CSNbbs
How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Printable Version

+- CSNbbs (https://csnbbs.com)
+-- Forum: Active Boards (/forum-769.html)
+--- Forum: SunBeltbbs (/forum-317.html)
+---- Forum: Sun Belt Conference Talk (/forum-296.html)
+---- Thread: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? (/thread-723879.html)

Pages: 1 2

How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - GaSoEagle - 01-19-2015 09:19 PM

At most of our schools roughly how much do you think this will add to the cost of a scholarship--- $2000 or so dollars or is this low?

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Libertygrad01 - 01-19-2015 10:32 PM

Does the conference have to approve or can each school decide on their own?

Posted from my mobile device using the CSNbbs App

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - freshtop - 01-19-2015 10:37 PM

It was my understanding that it would be decided by conference. I suppose the conference could set a max and then each school could decide whether to hit it or not.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Crump1 - 01-19-2015 11:00 PM

I think that is right. Figure 4k to 5k for head count only. 600k or so a year, ballpark.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - chiefsfan - 01-19-2015 11:57 PM

NCAA passed stipends for head count only. (Gymastics, Volleyball, M,W Basketball, Football, there may be another) Equiovlancy Sports (Baseball etc) may receive a percentage stipend based on their scholarship percentage.

Mohajir said in an interview, that he estimates it costing between 650-750K per year. He's probably a little high. I'd agree with Crump's 600K estimate.

For FBS schools, it's not a big deal, we each get a million dollar check anyway for the CFB Playoff. However, It will be worth watching what the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, and the other top FCS leagues do, because it's going to be much harder for them to afford it.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - balanced_view - 01-20-2015 06:36 AM

(01-19-2015 11:57 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  NCAA passed stipends for head count only. (Gymastics, Volleyball, M,W Basketball, Football, there may be another) Equiovlancy Sports (Baseball etc) may receive a percentage stipend based on their scholarship percentage.

Mohajir said in an interview, that he estimates it costing between 650-750K per year. He's probably a little high. I'd agree with Crump's 600K estimate.

For FBS schools, it's not a big deal, we each get a million dollar check anyway for the CFB Playoff. However, It will be worth watching what the Missouri Valley, Big Sky, and the other top FCS leagues do, because it's going to be much harder for them to afford it.

so how does UTA and UALR deal with this, without the million dollar check? will the Sun Belt allow them to opt out of paying the full cost of scholarship for their other sports?

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Crump1 - 01-20-2015 09:42 AM

Well, they don't have the 85 football slots to pay so it will be cheaper for them. They could really benefit the most if some of the aforementioned conferences elect to not pay.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - warhawk09 - 01-20-2015 11:31 AM

(01-19-2015 11:00 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I think that is right. Figure 4k to 5k for head count only. 600k or so a year, ballpark.

More like 950K-1M

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - CajunAmos - 01-20-2015 12:16 PM

I remember reading that some teams had already responded that they would be willing to go along with this. Does anyone else remember this?

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - GaSoEagle - 01-20-2015 12:18 PM

I think the Sun Belt has no choice but to go along with this. I could see some limits on it however.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - StanMolsonMan - 01-20-2015 12:30 PM

How can you limit it? If you just make it an arbitrary number, the lower cost of living schools get a distinct advantage. If you let the schools run up to the limit, say it is $1000, $1000 dollars can go a heck of a lot further in Troy than in downtown Atlanta. And vice versa, if you let the larger market schools draw up their number, and it gets inflated(which can easily happen in Miami, Boston, Atlanta, Chicago, LA, etc) then the smaller market schools are on the short end of the stick.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - GaSoEagle - 01-20-2015 12:37 PM

I assume this "full cost" addition will begin with the 2015-16 school year.

Certainly I would expect some statement from Commissioner Benson about the Sun Belt position on this soon.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Eagle22 - 01-20-2015 12:56 PM

Would expect there to be federal guidelines & measures that the COA is derived from.

Here's an example of where it is already used for Pell and Stafford grants.

https://ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/attachments/0607Vol3Ch2.pdf

I could see the range of SunBelt program COA costs ranging anywhere from $2K to $8K depending on the different factors.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Crump1 - 01-20-2015 01:46 PM

(01-20-2015 11:31 AM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(01-19-2015 11:00 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  I think that is right. Figure 4k to 5k for head count only. 600k or so a year, ballpark.

More like 950K-1M
How so? 85 for FB, 13 for MBB, 15 for WBB and some for volleyball. We are not talking 200 recipients.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Crump1 - 01-20-2015 01:47 PM

(01-20-2015 12:56 PM)Eagle22 Wrote:  Would expect there to be federal guidelines & measures that the COA is derived from.

Here's an example of where it is already used for Pell and Stafford grants.

https://ifap.ed.gov/sfahandbooks/attachments/0607Vol3Ch2.pdf

I could see the range of SunBelt program COA costs ranging anywhere from $2K to $8K depending on the different factors.
I will wager that there will be caps that will allow everyone in a conference and probably everyone in FBS to pay substantially the same amount.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - trueeagle98 - 01-20-2015 02:01 PM

I've seen several articles and posts about how this could be done. I know Texas announced they will 'pay' all (not just head-count teams) student athletes. I think it will be some max amount based on a percentage of some cost of living calculation set by the NCAA. Then individual conferences can decide what the can afford. I really don't get how you can give some students pay and not others though. Some of the other sports work just as hard or harder and they may not see a dime extra. I'm not for this, but if you are going to do it then it should be across the board.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - warhawk09 - 01-20-2015 02:04 PM

(01-20-2015 01:46 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  

More like 950K-1M
How so? 85 for FB, 13 for MBB, 15 for WBB and some for volleyball. We are not talking 200 recipients.

Uh, no. The non-headcount sports will still be getting the money.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - trueeagle98 - 01-20-2015 02:08 PM

I've seen $$$ amounts range from under 600K to 6M. I think UNC estimated it would cost them an additional 2M in funding. It'll all depend on who is to be paid and what % increase will occur.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Crump1 - 01-20-2015 02:33 PM

(01-20-2015 02:04 PM)warhawk09 Wrote:  
(01-20-2015 01:46 PM)Crump1 Wrote:  

More like 950K-1M

Uh, no. The non-headcount sports will still be getting the money.
That has not been determined and if it does you can bet they won't get the full amount.

RE: How much will "full cost of attendance" add to costs of SB schools? - Miami (Oh) Yeah ! - 01-20-2015 02:35 PM

MAC Commish Steinbrecher was quoted on CBS Sports saying the MAC schools cost from this will range from $500,000 to $1 million. Depending on Title IX and Cost of Living index, etc... Im sure SBC is the same. He also then said that it was no big deal because there are new revenue sources coming on board that will cover it. (CFP payment and TV)

From my understanding of the new rules passed, each conference/school gets to decide on which sports although the number is set by the schools financial aid guidelines whether you're Texas or UL-Monroe. Only difference is I'd guess that G5 conferences will limit the stipend to Football, basketball, baseball, w basketball, volleyball, etc... and can leave off soccer, track, etc... where Texas and the Big Ten will give the stipend to everybody on scholarship and not just revenue sports for men and the equal number of women's sports for Title IX