CSNbbs
2016-2022 MLB Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2022 MLB Thread (/thread-776886.html)

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 05-01-2017 02:10 PM

All right fine Hoops, I'll get off your lawn!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-01-2017 02:18 PM

(05-01-2017 02:10 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  All right fine Hoops, I'll get off your lawn!

LMAO. On a positive note, I look around the league, and it's been quite some time since i've seen the amount of flat out young studs. Every team seems to have a few.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 05-01-2017 03:32 PM

(05-01-2017 02:18 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  LMAO. On a positive note, I look around the league, and it's been quite some time since i've seen the amount of flat out young studs. Every team seems to have a few.

It's true. Top to bottom, the game has never had more talent.

Though you'll never top the talent in the 1961 All-Star Game. 20 total Hall of Famers were in that game. The NL starting outfield was Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, and Orlando Cepeda, with Hank Aaron, Stan Musial and Frank Robinson as the "backup" outfielders.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-01-2017 03:37 PM

(05-01-2017 03:32 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 02:18 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  LMAO. On a positive note, I look around the league, and it's been quite some time since i've seen the amount of flat out young studs. Every team seems to have a few.

It's true. Top to bottom, the game has never had more talent.

Though you'll never top the talent in the 1961 All-Star Game. 20 total Hall of Famers were in that game. The NL starting outfield was Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, and Orlando Cepeda, with Hank Aaron, Stan Musial and Frank Robinson as the "backup" outfielders.

Ha, that's a sick team. Video game stuff. I love the youngsters on the Yankees and they are coming along quicker than i anticipated. IF they can just rid of Gardner, and add one more Arm they could be a legit threat.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 05-01-2017 03:42 PM

(05-01-2017 03:37 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Ha, that's a sick team. Video game stuff. I love the youngsters on the Yankees and they are coming along quicker than i anticipated. IF they can just rid of Gardner, and one more Arm they could be a legit threat.

Ah, poor Brett Gardner. Always underappreciated!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 05-01-2017 03:43 PM

Oh, also, this seemed applicable to what we were talking about:

Over the past 6 seasons leading into 2017, Clayton Kershaw racked up 1,421 strikeouts and allowed only 253 walks (5.6 : 1 ratio). So far this season he has 39 K's and just 3 walks allowed. He pitches again tonight against the Giants.

During his dominant run from 1961-1966 (6 years), Sandy Koufax had 1,713 strikeouts and allowed only 412 walks (4.2 : 1 ratio).

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-01-2017 03:46 PM

(05-01-2017 03:42 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 03:37 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Ha, that's a sick team. Video game stuff. I love the youngsters on the Yankees and they are coming along quicker than i anticipated. IF they can just rid of Gardner, and one more Arm they could be a legit threat.

Ah, poor Brett Gardner. Always underappreciated!

Dude is barely batting over .200 and had ZERO hr, and ZERO rbi until Saturday. He had his time, it's over now. Hicks should be the every day left fielder

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 05-04-2017 07:24 AM

(05-01-2017 03:46 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Ha, that's a sick team. Video game stuff. I love the youngsters on the Yankees and they are coming along quicker than i anticipated. IF they can just rid of Gardner, and one more Arm they could be a legit threat.

You would know better than I, but the Yankees shouldn't need much in terms of starting pitching. With the back end of their bull pen, starters aren't going to have to do much. Fortunate for them, and Chicago I think, there is a lot of SP that will likely be available this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see NYY end up with Cole; he's a stud.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-04-2017 07:32 AM

(05-04-2017 07:24 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 03:46 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Ha, that's a sick team. Video game stuff. I love the youngsters on the Yankees and they are coming along quicker than i anticipated. IF they can just rid of Gardner, and one more Arm they could be a legit threat.

You would know better than I, but the Yankees shouldn't need much in terms of starting pitching. With the back end of their bull pen, starters aren't going to have to do much. Fortunate for them, and Chicago I think, there is a lot of SP that will likely be available this season. Wouldn't be surprised to see NYY end up with Cole; he's a stud.

Problem with the back of the pen is it gets worn out by July every year because of binder Joe over managing. They need some starters to make a run. Hitting only carries you so far.I'm certainly excited about the young bats in NY!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-08-2017 07:33 AM

#SWEEPCITYBABY

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 05-08-2017 07:44 AM

(05-08-2017 07:33 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  #SWEEPCITYBABY

May accomplishments are the best.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-08-2017 07:49 AM

(05-08-2017 07:44 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 07:33 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  #SWEEPCITYBABY

May accomplishments are the best.
Titles are not won in April and May, but it still feels pretty sweet to go into your place and sweep! I thought for sure after Chapman blew it it was over last night.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 05-08-2017 08:17 AM

