CSNbbs
2016-2022 MLB Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2022 MLB Thread (/thread-776886.html)

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-28-2016 10:27 AM

(10-28-2016 10:24 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(10-28-2016 08:40 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-28-2016 08:33 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  . Maddon is a good manager but just about any good baseball man could coach that team. They are just loaded 1-25 with players that get it done.
Right, let's discount what he did in Tampa with a 25 million dollar payroll and a bunch of triple A players!

Turns out that the Tampa teams were loaded with talent and they are now scattered all over MLB. The front office there did a great job drafting players and the system developed a ton of talent into MLB stars. Much like Miami they have not been able to retain the players but they have had a ton of really good talent there.
System is still loaded, but how good have the been since Joe left? #itsverytelling

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - dan10 - 10-28-2016 10:31 AM

(10-28-2016 10:24 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  
(10-28-2016 08:40 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-28-2016 08:33 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  . Maddon is a good manager but just about any good baseball man could coach that team. They are just loaded 1-25 with players that get it done.
Right, let's discount what he did in Tampa with a 25 million dollar payroll and a bunch of triple A players!

Turns out that the Tampa teams were loaded with talent and they are now scattered all over MLB. The front office there did a great job drafting players and the system developed a ton of talent into MLB stars. Much like Miami they have not been able to retain the players but they have had a ton of really good talent there.

Well that's what a decade of super top picks each year in the draft should net you, unfortunately all of those players made the big stage and then left and it appears their drafting may have dropped some and they have gone back to a revolving door.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-28-2016 10:35 AM

2016 Version of the Durham Bulls wasn't great, but prior to that they have been in the top of the league every year. And Tampa was also much better when Maddon was there. I live 10 mins from the DBAP i get to many of their games every year, still a ton of talent. Coming into last season their minors were still ranked in the top 10.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-28-2016 11:28 AM

Maddon opted out after the GM left Tampa is how I remember it happening, can't recall his name but he went to L.A. I think. They had really good players and drafted well with the picks they had. The Cubs have done it with picks and free agents-they have money and lots of it. They also got lucky with Arrieta coming into his own after being not so great with Baltimore. I saw him pitch there a couple of times and he was bad-wild in and out of the zone. Cubs roster is set for years to come with the everyday players. Pitchers can always be a challenge with injury and attitudes.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-28-2016 11:42 AM

(10-28-2016 11:28 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Maddon opted out after the GM left Tampa is how I remember it happening, can't recall his name but he went to L.A. I think. They had really good players and drafted well with the picks they had. The Cubs have done it with picks and free agents-they have money and lots of it. They also got lucky with Arrieta coming into his own after being not so great with Baltimore. I saw him pitch there a couple of times and he was bad-wild in and out of the zone. Cubs roster is set for years to come with the everyday players. Pitchers can always be a challenge with injury and attitudes.

You think it's they "got lucky" or you think that some coaches actually let him use all his pitches and he's been successful since? That's the story i've heard, multiple times.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-28-2016 12:28 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9XtDyDUjIU

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-28-2016 01:20 PM

The Cubs are very talented. The talent has been acquired through the draft/international signings (Bryant, Scwharber, Baez, Contreras, Soler), trades (Rizzo, Russell, Fowler, Coghlan, Chapman, Arrieta, Strop, Hendricks) and a few FA acquisitions (Lester, Lackey and Heyward). They haven't just opened up the checkbook and bought a bunch of talent. With the exception of Chapman and maybe Fowler, the trades they made weren't for established major leaguers. To dismiss the value of coaching is a huge mistake.

Chicago started the youngest lineup in WS history in game 2, with 6 guys 24 or younger starting and Rizzo is 26. Maddon deserves credit for bringing this team along.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-28-2016 02:59 PM

(10-28-2016 01:20 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  The Cubs are very talented. The talent has been acquired through the draft/international signings (Bryant, Scwharber, Baez, Contreras, Soler), trades (Rizzo, Russell, Fowler, Coghlan, Chapman, Arrieta, Strop, Hendricks) and a few FA acquisitions (Lester, Lackey and Heyward). They haven't just opened up the checkbook and bought a bunch of talent. With the exception of Chapman and maybe Fowler, the trades they made weren't for established major leaguers. To dismiss the value of coaching is a huge mistake.

Chicago started the youngest lineup in WS history in game 2, with 6 guys 24 or younger starting and Rizzo is 26. Maddon deserves credit for bringing this team along.

Its a great mix of players that seem to accept the situation for now and are all about winning games. I give the credit to the GM first and foremost for hiring guys that beat the bushes looking for these players. Scouting young baseball players is a tough thing to do and they have done a great job getting young talent without the attitude that can come along with that. I like this team to win for years to come.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-28-2016 03:03 PM

(10-28-2016 11:42 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-28-2016 11:28 AM)jumpinmullet Wrote:  Maddon opted out after the GM left Tampa is how I remember it happening, can't recall his name but he went to L.A. I think. They had really good players and drafted well with the picks they had. The Cubs have done it with picks and free agents-they have money and lots of it. They also got lucky with Arrieta coming into his own after being not so great with Baltimore. I saw him pitch there a couple of times and he was bad-wild in and out of the zone. Cubs roster is set for years to come with the everyday players. Pitchers can always be a challenge with injury and attitudes.

