CSNbbs
2016-2017 Men's basketball - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: UNCW (/forum-686.html)
+----- Thread: 2016-2017 Men's basketball (/thread-774672.html)

Pages: 1 2

2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 03-18-2016 07:24 AM

Never too soon to look ahead, especially after the past two years ending with an NCAA bid.

Seniors- Ingram, Flemmings, Gettys, Ogbodo

Juniors - Talley, Bryan, Richmond

Soph - Bryce, Cacock, Matthews, Grundy

Freshman - Elmore, Fornes

With only two incoming Freshmen, Keatts will likely bring in a transfer to balance out the class if he is looking long term 04-cheers If he's looking short term, I predict he let's Ogbodo go, and brings in a big who can transfer and play immediately to help at the 5 next year.

Guaranteed starters

Ingram, Flemmings, Bryce

So, the question will be does he keep playing small ball with Flemmings at the 4, or does he move him to the 3, which creates a logjam in the 1-3 spots.

Keatts could start:

PG - Talley
2. Ingram
3- Bryce
4- Flemmings
5. Gettys or big transfer

or

PG- Richmond
2- Ingram
3- Bryce
4 - Flemmings
5. Gettys or big transfer

or

PG- Ingram
2- Bryce
3 - Flemmings
4- Elmore
5. Gettys or a big transfer

Options 1 and 2 continue us playing small ball, with either Richmond supplanting Talley or Talley becoming a consistent starter. Option 3 puts a 6'9" scorer at the 4, and moves Flemmings to a natural 3 spot. It also would be our biggest potential lineup.

I'm not sure where Keatts sees Cacock/Grundy/Bryan in his lineup, since they are all post playing power forwards who have been playing the 5 mostly. He seems to want scoring at the 4, which could be a spot for Elmore if he is college ready as a Freshman. I could be completely wrong, but with his size and variety of ways he scores, I just can't see him on the bench next year. He has the offensive skills and size that fits perfectly in the Keatts system.

Talley may step up his offense and take the starting spot, but Keatts has shown he wants consistent scoring from the PG, and i'm afraid Richmond and Fornes will be superior in that aspect.

So. Here are my predicted starters next year.

PG- Richmond
2 - Ingram
3. - Bryce
4. -Flemmings
5. Gettys/Transfer

First off the bench

Talley, Cacock, Elmore

CAA regular season champs, CAA tournament champs, second straight NCAA tournament.

POY - Flemmings

2nd team all caa - Bryce, Ingram

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - Seahawkhoops - 03-18-2016 07:52 AM

How would Flemmings be second team if he is POY?

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 03-18-2016 08:16 AM

(03-18-2016 07:52 AM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  How would Flemmings be second team if he is POY?

Meant Bryce, Ingram...

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - solohawks - 03-18-2016 01:14 PM

I think we would have to be the favorite along with CoC and William and Mary with Northeastern and Towson right below us. Drexel Delaware and JMU will have coaching changes and Hofstra is losing a lot so they will have a lot of uncertainty while Elon is doing their thing.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - Seahawk Nation 08 - 03-18-2016 01:25 PM

Towson only loses one starter, Timajh Parker-Rivera. With Adala Moto and John Davis as Seniors and Mike Morsell and Byron Hawkins as Juniors, they're highly dangerous. I like their chances to finish in the top 3 with that starting lineup 80 % intact.

W&M loses Terry Tarpey and Sean Sheldon so they'll take a slight step back for sure.

Right now I'd go with this:

1. UNCW
2. Towson
3. Charleston
4. W&M
5. Northeastern
6. Hofstra
7. Elon
8. JMU
9. Drexel
10. Delaware

And keep in mind that I consider the 5-8 teams on that list basically interchangable; they could finish in any order. The Top 4 and Bottom 2 I feel stronger about being close to accurate.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - dan10 - 03-18-2016 01:55 PM

(03-18-2016 01:25 PM)Seahawk Nation 08 Wrote:  Towson only loses one starter, Timajh Parker-Rivera. With Adala Moto and John Davis as Seniors and Mike Morsell and Byron Hawkins as Juniors, they're highly dangerous. I like their chances to finish in the top 3 with that starting lineup 80 % intact.

