CSNbbs
EKU - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: EKU (/thread-734678.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

EKU - cleburneslim - 04-14-2015 05:06 PM

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/04/14/3800858_q-a-major-goal-for-new-eku-athletics.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&rh=1

RE: EKU - CrazyCajun - 04-14-2015 05:10 PM

(04-14-2015 05:06 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  http://www.kentucky.com/2015/04/14/3800858_q-a-major-goal-for-new-eku-athletics.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&rh=1

They don't have the votes, best of luck to them in raising football to a level that attracts 20,000 fans for home games.

RE: EKU - msm96wolf - 04-14-2015 05:15 PM

Again, why I think I will see FBS Independent Rules relaxed since conference expansion appears to be less and less likely.

RE: EKU - ark30inf - 04-14-2015 06:06 PM

(04-14-2015 05:15 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Again, why I think I will see FBS Independent Rules relaxed since conference expansion appears to be less and less likely.

EKU doesn't have much of a chance at Independent even if they relax the rules. In fact Liberty is about the only school that would have a shot at making it.

RE: EKU - ARSTATEFAN1986 - 04-14-2015 06:14 PM

(04-14-2015 06:06 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 05:15 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  Again, why I think I will see FBS Independent Rules relaxed since conference expansion appears to be less and less likely.

EKU doesn't have much of a chance at Independent even if they relax the rules. In fact Liberty is about the only school that would have a shot at making it.

He needs to realize that the WAC is not one of the second 5.

RE: EKU - cleburneslim - 04-14-2015 08:24 PM

(04-14-2015 06:06 PM)ark30inf Wrote:  

Ive heard others mention the idea of a group of independents who schedule each other to fill schedules.

RE: EKU - RamblinRedWolf44 - 04-14-2015 08:33 PM

I know their's been much reservation about the addition of EKU, but I've always been a proponent of it and if/when they update their facilities and organize themselves to be a viable FBS program, I'd certainly would welcome the Colonels into the league should it happen

RE: EKU - GaSoEagle - 04-14-2015 08:40 PM

I give EKU credit. They want in to FBS and are letting their intentions be known. I would not be opposed to EKU either. I know they have some work to do in facilities, but it makes it much easier to invest in facilities when you know where you are headed.

If no one is added this year (and I don't expect anyone to be added) I would say EKU has a chance in 2016 to be a candidate.

Re: RE: EKU - Georgia_Power_Company - 04-14-2015 08:56 PM

(04-14-2015 08:40 PM)GaSoEagle Wrote:  I give EKU credit. They want in to FBS and are letting their intentions be known. I would not be opposed to EKU either. I know they have some work to do in facilities, but it makes it much easier to invest in facilities when you know where you are headed.

If no one is added this year (and I don't expect anyone to be added) I would say EKU has a chance in 2016 to be a candidate.

I like EKU but just as you said they have to get the football facilities up to speed plus they really need to prove they can raise the funds for those added scholarships. Should they do that I believe they should be choice #1.

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: EKU - cleburneslim - 04-14-2015 09:04 PM

No mention of their inability to even get close to the minimum of 15000 fans for any game?

RE: EKU - GaSoEagle - 04-14-2015 09:09 PM

Some are saying there is less need for a 12th team now that deregulation is apparently going to happen. For football that is true I think. But for olympic sports the Sun Belt badly needs a 12th team so the conference can divide into divisions.

My prediction is nothing will be done until something is decided about UAB and CUSA. It is possible the Belt could lose a team if UAB is thrown out and are replaced. That decision is not coming until early June so I would suspect it is very unlikely the Sun Belt will make any decision until then.

I think next year is the year that a 12th is added --- assuming we stay at 11 and do not lose a team to CUSA before then.

RE: EKU - EKUSteve - 04-14-2015 09:28 PM

(04-14-2015 09:04 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  No mention of their inability to even get close to the minimum of 15000 fans for any game?

We discussed this all day on another thread. That horse is laying dead and bloody over there....

RE: EKU - cleburneslim - 04-14-2015 10:04 PM

Well what was decided?

