CSNbbs
Takeaways from App-GS game - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Takeaways from App-GS game (/thread-754463.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Takeaways from App-GS game - GaSoEagle - 10-23-2015 09:37 PM

Just back from Boone and here are a few random thoughts

1. Satterfield showed a lot of class by taking a knee on our 3 yard line as game expired. I take it as a sign of respect.
2. Met and talked to a number of App fans last night and to a person they were gracious.
3. This is a home team heavy rivalry. Since we kickstarted football in early 80s we are 3-10 in Boone and App is 4-9 in Statesboro.
4. Very good atmosphere last night. Loud and supportive crowd for App.
5. If the truth is known I think most GS fans want App to win the conference if we can t and vice versa.
6. On the game itself App s defense won it. Our defense I would argue did not play that poorly but with no offense the D just wore down.
7. App students were very into the game last night.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - appsfan - 10-23-2015 10:13 PM

I agree with your points and thanks for coming up to the Rock. I have to be honest, this was for me our most enjoyable win in several wins. We now need to focus on one team and one team only, Troy. Hopefully next year we can upset the heavy home team advantage...

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - Capt Ed - 10-24-2015 07:36 AM

Our group met many GSU fans in the motel and we enjoyed getting to know them and talking football and the game.

A universal theme in the conversations was how great the rivalry has been over the years and how much it's benefited both schools. We share a common dilemma in that it's been hard to get the respect we deserve and watch much lesser schools invited to supposedly better conferences while we waited in the old SC.

Many expressed satisfaction in seeing GSU and App rise to the top almost immediately in the SB as it vindicated our pride in our programs in an emphatic way.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - fjblair - 10-24-2015 08:10 AM

Good points, I enjoyed talking with the GS fans during the tailgate.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - moonshine - 10-24-2015 08:13 AM

I tailgated with a couple of GS fans. We made a friendly wager: loser had to eat the apple after we consumed the contents of my mason jar. Be proud eagle nation, your guys held up their end of the deal. I failed to yell, "Get After That Apple!"

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - Scrotumus - 10-24-2015 09:13 AM

It does seem like the rivalry used to be chippier but App's success of the mid 2000's plus the fact that the schools made the move at the same time together has introduced more adults into the room... more respect, less pure hate. In sports and in life that is a good thing. You want to be challenged by the success of your rival but you want to do things the right way and give and gain respect.

Also, one thing I think we've all forgotten that calmed a lot of the hate down that bears mentioning... Jerry Moore and his wife's treatment of GS DB Hudson Presume in 2009 when he suffered his injury in Boone. That was the ultimate in leadership, compassion, class, and compassion and transcended either football or a rivalry.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - AppMtneer08 - 10-24-2015 09:52 AM

(10-24-2015 09:13 AM)Scrotumus Wrote:  Also, one thing I think we've all forgotten that calmed a lot of the hate down that bears mentioning... Jerry Moore and his wife's treatment of GS DB Hudson Presume in 2009 when he suffered his injury in Boone. That was the ultimate in leadership, compassion, class, and compassion and transcended either football or a rivalry.

IIRC, they visited him in the hospital after the game, right?

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - trapdrawApp - 10-24-2015 10:24 AM

(10-24-2015 09:52 AM)AppMtneer08 Wrote:  
(10-24-2015 09:13 AM)Scrotumus Wrote:  Also, one thing I think we've all forgotten that calmed a lot of the hate down that bears mentioning... Jerry Moore and his wife's treatment of GS DB Hudson Presume in 2009 when he suffered his injury in Boone. That was the ultimate in leadership, compassion, class, and compassion and transcended either football or a rivalry.

