CSNbbs
JMU with new alum push for FBS - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: JMU with new alum push for FBS (/thread-744649.html)

JMU with new alum push for FBS - nogretheogre - 08-07-2015 05:33 PM

Their boards are always dotted with posts related to this, but it seems that the alums and fans are getting more organized. We might be saying goodbye to them soon?

http://jmu2fbs.com/

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Paulbintheburg - 08-08-2015 07:45 AM

Where would they go? Don't you need an actual invite to a conference to join one?

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - ttgwm02 - 08-08-2015 08:56 AM

(08-08-2015 07:45 AM)Paulbintheburg Wrote:  Where would they go? Don't you need an actual invite to a conference to join one?

Racing to a red light ....

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Rocco - 08-08-2015 10:19 AM

(08-08-2015 07:45 AM)Paulbintheburg Wrote:  Where would they go? Don't you need an actual invite to a conference to join one?

They'll get that phone call from the SEC any day now. That Harrisonburg TV market is irresistible.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - tribe_pride - 08-08-2015 10:31 AM

To be fair, most of those guys are fine with SBC. That said, it seems like its the administration that needs convincing and not the fans at this point.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Tribal - 08-08-2015 10:41 AM

A million posts can't be wrong.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - ttgwm02 - 08-08-2015 10:41 AM

(08-08-2015 10:31 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  To be fair, most of those guys are fine with SBC. That said, it seems like its the administration that needs convincing and not the fans at this point.

For good reason. Seems like the administration have maintained perspective. Even if JMU became a dominant power in the Sun Belt, that is still equivalent to being the biggest midget in an old school WWE match.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - nogretheogre - 08-08-2015 11:40 AM

(08-08-2015 10:41 AM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 10:31 AM)tribe_pride Wrote:  To be fair, most of those guys are fine with SBC. That said, it seems like its the administration that needs convincing and not the fans at this point.

For good reason. Seems like the administration have maintained perspective. Even if JMU became a dominant power in the Sun Belt, that is still equivalent to being the biggest midget in an old school WWE match.

Regardless, if the voices get loud enough and the green gets big enough, they will likely go that route. It seems that the momentum for it is building.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - billymac - 08-08-2015 12:02 PM

It looks like the same group of folks, just in a new setting. They have (admirably) a solid base of loyalists that want to move up, but it has always appeared that there isn't widespread agreement across the alumni base that this is the best plan. As was said before, the current administration seems to have a different mindset for the athletic program (at least as far as football is concerned) and is not currently considering the possibility.

Now, that being said, I have heard, that if they can get the interest of a Conference that would help BOTH programs (FB & MBB), then it would be easier to convince the powers that be that a move would be a good thing. The SBC is simply not one of those settings that would solve that issue. There are folks at JMU that feel that the growth of basketball into a known national entity would be an easier fix than the football program.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Rocco - 08-08-2015 03:22 PM

(08-08-2015 11:40 AM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 10:41 AM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  

Regardless, if the voices get loud enough and the green gets big enough, they will likely go that route. It seems that the momentum for it is building.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

JMU brought in more in revenue than every other Sun Belt team. P5 schools are moving away from FCS teams, but the next step is to stop playing bottom feeding FBS teams. The P5 is more or less a closed set right now. But if JMU fans really want to compete for a spot for the New Orleans Bowl, they can go right ahead.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - nogretheogre - 08-08-2015 04:01 PM

(08-08-2015 03:22 PM)Rocco Wrote:  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

JMU brought in more in revenue than every other Sun Belt team. P5 schools are moving away from FCS teams, but the next step is to stop playing bottom feeding FBS teams. The P5 is more or less a closed set right now. But if JMU fans really want to compete for a spot for the New Orleans Bowl, they can go right ahead.

And it looks like more than every CUSA team as well...just edging out their leader, ODU?

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Tribal - 08-08-2015 05:12 PM

The average Dukes fan would rather see them play UD, UR, Nova, and W&M over GA State and Ark St. GSU and Apply St would be nice draws so it's a wash. Very few JMU fans would appreciate away trips to Louisiana and points west so they'll lose the nice close trips in VA and MD. I think the average Dukes fan is in sync with their administration which is why they're still in the "lowly" CAA.

Should they leave, I hope the CAA does all it can to avoid letting JMU pull a reverse UR where they play only football in a FBS conference. I don't think the SBC would only take them for football, though.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Tribe Fan - 08-08-2015 07:07 PM

(08-08-2015 05:12 PM)Tribal Wrote:  The average Dukes fan would rather see them play UD, UR, Nova, and W&M over GA State and Ark St. GSU and Apply St would be nice draws so it's a wash. Very few JMU fans would appreciate away trips to Louisiana and points west so they'll lose the nice close trips in VA and MD. I think the average Dukes fan is in sync with their administration which is why they're still in the "lowly" CAA.

Should they leave, I hope the CAA does all it can to avoid letting JMU pull a reverse UR where they play only football in a FBS conference. I don't think the SBC would only take them for football, though.

Agreed 100%...Either you are in or out...

On another note... I want to congratulate JMU on the induction of Charles Haley into the NFL Hall of Fame.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - TribeNiner - 08-09-2015 05:02 PM

(08-08-2015 04:01 PM)nogretheogre Wrote:  
(08-08-2015 03:22 PM)Rocco Wrote:  http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

And it looks like more than every CUSA team as well...just edging out their leader, ODU?

Am I reading this right - of their $43 million in revenue, $35 million was created from subsidies - so what they really brought in was $8 million?

Of our $23 million, $12 million was created from subsidies, so we really brought in $11 million ($3 million more than JMU)?

Of course, most of the schools with high subsidies tend to be schools that have done recent major capital improvements, I'd imagine.

Someone with more background/understanding on the subject feel free to jump in and correct this.

RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Paulbintheburg - 08-10-2015 06:21 AM

That is revenue generated from athletics, not donations, correct?

If it is, it would include television contracts, NCAA tourney shares, etc, so that would likely be about right, I would think WM Mens BBall attendance was better than JMU's, so I could see where that difference comes from.

It actually seems JMU brings more added value to a middling conference than vice versa, so not sure why they would want to make that move.

Re: RE: JMU with new alum push for FBS - Tribal - 08-10-2015 06:52 AM

(08-10-2015 06:21 AM)Paulbintheburg Wrote:  It actually seems JMU brings more added value to a middling conference than vice versa, so not sure why they would want to make that move.

Because ODU did it. Some JMU fans can't shutter the thought of the Monarchs surpassing them.