CSNbbs
Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video (/thread-736936.html)

Pages: 1 2

Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Tribeheart - 05-07-2015 10:44 PM

Stumbled across this little piece on YouTube that apparently was put together as part of Bruce Parkhill's send-off when he left for Penn State in '83. I had never seen it and it was sure a lot of fun taking the trip back....Look forward to the day that Kaplan is packed to the rafters again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L67t148fWQc

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Big Tribe - 05-08-2015 06:24 AM

Certainly a great piece of W&M hoops memory.

You've got to love the old uniforms...especially the short pants!

And an extremely creative video,

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - zablenoise - 05-08-2015 07:17 AM

William & Mary seems like it used to be way cooler

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - NC Tribe - 05-08-2015 08:19 AM

The Hall rocked back then.

Is the game film featured in this video from the beat down of Wake in the '82-'83 season?

That was my all-time favorite game at the Hall.

Next would be the game where W&M almost blew a huge lead against Richmond and Moran blocked a potential tieing 3 at the buzzer to secure the Tribe's first place tie with UNCW in the last regular season game in 1997-1998. After that I would go to Ciepliki's 32 point game against Navy in the ECAC South semis in 1985 hosted at the Hall.

It is bad when you have to rank losses among your top games of all-time.

Just got to keep winning. Go Tribe!

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Tribe32 - 05-08-2015 08:24 AM

I think that you need to understand what it was like in the 75-80 timeframe in Williamsburg and at the college. Yes it was "cooler"

1) Drinking age was 18 and beer was available at places on campus like the Wig. People got amped up for the games if you know what I mean.
2) Bar scene was different. Paul's was new after the Dirty Deli closed on the block that know has Mad About Chocolate, etc. Green Leafe was probably cleaner, but not much. There was a place called the Cave on Jamestown Road. I think the Rainbow's End closed by then also.
3) Long hair and full length mink coats were phasing out and Disco was phasing in.
4) All the old fans from today's Tribe games were 30 years younger.

(05-08-2015 07:17 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  William & Mary seems like it used to be way cooler

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - billymac - 05-08-2015 08:39 AM

It was a great atmosphere during that period. Of course, playing Wake Forest at The Hall, helped raise the number of fannies in the seats (as did UVA, ODU, UNC, etc...).

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Got Ribe - 05-08-2015 09:29 AM

(05-08-2015 08:24 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  There was a place called the Cave on Jamestown Road.

Now there's a dive I haven't thought about in 30 years! If I recall correctly, it was literally decorated to be cave-like. You have to wonder why that marketing plan didn't catch on!

But good memories in this thread, even if I can't get the damn song out of my head.

As NC Tribe said, we just need to keep winning, and as fans we need to keep pushing. We really are on our way!

Got Ribe!

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - WMTRIBE75 - 05-08-2015 10:50 AM

(05-08-2015 08:19 AM)NC Tribe Wrote:  The Hall rocked back then.

Is the game film featured in this video from the beat down of Wake in the '82-'83 season?

That was my all-time favorite game at the Hall.

Next would be the game where W&M almost blew a huge lead against Richmond and Moran blocked a potential tieing 3 at the buzzer to secure the Tribe's first place tie with UNCW in the last regular season game in 1997-1998. After that I would go to Ciepliki's 32 point game against Navy in the ECAC South semis in 1985 hosted at the Hall.

It is bad when you have to rank losses among your top games of all-time.

Just got to keep winning. Go Tribe!
My favorite is still beating UNC in 1977. The place was deafening and emotional. With what I experienced in March in Baltimore, I know that we are on to something special. The impromptu "Let's Go Tribe" chant in the Ale House before the championship game was pretty special. Hope that they want us back next year.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Tribeheart - 05-08-2015 10:55 AM

Ah, the Dirty Deli....many nights of thumper and zoom schwartz figliano...

As the bartender, with many nights of opening and closing the Pub in the basement of the Hospitality House, it still pains me to this day to hear Donna Summers, KC and the Sunshine Band, et al....tough nights crawling in bed afterwards at 3am to get up for an 8am class.

Never saw Bruce at any time without every piece of hair in perfect position. Always will love the memories of playing ball in Blow with Barry, Hornsby, Mojo, Satterthwaite.....

