CSNbbs
Congratulations NMSU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Congratulations NMSU (/thread-748249.html)

Pages: 1 2

Congratulations NMSU - Bubba Bexley - 09-09-2015 08:19 PM

... for being named one of the top 200 national universities by U.S. News & World Report.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/page+17

Congratulations NMSU - slycat - 09-09-2015 09:06 PM

Congrats indeed

RE: Congratulations NMSU - NuMexAg - 09-09-2015 09:16 PM

Thanks.
We'd probably be rated a little higher if it wasn't for our football program...

RE: Congratulations NMSU - VandalBasher - 09-09-2015 09:48 PM

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/search?name=University+of+Idaho&state=

Are there any other SBC members?

RE: Congratulations NMSU - runamuck - 09-10-2015 07:13 AM

(09-09-2015 09:48 PM)VandalBasher Wrote:  http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/search?name=University+of+Idaho&state=

many top schools were given RNP and the several that I checked out on there had only a few words said about them. I'm glad for nmsu which I consider a fine school. I dont know what research these rankings are based on. BTW they have Idaho at 168 tied with wyoming

RE: Congratulations NMSU - CoastalAlum2011 - 09-10-2015 07:40 AM

Says Coastal is the #63 Regional University.

04-rock02-13-banana

RE: Congratulations NMSU - panama - 09-10-2015 07:51 AM

(09-09-2015 09:48 PM)VandalBasher Wrote:  http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/search?name=University+of+Idaho&state=

We got a RNP but did extremely well in other undergraduate areas.

http://news.gsu.edu/2015/09/09/u-s-news-ranks-georgia-state-among-nations-leading-teaching-innovative-colleges-and-universities/

RE: Congratulations NMSU - BurlingtonApp - 09-10-2015 07:56 AM

We're #10 regional university in the South. I know the research universities think research is all that matters but we're excellent in the actual undergraduate education part of college.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - CoastalAlum2011 - 09-10-2015 08:00 AM

(09-10-2015 07:56 AM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  We're #10 regional university in the South. I know the research universities think research is all that matters but we're excellent in the actual undergraduate education part of college.

Is a beard sampling part of the admissions process?

RE: Congratulations NMSU - D'Isiah T. Billings-Clyde - 09-10-2015 08:47 AM

(09-10-2015 07:56 AM)BurlingtonApp Wrote:  We're #10 regional university in the South. I know the research universities think research is all that matters but we're excellent in the actual undergraduate education part of college.

(Note: I'm biased as I'm Executive Director of an international business school teaching organization, as well as manage conferences for other such business management organizations)

You're spot on that research is 'king' in most of these rankings which makes them pretty worthless. I did my undergrad and MBA at Coastal. My younger brothers have MBAs from Columbia and NYU. The reality is that the education I received at Coastal is significantly beyond what they received at two of the most highly touted institutions in the nation. Not once did my brother at NYU have a PhD. Every 'professor' was a teaching assistant who was either an Executive MBA student further down the line or a PhD student.

At teaching institutions where research only qualifies for ~40% of the workload, you get a legitimate education (often at a fraction of the price).

Again, I'm biased, but these lists are always too top heavy with research institutions. It is fantastic that you have the big name researcher on faculty, but how often does he or she step foot into a classroom? Almost never.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - panama - 09-10-2015 11:56 AM

I think if you think that having a Phd or two teach classes to you at Coastal means you had a better education that people who attended NYU you will find you are sadly mistaken.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - ericsaid - 09-10-2015 12:20 PM

(09-10-2015 11:56 AM)panama Wrote:  I think if you think that having a Phd or two teach classes to you at Coastal means you had a better education that people who attended NYU you will find you are sadly mistaken.

The idea of leaving college $250,000 in the hole never really appealed to me.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - BurlingtonApp - 09-10-2015 12:42 PM

Yeah NYU you'll be leaving in crazy debt. But most of the Ivy's are free if your parents make under 70k I believe. And above that to about 150K, I think it's only 10% of the family income.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - theothermav - 09-10-2015 01:01 PM

(09-10-2015 07:13 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

many top schools were given RNP and the several that I checked out on there had only a few words said about them. I'm glad for nmsu which I consider a fine school. I dont know what research these rankings are based on. BTW they have Idaho at 168 tied with wyoming

The amount of research is not heavily factored into UN&WR's rankings since it is performed at post-graduate level. The ranking is weighed largely on undergraduate performances such as acceptance rate, student retention, graduation rates, class sizes, alumni giving rate, etc... Large public urban universities with predominantly non-traditional student body such as UTA, GAST, or even U of Houston (#187) will struggle to gain high rankings on UN&WR regardless of how much research is performed. UTA's engineering is at #90--the highest in Sun Belt and CUSA--but it has minimal effect on overall ranking.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - TheMackAttack - 09-10-2015 02:14 PM

(09-10-2015 08:00 AM)CoastalAlum2011 Wrote:  Is a beard sampling part of the admissions process?

Yes, it qualifies you for a 10%-67% bump in test scores in the admissions process depending on the quality of beard. Naturally, I shaved before I applied because I wanted to get in simply on my merits as a student.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - MJG - 09-10-2015 03:58 PM

(09-09-2015 08:19 PM)Bubba Bexley Wrote:  ... for being named one of the top 200 national universities by U.S. News & World Report.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/page+17

I thought they already were and maybe slipped down a little.

Idaho is 168 down from 161 We were ahead of one P5 team WVU. That last part is random I know.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - rokamortis - 09-10-2015 04:03 PM

What I want to know is how is SC State a national university? At their peak they had no more than 6,000 students, now les than 3,000 and have been in budget shortfalls for years which have led them to being put on probation by SACS. And how are they ranked higher than NMSU?

Re: RE: Congratulations NMSU - panama - 09-10-2015 07:02 PM

(09-10-2015 12:20 PM)ericsaid Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 11:56 AM)panama Wrote:  I think if you think that having a Phd or two teach classes to you at Coastal means you had a better education that people who attended NYU you will find you are sadly mistaken.

The idea of leaving college $250,000 in the hole never really appealed to me.

So now the issue is cost?

Re: RE: Congratulations NMSU - panama - 09-10-2015 07:05 PM

(09-10-2015 01:01 PM)theothermav Wrote:  
(09-10-2015 07:13 AM)runamuck Wrote:  

The amount of research is not heavily factored into UN&WR's rankings since it is performed at post-graduate level. The ranking is weighed largely on undergraduate performances such as acceptance rate, student retention, graduation rates, class sizes, alumni giving rate, etc... Large public urban universities with predominantly non-traditional student body such as UTA, GAST, or even U of Houston (#187) will struggle to gain high rankings on UN&WR regardless of how much research is performed. UTA's engineering is at #90--the highest in Sun Belt and CUSA--but it has minimal effect on overall ranking.

And I would put any of those schools up against Coastal and their PhDs teaching classes.

RE: Congratulations NMSU - UTArlingtonMaverick - 09-10-2015 07:29 PM

Us news is influential and those who like their ranking are justifiably pleased, but their system is also highly criticized and subject to manipulation. Smallish liberal arts schools are favored and state flagships do pretty well. It is a real mix of types. Us news probably would not be around anymore except for their now widely copied annual rankings.

The Center for University Performance, now out of Arizona State, is one the most credible and transparent. By this, UT Arlington is a top 200 university by a number of measures that pertain to research and graduate work.

For classifications, Carnegie is reputable (but some schools misrepresent their results as a ranking).

In any case, NMSU is truly a great university. Congrats