CSNbbs
Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? (/thread-803374.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - msm96wolf - 12-23-2016 11:03 AM

I really enjoy SBC football and think it is very underrated. With the right leadership, I think it could use the ACC P5 strategy for the G5. The ACC never tried to challenge the SEC and B10 for their spots, they wanted to be ahead of the P14 and B12.

So, I was just wondering, would the SBC reconsider their Football Only offer to NMSU and Idaho? To me a 12 team football conference makes more sense than 10. Go to 9 game schedule with no crossover rival. Years with 5 home games get an FCS home, G5 Away, P5 Payday game. Years with 4 homes do G5 Home, FCS Home and P5 Payday. I just took a stab of creating divisions and trying to keep as many rivalries together.

Troy - APP
USA - CCU
IU - NMSU
ULL - GSU
ULM - Ga St
ASU- Tx St

Thoughts?

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - AppinVA - 12-23-2016 11:10 AM

I have no issue with having Idaho and NM State in the league for football only. Once you get on a plane, does it really matter how far you're going?

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - Michael in Raleigh - 12-23-2016 11:47 AM

(12-23-2016 11:10 AM)AppinVA Wrote:  I have no issue with having Idaho and NM State in the league for football only. Once you get on a plane, does it really matter how far you're going?

Think about it from Doug Gillin's point of view, though. Wouldn't it just have made more sense for App to have played Arkansas State and South Alabama this year instead of Idaho and New Mexico State? Even adding Coastal into the mix, App would miss just one team of the other nine.

I hate it for NMSU and Idaho. This was never meant to last much beyond four years, though. Six years tops. They were eventually going to have to join the Mountain West, try their best at independence, drop to FCS, or just drop football.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - JCGSU - 12-23-2016 11:50 AM

More up to them and the P5. If the P5 gave us a million a team up to 12 instead of cutting it to 10M tops they might still be in.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - Steve1981 - 12-23-2016 11:55 AM

(12-23-2016 11:50 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  More up to them and the P5. If the P5 gave us a million a team up to 12 instead of cutting it to 10M tops they might still be in.
Believe the 1 million up to 12 teams is how it was originally set up. It was the G5 conferences that wanted more money to go into the best ranking teams of the G5 pot.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - LatahCounty - 12-23-2016 11:57 AM

(12-23-2016 11:55 AM)Steve1981 Wrote:  
(12-23-2016 11:50 AM)JCGSU Wrote:  More up to them and the P5. If the P5 gave us a million a team up to 12 instead of cutting it to 10M tops they might still be in.
Believe the 1 million up to 12 teams is how it was originally set up. It was the G5 conferences that wanted more money to go into the best ranking teams of the G5 pot.

Hey, that's OK. We help in performance money too.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - AppinVA - 12-23-2016 12:05 PM

(12-23-2016 11:47 AM)Michael in Raleigh Wrote:  
(12-23-2016 11:10 AM)AppinVA Wrote:  I have no issue with having Idaho and NM State in the league for football only. Once you get on a plane, does it really matter how far you're going?

Think about it from Doug Gillin's point of view, though. Wouldn't it just have made more sense for App to have played Arkansas State and South Alabama this year instead of Idaho and New Mexico State? Even adding Coastal into the mix, App would miss just one team of the other nine.

I hate it for NMSU and Idaho. This was never meant to last much beyond four years, though. Six years tops. They were eventually going to have to join the Mountain West, try their best at independence, drop to FCS, or just drop football.

If we were in two six team divisions, that wouldn't be a big problem. The money divided by 12 teams instead of 10 isn't that much, and can be recouped through divisional play.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - MWC Tex - 12-23-2016 12:20 PM

(12-23-2016 12:05 PM)AppinVA Wrote:  

If we were in two six team divisions, that wouldn't be a big problem. The money divided by 12 teams instead of 10 isn't that much, and can be recouped through divisional play.