Revamping the Hall to fit today's mid-major landscape of a nicer medium capacity facility will put us in position to enhance the atmosphere...Program is on solid ground.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - 62Indian - 05-08-2015 11:03 AM

(05-08-2015 08:24 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I think that you need to understand what it was like in the 75-80 timeframe in Williamsburg and at the college. Yes it was "cooler"

1) Drinking age was 18 and beer was available at places on campus like the Wig. People got amped up for the games if you know what I mean.
2) Bar scene was different. Paul's was new after the Dirty Deli closed on the block that know has Mad About Chocolate, etc. Green Leafe was probably cleaner, but not much. There was a place called the Cave on Jamestown Road. I think the Rainbow's End closed by then also.
3) Long hair and full length mink coats were phasing out and Disco was phasing in.

(05-08-2015 07:17 AM)zablenoise Wrote:  William & Mary seems like it used to be way cooler
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not many are aware of this anymore, but the drinking age used to be fixed by each individual state. The Federal Government did not like this so they raised the drinking age level to age 21 and forced all the states to comply by withholding Highway funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age. The intentions of the law were good, but like almost all Federal edicts there were "Unintended consequences" which have not been good. Because 90% of college students are under the age of 21, this law [like National Prohabition in the 1920] forced drinking by college students to go underground because any drinking under 21 was now illegal. This has resulted in binge drinking and increased drunkenness among college students [wittness Spring Break] not to mention the fact that excess booze is a factor in all sexual assults among college age kids.

In the 1950s and 60s when the drinking age was 18 all the local restaurants legally served beer and wine to customers who were over age 18 but the beer was 3.2 % alcohol [vs approximately 6% today] and not many students drank the available wine. You could drink a lot of 3.2 beer without getting very drunk but you could get a buzz on. There was no drinking or possession of alcohol allowed on campus. You could purchase hard liquor at the State ABC store but [I think] you had to be 21 and show an ID. At fraternity parties on Friday/Saturday nights there was usually a "punch" flavored with friut juice and grain alcohol [purchased in bulk by a Senior Brother] and some folks did get innebriated but they were the exception - and very fer women became inebriated because it was simply not the thing to do.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Blow Gym rat - 05-08-2015 01:36 PM

(05-08-2015 11:03 AM)62Indian Wrote:  Not many are aware of this anymore, but the drinking age used to be fixed by each individual state. The Federal Government did not like this so they raised the drinking age level to age 21 and forced all the states to comply by withholding Highway funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age.

This happened early in the Reagan administration following pressure by the Mothers Against Drunk Driving group. For some reason the change in Virginia was made in two steps -- first the age was raised to 19 for beer (21 for everything else), and then all the way to 21. IIRC, those already old enough to drink were "grandfathered" on the second change but not the first one. I do remember, with certainty, that I was old enough to drink beer legally for a while and then they changed the age and I couldn't anymore for a year or so.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - wanm65 - 05-08-2015 02:08 PM

Oh yes the tall Pabst Blue Ribbon for 25 cents on Thursday night to watch The Fugitive :>)

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - NC Tribe - 05-08-2015 02:51 PM

(05-08-2015 11:03 AM)62Indian Wrote:  
(05-08-2015 08:24 AM)Tribe32 Wrote:  I think that you need to understand what it was like in the 75-80 timeframe in Williamsburg and at the college. Yes it was "cooler"

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not many are aware of this anymore, but the drinking age used to be fixed by each individual state. The Federal Government did not like this so they raised the drinking age level to age 21 and forced all the states to comply by withholding Highway funds from any state that did not raise the drinking age. The intentions of the law were good, but like almost all Federal edicts there were "Unintended consequences" which have not been good. Because 90% of college students are under the age of 21, this law [like National Prohabition in the 1920] forced drinking by college students to go underground because any drinking under 21 was now illegal. This has resulted in binge drinking and increased drunkenness among college students [wittness Spring Break] not to mention the fact that excess booze is a factor in all sexual assults among college age kids.

In the 1950s and 60s when the drinking age was 18 all the local restaurants legally served beer and wine to customers who were over age 18 but the beer was 3.2 % alcohol [vs approximately 6% today] and not many students drank the available wine. You could drink a lot of 3.2 beer without getting very drunk but you could get a buzz on. There was no drinking or possession of alcohol allowed on campus. You could purchase hard liquor at the State ABC store but [I think] you had to be 21 and show an ID. At fraternity parties on Friday/Saturday nights there was usually a "punch" flavored with friut juice and grain alcohol [purchased in bulk by a Senior Brother] and some folks did get innebriated but they were the exception - and very fer women became inebriated because it was simply not the thing to do.

