CSNbbs
2016-2022 MLB Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2022 MLB Thread (/thread-776886.html)

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-13-2017 07:26 AM

Wow what a game last night! I can't imagine having a team in that game must have been nerve wrecking!
Thanks , 08!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-13-2017 08:02 AM

Whew...I'm exhausted. I don't even know where to begin with the game last night. So much good and bad to discuss. I think the best moments for me were Contreras, Zobrist & Russell in the 5th against Max Scherzer. All of that happened with two outs, and those there wasn't anything cheap about those two runs. And then Wade Davis was a stud. Game 1 could be a train wreck, but we're in the NLCS for the third straight year. The Chicago Cubs are in the NLCS for the third consecutive year. It was certainly nerve-wracking, but I suppose a little fun as well.

Honestly, I feel a little bad for Dusty too. He pulled the right strings last night. You're supposed to get six outs from Scherzer and to the pen in the 7th with the lead. Russell had a really good series, Contreras had a really good night, and Zobrist is the veteran that's seen it all. They battled, but almost everything after that was flukish, save Kyle Schwarber's laser in the 7th.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-13-2017 08:10 AM

CG, is LA's offense better than Washington? I know they're stacked and were baseball's best team this year, but Washington had few holes from 1-8 in their lineup. Turner didn't have a great series, but his speed is a game changer, and facing Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy, Rendon, (excluding Wieters) and Taylor is a daunting challenge. I may change my mind in a week, but I think I'd rather see Seager, Turner and Bellinger than Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy, and Rendon. Taylor probably had better ABs than anyone the whole series.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-13-2017 09:47 AM

(10-13-2017 08:02 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Whew...I'm exhausted. I don't even know where to begin with the game last night. So much good and bad to discuss. I think the best moments for me were Contreras, Zobrist & Russell in the 5th against Max Scherzer. All of that happened with two outs, and those there wasn't anything cheap about those two runs. And then Wade Davis was a stud. Game 1 could be a train wreck, but we're in the NLCS for the third straight year. The Chicago Cubs are in the NLCS for the third consecutive year. It was certainly nerve-wracking, but I suppose a little fun as well.

Honestly, I feel a little bad for Dusty too. He pulled the right strings last night. You're supposed to get six outs from Scherzer and to the pen in the 7th with the lead. Russell had a really good series, Contreras had a really good night, and Zobrist is the veteran that's seen it all. They battled, but almost everything after that was flukish, save Kyle Schwarber's laser in the 7th.

I literally just woke up. I'm working night shifts this month, but luckily I was "off" last night and able to watch the game. So I basically ended up staying awake until 2:45 am anyways. But wow, yes, what a game. My stomach was in knots the whole time. Glad they pulled that out!!! On to the NLCS and time to go at the Dodgers again.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-13-2017 09:55 AM

(10-13-2017 08:10 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  CG, is LA's offense better than Washington? I know they're stacked and were baseball's best team this year, but Washington had few holes from 1-8 in their lineup. Turner didn't have a great series, but his speed is a game changer, and facing Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy, Rendon, (excluding Wieters) and Taylor is a daunting challenge. I may change my mind in a week, but I think I'd rather see Seager, Turner and Bellinger than Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy, and Rendon. Taylor probably had better ABs than anyone the whole series.

Washington definitely has a monster lineup, but when I'm looking at consistency at the plate and manufacturing runs... for some reason the Dodgers worry me more than that Nationals lineup did. The Nationals offense was streaky. Luckily, they went cold right as the playoffs started (like they typically do). Not to mention you factor in the Cubs are who the Dodgers WANT. They want redemption after last year and you know they will be tuned up for this series. That factor worries me a bit. Our lineup isn't what it was last year either, IMO. We still don't really have a consistent leadoff man that scares a pitcher the way Dexter Fowler did. In the 2016 playoffs if Fowler got on base, pitchers instantly began to sweat. Our hitters haven't been as patient at the plate this year as they were last year either, forcing pitchers to work extra hard. More times than not our guys are hitting behind in the count.