Having 6 team divisions is better than 5 team divisions also.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - ericsaid - 12-23-2016 12:30 PM

Or try to convince Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, and maybe Portland State to re-create the WAC as a football conference.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - LatahCounty - 12-23-2016 12:37 PM

(12-23-2016 12:30 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  Or try to convince Montana, Montana State, North Dakota State, Eastern Washington, and maybe Portland State to re-create the WAC as a football conference.

When your friend from high school is 35 and still going on and on about his awesome job at the movie theater and living in his parents' basement it's time to give up on him.

That's Montana. They're never leaving mom's basement. They feel safe down there.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - NMSTFan - 12-23-2016 01:23 PM

Honestly, at this point I think Idaho is content with going to FCS. They have more rivals there and as long as their president is there they are not staying FBS unless the belt realizes what they are losing with UI and NMSU. Also, to the comments about Appy St not wanting to travel to NMSU and Idaho because it doesn't make sense? Is not any excuse, just remember the WAC dissolved because they wasn't enough D1 western teams, who's is to say that wouldn't happen to the Sun Belt? Also, UTEP is not happy in CUSA. I'm sure they'd be on board as long as NMSU is in its package.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - LatahCounty - 12-23-2016 01:26 PM

Chuck Staben might be, but "Idaho" is not content with going to FCS.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - NMSTFan - 12-23-2016 01:35 PM

UTEP and NMSU to sun belt. El Paso/Las Cruces offers 1 million plus and really good MBB tradition

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - NMSTFan - 12-23-2016 01:39 PM

appointing him president was UI descion. So he represent y'all as a whole because when all done and said he makes the big boy decisions.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - APPdiesel - 12-23-2016 01:40 PM

Let me preface by saying I'm proud as hell of Idaho, the season you've had, and the beat down you put on CSU last night......but (and I'm sure this is the way your president looks at it) 1 good season does not magically eliminate the real problems that are behind the step down....the meager budget, the abysmal fan support, the years of losing, the lack of facilities, or the recruiting disadvantages.

I hate it for you guys...I really do...I wish the MWC would get their heads out of their asses and invite you, but it's just not meant to be and your president made an extremely tough decision that's unpopular but for the best.

twitter.com/DieselOnRadio

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - LatahCounty - 12-23-2016 01:48 PM

(12-23-2016 01:39 PM)NMSTFan Wrote:  appointing him president was UI descion. So he represent y'all as a whole because when all done and said he makes the big boy decisions.

What? Do you know anything about how the UI hires presidents? The State gave us this guy.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - NMSTFan - 12-23-2016 01:54 PM

I agree with you ^^^ I'm so happy IDaho put the beat down to a broke back Moutain team. And honestly I believe I liked being in the Sun Belt a lot better than in the WAC. Sure we got to play BSU every now and then, however I feel like we fit in here more than y'all realize.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - msm96wolf - 12-23-2016 01:56 PM

The other idea would be go ahead and invite EKU and JMU as 11 and 12. With no crossover. Also good basketball adds.

Troy - APP
USA - CCU
TXSU- JMU
ULL - GSU
ULM - Ga St
ASU- EKU

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - NMSTFan - 12-23-2016 01:59 PM

(12-23-2016 01:48 PM)LatahCounty Wrote:  
(12-23-2016 01:39 PM)NMSTFan Wrote:  appointing him president was UI descion. So he represent y'all as a whole because when all done and said he makes the big boy decisions.

What? Do you know anything about how the UI hires presidents? The State gave us this guy.

Honestly, I know nothing about UI hires. I just assumed because he's calling the shots.

RE: Curious if the SBC would reconsider booting Idaho and NMSU? - NMSTFan - 12-23-2016 02:00 PM

(12-23-2016 01:56 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  The other idea would be go ahead and invite EKU and JMU as 11 and 12. With no crossover. Also good basketball adds.

Troy - APP
USA - CCU
TXSU- JMU
ULL - GSU
ULM - Ga St
ASU- EKU

Might aswell join FCS. If y'all do decided something like that.