Not disputing all of what you say, but there was a fair amount of binge drinking when the legal age was 18. One thing i do know is never, ever announce that the booze will be cut off at a certain time. I attended a company Christmas party where they did this to cut down on drunk driving. It had the opposite affect because everyone chugged early and often because they were going to cut off the booze. We were really lucky half the company wasn't arrested or killed that night/morning.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - NC Tribe - 05-08-2015 02:54 PM

I remember the keg parties in the Hall when they would drive the beer trucks, or were they trailers, right in and the taps were on the side and you just served yourself. I think they just called them "Hall Parties"
I just loved that sticky rubber floor.
They served beer at the movies in the Hall too, didn't they?

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - nj alum - 05-08-2015 03:11 PM

I don't know how to react to this.

if you don't know how W&M used to be, that probably means that most, if not all, of the folks in charge don't have a clue either, and therein lies a big disconnect between my generation, and the students and administrators of today, and how we perceive the various challenges facing W&M sports.

That video ... that is how the Hall used to be on a nightly basis in the 70's and 80's.

What is very sad is ...that video should be front and center! I've never seen that before it was linked here.

What other treasures are not used?

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Mrs. Got Ribe - 05-08-2015 03:12 PM

The Cave! Keg parties in the Hall! What great memories. I had forgotten about those two.

Yep, they had those same beer trucks there for movies.

1983--my senior year. I loved Parkhill basketball at the Hall.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - zablenoise - 05-08-2015 04:25 PM

(05-08-2015 03:11 PM)nj alum Wrote:  I don't know how to react to this.

if you don't know how W&M used to be, that probably means that most, if not all, of the folks in charge don't have a clue either, and therein lies a big disconnect between my generation, and the students and administrators of today, and how we perceive the various challenges facing W&M sports.

That video ... that is how the Hall used to be on a nightly basis in the 70's and 80's.

What is very sad is ...that video should be front and center! I've never seen that before it was linked here.

What other treasures are not used?

Imagine how I felt. I fully expected THAT to be my college (and college sports) experience. And instead I got what it is today. William & Mary has made some massive, wonderful strides in the last few decades but the culture has suffered. Of course this is just my opinion. If you talk to most students and many administrators they'll tell you that the culture is stronger and better than ever.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - wanm65 - 05-08-2015 04:35 PM

You mean the culture of study & me me me?

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Big Tribe - 05-08-2015 07:14 PM

I would tread lightly talking about today's students and culture on campus.

We are on campus a great deal, not just with student-athletes but at career events for all students.

I find the students at W&M today to be very motivated, remarkably diverse, and talented both in the classroom and off. Most of them I have found, and happy to report this includes the student-athletes, love the College
and genuinely appreciate the education they are getting.

They are a interested not just in studies, but make up literally hundreds of interest organizations and sports
clubs and teams of all sorts.

I have met very few I wouldn't call great young people.

RE: Bruce Parkhill Tribute Video - Sitting bull - 05-09-2015 09:24 AM

(05-08-2015 08:39 AM)billymac Wrote:  It was a great atmosphere during that period. Of course, playing Wake Forest at The Hall, helped raise the number of fannies in the seats (as did UVA, ODU, UNC, etc...).

Billy, maybe you can pass on to the powers that be. In our historical archives, they show this as a road game at Wake - obviously not. Tribe won this 80-63 at the Hall, one of our top seasons and first NIT year.

Parkhill, along with his recruits Lowenhaupt and Enoch, was really the catalyst for the environment you see here. Prior to Parkhill (1975?), the games at the Hall were really not much different than the past 30 years. The tipping point was a game - I think 1975 - against a highly touted Virginia Tech team. The Hall that night was near full and had the electricity never seen prior. We won that game 76-69 - and from there, launched a near 10 year run where the culture and environment at the Hall was very similar to this video. Then came Swenson.

The seed though was planted. The enthusiasm is still there, just 30 years dormant. It awoke at the CAA Mason final - more recently our game with Northeastern this year and the huge following to the tourney in Baltimore.