CSNbbs
Towson coach on transfers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: CAAbbs (/forum-676.html)
+---- Forum: CAA Conference Talk (/forum-677.html)
+----- Forum: William & Mary (/forum-691.html)
+----- Thread: Towson coach on transfers (/thread-735136.html)

Towson coach on transfers - TribeNomad - 04-19-2015 01:35 PM

Quote during wrap up of their Spring Game......

On transfers

Recruiting is 365 days a year, it never ends. There are 43 Division I spring games today. There are going to be a whole lot of unhappy players. Schools that are bigger than our. They'll be calling.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - mrjoolius - 04-19-2015 01:43 PM

I don't blame them. That's their football model and it has paid off in the recent past for them. It doesn't work the same way at William & Mary, but it doesn't bother me.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - wanm65 - 04-19-2015 01:59 PM

It has also worked well for UD, JMU & UR.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - Tribe4SF - 04-19-2015 02:03 PM

Transfer king of the CAA is currently Stony Brook. Everybody does it, including us.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - wanm65 - 04-19-2015 02:37 PM

(04-19-2015 02:03 PM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  Transfer king of the CAA is currently Stony Brook. Everybody does it, including us.

OK so who are #2, 3 & 4?

Towson
UD
UR/JMU

RE: Towson coach on transfers - Big Tribe - 04-19-2015 02:48 PM

We may have one, occasionally two in a given year....but these guys have as many as ten-twelve on a roster at a given time.

Difficult to get into W&M as a transfer; you've got to have the marks and, equally important,
the very low flunk out rate at the College (we graduate 90%) doesn't leave much room for any kind of transfer.

Schools like Stony Brook, Delaware and JMU have much higher flunk out rates and more room for transfers.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - wanm65 - 04-19-2015 02:51 PM

Maybe the new excellence implementation will make transfers easier if we want to get a few.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - Tribal - 04-19-2015 02:58 PM

I don't care for Transfer U but I wouldn't have been mad if a stud QB would have transferred to W&M 4 years ago.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - Tribe4SF - 04-19-2015 04:14 PM

(04-19-2015 02:48 PM)Big Tribe Wrote:  We may have one, occasionally two in a given year....but these guys have as many as ten-twelve on a roster at a given time.

Difficult to get into W&M as a transfer; you've got to have the marks and, equally important,
the very low flunk out rate at the College (we graduate 90%) doesn't leave much room for any kind of transfer.

Schools like Stony Brook, Delaware and JMU have much higher flunk out rates and more room for transfers.

Just to keep it on a positive note for both us, and our conference mates, I don't know of a "FLUNK OUT RATE". Of the 10% of our students who didn't graduate on time, more than 80% of them transferred to other schools. People leave school for all kinds of reasons. We had two football players transfer in January. One to Delaware and one to VCU.

Re: RE: Towson coach on transfers - Tribal - 04-19-2015 04:47 PM

(04-19-2015 04:14 PM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(04-19-2015 02:48 PM)Big Tribe Wrote:  We may have one, occasionally two in a given year....but these guys have as many as ten-twelve on a roster at a given time.

Just to keep it on a positive note for both us, and our conference mates, I don't know of a "FLUNK OUT RATE". Of the 10% of our students who didn't graduate on time, more than 80% of them transferred to other schools. People leave school for all kinds of reasons. We had two football players transfer in January. One to Delaware and one to VCU.

And, the one who transferred to UD was on the All-CAA Academic Team while at W&M so he certainly wasn't a flunky. His pop played for the Blue Hens.

Most of us held more than one job in our lifetime. We didn't always leave because the jobs sucked or because we had some issue. College student-athletes, teenagers, are no different.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - Big Tribe - 04-19-2015 06:38 PM

The fact remains that with such a high graduation rate, around 90%, there isn't much room for transfers, making transferring to W&M very difficult.

Whether it's by flunk out, joining the military, playing hopscotch, doing other things, etc. many of our conference mates have much lower graduation rates that enable it to be a snap to accept and bring in transfers.

I don't say it's wrong..if you've got the room because a class is just , say, 70% of its original strength, then bring in all the transfers you want.

But at W&M you need both high marks and the room to bring them in.

That's just the way it is.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - hktribefan - 04-19-2015 07:05 PM

You play the hand you're dealt, and Ambrose is using every tool available to him to try to win at Towson.

RE: Towson coach on transfers - zablenoise - 04-20-2015 10:18 AM

I don't hate coaches who take transfers. But I do hate Rob Ambrose. He's slimy.