CSNbbs
2016-2022 MLB Thread - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2022 MLB Thread (/thread-776886.html)

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Proff - 10-23-2016 12:08 PM

I don't know about our moderator but I am seriously worried about former Heckler and poster - Gorilla. Hope he managed to survive! 03-wink

Sent from my SM-G900V using CSNbbs mobile app

2016 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-23-2016 12:30 PM

I'm alive. No arrest.

Cubs fan roll call...

Bricks?

Gorilla?

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-24-2016 07:31 AM

Congrats guys! There were celebratory stogies smoked on Saturday night! Good luck in the WS.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-24-2016 10:47 AM

Subdued celebration on Saturday. Just a few shots to calm the nerves. Saving the bail money for a larger celebration in about a week, I hope. Four more!

Hendricks was the man on Saturday. Best pitching performance in Cubs history perhaps. It was also great to get the first earned run in Kershaw's career.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-24-2016 11:46 AM

(10-24-2016 10:47 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  It was also great to get the first earned run in Kershaw's career.

what do you mean?

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-24-2016 01:14 PM

(10-24-2016 11:46 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(10-24-2016 10:47 AM)bricksnivy Wrote:  It was also great to get the first earned run in Kershaw's career.

what do you mean?

Attempt at sarcasm. National narrative seemed to be that he was unbeatable on Saturday/Cubs don't stand a chance. Overall, Smoltz and Buck were pretty good, but they went overboard with Kershaw in games 4 and 5. Kershaw is great, and he was great in game 2 against Chicago, but I thought it was overboard and it diminshed the quality opponent he had to face. As great as Kyle Hendricks was on Saturday, I still feel like he's being overlooked.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-24-2016 01:56 PM

(10-24-2016 01:14 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  
(10-24-2016 11:46 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  

what do you mean?

Attempt at sarcasm. National narrative seemed to be that he was unbeatable on Saturday/Cubs don't stand a chance. Overall, Smoltz and Buck were pretty good, but they went overboard with Kershaw in games 4 and 5. Kershaw is great, and he was great in game 2 against Chicago, but I thought it was overboard and it diminshed the quality opponent he had to face. As great as Kyle Hendricks was on Saturday, I still feel like he's being overlooked.
Hendricks has been overlooked all year! I was with a group of 15 on a fishing trip, prob 10 of us i'd consider baseball guys and we were all trying to figure out where he came from!(one is die hard Cubbies and of course he had the answer for us :)) He has nasty for sure. Clayton got a bad rap for his past failures in the postseason, but seemed to shake it in game 2. But, in a must win, he folded like a cheap tent again!

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-24-2016 02:37 PM

It's hard to go all-in on Hendricks. He was really good his first year in Chicago, but looked like an above average 5th starter coming into this season. In the first game against SF, he took the liner off of his throwing arm, and he was over-shadowed by Kershaw's 2-hitter in game. But, even in that game, he only gave up 1 run on 3 hits. It's hard to accept that he's has ace material when he barely breaks 90 on his fastball. I think he only threw two pitches at 90 mph on Saturday. I get all of that. But, after a full season of pitching like a front-line starter, and now two great starts, I think he's earned more recognition than he's getting.

Cashner for Rizzo, Valbuena for Fowler, Garza for Edwards/Grimm, Shark for Russell, Clevinger for Arrieta/Strop, and Dempster for Hendricks. Theo has made some magnificent trades while in Chicago. Only one bad one come to mind (Ian Stewart for DJ Lemaihu).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatYaLnoPXs

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-24-2016 02:45 PM

(10-24-2016 02:37 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  It's hard to go all-in on Hendricks. He was really good his first year in Chicago, but looked like an above average 5th starter coming into this season. In the first game against SF, he took the liner off of his throwing arm, and he was over-shadowed by Kershaw's 2-hitter in game. But, even in that game, he only gave up 1 run on 3 hits. It's hard to accept that he's has ace material when he barely breaks 90 on his fastball. I think he only threw two pitches at 90 mph on Saturday. I get all of that. But, after a full season of pitching like a front-line starter, and now two great starts, I think he's earned more recognition than he's getting.

Cashner for Rizzo, Valbuena for Fowler, Garza for Edwards/Grimm, Shark for Russell, Clevinger for Arrieta/Strop, and Dempster for Hendricks. Theo has made some magnificent trades while in Chicago. Only one bad one come to mind (Ian Stewart for DJ Lemaihu).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qatYaLnoPXs
Yup, those trades have all turned out great. Finding diamonds in the rough has always been Theo's thing. David Ortiz sucked in Minnesota before he signed him(and got him Manny's sauce)

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawk Nation 08 - 10-24-2016 07:11 PM

Quote:⚾️ BREAKING⚾️ #Cubs to activate OF Kyle Schwarber (ACL) to #WorldSeries roster. Slugger would hit as DH in game one of Fall Classic vs CLE.

