CSNbbs
App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey (/thread-783567.html)

Pages: 1 2

App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - Yosef Himself - 07-05-2016 03:20 PM

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=21500&ATCLID=211048594

Quote:BOONE, N.C. — Appalachian State University and director of athletics Doug Gillin announced its acceptance as an affiliate member of the Mid-American Conference (MAC) for the sport of field hockey beginning in 2017-18 on Tuesday, July 5, 2016. Appalachian will become the eighth field hockey team in the league, as five of the MAC’s 12 member institutions currently sponsor the sport, including Miami (OH), Kent State, Central Michigan, Ohio and Ball State (Missouri State and Longwood are also affiliate members).

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - AppManDG - 07-05-2016 04:10 PM

I realize we had an alumna, the daughter-in-law of a very influential alumus, drop some coins on a new field, but it's past time to drop this sport. The last time I checked no public high school in the state of NC had a FH team. Since every scholarship is an out of state grant it costs the athletic department 3 times as much. That field could easily be converted to Lacrosse, a sport that is fielded by a large number of public high school's in NC.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - Bleeds_Purple - 07-05-2016 04:44 PM

Just the beginning ? lol

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - BurlingtonApp - 07-05-2016 05:53 PM

(07-05-2016 04:10 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I realize we had an alumna, the daughter-in-law of a very influential alumus, drop some coins on a new field, but it's past time to drop this sport. The last time I checked no public high school in the state of NC had a FH team. Since every scholarship is an out of state grant it costs the athletic department 3 times as much. That field could easily be converted to Lacrosse, a sport that is fielded by a large number of public high school's in NC.

There are plenty of field hockey teams in NC high schools.

Re: RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - AppfanInCAAland - 07-05-2016 05:54 PM

(07-05-2016 04:10 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I realize we had an alumna, the daughter-in-law of a very influential alumus, drop some coins on a new field, but it's past time to drop this sport. The last time I checked no public high school in the state of NC had a FH team. Since every scholarship is an out of state grant it costs the athletic department 3 times as much. That field could easily be converted to Lacrosse, a sport that is fielded by a large number of public high school's in NC.

My wife and daughters love field hockey (my 6 year old wants desperately to play FH at App would you believe), but we live in Virginia (I think may I signed something at the hospital when the girls were born that we would let them play FH). It is amazing to me how popular it is here virus just across the southern border. So I'm very glad our nomad team has found a home, but I agree the resources would be better spent on lacrosse - both mens and womens would be prefered but many schools in the SE have only women's. For title xi, I believe women's lacrosse has more scholarships than men's. At least I assume so because womens lacrosse has more players on the field than mens lacrosse.

But I don't know how easy a FH field could be converted to lacrosse, a LAx field is like twice the size of a FH field. And a different surface besides.

Congrats again on finding a home as imperfect as it may be.

App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - WolfBird - 07-05-2016 06:14 PM

Foot in the door!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - TroyFootball05 - 07-05-2016 06:22 PM

Looks like the apps will be moving along pretty soon.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - AppManDG - 07-05-2016 07:18 PM

(07-05-2016 05:53 PM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  

There are plenty of field hockey teams in NC high schools.

If so, the NCHSAA doesn't list it on their website, so there aren't enough to warrant awarding a state championship. Since 2007 we've had a grand total of 7 players fron NC on our roster. Four of them went to public schools and 3 of those to the same school. It's ridiculous to even consider keeping a sport where in the past 9 years only 2 NC public high schools were represented on App's roster.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - WesternSkillet - 07-05-2016 07:40 PM

Welcome to MAC (as an affiliate member).

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - mturn017 - 07-05-2016 09:51 PM

(07-05-2016 05:54 PM)AppfanInCAAland Wrote:  

My wife and daughters love field hockey (my 6 year old wants desperately to play FH at App would you believe), but we live in Virginia (I think may I signed something at the hospital when the girls were born that we would let them play FH). It is amazing to me how popular it is here virus just across the southern border. So I'm very glad our nomad team has found a home, but I agree the resources would be better spent on lacrosse - both mens and womens would be prefered but many schools in the SE have only women's. For title xi, I believe women's lacrosse has more scholarships than men's. At least I assume so because womens lacrosse has more players on the field than mens lacrosse.

