aware of this albatross, Omar mentioned after the Charleston game.

RE: JMU Part 2 - Tribal - 02-16-2017 07:30 AM

Kent and Brown took it to us last game. Brown has since been elevated to starter. We need to check them and we must get better play from our bigs. I think we'll be okay but no easy W.

One Tribe. One Family.

RE: JMU Part 2 - Tribe32 - 02-16-2017 09:36 AM

Not having Dalembert will a) allow our bigs to be aggressive on offense, and b) hopefully end up with a deep bench back up entering the game due to fouls. Jack needs to make his free throws.

JMU is big and slow and plays hatchet basketball/football. We should try to run them out of the building and put on the same token pressure that we did with Charleston. If we limit their shot clock I don't see them creating a lot of shots. We just need to be patient on offense.

RE: JMU Part 2 - Blow Gym rat - 02-16-2017 09:38 AM

My impression has been that whenever the words "trainwreck" or "dumpster fire" turn up on these boards with regard to an upcoming opponent, the Tribe loses that game.

Maybe it's a karma thing.

RE: JMU Part 2 - Tribe32 - 02-16-2017 09:45 AM

I would say that JMU is in transition with everyone needing to buy in to Louis Rowe's style and approach. My guess is that they will be again a tough competitor in a year or two. This is somewhat a lost year for them given all of the turmoil, but I'm sure they would love to wreck us tonight.

RE: JMU Part 2 - zablenoise - 02-16-2017 10:07 AM

(02-16-2017 09:45 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I would say that JMU is in transition with everyone needing to buy in to Louis Rowe's style and approach. My guess is that they will be again a tough competitor in a year or two. This is somewhat a lost year for them given all of the turmoil, but I'm sure they would love to wreck us tonight.

It actually worries me how much success they've had (in conference anyway) in what was supposed to be a lost, transitional year. Rowe got the guys to buy in to his system and once he can start recruiting his own guys JMU may become a contender year in and year out.

RE: JMU Part 2 - HyperDuke - 02-16-2017 10:38 AM

(02-16-2017 10:07 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  It actually worries me how much success they've had (in conference anyway) in what was supposed to be a lost, transitional year. Rowe got the guys to buy in to his system and once he can start recruiting his own guys JMU may become a contender year in and year out.

Don't tell Hart Foundation or some of the others over on the JMU boards! I'm certainly not pleased with this year's product, but I know better than to decide a coach's worth in Year 1 with a bunch of dead-weight players.

JMU Part 2 - ocfrank - 02-16-2017 11:07 AM

I hope we don't have to deal with any 'th gs' in H'burg. That would be unsettling.

RE: JMU Part 2 - HyperDuke - 02-16-2017 12:08 PM

(02-16-2017 11:07 AM)ocfrank Wrote:  I hope we don't have to deal with any 'th gs' in H'burg. That would be unsettling.

03-confused03-confused

RE: JMU Part 2 - WM Beancounter - 02-16-2017 12:09 PM

Has Andre Nation been reinstated?

RE: JMU Part 2 - WMTRIBE75 - 02-16-2017 12:28 PM

(02-16-2017 09:36 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Not having Dalembert will a) allow our bigs to be aggressive on offense, and b) hopefully end up with a deep bench back up entering the game due to fouls. Jack needs to make his free throws.

JMU is big and slow and plays hatchet basketball/football. We should try to run them out of the building and put on the same token pressure that we did with Charleston. If we limit their shot clock I don't see them creating a lot of shots. We just need to be patient on offense.

Anyone who watched Duke beat UVA last night saw a perfect blueprint of what we need to do tonight to beat JMU on the road. Duke employed a token zone press for much of the night, not to create turnovers but instead to eat up a bunch of the shot clock and limit the amount of time that they had to be subjected to UVA's half court offense. Duke played solid half court defense, limited second shot opportunities, did not turn the ball over, and showed patience when they had the ball. The best way to speed up a team that controls clock is to eventually put them in a position where they have to speed up to catch up.

RE: JMU Part 2 - TribePride91 - 02-16-2017 03:54 PM

(02-16-2017 12:28 PM)WMTRIBE75 Wrote:  
(02-16-2017 09:36 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  Not having Dalembert will a) allow our bigs to be aggressive on offense, and b) hopefully end up with a deep bench back up entering the game due to fouls. Jack needs to make his free throws.

Anyone who watched Duke beat UVA last night saw a perfect blueprint of what we need to do tonight to beat JMU on the road. Duke employed a token zone press for much of the night, not to create turnovers but instead to eat up a bunch of the shot clock and limit the amount of time that they had to be subjected to UVA's half court offense. Duke played solid half court defense, limited second shot opportunities, did not turn the ball over, and showed patience when they had the ball. The best way to speed up a team that controls clock is to eventually put them in a position where they have to speed up to catch up.

To be fair, UVA's offense last night was horrific. But I see your point. I still think for the Tribe, work on the boards and effort on defense is the key. I have accepted that our defense will not be outstanding. It just needs to be good enough to create opportunities on misses to get out and run the floor on offense.

Most UVA fans wonder where their points are going to come from this year. Most of the time, we do not have to worry about that. Of course, the UVA defense is very, very good so they don't need to score in the 70's or 80's to win. I guess the analogy was based on Duke or Dukes as an opponent.

I am expecting a loss on the road tonight. Hoping I am wrong as I have usually been for nearly all road games this season. The only one I got right was Hofstra.