I certainly think they CAN beat the Dodgers again, but I think it'll be harder than it was last year.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-13-2017 10:11 AM

(10-13-2017 09:55 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(10-13-2017 08:10 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  CG, is LA's offense better than Washington? I know they're stacked and were baseball's best team this year, but Washington had few holes from 1-8 in their lineup. Turner didn't have a great series, but his speed is a game changer, and facing Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy, Rendon, (excluding Wieters) and Taylor is a daunting challenge. I may change my mind in a week, but I think I'd rather see Seager, Turner and Bellinger than Harper, Zimmerman, Murphy, and Rendon. Taylor probably had better ABs than anyone the whole series.

Washington definitely has a monster lineup, but when I'm looking at consistency at the plate and manufacturing runs... for some reason the Dodgers worry me more than that Nationals lineup did. The Nationals offense was streaky. Luckily, they went cold right as the playoffs started (like they typically do). Not to mention you factor in the Cubs are who the Dodgers WANT. They want redemption after last year and you know they will be tuned up for this series. That factor worries me a bit. Our lineup isn't what it was last year either, IMO. We still don't really have a consistent leadoff man that scares a pitcher the way Dexter Fowler did. In the 2016 playoffs if Fowler got on base, pitchers instantly began to sweat. Our hitters haven't been as patient at the plate this year as they were last year either, forcing pitchers to work extra hard. More times than not our guys are hitting behind in the count.

I certainly think they CAN beat the Dodgers again, but I think it'll be harder than it was last year.

Good stuff, CG. I don't worry about the revenge factor too much, but the rest of that is on point. I still don't know what we're going to do at lead off for 2018. We're set at every position, offensively and defensively, expect lead off. At some point it seems like we're going to have to make a decision between Happ and Schwarber with the odd man out being moved for pitching.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-13-2017 02:17 PM

Really exciting game and I think you guys are right in saying that LA would prefer the Cubs but careful what you want in baseball. Both teams have great lineups but the Kershaw factor is still out there- gotta think at some point he will be himself in post season.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-14-2017 10:53 PM

Again, the Cubs' bullpen dooms them. I don't get one thing though... if you were planning to bring Lackey into the game in relief why wait until your bullpen which has shown to be incapable of keeping games in reach blows it for you? I've said it before, and I'll say it again... the Cubs bullpen is atrocious. They have absolutely zero confidence right now, and the team's lack of offense around them proves their teammates confidence drops as soon as the bullpen is called on.

And don't get me started on that call at home plate. That's horrid. He didn't black the plate from him. Contreras's leg is up, not completely blocking the plate. The angle the runner came in at forced his own arm up into Contreras's shin. That's not blocking the plate. That run doesn't matter much at this point, but it's the principle of the matter.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-15-2017 10:39 PM

More of the same in Game 2.

That's a hard way to lose, but... the Cubs bats have all but disappeared after the NLDS. Like I said before this series started, the consistency of the Dodgers offense is killer. They're a solid team, top to bottom this year.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-16-2017 06:52 AM

(10-15-2017 10:39 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  More of the same in Game 2.

That's a hard way to lose, but... the Cubs bats have all but disappeared after the NLDS. Like I said before this series started, the consistency of the Dodgers offense is killer. They're a solid team, top to bottom this year.
Both Series are eerily similar.......

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-16-2017 07:54 AM

It's especially tough because you can' t let Turner beat you in that situation. An error by Duensing to start the inning and then an inexplicable walk to Taylor are the reasons why Turner was up at all in the 9th. Duensing started off the 8th with a leadoff walk. That's not championship caliber baseball.

We see it with the Dodgers and the Yankees this year, and KC started the trend three years ago. A dominant pen is a successful strategy in the post season and Chicago has one guy that they can trust, Wade Davis.

Relief pitching is a major issue, and we're just not hitting. Dodgers pen has been best in the NL this year, but Cubs are making them look unhittable.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-16-2017 02:40 PM

(10-16-2017 07:54 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  

It's especially tough because you can' t let Turner beat you in that situation. An error by Duensing to start the inning and then an inexplicable walk to Taylor are the reasons why Turner was up at all in the 9th. Duensing started off the 8th with a leadoff walk. That's not championship caliber baseball.

