CSNbbs
Hampton Critcical Early Game - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Hampton Critcical Early Game (/thread-800767.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Hampton Critcical Early Game - bubbadog57 - 12-01-2016 01:22 PM

There are good reasons why the game at Hampton Saturday at 4 PM is a critical game for our Tribe:

*We are 3-3 with no road wins...the team doesn't want to go into the two week exam break with a losing record and no road wins and have two weeks to stew over it.

*Hampton should be a win for us...the Pirates are a bad team this season.
Currently 1-6 including losses to Rider, Robert Morris, Stony Brook and East Carolina. Their only win was a one point (70-69) last second win over Div III Chowan at Hampton. That 70 points was Hampton's season high--
they are in the forties and fifties in five of theiir seven games.

A loss to Hampton would be devastating to the Tribe.

*Win the Hampton game and we're 4-3 with two seemingly secure home wins when we come out of the break over Milligan and Savannah State
to push our record to 6-3.

*We'll need to be 6-3 since we then have four consecutive backbreaking road games in ten days at Rhode Island, ODU, Northeastern and Hofstra. We'll all feel great winning two of those but we could do worse.
That's why 6-3, starting with Hampton, is critical.

*Hampton also gives Dan Dixon a chance to snap his slump, have a good game, and go into the break feeling good about his game. Not to mention the coaching staff and all of us out here!

We played a great first half at tough CMU, fell apart for twelve minutes in the second half, and lost. But Omar, Malinowski, Burchfield and Pierce played well...so let's see all the guys put it together and run Hampton out of their own gym early. We lost to them, by the way, with Marcus the last time we played there.

As I said, a critical game.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - zablenoise - 12-01-2016 01:38 PM

On paper this should be an easy win. But strange things have happened the last few times we were in their gym

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - WMTribe90 - 12-01-2016 01:39 PM

Not a critical game. A game we should win, but in no way critical as we are not in contention for an at-large. It's non-conference, so no implication for winning conference, automatic NIT, or conference tourney seeding. It's simply an oppprtunity to compete and improve, while picking up a win. No need to turn it into the Super Bowl. Opportunity to compete should be motivation enough for the team.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - ttgwm02 - 12-01-2016 05:53 PM

Agree this game is not critical long-term, as we have no chance of an at-large berth.

What is important is to be dominant for 40 minutes. We did not really compete with Louisville or Duke (in contrast to UVA last year, which I thought was a competitive game) and just got rolled by a fellow mid-major on the road.

Everyone who has watched this team seems the potential. I also don't think anyone on here disagrees with Tony's assessment that this team is not where it should be. Hampton is critical because it is a Division 1 opponent, on the road, that we should run over. Doing so would be a step in the right direction.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - WMTRIBE75 - 12-01-2016 06:14 PM

(12-01-2016 05:53 PM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  Agree this game is not critical long-term, as we have no chance of an at-large berth.

What is important is to be dominant for 40 minutes. We did not really compete with Louisville or Duke (in contrast to UVA last year, which I thought was a competitive game) and just got rolled by a fellow mid-major on the road.

Everyone who has watched this team seems the potential. I also don't think anyone on here disagrees with Tony's assessment that this team is not where it should be. Hampton is critical because it is a Division 1 opponent, on the road, that we should run over. Doing so would be a step in the right direction.

We should have rolled over Howard last year on the road and we lost. In spite of that embarrassing outcome, we still won 20 games and were within a couple of baskets in the Hofstra game in Baltimore of advancing to our third championship game in a row. We also lost on the road in Charleston by about 35 points during Marcus's junior year and lost both regular season games to Towson and Delaware, only to beat Charleston in the quarters, Towson in the semis, and lose the heartbreaker to Delaware on Monday night. My point here is that we all have to maintain a little perspective here. November does not impact March when it comes to the landscape that W&M currently competes on.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - Tribal - 12-02-2016 04:06 PM

A cursory review indicates all surnames were correctly spelled. I think we should acknowledge the progress vice nitpick the urgency of said message.

