CSNbbs
5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 (/thread-734086.html)

Pages: 1 2 3

5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - IdahoCajun - 04-08-2015 04:43 PM

http://touch.capitalgazette.com/#story/os-sun-belt-preview-five-conference-games-to-watch-20150325/

Sun Belt preview: Five conference games to watch in 2015

Matt Murschel, Orlando Sentinel
Updated March 27, 2015

For the first time in quite some time, the Sun Belt enters the season unchanged.

"Conference realignment made the league’s membership somewhat of a revolving door with schools coming-and-going every season. Facing stability, here are five league games to watch heading into 2015:"

Georgia State at New Mexico State
Saturday, Sept. 12
The Buzz: Beginnings can be difficult. In two years of existence, Georgia State is 1-23 overall with the Panthers still seeking their first Sun Belt win. If this team hopes to get its first conference win, the best shot could come in this early showdown. New Mexico State won just once in league play  – a 34-31 win over Georgia State. Both programs return 17 starters and figure to show improvement in 2015.

South Alabama at Troy
Saturday, Oct. 3
The Buzz: For the first time in close to a quarter of a century, Troy will open Sun Belt play without legendary coach Larry Blakeney on the sidelines. Former assistant coach Neal Brown returns to reboot a program that suffered through its fourth losing season in the past 14 years. South Alabama, meanwhile, is coming off a 6-win season and its first bowl game in the program’s short history.

ULM at Louisiana-Lafayette
Saturday, Oct. 31
The Buzz: In four seasons under Mark Hudspeth, Louisiana-Lafayette has won 36 games including four straight New Orleans Bowl. The Ragin’ Cajuns have quickly become the favorites in the Sun Belt conference race and have owned this Battle of the Bayou series, winning six of the past seven games including last season’s 34-27 win over the Warhawks – who suffered their third losing season under Todd Berry.

Geogia Southern at Appalachian State
Thursday, Oct. 22
The Buzz: The two latest additions to the Sun Belt continue their Black & Blue Brawl rivalry with this showdown at Kidd Brewer Stadium. Last season, Georgia Southern jumped out to a 17-point first-half lead on the Eagles ways to a 34-14 win. It snapped a three-game winning streak by the Mountaineers in the series as Appalachian State went on to win 7 games in its first season in Football Bowl Subdivision.

Georgia State at Georgia Southern
Saturday, Dec. 5
The Buzz: If Sun Belt officials are looking for a rivalries to promote, this Peach state series could fit the bill. Last season, these two programs where on different ends of the standings with Georgia Southern capturing the conference championship in its inaugural year, while Georgia State finished with one win. In their matchup last season, Nick Arbuckle threw four touchdown passes and Matt Breida ran for four more scores as the Eagles rolled over Georgia State, 69-31.

I can think of at least 3 matchups better than the 5 listed. I'll go along with ULM vs UL and Georgia Southern vs Appalachian St because they are both somewhat rival games but the other 3 games, nope.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - arkstfan - 04-08-2015 04:54 PM

Three years is the record for no change in football line-up. 2006, 07, 08.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - TrueBlueDrew - 04-08-2015 07:55 PM

I'm surprised he didn't include any of TXST's games on this. The TXST at GS game is going to be hugely important I feel like.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - Louisiana99 - 04-08-2015 08:09 PM

How the hell does a team without a conference win end up on 2 of the 5 games to watch? I'm really mean that in the most respectful way possible but you are basically pegged in one to be the pillow fight of the conference... Then watch the game against the defending champ who skull drug them the year before??? Wuttt?

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - Bobcat87 - 04-08-2015 08:26 PM

(04-08-2015 08:09 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  How the hell does a team without a conference win end up on 2 of the 5 games to watch? I'm really mean that in the most respectful way possible but you are basically pegged in one to be the pillow fight of the conference... Then watch the game against the defending champ who skull drug them the year before??? Wuttt?

03-lmfao East Coast Media Bias. . . . Got to play up the Atlanta Market . . . 03-lmfao

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - T-Dog - 04-08-2015 08:27 PM

No Texas State or Arkansas State, yet Georgia State gets in there twice. Someone is still in basketball mode.

5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - CajunFan3406 - 04-08-2015 11:27 PM

This list is awful with exception to the Georgia Southern vs. App game.
Sorry, GaSt and NMSU will be a pillow fight, not tuning into that one. USA and Troy, will probably be an OK game, but amongst the top 5 to watch?? Us against ULM, yeah expecting more of the same. Cajuns will still be better than ULM this coming year. Put the usual us against stAte instead. There's a reason that was always a Tuesday night game. Battle for Georgia. So is watching Georgia Southern skull drag GaSt really something worth watching for anyone besides Georgia Southern fans? I'm not gonna be watching.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - rbostic218 - 04-08-2015 11:28 PM

(04-08-2015 08:26 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  
(04-08-2015 08:09 PM)Louisiana99 Wrote:  How the hell does a team without a conference win end up on 2 of the 5 games to watch? I'm really mean that in the most respectful way possible but you are basically pegged in one to be the pillow fight of the conference... Then watch the game against the defending champ who skull drug them the year before??? Wuttt?