The Yankees are really good, and although I'm concerned about the Cubs right now, this series didn't escalate my concerns. If not for a taxed pen, Wade Davis closes out a shutout victory on Friday, Saturday's debacle was against our 5th starter that I'm willing to bet pitches as often as Jason Hammel did this post season (assuming we make it), and then last night the defense failed Lester. On Saturday and Sunday, my favorite part of Chicago was on display..."we never quit." Despite playing suspect baseball right now, we're still a game over .500. The part that we'll have to figure out if we have any hope in October is starting pitching. Age appears to finally have caught up with Lackey, and the gamble with Anderson isn't paying off. We have a few other gamble's in AAA, but we need at least one more starter via trade, and probably one more set up man.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-08-2017 08:20 AM

(05-08-2017 08:17 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  The Yankees are really good, and although I'm concerned about the Cubs right now, this series didn't escalate my concerns. If not for a taxed pen, Wade Davis closes out a shutout victory on Friday, Saturday's debacle was against our 5th starter that I'm willing to bet pitches as often as Jason Hammel did this post season (assuming we make it), and then last night the defense failed Lester. On Saturday and Sunday, my favorite part of Chicago was on display..."we never quit." Despite playing suspect baseball right now, we're still a game over .500. The part that we'll have to figure out if we have any hope in October is starting pitching. Age appears to finally have caught up with Lackey, and the gamble with Anderson isn't paying off. We have a few other gamble's in AAA, but we need at least one more starter via trade, and probably one more set up man.
They put Anderson on the DL. Lester pitched well, can't really complain with how he pitched. Having your leadoff guy barely batting .200 doesn't help.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 05-08-2017 08:26 AM

Schwarber is pretty far down on my list of concerns.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-08-2017 08:31 AM

(05-08-2017 08:26 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Schwarber is pretty far down on my list of concerns.

ya think? Really only has a few months of solid MLB experience then missed the whole season. Since coming back he's struggled. That reminds me of Greg Bird in Ny, and I'm concerned. On a poritive, he looks more comfortable in the OF, he made a nice play in the 9th last night.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 05-08-2017 08:40 AM

Scwharber can play; there's nothing that concerns me about his approach. He still looks fine at the plate, and he was always better in LF than most people gave him credit. A majority of baseball fans only saw him play LF against the Mets in 2015. Plus, there's no alternative. We don't have a traditional lead and there we're set across the diamond. The only hope is that Addison Russel or Albert Almora develop into a lead off, but that's not happening this year. I don't think we're at a place to significantly change the process, meaning we're not likely to trade Baez or Almora and we're certainly not trading War Bear!!!

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-08-2017 09:11 AM

(05-08-2017 08:40 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Scwharber can play; there's nothing that concerns me about his approach. He still looks fine at the plate, and he was always better in LF than most people gave him credit. A majority of baseball fans only saw him play LF against the Mets in 2015. Plus, there's no alternative. We don't have a traditional lead and there we're set across the diamond. The only hope is that Addison Russel or Albert Almora develop into a lead off, but that's not happening this year. I don't think we're at a place to significantly change the process, meaning we're not likely to trade Baez or Almora and we're certainly not trading War Bear!!!
I think your hitters will be ok. It's the pitching that would concern me more.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 05-08-2017 09:25 AM

(05-08-2017 09:11 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 08:40 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Scwharber can play; there's nothing that concerns me about his approach. He still looks fine at the plate, and he was always better in LF than most people gave him credit. A majority of baseball fans only saw him play LF against the Mets in 2015. Plus, there's no alternative. We don't have a traditional lead and there we're set across the diamond. The only hope is that Addison Russel or Albert Almora develop into a lead off, but that's not happening this year. I don't think we're at a place to significantly change the process, meaning we're not likely to trade Baez or Almora and we're certainly not trading War Bear!!!

We're fortunate this year to have a saturated SP market. We'll end up with a starter by the deadline I believe. The only question in my mind will be the cost, and it will be worth it most likely. I, too, think bats and defense will come around, and rotation of Lester, Arrieta and Hendricks plus say, Archer would be formidable.

Cubs and Yankees will both add SP this year. Without studying the list in detail, I think the Yanks end up with Cole from Pitt. He's a stud and worth whatever you trade. Not sure who Cubs end up with; I'd love Chris Archer, but he'll come with a heavy price tag. Maybe we can get Harvey at a bargain.

RE: 2016 and 2017 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 05-08-2017 09:32 AM

(05-08-2017 09:25 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(05-08-2017 09:11 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

We're fortunate this year to have a saturated SP market. We'll end up with a starter by the deadline I believe. The only question in my mind will be the cost, and it will be worth it most likely. I, too, think bats and defense will come around, and rotation of Lester, Arrieta and Hendricks plus say, Archer would be formidable.

Cubs and Yankees will both add SP this year. Without studying the list in detail, I think the Yanks end up with Cole from Pitt. He's a stud and worth whatever you trade. Not sure who Cubs end up with; I'd love Chris Archer, but he'll come with a heavy price tag. Maybe we can get Harvey at a bargain.
Harvey isn't worth the hassle IMO. I have buyers caution with anyone from Pitt. There pitching coach is a genius and the best in the game IMO. We normally send pitchers there to get better(see nova and AJ.)