Margaret went with him to the hospital. I also remember in 13 when McKinnon pulled up lame on the way out of bounds and our guys let him get to the sideline without blowing him up. That was one of those moments when you were proud to see that those young men realized that it was just a game. Anyway, it seems like a lot of both fanbases have grown up a little bit and enjoy the rivalry without making it juvenile. I hope that work allows me to get back to the Boro next year.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - gsu_paintballer - 10-24-2015 10:46 AM

We tailgated in a big GS group at Sagebrush, and only made conversation with a few App fans on the way over, but they were all gracious. Had some jawing students annoy us on the walk back, but we just let them enjoy their win. Only ran into one adult fan that was bothersome, but again, I just let him do his thing. I'd say one bad apple is pretty good out of all the people we were around.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - Loyaleagle - 10-24-2015 11:01 AM

[/quote]

Margaret went with him to the hospital. I also remember in 13 when McKinnon pulled up lame on the way out of bounds and our guys let him get to the sideline without blowing him up. That was one of those moments when you were proud to see that those young men realized that it was just a game. Anyway, it seems like a lot of both fanbases have grown up a little bit and enjoy the rivalry without making it juvenile. I hope that work allows me to get back to the Boro next year.
[/quote]

+1. We really have (and are continuing to) enjoy this trip to Boone, other than those three hours Thursday night that I'm trying hard to forget. Best of luck the rest of the way, Mountaineers, hope to see lots of you in the 'boro next year.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - Loyaleagle - 10-24-2015 11:01 AM

[/quote]

[/quote]

+1. We really have (and are continuing to) enjoy this trip to Boone, other than those three hours Thursday night that I'm trying hard to forget. Best of luck the rest of the way, Mountaineers, hope to see lots of you in the 'boro next year.

Re: RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - SBEagle - 10-24-2015 11:27 AM

I think he didn't have any family at the game and Mrs. Moore played the role of mom for him. Went to hospital and stayed with him. Pure class from the Moore family.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - Scrotumus - 10-24-2015 11:41 AM

(10-24-2015 11:27 AM)SBEagle Wrote:  

I think he didn't have any family at the game and Mrs. Moore played the role of mom for him. Went to hospital and stayed with him. Pure class from the Moore family.

That is correct.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - appst89 - 10-24-2015 07:29 PM

Seeing the comments from the GS fans makes me almost as proud as the win itself. There is no reason we can't be gracious hosts, welcome our opponents to our town, treat them well and still hope to win the game. There is just no reason to be a jerk to an opposing fan who took the time and made the effort to come to our home to support their team.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - Godzilla - 10-24-2015 08:06 PM

My takeaway: App St is the real deal this season, I doubted yall when the year began but I have definitely been proved wrong.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - bullitt_60 - 10-24-2015 08:21 PM

I'm still gutted but keep reminding myself that winning the first 11 conference games in a row is pretty stout. Also if you look at the history of this game, the loser often goes on to accomplish great things. The 1999 team, the best GS team I have personally seen, lost to App and went on to win the national championship. With a bowl win, we still have a chance at a 10 win season. I hope the fan base, particularly the students, realize this and show up big for the TXST game.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - NashvilleEagle - 10-26-2015 11:35 AM

(10-23-2015 09:37 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Just back from Boone and here are a few random thoughts

1. Satterfield showed a lot of class by taking a knee on our 3 yard line as game expired. I take it as a sign of respect.

Satterfield also outcoached Fritz in every phase of the game. I think it is time that WF is removed from the most eligible coach list and we see SS.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - eaglewraith - 10-26-2015 11:42 AM

(10-26-2015 11:35 AM)NashvilleEagle Wrote:  
(10-23-2015 09:37 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  Just back from Boone and here are a few random thoughts

Satterfield also outcoached Fritz in every phase of the game. I think it is time that WF is removed from the most eligible coach list and we see SS.

I wouldn't say he outdid us on special teams. The miss doesn't count when evaluating that, because to attempt the FG was the right call, it's not the coach's fault we didn't execute.

Our return coverage is still impressive. 11.69 yards per kick return and .80 yards per punt return against G5 schools. Our numbers against all competition are pretty similar, if not a bit better.

So we've got that going for us which is nice. I'm definitely glad to see the focus on special teams this year.

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - hendoapp - 10-26-2015 11:43 AM

No! Things are good just like they are ! Lol

RE: Takeaways from App-GS game - eaglewraith - 10-26-2015 11:46 AM

(10-26-2015 11:43 AM)hendoapp Wrote:  

No! Things are good just like they are ! Lol

I don't think Satterfield would say no to stupid amounts of money if it came along, but I do think it would take a significant offer to make him leave a place that's been such a big part of his life.

So you're probably safe from all but a P5 contender more than likely.