We see it with the Dodgers and the Yankees this year, and KC started the trend three years ago. A dominant pen is a successful strategy in the post season and Chicago has one guy that they can trust, Wade Davis.

Relief pitching is a major issue, and we're just not hitting. Dodgers pen has been best in the NL this year, but Cubs are making them look unhittable.

You can almost feel it watching the Cubs games in the postseason. The moment the starter begins to struggle or it looks like their going to the 'pen, the confidence drains out of the rest of the team which affects them severely at the plate. Hope they can get it turned around in game 3 before it's a near impossibility to mount a comeback. At the least, I don't want them to get swept. As good as the Dodgers are, that's still embarrassing.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-17-2017 06:58 AM

nice bounce back for my Yanks last night. I think they may even tie the series, but my guess with Dallas and Justin looming is they lose series 4-2

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-17-2017 07:39 AM

Keep your chins up boys. Even if your teams both go down, the Yankees and Cubs are just a couple pieces away each from winning series like these next season.

I'm impressed the Cubs made it as far as they did this year in a World Series hangover year. And it was a hangover unlike any other; winning one for a city on more than a century-long drought can produce one helluva migraine. The bullpen can be worked on in the offseason and next year's trade deadline.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-17-2017 07:52 AM

(10-17-2017 07:39 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Keep your chins up boys. Even if your teams both go down, the Yankees and Cubs are just a couple pieces away each from winning series like these next season.

I'm impressed the Cubs made it as far as they did this year in a World Series hangover year. And it was a hangover unlike any other; winning one for a city on more than a century-long drought can produce one helluva migraine. The bullpen can be worked on in the offseason and next year's trade deadline.

I hear Betances will be available 02-13-banana

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-17-2017 07:54 AM

(10-17-2017 07:52 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 07:39 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Keep your chins up boys. Even if your teams both go down, the Yankees and Cubs are just a couple pieces away each from winning series like these next season.

Where do I sign?

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-17-2017 08:04 AM

(10-17-2017 07:54 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 07:52 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

Where do I sign?
Provided you have a decent PC i think he'd be fine. He has a mechanical quirk that gets him wild and Rothschild can't fix it because
he's worthless. Betances has been really bad last 3 weeks and in the playoffs. He's now walked 5 straight.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-17-2017 10:11 AM

I would like to see Keuchel pitch in NY and maybe he will not get every call that is remotely close. The guy is great but he was treated to the Tom Glavine/Greg Maddox umpiring last game. Maybe with some fan reaction and Joe could actually say something to an umpire about the calls it would even up. The calls against Judge were like watching the little league WS umps calling the mitt on every pitch.
I am also sick of seeing John Lester ***** and moan to get his way like a spoiled brat.
Houston and LA would be a great match up for the WS.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-17-2017 11:40 AM

(10-17-2017 10:11 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I would like to see Keuchel pitch in NY and maybe he will not get every call that is remotely close. The guy is great but he was treated to the Tom Glavine/Greg Maddox umpiring last game. Maybe with some fan reaction and Joe could actually say something to an umpire about the calls it would even up. The calls against Judge were like watching the little league WS umps calling the mitt on every pitch.
I am also sick of seeing John Lester ***** and moan to get his way like a spoiled brat.

in the last 3 years he has 3 starts at YS with an ERA of 2.05, 2 wins, 1 no decision. Doesn't really matter where they are at he kills us.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-17-2017 03:59 PM

(10-17-2017 11:40 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-17-2017 10:11 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  I would like to see Keuchel pitch in NY and maybe he will not get every call that is remotely close. The guy is great but he was treated to the Tom Glavine/Greg Maddox umpiring last game. Maybe with some fan reaction and Joe could actually say something to an umpire about the calls it would even up. The calls against Judge were like watching the little league WS umps calling the mitt on every pitch.

in the last 3 years he has 3 starts at YS with an ERA of 2.05, 2 wins, 1 no decision. Doesn't really matter where they are at he kills us.

Thats right but he got some calls in Houston that were just criminal for a great pitcher like him it means its over.