CSNbbs
Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers (/thread-734250.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - CajunFanatico - 04-09-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:Just two years ago half of the top 10 belonged to C-USA and we had no teams outside the top 40. Now due to some questionable replacements by C-USA bossman Britton Banoskwy, seven of our 14 schools are in the bottom 25. The overall average for a C-USA stadium on game day is 19,934. The top three teams that fill seats keep the conference respectable, without them it would look really ugly. Times have changed and getting twenty thousand for a G5 game is considered good I guess.

Fortunately, for the Sun Belt, Conference USA went after flashy market names instead of snatching the best available football teams. While we anxiously wait for the "great potential" that the big city schools have the Sun Belt is automatically capitalizing in seeing some of their weaker programs raided. They have supplemented their power teams(Arkansas State, Lafayette) with proven up and coming schools (Georgia Southern, Appalachian State)that might be small markets, but they sure do love their teams and fill up the stadium.

http://www.minerrush.com/2015/4/7/8148419/group-of-five-attendance-numbers-aac-mw-mac-sun-belt-cusa

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - Gemofthehills - 04-10-2015 07:25 AM

Funny when most on the board discount JSU as a potential member while pushing EKU, Mizz ST and others with lower attendance.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - runamuck - 04-10-2015 07:33 AM

(04-10-2015 07:25 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Funny when most on the board discount JSU as a potential member while pushing EKU, Mizz ST and others with lower attendance.

probably because jsu is somewhat of a lowly regarded regional school but yes does have a football team.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - TheEagleWay - 04-10-2015 07:35 AM

Favor towards the media market strategy is slowly melting away.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - EigenEagle - 04-10-2015 07:42 AM

(04-10-2015 07:25 AM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  Funny when most on the board discount JSU as a potential member while pushing EKU, Mizz ST and others with lower attendance.

I think people are more pessimistic about getting the votes to let JSU in than them being a good member.

Oh yeah, and….

[Image: fcs_saga_05_zpsee5f4786.png]

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - rbostic218 - 04-10-2015 08:09 AM

I would take JSU over EKU or MSU only thing attractive for Missouri St is their Basketball and EKU there is nothing appealing.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - NCeagle - 04-10-2015 08:40 AM

(04-10-2015 07:42 AM)EigenEagle Wrote:  

I think people are more pessimistic about getting the votes to let JSU in than them being a good member.

Oh yeah, and….

[Image: fcs_saga_05_zpsee5f4786.png]

03-lmfao

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - arkstfan - 04-10-2015 10:23 AM

First rule of expansion. Add teams who are close but not too close. You just don't go out of your way to add schools who overlap too much in the pursuit of fans and recruiting base.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - ark30inf - 04-10-2015 10:47 AM

There are a lot of considerations in choosing who to offer the potentially last ticket into FBS to. EKU and its fans for instance seems eager to accept the ticket and don't hold their nose when discussing it. This is a positive for them.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - bamaEagle - 04-10-2015 10:59 AM

What does JSU average? I have been to a few games there over the past couple years where the announced attendance was over 20k, but it was very obvious that the place may have been half full. Pulling some Georgia State attendance shenanigans.

Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - CajunFan3406 - 04-10-2015 01:38 PM

I'm on the mobile site so I see less poster info, so forgive my ignorance. But what JSU are we referring to this time?

Is this the same JSU that had a fan on here a few weeks back giving Troy fans trouble? Or is it the JSU that UL is playing in baseball this weekend? I'm lost.

Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - bamaEagle - 04-10-2015 01:44 PM

(04-10-2015 01:38 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  I'm on the mobile site so I see less poster info, so forgive my ignorance. But what JSU are we referring to this time?

Is this the same JSU that had a fan on here a few weeks back giving Troy fans trouble? Or is it the JSU that UL is playing in baseball this weekend? I'm lost.

Jacksonville State in Jacksonville Alabama. The team that likes to brag about the Birmingham market, but has zero presence in Birmingham.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - Gemofthehills - 04-10-2015 04:47 PM

(04-10-2015 10:59 AM)bamaEagle Wrote:  

What does JSU average? I have been to a few games there over the past couple years where the announced attendance was over 20k, but it was very obvious that the place may have been half full. Pulling some Georgia State attendance shenanigans.