One Tribe. One Family.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - Tribe4SF - 12-02-2016 05:29 PM

(12-02-2016 04:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  A cursory review indicates all surnames were correctly spelled. I think we should acknowledge the progress vice nitpick the urgency of said message.

One Tribe. One Family.

Yeah, but no "social promotions" please. We still need to see if the Hens hire Mooney.

Hampton Critcical Early Game - ocfrank - 12-02-2016 09:00 PM

Let's hope for no kind of Howard redux. Not even a smell of it. We should whack these guys; no ifs, ands, or butt's. I know, I know.
This game is a reasonable yardstick on our post play. My expectation is positive. Let's not forget; it's a paint game!
Spank the Pirates.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - Tribe32 - 12-03-2016 08:31 AM

I think we may see Whitman and Knight go off today. Hampton is very small other than a couple tall kids who are string beans. The transfer from Towson is their best rebounder and he's 6'6"

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - nogretheogre - 12-03-2016 10:00 AM

$10 charge to stream a single game. MEAC needs to get with the program.

http://media.hamptonu.edu/piratetv/

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - billymac - 12-03-2016 10:59 AM

Quick Scout:

The Tribe needs to get off to a hot start this afternoon. This is a very young Hampton team (11 freshmen and sophs out of 15 players), who lost 4 starters from last year. They have not beaten a Division 1 team this season and have lost all 6 D-1 games by double digits. We do NOT want to let them think they can get their first D-1 win today.

They are led by a precocious freshman, Jermaine Marrow (6'0"), out of Heritage HS. He was the Eastern Virginia region Player of the Year last year and averages about 13.7 ppg. No one else scores in double figures, but Lawrence Cooks (the only returning starter), does average 9.0 ppg.

6'6" Forward AJ Astroth (transfer from Towson) and 6'9" Forward Charles Wilson-Fisher are their inside guys. They combine for 15 points and 12 rebounds per game.

This is an important game because this is the type game W&M teams have managed to lose in the past (read: Howard). We are supposed to win on paper, but they are hungry and have a very good scorer, who could go off for 30 points (read: Howard)

It's also important if (Heaven help us...), we make the NCAA Tournament, we don't want ANY "Bad Losses" that would lock us into a #16 seed. This would rank as a really bad loss, as this Hampton team will almost certainly struggle all season in this rebuilding year.
Actually, the next three games are all in this category. Any would be considered a "Bad Loss".

While I wouldn't call this game "critical", it IS an important game for obvious potential seeding reasons (which has nothing at all to do with any At-Large talk - but everything to do with a Duke rematch in the first week).

We need to just come out firing on all cylinders, with Omar leading the way, Daniel breaking out of his funk and the big guys dominating the boards.

Go Tribe!

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - zablenoise - 12-03-2016 01:07 PM

So there's no way to watch this?

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - billymac - 12-03-2016 01:43 PM

Hampton streaming. $10. Go to their Pirates website.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - TDenverFan - 12-03-2016 03:23 PM

Wonder how many people actually pay that much. You'd think a free stream that's advertisement heavy could generate about as much revenue

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - zablenoise - 12-03-2016 03:58 PM

I paid. But I'm not happy about it

Hampton Critcical Early Game - Tribeheart - 12-03-2016 04:07 PM

Anybody else having the same groundhog day technical issue I'm having?

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - billymac - 12-03-2016 04:08 PM

Looks like it might be very close to synched up with our radio. We should be able to listen to Jay and Charlie.

Actually, about 20 seconds difference. My bad. Never mind...

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - zablenoise - 12-03-2016 04:15 PM

I'm not even getting audio from the Hampton feed. Also the video isn't much either

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - billymac - 12-03-2016 04:19 PM

Pretty pitiful, actually.

RE: Hampton Critcical Early Game - billymac - 12-03-2016 04:23 PM

We are not very smooth early.