CSNbbs
Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: Drexel (/forum-681.html)
+----- Thread: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread (/thread-798582.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - J.B. - 03-08-2022 09:41 PM

They weren't even playing basketball. Every shot in last 4 minutes for both teams was from 30 feet away.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - dan10 - 03-09-2022 07:29 AM

I thought it was great from both teams on how it finished. Still got handshakes, nobody got hurt, nothing happened to start the craziness all over. Is holding the ball for 30 seconds fun, no, but it was a good way to ensure safety of everyone, while completing the game without a forfeit. There was tension long before tipoff with the students screaming expletives from mere feet away at the Wagner players while getting off the bus. Its a tough set up with a contentious game having students next to opposing families. Just tough all around. Should also note how awesome Bash was, wearing one of his injured players uniforms to show solidarity.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - JonP - 03-21-2022 09:54 AM

Damn I thought Ashley might have another year to turn things around.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - J.B. - 03-21-2022 10:17 AM

That's a shame. La Salle is probably one of the more impossible division I schools to win at. The school is having financial issues. The school's location is terrible. Hagan has got to be one of the least aesthetically pleasing gyms in college basketball, and they're not in position financially to build a new one. And they are clearly in over their heads competing in Atlantic 10. Good luck to Ashley in his next position. He'll have no problem getting a top level assistant's job.

Since leaving the MAAC in 1992, La Salle has had 2 postseason appearances (1 NIT and 1 NCAA) including that miracle run to the Sweet 16 in 2013. Just twice in the past 30 seasons have they won more than 10 conference games in a season. Clearly, their problems go far beyond who the coach is.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - JonP - 03-21-2022 04:30 PM

Saw an awesome stat on the St. Joe's boards, where they are melting down about their terrible season: La Salle under Ashley Howard was 7-3 against SJU and 38-68 against everyone else.

Oof.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - jcohen42 - 03-21-2022 11:02 PM

If Drexel doesn't have a good season in 22-23, and Ashley is still available, that should make Spiker's seat pretty toasty. I would LOVE for Ashley's second chance to be with the Dragons.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - Dragon For Life - 03-22-2022 01:00 AM

I could see Ahsley being an Assistant coach this year if he wants a job. Drexel needs a better recruiter.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - Timer - 04-11-2022 03:01 PM

Bashir moving from Wagner to St. Peters.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - Dragon For Life - 04-12-2022 03:27 AM

Lateral move but good for him.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - dan10 - 04-12-2022 02:36 PM

I am surprised he made that move. Obviously there is no higher point to go to St Peter's, and he is from there, however he will have a whole new team. I hope he can take the momentum and keep it going with better investment off their run, but moving to one of the smallest funded D1 programs seems risky for him. I feel like he could do better and I feel like Wagner is a better job than St Peter's. Wonder if after being so close so many times, he truly doesnt feel like it can happen for him at Wagner. Ironically the star player from St Peter's run transferred to Bryant, the team he lost to in the finals. So it sure doesnt feel lateral and feels like a small step down.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - JonP - 04-12-2022 03:47 PM

It does feel like a lateral move, but I don't see how you can call it a step down. The MAAC is better than the NEC all day, every day.

I know St. Peter's doesn't have a ton of resources, but I can't imagine Wagner is that much different.

Maybe St. Peter's is spending some of that sweet, sweet NCAA tourney money.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - dan10 - 04-13-2022 09:12 AM

(04-12-2022 03:47 PM)JonP Wrote:  It does feel like a lateral move, but I don't see how you can call it a step down. The MAAC is better than the NEC all day, every day.

As a conference sure. But is the bottom of the MAAC really an upgrade over the top of the NEC (where Bash has had them)? I am not so sure thats true. Even a middling MAAC feel lower than the very top of the NEC. Even the top of the NEC is moving to the AE over the MAAC (Bryant). I dont think the difference between those conference is as much as you think or want to think.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - J.B. - 04-13-2022 09:20 AM

Bryant finished in first place in the NEC and got a play in game. St. Peters finished in 2nd place in the MAAC and got a 15 seed. Just going by that, there's a significant difference between the MAAC and NEC. I always considered the NEC to be the bottom of the barrel of Division I along with the HBCU conferences. The MAAC always seems to float in that 15-20 range of the 32 conferences, and they're really not that far below the CAA.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - dan10 - 04-13-2022 09:26 AM

Not to derail, but I agree on the whole. But the MAAC is generally very top heavy that helps their numbers. St Peters had a remarkable year that they capped off with a crazy run. They lost their entire team, basically now. They likely will fall right back to being a middling or bottom MAAC team. I dont think anyone is arguing the NEC is good. The top teams are comparable to the middle and upper MAAC though, with a whole bunch of really bad dregs below them. And the MAAC has really been a one trick pony with Iona that inflates all of their numbers (much like the AE has with just Vermont).

In any case best of luck to Bash. I understand being home, but it feels like he could have done better on his next stop than St Peters. Curious if Bobby Jordan gets the bump at Wagner or if he sticks with Bash

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - hiroshimacarp - 04-13-2022 10:54 AM

i wouldn't want to be the guy coming in after a historic run like st. peter's just had. it could be big shoes to fill. hopefully the fan base is realistic about things.

i agree though...good luck to him. maybe he thought wagner had a ceiling which was keeping him from the tourney. iona might be a bigger hill to climb for the auto bid though.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - JonP - 03-02-2023 09:42 AM

Does Cam Wynter count as an alum? I say yes.

He hit a game-winning 3-pointer in OT last night. Penn St. is apparently on the bubble.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/35765292

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - dan10 - 03-02-2023 11:11 AM

He graduated, yes he counts

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - hiroshimacarp - 03-02-2023 02:49 PM

good to see him hit a big shot like that. it hasn't been an easy adjustment to the big 10 for him. his minutes got cut a few weeks ago. message seems to have been delivered. always felt like he scored a lot of points when it didn't matter and needed to be tougher. i went to the purdue game and he was overmatched in that game.

penn state is your basic mediocre power 5 team with maybe one good player that might make the ncaa tournament just because they're in the big 10. they're a different team if cam gets going so we'll see if it carries over into their conference tournament so maybe they can start a march run.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - JonP - 03-22-2023 12:24 PM

I completely missed that UNH fired Bill Herrion. I guess he was in the last year of his contract and wasn't surprised.

RE: Drexel Dragons Alumni Thread - J.B. - 03-22-2023 01:14 PM

(03-22-2023 12:24 PM)JonP Wrote:  I completely missed that UNH fired Bill Herrion. I guess he was in the last year of his contract and wasn't surprised.

Great article and lots of interesting quotes.
This is my favorite
Quote:“There’s no sour grapes, but I’m not gonna lie to you. Very hard job. I remember coming here as an opposing coach at Drexel and when you walk through the building, not much has changed.

Clearly there's sour grapes here. Division I college arenas have gone through some major transformations over 30+ years. We've seen it first hand at Drexel and just about everywhere in the country. If not much has changed at UNH in 30+ years, that's clearly a problem with their program up there and maybe says something as to why he couldn't win there.