You think it's they "got lucky" or you think that some coaches actually let him use all his pitches and he's been successful since? That's the story i've heard, multiple times.

He is throwing the same pitches this year that he threw last year and has been nowhere near that level this season for the most part. He has great movement on his pitches and when I saw him he was just flat wild. I think he started working harder at his craft and his conditioning along with the mental side of pitching. Maybe just getting older and more mature has helped him as well. When he is on he is as good as it it gets.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-28-2016 03:43 PM

Baltimore tried to change his delivery because they feared throwing across his body would lead to injury. Chicago told him to clear his head and get back to the delivery that he had been successful with. He was unworldly last year, and he's been really good this year. Much better than he was at Baltimore anyway. To my knowledge, he's always taken very good care of himself and prided himself on conditioning. That may have improved the last three years, I'm not sure.

Mullet, I agree that the GM deserves a lot of credit, but I think Theo does too. Let me know if you don't get it. Nevertheless, I think there's enough to go around to Maddon and Tom Ricketts. Here's to a good game tonight. 81 outs to go.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-28-2016 09:23 PM

Theo has done a remarkable job there-hats off to him!

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-29-2016 07:05 AM

Great approach by Cleveland last night, and their staff was on point. That one hurts.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-29-2016 08:11 AM

(10-29-2016 07:05 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  Great approach by Cleveland last night, and their staff was on point. That one hurts.

Cubbies are hard to figure out. They got shut down by a guy with an ERA north of 4 and one that gave up 36 bombs. Onto Game 4.

In terms of Jake, I aside from the delivery things that Bricks mentioned, i had heard the O's would not let him throw all his pitches either. And The Cubs do, All these things boil down to COACHING

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-29-2016 11:06 AM

Whatever they did it worked,credit to the guy who made the trade,pitching coach and Arrieta for sticking it out. It looked like he was a bust with Baltimore.
Cubs are a young team and love to mash the ball,I thought they looked jumpy at the plate. They have some guys who will chase at times and it results in bad AB's.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-31-2016 06:32 AM

(10-29-2016 08:11 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Cubbies are hard to figure out. They got shut down by a guy with an ERA north of 4 and one that gave up 36 bombs. Onto Game 4.

Tomlin is not the same pitcher that he was in August. He shut down Boston and Toronto as well. He's throwing more curves and changeups than splitters and fastballs in the PS.

Gotta get to him tomorrow. Schwarber will help, but a decent AB from Baez would go a long way too. Baez and Contreras were out of this world in the NLCS; now I'd rather see Heyward at the plate than either of those guys. I hope Ross starts game 6.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-31-2016 07:35 AM

LEt's not make Tomlin out to more than he is he couldn't even get through 5@! Nice W last night, need two more in Clev

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-31-2016 07:50 AM

(10-31-2016 07:35 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  LEt's not make Tomlin out to more than he is he couldn't even get through 5@! Nice W last night, need two more in Clev

Come on, man. Don't put me in a position where I have to defend Cleveland. Saying he "couldn't even get through 5" is either disingenuous or you didn't watch the game. He wasn't in any trouble in game 3 and Francona's model is to get the ball to Miller as quickly as possible. Tomlin has been keeping the ball down with curveballs and sinkers while mostly scrapping cutters and four-seam fastballs. As a result, he's getting a lot of ground balls and he is 2-0 with a 1.75 ERA in the PS. He's been good; why not give him credit?

Mullet nailed it when he said Chicago's young hitters are having anxious ABs. You don't have to throw Baez a strike, and when you get 2 on him, he's swinging at the slider low and away. Bryant hasn't been much better with the down and away slider. I just hope that getting back to Cleveland relaxes them a little and they get back to their patient ABs. We should have the pitching advantage in game 6, and then who knows what happens in a game 7.

Maddon, please start David Ross behind the plate in games 6 and 7. He's our best receiver and will call a much better game than Contreras. I beg you, please!

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-31-2016 08:15 AM

Ehh, just not impressed with Tomlin. I do agree with both, specifically Baez is jumping out of his shoes.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-31-2016 08:43 AM

(10-31-2016 08:15 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Ehh, just not impressed with Tomlin.

You don't have to be. Francona is masterful when it comes to knowing when pitchers need to come out, which is a hugely important skill in the American League, where you don't have the luxury of simply sending a pinch hitter up there to take the pitcher's spot. You have to manage your bullpen exceptionally well in the AL, and it's a top reason why he's what, 11-2 in World Series games now?

When I stated that I think the Indians have the best staff in the game, I probably should have been giving a lot of the credit to Francona. Seeing his decisions pay off over and over now in big spots, with 2 different franchises, cements him as a HOFer, in my mind.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-31-2016 08:49 AM

(10-31-2016 08:43 AM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
(10-31-2016 08:15 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  Ehh, just not impressed with Tomlin.

You don't have to be. Francona is masterful when it comes to knowing when pitchers need to come out, which is a hugely important skill in the American League, where you don't have the luxury of simply sending a pinch hitter up there to take the pitcher's spot. You have to manage your bullpen exceptionally well in the AL, and it's a top reason why he's what, 11-2 in World Series games now?

When I stated that I think the Indians have the best staff in the game, I probably should have been giving a lot of the credit to Francona. Seeing his decisions pay off over and over now in big spots, with 2 different franchises, cements him as a HOFer, in my mind.

He's definitely a HOF'er. Really no question there.