03-lmfao East Coast Media Bias. . . . Got to play up the Atlanta Market . . . 03-lmfao

What team is in the Atlanta market? 05-stirthepot

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - TrueBlueDrew - 04-09-2015 12:07 AM

(04-08-2015 11:28 PM)rbostic218 Wrote:  

The SunBelt has a market in Atlanta. You can see them in the stands wearing all white 05-stirthepot

[Image: 457849658.0.jpg]

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - IdahoCajun - 04-09-2015 12:08 AM

Just curious, in what Market is Georgia St?

Re: RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - panama - 04-09-2015 06:08 AM

The one that was mentioned twice:D

Re: RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - panama - 04-09-2015 06:08 AM

(04-09-2015 12:08 AM)IdahoCajun Wrote:  

Just curious, in what Market is Georgia St?

:D

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - eaglewraith - 04-09-2015 06:30 AM

(04-09-2015 06:08 AM)panama Wrote:  

The one that was mentioned twice:D

Thank you for confirmation that we're in the Atlanta market.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - TroyFootball05 - 04-09-2015 07:27 AM

We'll be ready 05-mafia

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - RamblinRedWolf44 - 04-09-2015 02:34 PM

My Top 5 conference games (I challenged myself to use only one team once in order to get a more diverse list) No particular order as well.

Georgia Southern @ UL-Monroe
The Warhawks came UBER close to crushing the Eagles dream season in the regular season finale game...but didn't. Todd Berry will be on an insanely hot seat and will be looking (Really, NEEDING) a big win to cool the seat; Ga. Southern will be coming off a LONG trip from the Kibbie Dome the week before and traveling yet again to the Swamps of Northeast Louisiana. The first "Battle of the Birds" was fun-I think this one will be again.

Appalachian State @ Georgia State
I bet most of y'all are SHOCKED to see this one on here right? Let me explain-The Mountaineers were certainly redemption kids last season, starting off 1-5 and ending their inaugural SBC season at 7-5 (including knocking off the perennial SBC programs Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette...both on the road). The Mountaineers are hungry for more and if they can get through September unscathed they certainly are capable of doing so...here's my concern; the start of their SBC slate begins in Atlanta against the Panthers...App State the following week has to travel down to Monroe followed by a big home game against the arch rivals, Georgia Southern the very next week. Can you say trap game?

South Alabama @ Troy
The Jags had a historic season in '14; got bowl eligible for the first time in program history, WENT bowling for the first time in their program's short history and not to mention finally beat their instate conference rivals, Troy. I'ts a new day in the land of Troy with Neal Brown stepping in to bring back the Trojans to the top of the 'Belt...a good start would be to knock off the Jags in front of the home crowd. Despite only three games have been played so far between the schools, it's certainly been an entertaining series.

New Mexico State @ Texas State
Bobcats certainly made significant strides last season, reaching bowl eligibility as well yet getting left out in post season play. In 2015, Texas State will be looking to get over the last hurdle and make a bowl game and their schedule certainly helps out. Yeah having to play The Cajuns, Red Wolves and Eagles alll on the road sucks (but they're spread out enough where it shouldn't be too big of a challenge) the flip side is from November 7th-November 28th, not only do they get 3 out of 4 games at home, they're slated to play the #7, #9, #10 and #11 placed teams from the 14 conference standings. This home stretch starts out with the Aggies and if they can open up with a big win to start (and have outside factors play in their favor) Texas State could be in prime position to not only get themselves in a bowl game, but maybe even more.

Louisiana Lafayette @ Arkansas State
Both these squads despise one another (especially beginning in 2011 onward). In three of the last four seasons, the conference title has wound up in either Jonesboro or Lafayette (in '13, both actually!). They've played one another 43 times in a span of five decades. It'll be on National TV yet again and somebody will take a HUGE fall from the conference standings when it's all said and done.

BONUS: Georgia Southern @ Idaho
Just to not leave our buddies in Moscow out, I figure I pick a game for them. This game will be the opening conference game for both squads. As we discussed earlier, the Eagles have a big road match up with the vengeful minded Warhawks the following week after this game. The week before, Georgia Southern will be trouncing the Citadel at home. Have to wonder with a cupcake game followed by a 2600 + mile trip to Idaho make the defending champs lose focus or intensity.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - NewJersey GATA - 04-09-2015 02:51 PM

(04-09-2015 02:34 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  My Top 5 conference games (I challenged myself to use only one team once in order to get a more diverse list) No particular order as well.

The Warhawks came UBER close to crushing the Eagles dream season in the regular season finale game...but didn't. Todd Berry will be on an insanely hot seat and will be looking (Really, NEEDING) a big win to cool the seat; Ga. Southern will be coming off a LONG trip from the Kibbie Dome the week before and traveling yet again to the Swamps of Northeast Louisiana. The first "Battle of the Birds" was fun-I think this one will be again.