W&M loses Terry Tarpey and Sean Sheldon so they'll take a slight step back for sure.

Right now I'd go with this:

1. UNCW
2. Towson
3. Charleston
4. W&M
5. Northeastern
6. Hofstra
7. Elon
8. JMU
9. Drexel
10. Delaware

And keep in mind that I consider the 5-8 teams on that list basically interchangable; they could finish in any order. The Top 4 and Bottom 2 I feel stronger about being close to accurate.

Honestly hard to make any predictions until, in the very least, the new coaches have been hired. I think JMU is in worse shape than Drexel from who they lose this year in Curry. Drexel has pieces, just need a good direction. We will likely be a middle of the pack team next year. I think it is safe to predict Delaware as last since they are losing their entire team (well the only 2 who did anything anyhow). But even there a new coach with new recruits can change a lot of things. It is safe to say UNCW will be the favorites in the preseason due to bringing back the most.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - surfsalot2016 - 03-22-2016 07:47 PM

Matt Elmore Senior Mix Tape https://youtu.be/vhwuLWnf_eM

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 03-22-2016 08:11 PM

(03-22-2016 07:47 PM)surfsalot2016 Wrote:  Matt Elmore Senior Mix Tape https://youtu.be/vhwuLWnf_eM

Nice! Elmore has some serious offensive firepower. If he can bang in the post and defend as a Freshman, I cannot see how we keep him on the bench. Especially with our lack of size at the 4.

2016-2017 Men's basketball - B_Hawk06 - 03-22-2016 08:20 PM

Young man looks good. Hope he comes in ready to bang. Interested to see how he plays against guys his size.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - surfsalot2016 - 03-22-2016 08:26 PM

He will be in college shape by this summer. Once he gets under the tutelage of a college staff...sky's the limit!

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 03-22-2016 09:09 PM

Don't you know our incoming Freshmen are PUMPED after a CAA regular season and tournament championship, and going toe to toe against defending national champion Duke on a nationally televised NCAA tournament game? Also have to wonder if the big from Charlotte area that Keatts is after may have had his decision made from that same game? CoC has been after him as well.

2016-2017 Men's basketball - B_Hawk06 - 03-23-2016 06:31 AM

Any word on the Wake transfer?

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 03-23-2016 02:12 PM

(03-23-2016 06:31 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Any word on the Wake transfer?

I can't imagine any of that happens until school is out. Funny reading the Wilmington Fishwrapper, where they are discussing outbound transfers from UNCW.

This is one of those hunches, and it will just confirm my conspiracy theorist nature if it comes to be...05-ban

2016-2017 Men's basketball - B_Hawk06 - 03-23-2016 02:33 PM

(03-23-2016 02:12 PM)82hawk Wrote:  
(03-23-2016 06:31 AM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  Any word on the Wake transfer?

I can't imagine any of that happens until school is out. Funny reading the Wilmington Fishwrapper, where they are discussing outbound transfers from UNCW.

This is one of those hunches, and it will just confirm my conspiracy theorist nature if it comes to be...05-ban

However it works out I hope kids land on their feet and we get better. There's no reason to think we won't. We've seen nothing but success since Coach K came aboard.

2016-2017 Men's basketball - B_Hawk06 - 04-15-2016 09:45 PM

I know bracketology is dumb, but they have us listed as a 12 seed in next year's tourney. No other CAA team listed. Still no love for the CAA.