Big news right there.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-24-2016 09:47 PM

(10-24-2016 07:11 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  
Quote:⚾️ BREAKING⚾️ #Cubs to activate OF Kyle Schwarber (ACL) to #WorldSeries roster. Slugger would hit as DH in game one of Fall Classic vs CLE.

Big news right there.

A little out of this world. Chicago would not add him if they had any concerns about his health, so I'm not concerned about that. However, you have to fear his timing will be off; not having seen live MLB pitching since April. Today in the Arizona Fall League, he hit a double and his exit velo was 110 MPH and he slide into second. Health isn't a concern.

Also, with Lester pitching game 1 and Arrieta game 2, that means Contreras will not be catching. Another big decision for Maddon is whether or not to sit Heyward. If Scwharber is the DH, then Contreras would have to play LF, sliding Zobrist to RF.

Bad news: Joe West (Elon alum; QB) is part of the umpire crew. He's awful.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-25-2016 08:49 AM

Today is the day fellas. Let's get this party started, GO CUBBIES!!

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-25-2016 01:34 PM

108 Year later, 108 out to go. Go Cubs Go.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-26-2016 07:20 AM

WTH is with Lester not being able to throw to first? just really really odd! Hopefully a better showing tonight

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - B_Hawk06 - 10-26-2016 09:29 AM

(10-26-2016 07:20 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  WTH is with Lester not being able to throw to first? just really really odd! Hopefully a better showing tonight

That's been an on going issue that is most notable in the playoffs, especially when you have a team like the Indians that like to steal bases.

I don't get it either, but he just has zero confidence throwing the ball over there.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-26-2016 10:17 AM

(10-26-2016 09:29 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(10-26-2016 07:20 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  WTH is with Lester not being able to throw to first? just really really odd! Hopefully a better showing tonight

That's been an on going issue that is most notable in the playoffs, especially when you have a team like the Indians that like to steal bases.

I don't get it either, but he just has zero confidence throwing the ball over there.

IT's crazy that someone can do as well as he does when it looks as if he has zero ability to hold runner. Cubs need to "flip the witch" like they did after being down 2-1 to the Dodgers

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - bricksnivy - 10-26-2016 11:03 AM

Kluber was good last night and Lester's inability to throw to first wasn't a big issue. He's lucky to have Ross as his battery-mate. Tonight, assuming Miggy starts, you'll see Cleveland run wild. Arrieta doesn't hold runners, and Miggy has a noodle for an arm.

They had good ABs against Miller for the most part. I think we'll hit tonight. Last night was must-win for Cleveland and they delivered. Chicago needs to do the same tonight, and then they'll have a huge pitching advantage on Friday. Looking at the pitching match ups, they favor Chicago except for Kluber. Can he be as good as he was last night in game 4 and game 7. Tito will have a solid game plan, but I'm hoping the bats arrive tonight. Russell has some bad cuts last night. Looked lost again.

Kyle Schwarber is ridiculous. His potential is just insane. Bryant-Rizzo-Schwarber as the heart of the order and under contract through 2022.

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-26-2016 11:26 AM

Pretty hard to flip the switch against a team as good as Cleveland. They are completely different than the Dodgers and have much better pitching than LA. This is the must game for the Cubs,if they lose tonight it is really tough to come back from 2-0 against teams like this.
The AB's against Miller were decent but the only thing that really happened is they got his pitch count up and he can't go tonight. Taking the slider worked last night but the next time he might be sharp,resulting in being behind in the count. This Cubs team counts on the HR and the Indians counter that with breaking balls down in the zone. The team that catches the ball and runs the bases tonight is hard to beat. Go Indians!

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - Seahawkhoops - 10-26-2016 12:07 PM

actually Mullet that is not correct, the Dodgers team pitching was better than Cleveland!
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/seasontype/2

RE: 2016 MLB Thread - jumpinmullet - 10-26-2016 12:10 PM

(10-26-2016 12:07 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  actually Mullet that is not correct, the Dodgers team pitching was better than Cleveland!
http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/seasontype/2

Outside of Kershaw and Jenson the Dodgers have no pitcher that puts fear into any hitter. The Cubs beat up on them pretty good and that included Kershaw. I don't think they competed on a level that could ever beat the Cubs.
Cleveland has a much better staff overall than LA and a much better team.