But I don't know how easy a FH field could be converted to lacrosse, a LAx field is like twice the size of a FH field. And a different surface besides.

You should take them down to Norfolk this fall, ODU's hosting the NCAA tournament. ODU has a record 9 national titles in field hockey. We joined the Big East for field hockey when we moved from the CAA. Also an associate member of the MAC in wrestling, the B12 in rowing and A SUN in women's lacrosse.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - runamuck - 07-06-2016 12:53 PM

(07-05-2016 09:51 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

You should take them down to Norfolk this fall, ODU's hosting the NCAA tournament. ODU has a record 9 national titles in field hockey. We joined the Big East for field hockey when we moved from the CAA. Also an associate member of the MAC in wrestling, the B12 in rowing and A SUN in women's lacrosse.

you guys must have too much money..

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - NewJersey GATA - 07-06-2016 01:26 PM

Lacrosse is the momentum play!!!!

Field Hockey is so 1980

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - MissouriStateBears - 07-06-2016 01:35 PM

Our field hockey field doubles as a lacrosse field
http://www.missouristatebears.com/facilities/allison-north.html

Field hockey allows 12 scholarships, so it does a pretty good job for the Title 9 department.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - mturn017 - 07-06-2016 01:38 PM

(07-06-2016 12:53 PM)runamuck Wrote:  
(07-05-2016 09:51 PM)mturn017 Wrote:  

you guys must have too much money..

Mo money, mo problems...

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - AppManDG - 07-06-2016 03:04 PM

(07-06-2016 01:26 PM)NewJersey GATA Wrote:  Lacrosse is the momentum play!!!!

Field Hockey is so 1980

Or as in App's case so 1960's. It ewas the first women's sport at App and for some reason it's untouchable. The years when we were in NorPac were particularly insane. Appalachian State, Cal Berkley, Davidson, Longwood, Pacific, Radford and Stanford.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - The4thOption - 07-07-2016 12:39 AM

(07-06-2016 01:35 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  Our field hockey field doubles as a lacrosse field

Field hockey allows 12 scholarships, so it does a pretty good job for the Title 9 department.

App will fit right in. Their Field Hockey field doubles as a farm and a brothel 04-jawdrop .

Also, their football stadium doubles as a TRACK facility 03-lmfao

"Kid" Brewer Stadium ... I kid you not.

Ok, Ok... I'll kick myself out of this thread.

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - AppManDG - 07-07-2016 06:05 PM

(07-07-2016 12:39 AM)The4thOption Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 01:35 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  Our field hockey field doubles as a lacrosse field

App will fit right in. Their Field Hockey field doubles as a farm and a brothel 04-jawdrop .

Al kidding aside....

Kidd Brewer graduated from Duke in 1931 where he was an All American QB
Head Coach Appalachian State 1935-38 with a record of 30-5-3
1937 team was unbeaten & unscored on during the regular season and won North State Championship outscoring opposition 206-0.
Served in the US Navy during WWII

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - The4thOption - 07-10-2016 06:05 AM

(07-07-2016 06:05 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  
(07-07-2016 12:39 AM)The4thOption Wrote:  

Al kidding aside....

Kidd Brewer graduated from Duke in 1931 where he was an All American QB
Head Coach Appalachian State 1935-38 with a record of 30-5-3
1937 team was unbeaten & unscored on during the regular season and won North State Championship outscoring opposition 206-0.
Served in the US Navy during WWII

That really is cool.

I've learned some history.

And perhaps why the Navy's mascot is.... a goat? Rimshot
04-bolt

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - Kittonhead - 07-10-2016 11:57 PM

(07-05-2016 07:40 PM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  Welcome to MAC (as an affiliate member).

ODU, Northern Iowa and Missouri State also are affiliates in a MAC sport interesting.

Add all four to become a power conference!

RE: App State Receives MAC Affiliate Membership - field hockey - Florida RedWolf - 07-14-2016 08:03 AM

(07-05-2016 06:22 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  Looks like the apps will be moving along pretty soon.

Maybe, but I think the App folks are smarter than that. The thought of driving north in winter or even watching a game on tv in Ohio or Michigan with all those cold empty seats makes me miserable. I'm also aware that App gets cool at times as well but at least they can get off the mountain pretty quickly.