CSNbbs
Will a 12th team be added this spring? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Will a 12th team be added this spring? (/thread-735023.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Will a 12th team be added this spring? - GaSoEagle - 04-17-2015 07:36 PM

I have heard talk of EKU being put up for a vote at Spring meetings in Montgomery next month. I don t know if I buy it. I know the desire for another eastern all sports school and a partner for App is there but the unknown about what happens to UAB and if CUSA adds a 14th if UAB is booted probably is enough to cause the Belt to wait another year.

Do any of you think we add a 12th this year?

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - Bobcat87 - 04-17-2015 07:53 PM

My guess, until the conference sees how "other things shake out" . . . . We won't do anything . . . .

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - RamblinRedWolf44 - 04-17-2015 08:02 PM

I would be highly shocked.

Especially with news about conference title regulations no longer requiring 12 members, the rush to add a member is gone. I would guess SBC officals are gonna sit pretty with where we're at, let NMSU's and Idaho's contracts run out and they'll play the "wait and see game" (see how the landscape changes, if EKU/MO State/other potential FCS members advance themselves and their program to be FBS worthy, etc).

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - TheRevSWT - 04-17-2015 08:03 PM

I think if JMU, Missouri State, or EKU can make the move, then they will have a home with us. I just don't think any of them will be put to a vote this year.

I do think Benson will push Liberty again, but I think it will be the same as the last few years, where they will not get the vote.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - GaSoEagle - 04-17-2015 08:09 PM

I don t think the drive for 12 is about football anymore since 12 is not required anymore for a champ game. I think it is about getting 12 now to divide into divisions for other sports.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - Bobcat87 - 04-17-2015 08:11 PM

(04-17-2015 08:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I don t think the drive for 12 is about football anymore since 12 is not required anymore for a champ game. I think it is about getting 12 now to divide into divisions for other sports.

Agree with this, especially with COA coming into effect . . . . If the conference can offset COA with travel savings, then getting to 12 and divisions makes good sense . . .

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - DoubleAggie - 04-17-2015 08:30 PM

(04-17-2015 07:53 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  My guess, until the conference sees how "other things shake out" . . . . We won't do anything . . . .

Especially since the Sun Belt meeting appears to be first.

Might work to come up with contingency plans, but given that external factors might occur, waiting makes sense.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - MJG - 04-17-2015 10:20 PM

The biggest source of league revenue is the CFP money with the terrible TV deal.

A travel partner for APP is needed to save money.
The playoff money is capped at twelve but the payout is per team.
So having less than twelve for football cost the conference a million plus.

So this is what I would do if I was running the Belt.

Find an Olympic sports partner for APP close to Charlotte or at least close to APP.

Pick up UMass for football only
Pay all three football only members half shares of the CFP.
Split the share and a half withe the nine full members should be about two million.
Everyone keeps their APR money of course.
Give the football only members a four year revolving contract.

Down the line if JMU ,MSU and UTC or Coastal has built up to an FBS level then add full members.Helps exposure turns the heat up on expansion candidates increases exposure in unlikely places.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - ValleyBoy - 04-17-2015 11:03 PM

Conference membership will come up as a topic at the meeting in Montgomery. The biggest issue I see at this time is scheduling for basketball which will have to be addressed some time in the near future. This is one reason that I see for the making any additions to the conference.

Now this is just my option, but I feel that the Sun Belt's master plan barring anyone leaving the conference would be as following.

East

1. USA
2. Troy
3. Georgia Southern
4. Georgia State
5. AppSt
6. Add one of the following. EKU, JMU, Liberty, Jax St, or UTC.

West

1. StAte
2. Ragin' Cajuns
3. UL-M
4. Texas State
5. UALR (non-football) NMSU (football-only)
6. UTA (non-football) Idaho (football-only)

If Missouri State is added in the West (all Sports) Idaho would be dropped and a new non-football member would be added in the East such as UAB.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - Georgia_Power_Company - 04-18-2015 09:03 AM

I believe conference membership will be discussed I'm just not so sure that anyone will come up for a vote this year.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - goodknightfl - 04-18-2015 09:25 AM

(04-17-2015 08:09 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I don t think the drive for 12 is about football anymore since 12 is not required anymore for a champ game. I think it is about getting 12 now to divide into divisions for other sports.