Not sure somewhere in 17,000-18,000 range. I would say our counting method is real similar to other non sellout schools. I've been to several games through the country and we have more in attendance than most FCS schools and comparable to most low level FBS schools.

Question, which game did you attend because we have only had a few games with over 20,000 in attendance and those would be the most unquestionable counts?

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - Gemofthehills - 04-10-2015 04:49 PM

(04-10-2015 01:44 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 01:38 PM)CajunFan3406 Wrote:  I'm on the mobile site so I see less poster info, so forgive my ignorance. But what JSU are we referring to this time?

Jacksonville State in Jacksonville Alabama. The team that likes to brag about the Birmingham market, but has zero presence in Birmingham.

We can't help which market the university is located.
If you don't like the school fine.

Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - bamaEagle - 04-10-2015 08:46 PM

(04-10-2015 04:47 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  

Not sure somewhere in 17,000-18,000 range. I would say our counting method is real similar to other non sellout schools. I've been to several games through the country and we have more in attendance than most FCS schools and comparable to most low level FBS schools.

Question, which game did you attend because we have only had a few games with over 20,000 in attendance and those would be the most unquestionable counts?

Last couple UTC games there and an EKU game, but I don't remember which year EKU was.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - AppManDG - 04-11-2015 07:57 AM

(04-09-2015 11:05 PM)CajunFanatico Wrote:  
Quote:Just two years ago half of the top 10 belonged to C-USA and we had no teams outside the top 40. Now due to some questionable replacements by C-USA bossman Britton Banoskwy, seven of our 14 schools are in the bottom 25. The overall average for a C-USA stadium on game day is 19,934. The top three teams that fill seats keep the conference respectable, without them it would look really ugly. Times have changed and getting twenty thousand for a G5 game is considered good I guess.

Fortunately, for the Sun Belt, Conference USA went after flashy market names instead of snatching the best available football teams. While we anxiously wait for the "great potential" that the big city schools have the Sun Belt is automatically capitalizing in seeing some of their weaker programs raided. They have supplemented their power teams(Arkansas State, Lafayette) with proven up and coming schools (Georgia Southern, Appalachian State)that might be small markets, but they sure do love their teams and fill up the stadium.

http://www.minerrush.com/2015/4/7/8148419/group-of-five-attendance-numbers-aac-mw-mac-sun-belt-cusa

How are those big media market chools workin out for ya Banowsky?

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - DrGonzo - 04-11-2015 08:01 AM

This was our lowest attended season in a many years, mostly due to weather (two monsoons and a blizzard).

App will break the top 10 this year.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - Gemofthehills - 04-11-2015 08:11 AM

(04-10-2015 08:46 PM)bamaEagle Wrote:  
(04-10-2015 04:47 PM)Gemofthehills Wrote:  

Last couple UTC games there and an EKU game, but I don't remember which year EKU was.

It would have been the UTC game. The only UTC game with an announced attendance over 20,000 was the first game in the improved stadium. This game had several more people than 20,000 at the game, very close to capacity. EKU games have never been announced over 20,000. The only two other games were SEMO in 2010, same year as UTC, when we had a new stadium and a win over Ole Miss working for us and 2013 UNA game with a new coach and a old time rival to raise the interest. Prior to 2010 our stadium would not hold 20,000 so we only had away game with greater attendance.

We had three games in the history of the stadium with announced attendance over 20,000.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - Vobserver - 04-11-2015 09:37 AM

If we can convince the morons in our athletic administration to do like everyone else and report tickets sold instead of butts in seats, or even to actually count everyone who enters the stadium, you will see a significant jump in UL's attendance this fall.

RE: Group of Five Football Attendance Numbers - CajunFanatico - 04-11-2015 11:22 AM

(04-11-2015 09:37 AM)Vobserver Wrote:  If we can convince the morons in our athletic administration to do like everyone else and report tickets sold instead of butts in seats, or even to actually count everyone who enters the stadium, you will see a significant jump in UL's attendance this fall.

True, though I get a lot of mileage out of that fact. On some of the other boards I visit, every time the conversation turns to attendance and I comment the Cajun program may be the only one left that actually reports butts in the seats, I get challenged to prove it.

It´s always fun to link the story, then..........silence.03-lmfao