RE: EKU - LexColonel - 04-14-2015 10:54 PM

Guess everyone who doubts EKU knows more than the EKU president, Board of Regents, and the AD. The AD has been quoted in the last two days on the Internet and in the local media (newspapers and on Lexington television stations) that a move to FBS was still on the agenda. Second to hiring a new basketball coach, which happened last week. it is evident this is still under serious consideration. The administration is moving forward doing the things that need to be done. I have no reason to doubt that EKU is any less likely to get things in place than anyone else (other than Liberty who seems to have boat loads of money thrown their way?).

RE: EKU - EKUSteve - 04-15-2015 06:53 AM

(04-14-2015 10:04 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  Well what was decided?

Basically a group is saying we need to be drawing a lot more fans now before moving up and me countering by saying we aren't drawing because many of the fans really don't care about many of the OVC teams we play so they don't come. We'll draw better if we are playing WKU, and some of the other teams that were rivals in the past plus playing App St, Ga So in conference will draw better for us.

Only real drawing card game in the OVC for us is Jax St and sometimes EIU.

RE: EKU - Libertygrad01 - 04-15-2015 07:19 AM

You made the playoffs last year and had less than 2,000 at a home playoff game. Let that sink in, less than 2,000 and I'm sure ISU brought a few hundred. As bad as KY has been, if UK and EKU plays on the same day EKU won't have the needed support.

RE: EKU - runamuck - 04-15-2015 07:21 AM

(04-14-2015 09:04 PM)cleburneslim Wrote:  No mention of their inability to even get close to the minimum of 15000 fans for any game?

neither do many of the mac schools and none have been sent down to fcs.

RE: EKU - Libertygrad01 - 04-15-2015 07:22 AM

I lived in the area for 11 years and I'm very aware of the issues EKU will have going forward. I'm not a hater, in fact I like EKU.

RE: EKU - EKUSteve - 04-15-2015 07:49 AM

(04-15-2015 07:19 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  You made the playoffs last year and had less than 2,000 at a home playoff game. Let that sink in, less than 2,000 and I'm sure ISU brought a few hundred. As bad as KY has been, if UK and EKU plays on the same day EKU won't have the needed support.

I know. I was there. We haven't been the lone ranger on this. We have no students around and the dorms are closed. We had about the same when we played JMU several years ago.

For perspective, WKU only had 3300 at the last FCS playoff game they hosted on Thanksgiving weekend as well. A few years before that WKU almost disbanded the entire football program due to lack of attendance. Once there administration got behind football, things started moving for them.

Maybe we'll struggle, but I feel that if we need to move up and get back on the level with many of our historical rivals. Not having WKU come to town every other year hurts our attendance numbers badly. Not playing schools at home like Appalachian State and Georgia Southern or Marshall and Middle Tennessee hurts attendance. Those were our big rivals until the move ups occurred. I'm happy we have an administration for once that sees sports as a way to promote the school as opposed to several previous ones who either were ambivalent about sports or anti-sports.

I'll be interested to see how the new AD handles all this as one of the challenges will be to fund the new sports we will need to field for meeting Title IX as well as the increase in football scholarships and coaching staff across the board without increasing the amount of money coming out of the general fund.

Yes, we have challenges (UK up the road and Keenland in October), but I don't think the administration is turning a blind eye to the issues and just trying to move up for move up sake.

RE: EKU - WKUFan518 - 04-15-2015 08:22 AM

(04-15-2015 07:19 AM)Libertygrad01 Wrote:  You made the playoffs last year and had less than 2,000 at a home playoff game. Let that sink in, less than 2,000 and I'm sure ISU brought a few hundred. As bad as KY has been, if UK and EKU plays on the same day EKU won't have the needed support.

UK might have a better chance winning football games if they just make EKU their minor league team and can take call ups as needed during the season...

I don't get why EKU does not separate themselves from UK instead of hiring anyone and everyone with ties to UK...How in the world would that help them move to FBS? EKU=EMU....Geography is a huge problem for EKU, just glad WKU can be separate from UK and have our own hires and connections that do not have anything to do with UK...