No surprise though. Lunardi is such a hack.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - billthebighawksfan - 04-15-2016 11:51 PM

I hope that Mark Matthews is part of that equation. Y'all need to give the love for the man. Homeboy has game and needs to know that he will be a part going forward. Heck, I wouldn't mind him out there as a defacto 4 at times or 3 man because he knows how to play and is crafty plus can score in a variety of ways. Coach Brownell always said, "you are what you can guard". Well, next year if he can man some 4 at times or 3 or 2, he could cause problems on the other end. He can play 2,3,4 if that's the case, but you have to be careful with some match ups,but he's gonna cause problems the other way. Hope he's all in and around.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 04-16-2016 04:19 AM

I like Matthews as well. He just needs to play with confidence and aggressiveness. He has all the tools, the rest is in his head.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - herdfifteen - 04-16-2016 06:31 AM

(04-16-2016 04:19 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I like Matthews as well. He just needs to play with confidence and aggressiveness. He has all the tools, the rest is in his head.
I agree he has the tools, in order to gain the confidence he needs to play. Stating the obvious but shooters need to get in a rhythm and be able to miss two or three shots knowing they are not going to be replaced. We know he can stroke it, but he also handles the ball well enough and appeared to defend well enough. Matthews needed more playing time this year, it would really be tough losing a player of this caliber.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - 82hawk - 04-16-2016 07:12 AM

(04-16-2016 06:31 AM)herdfifteen Wrote:  
(04-16-2016 04:19 AM)82hawk Wrote:  I like Matthews as well. He just needs to play with confidence and aggressiveness. He has all the tools, the rest is in his head.
I agree he has the tools, in order to gain the confidence he needs to play. Stating the obvious but shooters need to get in a rhythm and be able to miss two or three shots knowing they are not going to be replaced. We know he can stroke it, but he also handles the ball well enough and appeared to defend well enough. Matthews needed more playing time this year, it would really be tough losing a player of this caliber.

PT will open up more after next year when Ingram and Flemmings graduate. Matthews will be a Junior at that point, and should be peaking. We simply have too many players fighting for the guard spots and the 4.

PG - Talley, Ingram, Richmond and Fornes can all play

2- Ingram, Richmond, Fornes, Matthews and Bryce can all play

3 - Flemmings, Bryce, Elmore and Matthews can all play

4. Flemmings, Matthews, Elmore, Cacock, Bryan, Grundy can all play

5. Cacock, Bryan, transfer

I'm not sure how next year plays out. Keatts wants scoring on the floor, and Elmore is coming in as an ideal 4 with size and diverse scoring. But, if he fills in the 4 spot, it pushes Flemmings to the 3 spot where Bryce played last year. That would push Bryce to the 2 spot, where Ingram played mostly. The fight for PG would either be Talley or one of the new guards, Fornes or Richmond.

Man we are loaded this coming year, and there just isn't enough PT to keep everyone happy and the team productive. I'm hearing great things about Fornes, and could easily see him starting at PG. But, Richmond also is a great scorer and Talley will be an experienced Jr. who could blossom as well.

Cacock, Bryan and Grundy are really the hardest to place. They are undersized post players in the Keatts system. Cacock and Bryan can play the 5, but with a potential graduate transfer coming in, they could be in second position. And with Elmore coming in at 6'9" with rebounding and scoring from all spots, they may be second fiddle at the 4. Especially if Keatts keeps Flemmings at the 4 at all.

Grundy seems to only fit at the 4.

If I were Keatts, i'd go with a big squad that can run, defend and score.

PG- Ingram/Fornes
2- Bryce/Richmond
3 - Flemmings/Matthews
4 - Elmore/Cacock
5. Transfer/Bryan

Our starters would be 6'0", 6'5", 6''5", 6'9", 6'8"

Unless something drastic happens, we'd still have trouble getting points from the 5 spot. Not sure if there is a scoring center grad transfer out there, but that's what we could use to open up the 4 spot. Bryan showed some ability to score, so maybe he steps up as an undersized 5.

RE: 2016-2017 Men's basketball - Money - 04-16-2016 09:00 AM

Fornes over Talley as a junior? Don't see it.