UAB bb only, could cure both.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - DrGonzo - 04-18-2015 09:42 AM

I haven't seen SunBeltInsider tweet about it, so it must not be happening.

Will a 12th team be added this spring? - BeliefBlazer - 04-18-2015 10:33 AM

They may not be added but EKU will be discussed. I would hope they wait on UAB and C-USA decision. After the MVC, Sun Belt might be the next best option for my Blazers.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - arkstfan - 04-18-2015 12:37 PM

I doubt anyone has 9 votes unless someone surprising jumps in.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - CrazyCajun - 04-18-2015 01:18 PM

(04-18-2015 10:33 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  They may not be added but EKU will be discussed. I would hope they wait on UAB and C-USA decision. After the MVC, Sun Belt might be the next best option for my Blazers.

UAB has told Benson they are not interested. EKU does not have the votes right now, so Benson will just have to wait until after C-USA makes their final decision.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - ark30inf - 04-18-2015 04:29 PM

(04-18-2015 01:18 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  
(04-18-2015 10:33 AM)BeliefBlazer Wrote:  They may not be added but EKU will be discussed. I would hope they wait on UAB and C-USA decision. After the MVC, Sun Belt might be the next best option for my Blazers.

UAB has told Benson they are not interested. EKU does not have the votes right now, so Benson will just have to wait until after C-USA makes their final decision.

UAB's fans are probably more interested because it is a viable path back to FBS football. This is most likely a big negative for their admin who has no intention of bringing football back and have their eye on a conference with a basketball focus.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - CrazyCajun - 04-18-2015 04:36 PM

(04-18-2015 04:29 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

UAB's fans are probably more interested because it is a viable path back to FBS football. This is most likely a big negative for their admin who has no intention of bringing football back and have their eye on a conference with a basketball focus.

Their administration is definitely focused on a good basketball conference and its doesn't hurt to have good baseball and softball as well. That is why they have approached the Missouri Valley Conference. Remember, Benson is the person we are looking at to convince them the Sun Belt is that place.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - ark30inf - 04-18-2015 04:57 PM

(04-18-2015 04:36 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Their administration is definitely focused on a good basketball conference and its doesn't hurt to have good baseball and softball as well. That is why they have approached the Missouri Valley Conference. Remember, Benson is the person we are looking at to convince them the Sun Belt is that place.
Yeah, but FBS football may actually be a negative. That admin probably doesn't want their fans to get any ideas.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - NewTimes - 04-18-2015 05:32 PM

(04-17-2015 10:20 PM)MJG Wrote:  The biggest source of league revenue is the CFP money with the terrible TV deal.

A travel partner for APP is needed to save money.
The playoff money is capped at twelve but the payout is per team.
So having less than twelve for football cost the conference a million plus.

So this is what I would do if I was running the Belt.

Find an Olympic sports partner for APP close to Charlotte or at least close to APP.

Pick up UMass for football only
Pay all three football only members half shares of the CFP.
Split the share and a half withe the nine full members should be about two million.
Everyone keeps their APR money of course.
Give the football only members a four year revolving contract.

Down the line if JMU ,MSU and UTC or Coastal has built up to an FBS level then add full members.Helps exposure turns the heat up on expansion candidates increases exposure in unlikely places.
How fast would Coastal be able to make the jump to FBS? As there has been no formal announcement from Coastal, and EKU, JMU and Liberty have, what time frame is needed for Coastal to meet the requirements for facilities and teams? I know their FB attendance would have to double to meet the 15k minimum.

RE: Will a 12th team be added this spring? - AtlantaJag - 04-18-2015 05:47 PM

(04-18-2015 04:57 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-18-2015 04:36 PM)CrazyCajun Wrote:  

Yeah, but FBS football may actually be a negative. That admin probably doesn't want their fans to get any ideas.

Exactly. Plus, I understand that the UAB administration does not want the MVC officials to think they are shopping around. The old "I only have eyes for you," strategy.