I bet most of y'all are SHOCKED to see this one on here right? Let me explain-The Mountaineers were certainly redemption kids last season, starting off 1-5 and ending their inaugural SBC season at 7-5 (including knocking off the perennial SBC programs Arkansas State and Louisiana Lafayette...both on the road). The Mountaineers are hungry for more and if they can get through September unscathed they certainly are capable of doing so...here's my concern; the start of their SBC slate begins in Atlanta against the Panthers...App State the following week has to travel down to Monroe followed by a big home game against the arch rivals, Georgia Southern the very next week. Can you say trap game?

South Alabama @ Troy
The Jags had a historic season in '14; got bowl eligible for the first time in program history, WENT bowling for the first time in their program's short history and not to mention finally beat their instate conference rivals, Troy. I'ts a new day in the land of Troy with Neal Brown stepping in to bring back the Trojans to the top of the 'Belt...a good start would be to knock off the Jags in front of the home crowd. Despite only three games have been played so far between the schools, it's certainly been an entertaining series.

Bobcats certainly made significant strides last season, reaching bowl eligibility as well yet getting left out in post season play. In 2015, Texas State will be looking to get over the last hurdle and make a bowl game and their schedule certainly helps out. Yeah having to play The Cajuns, Red Wolves and Eagles alll on the road sucks (but they're spread out enough where it shouldn't be too big of a challenge) the flip side is from November 7th-November 28th, not only do they get 3 out of 4 games at home, they're slated to play the #7, #9, #10 and #11 placed teams from the 14 conference standings. This home stretch starts out with the Aggies and if they can open up with a big win to start (and have outside factors play in their favor) Texas State could be in prime position to not only get themselves in a bowl game, but maybe even more.

Both these squads despise one another (especially beginning in 2011 onward). In three of the last four seasons, the conference title has wound up in either Jonesboro or Lafayette (in '13, both actually!). They've played one another 43 times in a span of five decades. It'll be on National TV yet again and somebody will take a HUGE fall from the conference standings when it's all said and done.

Just to not leave our buddies in Moscow out, I figure I pick a game for them. This game will be the opening conference game for both squads. As we discussed earlier, the Eagles have a big road match up with the vengeful minded Warhawks the following week after this game. The week before, Georgia Southern will be trouncing the Citadel at home. Have to wonder with a cupcake game followed by a 2600 + mile trip to Idaho make the defending champs lose focus or intensity.

Battle of the birds has a nice touch

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - Bobcat87 - 04-09-2015 02:55 PM

(04-09-2015 02:34 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  My Top 5 conference games (I challenged myself to use only one team once in order to get a more diverse list) No particular order as well.

South Alabama @ Troy

I know you prefeced this by saying these were your Top 5, but NMSU @ TXST?? To each his own I suppose, but I can think of at least 3 or 4 other games that could be more compelling than this:

TX ST Vs ULL - Do we finally get that "monkey" off our back?
TXST Vs USA - potential "Revenge" game, as some see last year's game as costing us a bowl.
TXST Vs GA S. - If not for a costly pick 6 last year, we probably knock the Eagles off, another potential "Revenge" game.
TXST Vs Ark St - Y'all were pretty beat up last year, and I can see y'all coming into this one with a chip on your shoulder, plus it's the next to last game of the year, could be plenty on the line . . . 04-cheers

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - bullitt_60 - 04-09-2015 04:36 PM

(04-09-2015 02:34 PM)RamblinRedWolf44 Wrote:  Appalachian State @ Georgia State

Oh man, what if Georgia State gets their first FBS win against App? I would laugh for YEARS.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - moehler - 04-09-2015 05:29 PM

could happen, with all the big games after Georgia State, it would be really easy us to overlook GS, plus their team is built for playing indoors not on the "frozen tundra" of Boone. I don't know how the game will play out, but I guarantee GS will play much better and make it a much closer game than they did last year, they will be motivated after being embarrassed after the last game.

RE: 5 Sun Belt Conference football games to watch in 2015 - SkullyMaroo - 04-09-2015 06:49 PM

(04-09-2015 02:55 PM)Bobcat87 Wrote:  TXST Vs USA - potential "Revenge" game, as some see last year's game as costing us a bowl.

This series has been GREAT so far!

In 2013, down 31-30, TXST gets the ball with 1:29 left in the game. USA's defense forced TXST into a 4th and 24 situation, but TXST took advantage of USA's Prevent Defense to convert on a 51-yard pass that put them in field goal range. With 4 seconds left TXST kicks the game winning field goal to win 33-31.

In 2014, down 24-20, TXST finds life with 2:26 left in the game at their own 45 yard line. A field goal will not work this time. TXST navigates all the way down to the USA 4. TXST is out of timeouts. There are mere seconds left. There is only time to run one running play or two passing plays. TXST elects to try two passes. The first pass fell incomplete, which means the outcome of the game rested on the final play. The second pass is snapped and fell incomplete as time expires. USA wins 24-20.

Bring on 2015!